PDA

View Full Version : Looking for interparty communication system

Recherché
2017-05-29, 03:41 PM
So our level 12 party is getting involved in some serious political conspiracy and we're looking for a way to set up a way to secretly communicate among the party. Ideally no one would be able to figure out we were speaking much less how to decifer it.

We don't have any divine casters but we have a bard and a wizard with lots of crafting feats and about 10,000 extra gp

Lazymancer
2017-05-29, 03:44 PM
Fell Conspiracy feat from Exemplars of Evil?

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-29, 03:48 PM
You can use the bluff skill to secretly communicate with your hands if you know how to speak drow sign language. So if you are a charisma heavy party with one skill point to blow on a language...there you go.

Fell conspiracy is probably the best for your needs. I'm sure that you can design a chaotic aligned version of it so that it isn't obligatorily evil.

tyckspoon
2017-05-29, 03:54 PM
The Mindlink psionic power sounds like what you want. It's not permanent, but it does provide for a nearly undetectable and un-eavesdroppable form of communication - it basically gives telepathy to a chosen group of people. Don't know if there's a reasonable spell/item-based equivalent, sadly.

Edit: Oh, derp. It's Telepathic Bond. 5th level Wizard spell. Can also be made Permanent with Permanency, which is probably worth looking into if your group is going to be getting into politics and espionage.

Bakkan
2017-05-29, 03:54 PM
A permanent Rary's telepathic bond was my first thought.

Lazymancer
2017-05-29, 03:56 PM
You can use the bluff skill to secretly communicate with your hands if you know how to speak drow sign language. So if you are a charisma heavy party with one skill point to blow on a language...there you go.

Fell conspiracy is probably the best for your needs. I'm sure that you can design a chaotic aligned version of it so that it isn't obligatorily evil.
There is no Evil prerequisite for Fell Conspiracy.

Recherché
2017-05-29, 04:19 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention that this is 3.P heavy on the Pathfinder and the party wizard is has Divination as one of his banned schoosl. So no telepathic bond for us.

Bakkan
2017-05-29, 04:27 PM
In Pathfinder, can't you cast spells from a banned school by using two spell slots?

Recherché
2017-05-29, 04:34 PM
It just means that it would be two of his higher slots for 2 hours of communication time.

Deophaun
2017-05-29, 04:43 PM
Here you go: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/message.htm

Bakkan
2017-05-29, 04:50 PM
It just means that it would be two of his higher slots for 2 hours of communication time.

That's why I suggested permanency, though double-checking the details it seems that the wizard would need at least one CL boost to make that work.

Lazymancer
2017-05-29, 04:53 PM
That's why I suggested permanency, though double-checking the details it seems that the wizard would need at least one CL boost to make that work.
Unfeasible either way: very expensive and connects only two creatures.

Recherché
2017-05-29, 04:56 PM
Message is our backup option. It's just that DC to listen in is pretty low

Deophaun
2017-05-29, 05:09 PM
The Wizard could take Improved Familiar and pick up a pseudodragon. The familiar can then relay messages telepathically.

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-29, 05:25 PM
There is no Evil prerequisite for Fell Conspiracy.

I am well aware of that. But the feat isn't called Secret Benefactors Conspiracy

Uckleverry
2017-05-29, 05:33 PM
Ring of Communication, Magic Item Compendium. You do need to whisper, but you can do it very quietly. Market price 2k per ring.

DEMON
2017-05-29, 05:33 PM
Is Pseudodragon familiar an option in Pathfinder? If so, does it still have telepathy?

Deophaun
2017-05-29, 05:52 PM
Is Pseudodragon familiar an option in Pathfinder? If so, does it still have telepathy?
Yes and yes.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/improved-familiar/
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/dragons/pseudodragon/

Lazymancer
2017-05-30, 04:57 AM
I am well aware of that. But the feat isn't called Secret Benefactors Conspiracy
No. No, it isn't.

I also hope you aren't serious.

Gildedragon
2017-05-30, 09:31 AM
Earrings of the wolf (Drag Compendium)
Use bluff to hide the whispering as something else.

Use prestidigitation to transfer information. Cooling and warming serving as a Morse code, color changes mayhap as words...

icefractal
2017-05-30, 12:50 PM
If this is 3.P, then check out the Bonded Mind teamwork feat. It's not necessary for everyone to take it either, a number of classes have the ability to share a Teamwork feat with the whole party, probably because Paizo realized most were not worth taking the 'standard' way. You could even have a cohort do this.

It's also the prerequisite for one that lets you cast Personal range spells on other people, which could be quite useful depending on the party.

Elkad
2017-05-30, 04:48 PM
5 levels in a Psionic class and a psicrystal works - though the crystal has to relay everything. (at least in 3.5, I don't know PF that well)

Crafting Telepathic Bond items is probably your best bet with what you have though.

Bronk
2017-05-31, 08:00 AM
5 levels in a Psionic class and a psicrystal works - though the crystal has to relay everything. (at least in 3.5, I don't know PF that well)

Crafting Telepathic Bond items is probably your best bet with what you have though.

A little expensive, but Talking Mugs from Dragon 289, 20,000g for a set of two, 40,000g for a set of 4.