PDA

View Full Version : [Concept] Moon Mage concept

Monti
2017-05-29, 06:56 PM
Hello! I'm thinking about some kind of Moon Mage.
Something with loong moon-shaped stuff, or even like moon-like weapon.

I do not know which class to take. Something like Warlock?

Thanks in advance for the answers. ^^"

clash
2017-05-29, 07:12 PM
Archfey warlock works well for this. There is even a moon bow invocation in ua

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-29, 07:19 PM
My first inclination was to suggest the Warlock of the Undying Light, but that has a lot of fire based spells, which...Is mildly strange for this concept. I'd try to ask the DM if you could swap them for equivalent level cold or ice spells for the moon theme, but that requires hacking a UA supplement.

If you like the idea of a Warlock, but you don't get many light spells to my recollection. Flavoring it as a fey thing that causes madness might work. Make your Pact Weapon into a scimitar or a mace with a head shaped like the moon and its rays.

You could do a Light Cleric, which still has the issue of fire spells, but I think you could just not prepare those and go for other spells.

Corran
2017-05-29, 08:07 PM
In terms of a weapon, moonbow (feylock invocation from UA) seems like a good choice as already mentioned, and for melee maybe a sickle (it does look like a half-moon, doesn't it)?

As for class, warlock (fey) could be a good idea (reminds me of the star warlock, or whatever that was called, from 4e -though I dont have much knowledge on fey patrons to suggest any good ideas), but also a moon druid could perhaps work (refluffing the transformation as some form of lycanthropy that you have(?) under your control. Or what about a cleric worshiper of Selune? Nature domain perhaps?

For race, maybe a shifter if you want to go with a lycanthropy lightly related theme?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-05-30, 06:42 AM
Or what about a cleric worshiper of Selūne? Nature domain perhaps?

I tend to see Selūne and Sehanine Moonbow as more Knowledge/Life-domain goddesses. I guess Nature could work too. Eilistraee's portfolio also includes the moon, if you wanted to go for more of a Light-domain approach.

I've heard of a fey prince called the Maiden of the Moon, so you might want to look into her if you go for warlock.

Findulidas
2017-05-30, 06:52 AM
I thought the obvious would be a druid. Nature and mystical spells. They even have a sublclass named after it. You can always homebrew a land choice as well with spells that you think fit and talk with your dm about it. Instead of a land grassland druid a land moon druid I mean. Some spells like daylight can just be reflavored to have the same effect except moonlight.

Arkhios
2017-05-30, 06:56 AM
If you prefer melee instead, you could describe a longsword (or scimitar) as a Khopesh (the crescent-shaped sword of egyptian origin).

As for the moon magic, anything that deals radiant damage would be perfect. For example: Moonbeam.

Bladepact Archfey Warlock/Oath of the Ancients Paladin might work pretty well as a moon-themed "mage", and would be quite the terror in the battlefield, being able to smite both in melee and from range.

Oath of the Ancients would give you access to Moonbeam (@5th Paladin level), and depending on how far you're willing to go into Paladin, you could get Aura of Protection (@6th Paladin level) and Aura of Warding (@7th Paladin level).

Technically Warlock's spell level reaches its peak at 9th Warlock level, so I would at least consider Paladin 11/Warlock 9.

Normally I would be against a Dex-based Paladin, but the above build would actually work best as such. Moonbow Invocation doesn't let you substitute dexterity with another ability so you'll need decent dexterity to be effective (16 would be quite enough; more than that would obviously be a huge bonus).

Maybe a Half-Elf (+1 str, +1 dex, +2 cha): Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 16

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-30, 02:13 PM
I tend to see Selūne and Sehanine Moonbow as more Knowledge/Life-domain goddesses. I guess Nature could work too. Eilistraee's portfolio also includes the moon, if you wanted to go for more of a Light-domain approach.

...Unless something changed in 5e, way back in 3ed, Selune literally WAS the moon. So how is she NOT a moon goddess?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-05-30, 02:27 PM
...Unless something changed in 5e, way back in 3ed, Selune literally WAS the moon. So how is she NOT a moon goddess?

Yes, yes Selūne is still the literal moon. There isn't a 'Moon' domain though, unless you've got some homebrew up your sleeve, so I'm saying a cleric of Selūne would be a Life or Knowledge cleric from a mechanical standpoint. Healing and navigation are parts of her schtick after all, and her elven aspect Sehanine is a goddess of secrets. I didn't think Corran's suggestion of Nature fit so well, because that's more closely associated with Selūne's daughter Chauntea. Selūne is more about the light that created the world than the world itself.

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-30, 02:38 PM
Ah, my mistake, I didn't understand what you meant. At least I agree that nature is far more Chauntea's thing...Since she kinda is the planet. I assume the DM isn't going to appreciate homebrew, because I think many settings could use a Moon domain and the Light Domain doesn't really work for that. I hope that finds its way into a UA eventually.

I take it that Warlock/Cleric with a domain that represents a different domain (Knowledge/Secrets/Life) of the moon isn't an option?

Corran
2017-05-30, 03:46 PM
Yes, yes Selūne is still the literal moon. There isn't a 'Moon' domain though, unless you've got some homebrew up your sleeve, so I'm saying a cleric of Selūne would be a Life or Knowledge cleric from a mechanical standpoint. Healing and navigation are parts of her schtick after all, and her elven aspect Sehanine is a goddess of secrets. I didn't think Corran's suggestion of Nature fit so well, because that's more closely associated with Selūne's daughter Chauntea. Selūne is more about the light that created the world than the world itself.
Yeah, nature was just a wild guess on my part.

------------
Ok, time for the silly idea of the day...
Gnome artificer, worshiper of Selune (^ aarrggh, it just wont go above the ''u'' :smallsigh:).
This character, along the course of the campaign, tries to perfect the design of their transportation means that will get them to the actual moon. While also trying to gather the gold and possible rare material that will be needed for the construction of this ''machine'', which could be anything from a HUGE catapult :smalltongue: (trebuchet?) to a small rocket! (Personally, I'd go with the catapult)
What???! I warned it was a silly idea in the very beginning! :smallsmile: