PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Legitimacy of Turning Healing into Nonlethal Damage

Brannmuffyn
2017-05-29, 07:12 PM
Another player in a game I am currently playing in floated the idea of using Snowcasting and Nonlethal Substitution to convert healing into nonlethal damage.

Snowcasting says this:

If you add a handful of snow or ice as an additional material component to a spell when you cast it, the spell gains the cold descriptor.This does not actually change the nature of the spell you cast; a fireball cast with this feat still deals fire damage, but since it also carries the cold descriptor, it can be augmented by a number of feats listed in this chapter, such as Cold Focus and Frozen Magic. If you add a handful of snow or ice as an additional material component to a spell when you cast it and that spell already has the cold descriptor, you increase the effective level of the spell being cast by +1. Adding this additional material component requires you to spend a move action immediately before the spell is cast to gather fresh snow or ice from the surrounding environment. This snow or ice can be magically created by a conjuration spell, but no other ice manifested by a spell will do. You may take no other action between gathering the snow or ice and casting the spell.

Nonlethal Substitution says this:

Choose one type of energy (acid, cold, electricity, or fire). You can then modify any spell with the chosen descriptor to deal nonlethal damage instead of normal energy damage. The nonlethal spell works normally in all respects except the type of damage dealt-for example, a nonlethal fireball has the same range and area, but since it deals nonlethal damage instead of energy damage, it will not damage objects or set fire to combustibles in the area.
A nonlethal spell uses a spell slot one level higher than the spell's normal level.

So let's take Cure Light wounds for an example -

When laying your hand upon a living creature, you channel positive energy that cures 1d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +5).

Since undead are powered by negative energy, this spell deals damage to them instead of curing their wounds. An undead creature can apply spell resistance, and can attempt a Will save to take half damage.

I hold that this doesn't make sense, but I'm not entirely sure. What are your thoughts?

InvisibleBison
2017-05-29, 07:20 PM
I don't think this would work. Cure Light Wounds doesn't do damage when used against the living, so it can't benefit from Nonlethal Substitution, and undead are immune to nonlethal damage.

Gray Mage
2017-05-29, 08:04 PM
I may have the cold descriptor, but it does not deal damage. Therefore, Nonlethal Substitution doesn't apply.

Jormengand
2017-05-29, 10:08 PM
Weirdly, positive energy damage isn't actually energy damage. Neither is negative energy damage. Nonlethal substitution doesn't, therefore, work.