PDA

View Full Version : Good Cleric spells

danielxcutter
2017-05-29, 09:57 PM
...and by "good", I mean "powerful", "useful", or "fun" - though the Cleric in question is Lawful Good, if you wanted to know.

Yeah, it's me, back for getting more advice for our party. This time, I'm looking for spells I should suggest to the party Cloistered Cleric.

I am aware that there's a Cleric handbook on Brilliant Gameologists, and there's also one saved from the WotC forums here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?450575-The-Cleric-Handbook)... but honestly, I know that there are lots of spells on the Cleric list, and just because it's not one of the best, doesn't mean that it's not worth it.

And also, the Cleric's player says he "wants to play something new". He isn't looking for especially awesome spells(the handbooks I have cover that decently). He does plan to optimize more, if he feels that it's going to be needed.

This is our party layout. I include this because different parties need different spells.

•LG Whisper Gnome Cloistered Cleric 5(Deity: Rill Cleverthrush)

-Stats: 8/16/16/16/16/8

-Domains: Knowledge, Travel

-Feats: Knowledge Devotion*, Obscure Lore, Travel Devotion

-Weapon groups: Basic, heavy blades

-Special: The player says that he's played RPGs a lot, so he wants something new. He doesn't really seem to have optimization in mind - and that's not a problem, since he's the only tier 1 class - but he did say that his character can learn to become better if needed.

Also, the DM allowed him to trade his bonus Knowledge domain for the Devotion feat and take it again from his normal domain choices(Rill Cleverthrush has Knowledge, Travel, and Magic).

Plans on getting DMM: Extend, but not Persistent. It also seems that he's interested in the Reach Spell metamagic feat. He wants to make the buffs he casts last longer, and his healing spells heal more.

Has the Collector of Stories skill trick.

-Items: Masterwork longsword, MW studded leather, Handy Haversack, Reliquary Holy Symbol, Artificer's Monocle, ring of Sustenance, Anklet of Translocation, 5 vials, waterskin, bedroll, 5 scroll cases, chalk, inkpen, ink, notebook

•NG Pixie Unarmed Swordsage 1

-Stats: 4(!)/28(!!!)/14/14/20(!!)/14(Note: Not sure if this includes the +2 from Gloves of Dexterity.)

-Feats: Shadow Blade, Expeditious Dodge(Pixie bonus feat), Weapon Finesse(Pixie bonus feat), Improved Unarmed Strike(Unarmed Swordsage bonus feat), Weapon Focus: Shadow Hand weapons(Swordsage bonus feat)

-Weapon groups: Basic, Light blades, Crossbows

-Maneuvers: Burning Blade, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Shadow Blade Technique, Mighty Throw, Counter Charge, Wolf Fang Strike

-Stance: Child of Shadows

-Special: Her player plans to get an Amulet of Tears ASAP, and is considering on entering Master of Nine later on. He's not sure yet, though.

-Items: Gloves of Dexterity +2, Wyrmfang Amulet, Third Eye: Freedom, Vest of Resistance +1, backpack, blanket, bedroll, waterskin, rations x 5, hooded lantern, oil(1 pint).

•LE Catfolk Warlock 4

-Stats: 12/18/14/14/8/19

-Feats: Mortalbane, Ability Focus: Eldritch Blast

-Weapon groups: Basic, Light blades, Spears and lances

-Invocations: Eldritch Blast, See the Unseen, Beguiling Influence, Baleful Utterance

-Special: His player plans on taking Hellfire Warlock, then taking levels in Binder for Naberius. He says he's going to dive into Binder, because he's never played one before.

-Items: Mithral chain shirt, darkwood buckler, masterwork rapier w/wand chamber, masterwork longspear w/wandchamber, Handy Haversack, wand of Lesser Vigor, 3 scrolls of Knock, Everlasting Rations, 2 waterskins, Healing Belt, Gloves of Energy Admixture

•NG Human Fighter 2/Psion(Nomad) 3

(My character.)

-Stats: 16/10/14/18/13/10

-Feats: Power Attack, Able Learner, Psicrystal Affinity, Track, Improved Initiative, Shape Soulmeld: Shedu Crown

-Weapon groups: Basic, Heavy blades, Exotic(Jotar), Bows, Spears and lances

-Powers: Vigor, Entangling Ectoplasm, Inertial Armor, Energy Ray, Detect Psionics(1st), Share Pain, Dimension Swap(2nd)

-Special: Psicrystal(Nimble). Planning to grab Mindsight later through Open Chakra, Psionic(DM allowed this). DM has ruled that a) Practiced Manifester counts towards bonus PP. b) Psicrystals gain HD.

ACF: Skilled City-Dweller. Changed Ride(from Nomad) to Tumble, and Handle Animal(from Fighter) to Gather Information.

The DM says that I can use the SRD version of Slayer, with no strings attached. I'm going to choose Cerebrilith for my FE(originally tried Psion-Killer, but that one's not psionic).

-Items: +1 deep crystal jovar, +1 padding, masterwork composite(Str +3) longbow, 100 arrows, trident, Handy Haversack, bedroll, flint and steel, tent, soap(2 lbs), 10 sheets of parchment, 50 feet of silk rope, ink, Everlasting Rations, Everfull Mug, gray ioun stone enchanted with Continual Flame, inkpen, 1 jug of Shapesand, torchbug paste x 4, holy water x 4, antitoxin, honey leather tarpaulin, masterwork tool of Psicraft, masterwork tool of Knowledge(psionics), explorer's outfit.

Any suggestions?

Pex
2017-05-29, 10:08 PM
Bless

I've long since lost count how many times the player announced what AC he hits, the DM says it's a miss, I remind the player I cast Bless because he forgot its +1 to hit, the DM says it's a hit. Even at high level the +1 matters though there are plenty of other spells you want or need to cast.

Protection From Evil

At higher level magic items tend to make the bonus to AC and saving throws obsolete, but the protection against mind affecting effects is never obsolete.

Freedom Of Movement

Niche, but when you need it you really need it. You don't want to be grappled by the monsters who so much want to grapple you. It's a nice spell to prepare, but if you don't need it that game day you can convert for emergency healing.

danielxcutter
2017-05-29, 10:15 PM
Bless

I've long since lost count how many times the player announced what AC he hits, the DM says it's a miss, I remind the player I cast Bless because he forgot its +1 to hit, the DM says it's a hit. Even at high level the +1 matters though there are plenty of other spells you want or need to cast.

Hmm, what type was the bonus again?

Protection From Evil

At higher level magic items tend to make the bonus to AC and saving throws obsolete, but the protection against mind affecting effects is never obsolete.

I've heard about this a lot.

Actually, we just got our first mission - disease has broken out in an area of the nearby jungle, and the prime suspects are cultists of disease-related gods. The first's CE, the second's CN. So Protection from Chaos may actually be better, especially since the Catfolk Warlock is LE.

Freedom Of Movement

Niche, but when you need it you really need it. You don't want to be grappled by the monsters who so much want to grapple you. It's a nice spell to prepare, but if you don't need it that game day you can convert for emergency healing.

The Travel domain gives FoM as a (Su) ability, duration = Cleric level, and I may or may not pick it up myself as a psionic power. Still, it's nice.

Psyren
2017-05-29, 11:07 PM
Hmm, what type was the bonus again?

Morale, which makes it redundant with bardsong. Prayer however is a luck bonus, which are harder to come by.

danielxcutter
2017-05-29, 11:09 PM
Morale, which makes it redundant with bardsong. Prayer however is a luck bonus, which are harder to come by.

Except we don't have a Bard! :D

ATHATH
2017-05-29, 11:46 PM
(Greater) Luminous Armor, Create Lantern Archon, and Spiritual Hammer are nice, and since they're Exalted spells, they can be cast spontaneously by any Good Cleric (well, not EVERY Good Cleric, since I suppose that some of them don't have the WIS necessary to cast those spells and such, but still).

danielxcutter
2017-05-29, 11:51 PM
(Greater) Luminous Armor, Create Lantern Archon, and Spiritual Hammer are nice, and since they're Exalted spells, they can be cast spontaneously by any Good Cleric (well, not EVERY Good Cleric, since I suppose that some of them don't have the WIS necessary to cast those spells and such, but still).

Also, you have to be super Good. Like, normal Good doesn't cut it, and the Cleric worships Rill Cleverthrush, a LN god.

Plus you take ability damage.

Rebel7284
2017-05-30, 12:06 AM
I like Close Wounds a lot. Immediate action healing (at range too) allows the cleric to heal exactly when necessary while using those standard actions on something more useful.

ATHATH
2017-05-30, 12:27 AM
Also, you have to be super Good. Like, normal Good doesn't cut it, and the Cleric worships Rill Cleverthrush, a LN god.

Plus you take ability damage.
Being Exalted Good is different from being able to cast Exalted spells. Exalted spells can be cast by any non-Evil character, even Neutral ones.

And the ability damage really isn't that bad, especially if you use one of the numerous ways to heal ability damage quickly (like the Restoration line).

ATHATH
2017-05-30, 12:32 AM
Here's an article about Sanctified spells, for reference: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031004c

Hm. Apparently, Neutral Clerics can also spontaneously cast Sanctified spells. I had already known that they could cast them, but I had thought that only Good Clerics could cast them spontaneously for some reason. Sorry about the misinformation (I suppose it technically wasn't misinformation, since I didn't actually say that Neutral Clerics couldn't do that, but you know what I mean).

Quertus
2017-05-30, 12:40 AM
I'll second Close Wounds, and add Resurgence to the list of most indispensable spells. Especially since you know you've got diseases to save against in the near future.

danielxcutter
2017-05-30, 12:59 AM
Being Exalted Good is different from being able to cast Exalted spells. Exalted spells can be cast by any non-Evil character, even Neutral ones.

And the ability damage really isn't that bad, especially if you use one of the numerous ways to heal ability damage quickly (like the Restoration line).

Here's an article about Sanctified spells, for reference: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031004c

Hm. Apparently, Neutral Clerics can also spontaneously cast Sanctified spells. I had already known that they could cast them, but I had thought that only Good Clerics could cast them spontaneously for some reason. Sorry about the misinformation (I suppose it technically wasn't misinformation, since I didn't actually say that Neutral Clerics couldn't do that, but you know what I mean).

Huh... really? I didn't know that.

Also Clerics are the best at healing ability damage, so it bites less, so yeah.

I'll second Close Wounds, and add Resurgence to the list of most indispensable spells. Especially since you know you've got diseases to save against in the near future.

I gave him a link to use when we were making our characters for the DM to see and choose, and when we started the game he already had Resurgence prepared. Actually he got confused and prepped Ray of Resurgence by accident, but I pointed it out and he fixed it. As for Close Wounds, I'll make sure to mention it the next time he prepares spells.

ATHATH
2017-05-30, 01:55 AM
Also Clerics are the best at healing ability damage, so it bites less, so yeah.
Nah, that honor would probably have to go to Binders. Naberius lets you heal 1 point of ability damage per round. Combine that with Symbionts, Dark Speech, and/or Hellfire Warlock for some fun times.

danielxcutter
2017-05-30, 02:00 AM
Nah, that honor would probably have to go to Binders. Naberius lets you heal 1 point of ability damage per round. Combine that with Symbionts, Dark Speech, and/or Hellfire Warlock for some fun times.

Oh yeah, the Warlock also plans to take levels in Binder because he hasn't played them before and they seem cool. And take levels in Hellfire Warlock.

Kaleph
2017-05-30, 02:11 AM
If you explain me how to attach a file, I can give you the xlsx I used as spell-list for a cleric I played some month ago. It contains up to 9th level spells, with spell description etc. (including reference to the manual's page where you can find it). It was a big work, and it's nice that someone els can also profite of it (so it doesn't feel that much as wasted time :smallbiggrin:).

Since I wanted to play an alternative cleric, I collected some BFC and sneaky spell.

danielxcutter
2017-05-30, 02:19 AM
If you explain me how to attach a file, I can give you the xlsx I used as spell-list for a cleric I played some month ago. It contains up to 9th level spells, with spell description etc. (including reference to the manual's page where you can find it). It was a big work, and it's nice that someone els can also profite of it (so it doesn't feel that much as wasted time :smallbiggrin:).

Since I wanted to play an alternative cleric, I collected some BFC and sneaky spell.

Hmm, I wonder if you could copy that onto Google Documents? I think you can link from there...

Kaleph
2017-05-30, 02:26 AM
Hmm, I wonder if you could copy that onto Google Documents? I think you can link from there...

It's the first time I use Google Documents, maybe I did some mistake. Please confirm that you can open the file. This version is text only, i.e. no functions/ macros. So the CL-depending variables are not calculated (since the rest of the Excel file, including class levels and abilities, is missing.).

EDIT
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OpUW8jD7g8CG_-k8Sl-6i6ogiEyrrt4MGjukyWNCSLs/edit#gid=1523385588

danielxcutter
2017-05-30, 02:29 AM
It's the first time I use Google Documents, maybe I did some mistake. Please confirm that you can open the file. This version is text only, i.e. no functions/ macros. So the CL-depending variables are not calculated (since the rest of the Excel file, including class levels and abilities, is missing.).

Uh... you forgot the link.

Kaleph
2017-05-30, 03:09 AM
Uh... you forgot the link.

Edited. Thank you.

danielxcutter
2017-05-30, 03:13 AM
Edited. Thank you.

You also forgot to share it with other people. It's in the top right corner if I remember correctly.

Darrin
2017-05-30, 07:25 AM
Cleric spells I like. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21691649&postcount=5)

danielxcutter
2017-05-30, 07:28 AM
Cleric spells I like. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21691649&postcount=5)

Not bad! I haven't seen some of those!

Guizonde
2017-05-30, 08:17 AM
searing light was my bread and butter 3rd level domain spell (sun domain). does wonders against undead, does the trick against everything else. the fact that it can be described as a laser beam is brownie points.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/searingLight.htm

another that's niche but if you have it, it might save your hide is regeneration. normally, amputation is rare in dnd. i've been witness to a couple (hands and arms). could save you from an eye of gruumsh, so it will be worth it if you can cast it.

hope this helps.