PDA

View Full Version : Hidden(ish) skin pouches/pockets?

Xarteros
2017-05-30, 02:01 AM
I'm vaguely recalling something like a hidden pocket made into a creature's body, but I might be thinking of something Homebrewed by one of my DMs.

Regardless, all I'm looking for is a simple graft-style pocket that could be sewn into skin, for the purpose of housing a symbiont. I have Vow of Poverty on this character, and my DM has allowed symbionts and basic grafts with VoP (as long as they're found/offered as a reward, instead of paid for with money), so the pocket/graft can't be any type of magic item.

It's mostly a thematic thing, rather than something that's abusive or whatnot, so I'm fairly sure the DM will be fine with it as long as it isn't a magic item.

All ideas welcome =)

Thurbane
2017-05-30, 04:00 AM
A quick search turns up nothing. I suspect it may have been homebrew.

Closest I can think of is the Familiar Pocket spell (SC p.88).

Otherwise, I suggest having a look here for alternatives - Fleshwarping: A List of Grafts, Symbionts, and Related Goodies (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?190350)

Necroticplague
2017-05-30, 04:58 AM
I'm vaguely recalling something like a hidden pocket made into a creature's body, but I might be thinking of something Homebrewed by one of my DMs.

Regardless, all I'm looking for is a simple graft-style pocket that could be sewn into skin, for the purpose of housing a symbiont. I have Vow of Poverty on this character, and my DM has allowed symbionts and basic grafts with VoP (as long as they're found/offered as a reward, instead of paid for with money), so the pocket/graft can't be any type of magic item.

It's mostly a thematic thing, rather than something that's abusive or whatnot, so I'm fairly sure the DM will be fine with it as long as it isn't a magic item.

All ideas welcome =)

BoVD provides vague rules for this, under "Self-mutilators", page 10.

Inevitability
2017-05-30, 05:49 AM
Body Pouch, from Serpent Kingdoms, does what you want. You need to be a Scaled One, though.

Elkad
2017-05-30, 06:08 AM
Play an anthropomorphic possum or roo?

ShurikVch
2017-05-30, 06:20 AM
It's from Dragon #359, "Body Modifications" article
Creation of Skin Pockets required DC 20 check in Heal or Craft (body modifications), and cause 1 damage/HD; accessing the pocket required 1 point of slashing damage

Xarteros
2017-05-30, 09:11 AM
It's from Dragon #359, "Body Modifications" article
Creation of Skin Pockets required DC 20 check in Heal or Craft (body modifications), and cause 1 damage/HD; accessing the pocket required 1 point of slashing damage

That sounds like the one we used =D

Good find!

Body Pouch, from Serpent Kingdoms, does what you want. You need to be a Scaled One, though.

That actually sounds better than what I was looking for!

Reading into that, under the Serpentfolk entry of p5 (as a subcategory of scaled ones) it says that you count as Serpentfolk if you have a Yuan-ti graft or the Snake Blood feat from FRCS. I'm guessing that would mean that if I get a Yuan-ti graft, I can qualify for the Body Pouch feat?

If so, that would actually be really awesome =)

Gildedragon
2017-05-30, 09:15 AM
There's also the Marsupial Pouch item. I think it is from cityscape or maybe complete scoundrel

Edit: Possum Pouch in Complete Adventurer.
It is a pouch that sticks to the skin and is hard to find

Edit edit: sorry. It is a magic item.

IcarusWulfe
2017-05-30, 09:16 AM
Reminds me of a piece of Bioware in Shadowrun

Inevitability
2017-05-30, 09:24 AM
Reading into that, under the Serpentfolk entry of p5 (as a subcategory of scaled ones) it says that you count as Serpentfolk if you have a Yuan-ti graft or the Snake Blood feat from FRCS. I'm guessing that would mean that if I get a Yuan-ti graft, I can qualify for the Body Pouch feat?

If so, that would actually be really awesome =)

Yuan-Ti graft makes you count as a Serpentfolk, Serpentfolk are Scaled Ones, Scaled Ones can take Body Pouch, so yes.

Gruftzwerg
2017-05-30, 01:59 PM
If you are not afraid of becoming evil (and can deal with the ability penalties that it involves), Half-Golem Template could be an option. Let you craft (construct or an effigy master) an arm or leg with an inbuild extra dimensional storage room for some extra money^^.

Fouredged Sword
2017-05-30, 02:36 PM
And for the sake of completeness I will mention the Horde Gullet spell that allows you to turn your mouth into a finite duration bag of holding for anything you can swallow.

ShurikVch
2017-05-30, 03:16 PM
Secret Component Compartment (from Tome and Blood) allow to "built into a tool, weapon, or other item" "a secret compartment ... large enough to hold the components for one spell".
Combine it with Weapon Graft (from Fiend Folio) - and you may get yet one more secret pocket.
Cost: (weapon's price)+15+1000 gp

denthor
2017-05-30, 04:25 PM
Robe of useful items. Use as a base then tweak for your needs.

Thurbane
2017-05-30, 05:18 PM
Yuan-Ti graft makes you count as a Serpentfolk, Serpentfolk are Scaled Ones, Scaled Ones can take Body Pouch, so yes.

Since most grafts have a GP value and/or count as a magic item (by some readings), may be hard to pull off on a VoP character. I've seen this debated before - since it becomes part of your body (i.e. part of you), some don't feel it violates VoP. I'm not going to throw my 2 coppers in, I'll leave that for others.

Robe of useful items. Use as a base then tweak for your needs.

VoP character, no no items unfortunately.

Necroticplague
2017-05-31, 05:26 AM
Since most grafts have a GP value and/or count as a magic item (by some readings), may be hard to pull off on a VoP character. I've seen this debated before - since it becomes part of your body (i.e. part of you), some don't feel it violates VoP. I'm not going to throw my 2 coppers in, I'll leave that for others.

Well, wasn't gonna, but since you invited the discussion...:

1. Grafts are not magic items. They very clearly out-and-out state this in all the versions of the grafting rules I can find.

Grafts are not magic items....[rules for crafting grafts]

A graft is not a magic item: it does not radiate magic once completed, it does not count against a creature's limit for magic items worn, it does not have a caster level, and it is very hard, if not impossible, to salvage as treasure.
2. Yes, Grafts do have a GP value (they even count against a monster's treasure). However, VoP is very explicit about what it disallows. 'things with GP value' isn't it. It's 'material possessions'. And grafts are not material possessions. They're modifications to a character.

Now, a VoPer might have trouble paying for grafts (since money is, a material possession), but they're perfectly allowed grafts if they can avoid paying for them.

Xarteros
2017-05-31, 08:28 AM

I actually mentioned that in my OP =)

My DM is fine with a VoP player gaining grafts, as long as they acquire them without gathering money for the intent of purchasing a graft.

Having an NPC like a Fleshwarper, Sillithar, or a Sibriex apply a graft, or having it granted by a Wish, or found as loot (I recall Ebberon having rules for lootable grafts that just need a surgery to attach), is fine by him.

Some extra finds and creative ideas =) loving it!

Thurbane
2017-05-31, 05:23 PM
2. Yes, Grafts do have a GP value (they even count against a monster's treasure). However, VoP is very explicit about what it disallows. 'things with GP value' isn't it. It's 'material possessions'. And grafts are not material possessions. They're modifications to a character.

I don't think that is as clear cut as you might think. This is a specific point (is it a possession or part of the character) I've seen hotly debated.

However, OP has already stated his DM is fine with it, so it's a non-issue in this particular case.

FWIW, I'd also allow it in my games (so long as the type of graft isn't wildly inappropriate for a goody-two-shoes Exalted character). VoP characters need all the help they can get!

Has anyone made a VoP handbook, out of curiosity?