PDA

View Full Version : Human's bonus feat, what is it and what happens if you change race?

RoboEmperor
2017-05-30, 04:28 AM
I've been reading savage species and this came up.

If I changed my human's race to something else like an outsider, would he lose his bonus feat?

Kaleph
2017-05-30, 04:33 AM
If you read the dragonborn description, this is actually what happens. Also, you loose skill ranks derived by the bonus skill point granted by being a human.

But if you want my opinion, I'd houserule it differently since it doesn't make too much sense to me - especially the skill topic.

Necroticplague
2017-05-30, 05:35 AM
I've been reading savage species and this came up.

If I changed my human's race to something else like an outsider, would he lose his bonus feat?

1. Depends on exactly what means you use to change your race.
2. Outsider is a type, not a race. You can be an Outsider, and still be human (such as a Celestial Human

RoboEmperor
2017-05-30, 05:58 AM
1. Depends on exactly what means you use to change your race.
2. Outsider is a type, not a race. You can be an Outsider, and still be human (such as a Celestial Human

Either an Incubus or an Erinyes, depending on whether I need to stay favorable to the lawful or the chaotic.

Psyren
2017-05-30, 09:31 AM
Either an Incubus or an Erinyes, depending on whether I need to stay favorable to the lawful or the chaotic.

You answered the "what" but not the "how." Are you using a ritual?

RoboEmperor
2017-05-30, 09:51 AM
You answered the "what" but not the "how." Are you using a ritual?

Oh right, probably going to be Wish. So a spellcraft roll to see if I get an ability or not.

Fouredged Sword
2017-05-30, 12:26 PM
Eh, with Wish I would, as DM likely read it as mimicing spells and have it apply shapechange you into an outsider, then kill you, then reincarnate you, set the die roll to a specific number of the RNG table to set your race permanently, then restore the lost level.

As such you would lose one feat of your choice and HD+3 skill points of your choice.

Deadline
2017-05-30, 04:09 PM
The Human bonus feat and skill points are racial abilities. So you'd lose them if you change your race.

RoboEmperor
2017-05-30, 05:00 PM
Eh, with Wish I would, as DM likely read it as mimicing spells and have it apply shapechange you into an outsider, then kill you, then reincarnate you, set the die roll to a specific number of the RNG table to set your race permanently, then restore the lost level.

As such you would lose one feat of your choice and HD+3 skill points of your choice.

There is a ritual spelled out in savage species using wish so you don't have to think it mimics several spells in a row.

You wouldn't lose a feat of your choice though, by RAW you'd lose the feat you got at level 1 with the human's bonus.

Thurbane
2017-05-30, 09:41 PM
Dragonborn Ritual and the Reincarnate Spell are decent indicators of what happens.

The trick (for me, anyway) is trying to take a feat where you keep the benefit after the feat is gone. There aren't many.

Arguably, Open Minded would let you keep the skill ranks. I also thinks there a couple that give you bonus gold at 1st level or similar.

Mordaedil
2017-05-31, 07:45 AM
If you read the dragonborn description, this is actually what happens. Also, you loose skill ranks derived by the bonus skill point granted by being a human.

But if you want my opinion, I'd houserule it differently since it doesn't make too much sense to me - especially the skill topic.

Huh, so what happens if you spent the feats qualifying for a feat you took later? Can you no longer use either feat until you take it again? Does the latest feat gained downgrade as if you lost the recently picked feat instead?

RoboEmperor
2017-05-31, 08:47 AM
Huh, so what happens if you spent the feats qualifying for a feat you took later? Can you no longer use either feat until you take it again? Does the latest feat gained downgrade as if you lost the recently picked feat instead?

You can no longer use any of those feats until you pick it up again. No downgrading, at least by RAW.

Endarire
2017-05-31, 04:17 PM
If you use polymorph and co, you keep your bonus feat and skill points because they're mental aspects of your original race. And it's less work to players to recalculate things.

animewatcha
2017-05-31, 06:56 PM
Looking back at reincarnate, you actually would keep the bonus feat and skill points from a human when reincarnating.