PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 101 Questions to Flesh Out Your Character

Astofel
2017-05-30, 06:52 AM
Let's go ahead and compile some questions that'll bring some more life or detail to characters, because even when you think you know everything about them you can still be surprised.

1. What makes them smile?
2. What makes them laugh?
3. What makes them cry?
4. If they weren't adventuring, what would they be doing right now?

2D8HP
2017-05-30, 07:57 AM
5) Name:

Edgy name generator! Roll 3d20!

d20
First name
Last name (1st half)
Last name (2nd half)

Agony
Beast
Arrow

Dagger
Black
Blade

Ghost
Blood
Blood

Ghoul
Cold
Bone

Gloom
Dark
Crow

Misery
Despair
Dark

Mist
Doom
Demon

Moon
Ever
Death

Pain
Fright
Eye

Raven
Fury
Flame

[Refuses to state first name]
Grim
Heart

Shadow
Hate
Ice

Shudder
Never
Mark

Spider
Pain
Martyr

Talon
Poison
Scar

Twilight
Razor
Shackle

Venom
Steel
Skin

Wander
Storm
Skull

Whisper
True
Snow

Wolf
Vengeance
Sword

A few try-outs:

Talon Despairmartyr
Dagger Razorflame
Twilight Poisonice
Venom Darkcrow
Misery Whisperdeath

Working as intended, it seems.

6), 7), 8) Class, Race, and Tragic Events:

Well, here is an edgy character generator I made for 5th edition D&D. Use with the name generator. Enjoy!

1d6
Race

Human

Half-orc

Drow

Half-drow

Tiefling

Ghostwise Halfling

1d10
Class

Fiend Warlock

Shadow Sorcerer

Assassin Rogue

Undying Warlock

Death Cleric

War Cleric

Berserker Barbarian

Hunter Ranger

Vengance Paladin

Shadow Monk

1d8
Backstory p1
1d8
Backstory p2

I was abused by
Family member(s).

I hate
Dragon(s).

My family was killed by
Orc(s).

I am a transformed
Demon(s).

I am in love with a
Devil(s).

I killed a
Drow

I have the soul of a
Ghost(s).

I work for
Assassin(s).

Alignment:

I'll add some stuff to the class table.

Alignments that are edgy? I would say CG, CN, TN, LN, LE, NE. Gives us a nice 6 alignments.

1d6
Alignment

Chaotic good, Probably racist.

Chaotic neutral, 'classic' edgy character.

True neutral. Pragmatic to the core.

Lawful neutral. Probably serves an evil higher power.

Lawful evil. Lives by her own code.

Neutral evil. Like chaotic good, but probably racist towards more people.

Edit: The characters that are being ended up with are awesome. My tables do have a lot of bugs (killing an orc isn't much), but with the working for your family, what if your family is evil?

9) Fashion accessories:

Grimblade Mourncloud rued birth into this world of pain and especially wearing spiked bracelets and skull epaulets to the mall that matched those adorning Darkfire Stormwind who's tragic deal and awesomicity had no match. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
Verily if Darkfire Stormwind had any tears left to shed, surely they would turn to steam upon release due to the bitter fires that rage inside one such as Darkfire Stormwind! Just a gaze from Darkfire Stormwind steel colored eyes (which were set off well by the spiked bracelets, and skull epaulets) was enough to turn one such as Grimblade Mourncloud into a mere tepid stain at the mall!
Darkfire Stormwind tragic deal and awesomicity were such that Darkfire Stormwind only spoke of Darkfire Stormwind in the third person. Darkfire Stormwind just liked to say Darkfire Stormwind!

10) personality:

Well, hold on, I think we're missing one of the most important parts of the proper edgelord here.

He's got to be misunderstood! His misanthropic nature is simply the outward manifestation of a deep-seated insecurity, resulting from the internalization of the notion that he is apart from others and always will be, that he somehow stands alone, and that no one will ever truly understand the incredible, titanic struggle within himself, nor will he ever truly be able to relate this to another person, no matter how close they become.

Darkedge Shadowblade's behavior and affectations are, in large part, due to this deep-seated need for understanding and acceptance. And yet, as a half-tiefling, half-aasimar assassin, given incredible gifts in the art of death that, in truth, are more of a burden than a boon, who can truly claim to understand or know him? Of course, he does what he must do to survive, and so he will tell himself, as his black-edged knife cuts the throat of one more unsuspecting nobleman, fatted on the wealth of the nation that he's enslaved with his unjust regime; but there will always be that shadow of self-doubt. The kind that can usually only be expressed during brooding internal monologues while Darkedge Shadowblade crouches, hunched and ready to leap at a moment's notice, on the silent gargoyles of the largest church in the city -- itself an impossibly large symbol of greed and lust for power given form in unfeeling stone -- as the rain pours down his hooded and implacable face.

You gotta' have the rain. That makes the whole scene.

:amused:

TurboGhast
2017-05-30, 09:04 AM
11) Why are they adventuring, rather than acting on the answer to question 4?
12) Who are their friends outside the party?

Guizonde
2017-05-30, 09:40 AM
i don't know which backstory i like more:

i am a transformed family member.

i am in love with drow.

one is chuckles, the other describes a lot of edgelords.

13: what do they look like?
14: something unique about them? can be a hat, a skill they're good at, an irrational hatred of accordeons...
15: do they have a family?

AceOfFools
2017-05-30, 01:10 PM
16. What do they want and why?
17. How do they want others to see them?
18. If they could change one thing about themself, what would it be? What stops then from making that change?

AshfireMage
2017-05-30, 01:17 PM
19. What have they done or has happened in their life that they've most proud of?
20. What have they done or has happened in their life that they're the most ashamed of or most want to forget?

Mr. E
2017-05-30, 02:20 PM
21. What did they give up to travel as an adventurer?
22. If they die, who will remember them?
23. What one place or thing do they want to see the most?

Jay R
2017-05-30, 02:46 PM
24. What will you actually say at the table different from what you would say with another PC with the same build?
[My Ranger responds to anything unusual the other players do with, "I will never understand you city folks."]

25. What will you actually have your PC do that is different from what you would do with another PC with the same build?
[My Ranger hates big bullies who pick on smaller people, and always seeks out the biggest foe first.]

26. What goal does your PC have that is different from the goal that another PC with the same build might have?
[When my Ranger joined the party as a guide through the northern forest, he decided that his mission was "To protect you city folk from the forest. Or to protect the forest from you. I'm not sure which yet."]

Jama7301
2017-05-30, 03:04 PM
27. What is their most cherished possession?
28. What is their favorite pastime or hobby from their pre-adventuring days?

Jay R
2017-05-31, 08:30 AM
If you want a real character, define how the PC reacts to the people he sees and interacts with every day.

29. Which PC is your character's closest friend in the party?
30. Which other PC does your character trust most?
31. Which PC is your character's rival?
32. Which PCs would your character risk death to protect?

TurboGhast
2017-05-31, 01:57 PM
33) Why do they like their friends?

Aneurin
2017-05-31, 02:35 PM
34.) What is their favourite food?
35.) What is their favourite drink?
36.) What won't your character do in pursuit of their goals? Where's the line they draw?
37.) What is the character good at?
38.) What is the character bad at?

37 and 38 are more than just 'what your stats say'; you might be the most charming person in the world, and yet still be completely incapable of giving a prepared speech because you stumble over the words every time. Or you might be a smooth talker and find it ludicrously difficult to form a deep personal bond with someone, because you need to 'play it cool' all the time rather than show any kind of vulnerability. Or maybe the thief can't pick a lock because they learnt their skills somewhere where picking locks wasn't actually a necesssary or useful trade skill.