PDA

View Full Version : telepathy

tobian
2007-08-02, 09:50 PM
Ok, I have two questions.

Well, actually, background may help. I am a caster who took a dip into mindbender for the telepathy and:

1) Is the telepathy 2-way? (I doubt it, but just checking)

2) Can I cast spells, with the verbal component being telepathic? (Ex: not talking, again, I sort of doubt it, makes silent spell redundant) However, it does say I can communicate to any creature within 100 feet.

Thanks!

Everyman
2007-08-02, 10:12 PM
Ok, I have two questions.

Well, actually, background may help. I am a caster who took a dip into mindbender for the telepathy and:

1) Is the telepathy 2-way? (I doubt it, but just checking)

2) Can I cast spells, with the verbal component being telepathic? (Ex: not talking, again, I sort of doubt it, makes silent spell redundant) However, it does say I can communicate to any creature within 100 feet.

Thanks!
1) Nope.

2) Nope (the text even says so, if I remember correctly). However, you CAN use telepathy to deliver messages and commands to creatures. So if you ensnare them in a spell, you can then use telepathy to direct them to do things for you.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-08-03, 07:42 AM
1) Nope.
Actually, this is a pretty fuzzy area. The definition of the Telepathy special ability refers to holding "telepathic conversations." Conversation tends to imply two (or more) way exchange.

mostlyharmful
2007-08-03, 07:55 AM
It'll be two way in a very specific sense, you can broadcst to anything with a language within 100' and then you can sense their responses. They aren't broadcasting so it'd be fuzzy and inexact but you can probably pick up strong subvocalizations and possibly basic imagery if the respondant concentrated strongly... all this is just my interpretation, the definition of 'telepathy' is sorely lacking definition

Kaelaroth
2007-08-03, 08:43 AM
Telepathy is two-way. In a sense. You can read their mind?, and speak into the head. Which is a conversation in a way.

mostlyharmful
2007-08-03, 08:47 AM
got to be, otherwise what's the point?

Kaelaroth
2007-08-03, 08:49 AM
See! Mostlyharmful agrees with me!

mostlyharmful
2007-08-03, 08:56 AM
Yeah, like that proves ANYTHING, HA!! this is a guy that thinks Monks have a use :smallbiggrin:

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-03, 08:57 AM
I hate to think what happens to the person who tries to use telepathy on me, and is able to read my mind.

"Oh god! What the hell is this? It's like my psyche is being eaten by fluorescent ants? I don't even know where this is coming from! And pixels are devouring my ability to hear."

Oh yeah, and I'm a bit disturbing too. But it's the fluorescent ants that'll get em.

Kaelaroth
2007-08-03, 09:05 AM
Wait till you see my clone fetish.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-08-03, 09:13 AM
You can do whatever you want in your game but it should be consistent.

With telepathy you can hold a mental conversation. That is why most monsters have the power to converse. Telepathy SU A genie can COMMUNICATE with any creature within 100 feet that has a language.

If your PC can converse mentally with other PCs or beings it should work the same consistently in the campaign. If it wasn't telepathy they would call it missive or mindlink since those powers exist in the game.

IMO treating Telepathy as a 2 way missisve between subjects once it is established by the Telepath makes the most sense to me mechanically when you read the mindlink and missive power descriptions in the EPH.

The Telepath is establishing a conditional 2 way missive linkage between the target and himself the originator to communicate like the basic cup and strings between two people or a basic linked walkie talkie or a phone call. The telepath can establish a two way level 1 power which he can end at will normally. He is not sending and reading thoughts a level 1 and level 2 power combined probably comparable to a level 3 power mechanically.

No you can not cast spells with verbal components using Telepathy if you could use Telepathy to do that you could find it in the rules probably in it's description. You can take the feat Silent Spell to cast spells without speaking.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-08-03, 09:31 AM
Exactly. If you can just "read the other person's mind" as suggested above, then it suddenly grants the ability to use detect thoughts at will, which is clearly not granted by the ability. No, what has to happen for a two-way conversation is that once a creature is contacted it gains the ability to consciously send replies in a manner more in line with the mindlink power.