PDA

View Full Version : DM Help DM advice, PC's backstory - Eberron draconic Sorcerer

enbee75
2017-05-30, 11:03 AM
Have been going around in circles with this so would like to ask on here. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Just about to start a campaign in Eberron (first time!) and not entirely sure where the story will be heading, but want to try and get enough interesting hooks into the characters backstory as I can to be used down the road.

One of the PCs wants to play a half-elven sorcerer with a draconic origin, which is cool - I thought it could be tied in some how with the draconic prophecy. The characters are all going to start with Mark of the Prophecy from 4e Eberron Campaign guide, so will have the flashback to the Mournland happening.

The story she's come up with involves her parents being cult members (half-elf necromancers - probably Blood of Vol followers), who fed her dragons blood when she was young (in a sort of guinea-pig scenario). She then started to manifest crazy powers and ended up destroying her parents' house. She was then sent off packing to receive training from a wizard uncle, at which point she started to become involved in the war.

She's a first time player and she's put some effort into coming up with something, but wanted to offer a few more ties/goals just to be able to mine it later in the campaign.

I was considering these things:

- The experiments on her I thought could be some attempt at bringing back the Mark of Death - is this too far fetched? Especially since she's a half-elf and would have to be a descendant of Vol.

- The parents were trying to gain immortality - wanted to experiment on their daughter first?

- She wasn't fed dragonblood at all, but her parents did bake in some draconic powers in some sort of experiment.

- She was involved in one of the half-elf dragonmarked houses, has manifested the mark, which is the source of her sorcery - her parents may still be involved in the Blood of Vol. Though this is changing her ideas quite a bit.

TL;DR how would a half-elf become a sorcerer with draconic origin with parents involved in eberron cult of Blood of Vol

Thanks!

Khrysaes
2017-05-30, 07:33 PM
Well the dragons and elves in eberron are known mostly for the giant war they had. Much like the giants and dragons. and the giants and quori... man.. lots of race wars.

But the people of argonesson are human, and worship the dragons, they are also more likely to be of dragon descent.

So perhaps the draconic blood came from her human heritage, someone from or descended from argonesson.

Having a elf/dragon mix is... much more volatile story wise, but could be done.

The experimentation method was also recommended to me by my DM. I went with it, just didn't pick dragon sorcerer.

If you are the DM, you could have a look at storm sorcerer or Sea Sorcerer. Which would be very fitting for the half elven house Lyrandar as they come with the mark of storms. It wouldn't be dragon based, but would be an easy theme to fill. Storm sorcerers are also pretty good. Also for story purposes, you could still be descended from a blue or some such dragon. Brass? I always get the metallic ones not gold or silver mixed up. One of them has lightning.

Edit: Thinking about it. Half elf of Lyrandar Tempest Cleric/Storm sorcerer would be awesome. Thor d' Lyrandar!

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-30, 08:01 PM
I am in no way an expert on Eberron, but I'll try to help anyway because I'm not so helpful like that.

- The experiments on her I thought could be some attempt at bringing back the Mark of Death - is this too far fetched? Especially since she's a half-elf and would have to be a descendant of Vol.

Who is to say that a few didn't survive House Vol? I would assume that you could retcon things to make a far flung bastard child unknown to the other houses having survived. That or one of the undead got around things by being 'alive' long enough to do the deed. Half-elves might be a distinct breed in Eberron, but I assume one can be made via natural means.

- The parents were trying to gain immortality - wanted to experiment on their daughter first?

Maybe they were jerks. I get the feeling the player may have been going for this, so I would ask her about this.

If the PC wishes to leave it to you and you want to put a twist on it, the parents DIDN'T test it first on her, but due to her young age, shielded her from potentially nasty experiments. They felt they might have been in danger (which did or did not pass, but was of a nature they couldn't or wouldn't tell a child) and wanted to protect her first and foremost. After all, the other experiments went fine.

- She wasn't fed dragonblood at all, but her parents did bake in some draconic powers in some sort of experiment.

If I am reading this correctly, she was young enough to probably not have fully understood the process or to have hazy memories. Or it was the literal Blood of Vol she got, perhaps solving that descent issue with magical mumbo-jumbo. Having three parents might get around some divination issues AND count magically enough to be an heir.

- She was involved in one of the half-elf dragonmarked houses, has manifested the mark, which is the source of her sorcery - her parents may still be involved in the Blood of Vol. Though this is changing her ideas quite a bit.

I wouldn't do this. A veteran might like the surprise, but letsee if we can't find a way for her idea to remain intact and for you to be happy with the result.

lunaticfringe
2017-05-30, 08:16 PM
IIRC Dragonmarks are the are part of the Draconic Prophecy (literally they're a piece of it) and were originally found on dragons. They could have been pumping her full of blood to try & manifest a Mark to study the Prophecy.

Or create a process for creating Aberrant Marks which were powerful in the lore

DragonSorcererX
2017-05-30, 09:03 PM
Before any bull**** about Dragonblooded Characters in Eberron:

3.5 Eberron Campaign Setting: "Draconic creatures get nuked instantly."

3.5 Dragons of Eberron: "Well, it is not like it was described in ECS and in fact, there is a ****ton of draconic creatures (even half-dragon rakshasas)."

Going by the D&D logic of Specific > Generic, DoE = "Specific" and ECS = "Generic", so you can play draconic characters in Eberron all you want, just don't trigger the goddamn dragons...