PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Mountain Dwarf characters

ZorroGames
2017-05-30, 11:32 AM
Because I have enjoyed playing Dwarf Fighters since OD&D days I have decided that I will initially stick with Mountain Dwarf just to enjoy the flavor for now. Other races some other time so please no trying to sell me in the need to change to some other race right now. Let me enjoy the possibilities and limitations for now.

While I started with Monk just to be different I know that Fighter and Barbarian seem like "natural" optimized classes in many people's minds.

So with a restrictive point buy of 17 (ST) 17 (CO) 15 (any) 8 (any) 8 (any) and 8 (any) what other PHB only (no UA right now) classes might be playable?

Currently I have down a 15 DE to start building a DE Archery fighter who happens to be strong and durable but really prefers sticking it to his/her enemies from a distance, and I think a CH 15 Sorceror might have potential.

Would a 15 WI Ranger work or is the 8 DE a definite killer? Would a TWF Ranger be doable without the Archery aspects?

Would 15 DE rogue crash because of low IN?

Moving into the MAD on steroids minefield, it would seem Bard would flounder on the MAD of CH and De needs, and my Old School leanings towards Cleric might do the same because of WI and CH. Also p, Druid would flounder on the need for WI and IN, Paladin on CH and WI, Warlock on the need for CH and WI, and Wizard on IN and WI. Or is there some outside the box of starting abilities shackles I am missing?

Actually the Fighter, Barbarian, DE Fighter, and Sorceror would keep me busy trying out things for a long time I suspect but I thought I would run my skewed thoughts past the forums despite all the well meaning people who will try and convince to "Don't do that, it isn't ultimately optimized." I know it is skewed but that is half the fun for me.

lunaticfringe
2017-05-30, 11:40 AM
Shortening Dex to DE is briefly confusing. Low Int Rogues work, Expertise & Int Save covers the penalty at later levels.

Arkhios
2017-05-30, 11:46 AM
5th edition Cleric has no real use for Charisma, except for some skills maybe. I'm not sure why low Charisma would be a stumbling block. A mountain dwarf cleric with Life, Nature, Tempest, and War Domains wouldn't need anything else than Strength (17), Constitution (17), and Wisdom (15).

ZorroGames
2017-05-30, 11:55 AM
Shortening Dex to DE is briefly confusing. Low Int Rogues work, Expertise & Int Save covers the penalty at later levels.

Really? Sorry, I have seen the two letter usage often in this forum on the few threads I have read so I lazily dropped into the style of using the first two letters of an ability capitalized. It seemed better than typing the first three letters each time. I will keep that in mind.

Thanks I will add Rogue to my list of possibilities. I will remember to put Expertise and Int Save into my character building notes. :smallcool:

ZorroGames
2017-05-30, 11:57 AM
5th edition Cleric has no real use for Charisma, except for some skills maybe. I'm not sure why low Charisma would be a stumbling block. A mountain dwarf cleric with Life, Nature, Tempest, and War Domains wouldn't need anything else than Strength (17), Constitution (17), and Wisdom (15).

Awesome, though Cleric is different in 5th Edition than several editions ago I still have an interest in playing that class sooner than later.

Arkhios
2017-05-30, 12:05 PM
Awesome, though Cleric is different in 5th Edition than several editions ago I still have an interest in playing that class sooner than later.

Likewise, a Mountain Dwarf Paladin would also be quite simple(-ton) but very capable with only Strength 17, Constitution 17, and Charisma 15 to start with. It's a common trope (which I personally dislike) that Paladins are dumb, but from mechanical standpoint there's nothing wrong about it. Paladin's spells and other divine abilities rely solely on Charisma now. As with Clerics and Charisma, Paladins have no actual need for Wisdom. Especially after 6th level, when you add your charisma to all saves for you and your allies within 10 feet of you (and at 18th level, this range extends to 30 feet).

Specter
2017-05-30, 12:52 PM
I'll suggest something that struck me the second I read the stats.

Mountain Dwarf Rogue 2/Fighter X. 17/15/17/8/8/8. Expertise Stealth and Athletics. Go for the Shield Master feat at level 4. Take medium armor for improved stealthing.

So basically you have a dwarf agent who is good in combat (melee or even ranged) and out of combat (as a scout). In combat, trip foes like crazy and enjoy your sneak attack. Cunning Action is to make up for 25ft. speed.

ZorroGames
2017-05-30, 04:06 PM

Mountain Dwarf Rogue 2/Fighter X. 17/15/17/8/8/8. Expertise Stealth and Athletics. Go for the Shield Master feat at level 4. Take medium armor for improved stealthing.

So basically you have a dwarf agent who is good in combat (melee or even ranged) and out of combat (as a scout). In combat, trip foes like crazy and enjoy your sneak attack. Cunning Action is to make up for 25ft. speed.

Nice build, seriously need to consider it.

Had not started to consider multiclassing yet. No, you read that right. :smallbiggrin: No I did not hit my head. :smallwink: Just trying to keep it simple initially. :smallsmile:

Sigreid
2017-05-30, 06:30 PM
Friends don't let friends play dwarves. :smallbiggrin:

Corran
2017-05-30, 07:13 PM
Likewise, a Mountain Dwarf Paladin...
(edited, hehe :smallsmile:)

^
Arkhios speaks THE truth! This is the only way ZorroGames, join the club!
(Convince your DM that holy avengers come in hammers too though...:smallwink:)

Sigreid
2017-05-30, 07:34 PM
^
Arkhios speaks THE truth! This is the only way ZorroGames, join the club!
(Convince your DM that holy avengers come in hammers too though...:smallwink:)

I'd want a vorpal hammer. Knock their heads clean off.

ZorroGames
2017-05-30, 08:21 PM
Friends don't let friends play dwarves. :smallbiggrin:

Hmmphf! Dwarves don't play with non-dwarfs... or was that non-friends... or friends... damn low intelligence... or was it low charisma... Wisdom? Hell, fetch my axe so I can break something...

Sigreid
2017-05-30, 09:33 PM
Hmmphf! Dwarves don't play with non-dwarfs... or was that non-friends... or friends... damn low intelligence... or was it low charisma... Wisdom? Hell, fetch my axe so I can break something...

Dwarves, not even once!

Occasional Sage
2017-05-30, 10:23 PM

Do this. All of the this.

For extra credit, take the Eldritch Knight subclass, and avoid as many spells with saves as you can. Buff yourself, buff your friends, set up win conditions with your spells despite a low INT. Get all the aforementioned goodness too.

You can refluff Dwarven magic as "the blessings of the gods" and keep all the mechanics, if you are opposed to dwarves wizards.

JAL_1138
2017-05-31, 08:08 AM

Do this. All of the this.

For extra credit, take the Eldritch Knight subclass, and avoid as many spells with saves as you can. Buff yourself, buff your friends, set up win conditions with your spells despite a low INT. Get all the aforementioned goodness too.

You can refluff Dwarven magic as "the blessings of the gods" and keep all the mechanics, if you are opposed to dwarves wizards.

Ooh, that's really good. Expertise Athletics and Shield Master is a heck of a combo, and your Dex will be good enough let you make really good use of Shield Master's defensive abilities. And EK for the Shield spell and other buffs. Sneaky and tanky. Alas, your Perception will be kinda crud to start with, which is rough on a scout...but since you'd be going Fighter you've got some extra room in the build for things like Observant later on. Or early(ish) on, with those starting stats; you can let those ride just fine for several levels. I like it.

EDIT: Booming Blade would be fun on that, too. Shield Master shove, BB + Sneak Attack at Advantage, then step back and don't worry about the op attack since it's Disadvantaged and you have great AC plus the Shield spell.