PDA

View Full Version : House rule idea looking for feed back on.

Sir cryosin
2017-05-30, 02:44 PM
My group was talking about how fun it would be to bank Nat 20's to use later. Now as the DM I never geive out inspiration just because I forget about it. So if I let them bank 20's I don't have to worry about giving out inspiration. So here is what I'm thinking.

If you roll a 20 on a d20 you may set that roll aside to use for any d20 roll. You can not bank a rolled 20 if it was part of a roll with advantage or disadvantage or any ability that would manipulate a dice roll for example the Wizards divination roles or the Lucky Feet. When you Bank a 20 you must reroll and use the number that you rolled whether it's a hit or miss. You may choose to use that 20 anytime you would you would go to roll a D20 but you must be clear that you're using that 20 before rolling any dice.

Now I was thinking letting player bank up to half there Prof bonus. What do y'all think.

zylodrizzt
2017-05-30, 02:50 PM
Inspiration only gives advantage I think. So banking should do the same. Otherwise you gonna get paladins rogues and other high damage attack rolls trivializing the big bads by critting a rat.

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-30, 03:01 PM
I think that it would slow things down as it encourages rolling for mundane things. You would have players hitting on ANYTHING in a bar just to rack up 20's. I am not saying your players are going to game the system, but that temptation to hit on the town guard just to save the party later will be mighty.

If you keep forgetting to hand out inspiration, make someone else do it. Make a rule that each player can benefit from Inspiration once per session. And then have the players hand it out to each other for good RPing or backstory or whatever tickles your fancy. You only need to keep track of who has used it per session.

Might not work for all groups, but if you don't like it, here (http://theangrygm.com/take-the-suck-out-of-inspiration/) is an article by the Angry DM on how to better use inspiration that might be helpful to you.

Sir cryosin
2017-05-30, 03:06 PM
Inspiration only gives advantage I think. So banking should do the same. Otherwise you gonna get paladins rogues and other high damage attack rolls trivializing the big bads by critting a rat.

I see your point and I already saw that coming saving crit to use on a BBEG. But the rat thing is no problem my players arnt ***** and they know I don't put up with **** like that.

I'm also thing that it's not a crit

Contrast
2017-05-30, 03:13 PM
Being able to choose when you crit seems exceedingly powerful for paladins and rogues.

I was going to suggest handing out inspiration at the start of the session to everyone and using physical markers which get handed back and forth so you get in the habit. Having had a quick look at Angry DMs article I like the first idea proposed as it puts the impetus on the players.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-05-30, 03:35 PM
I'm also thing that it's not a crit
That's solves a lot of the issues, I think. Being able to crit on command is likely to be bonkers; being able to assure a hit, less so. I don't think I'd allow multiple banking, though-- both for symmetry with Inspiration, and because I think it's more dramatic to have one guaranteed success than being able to throw down two or three in a row.