PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Half-Ettin: WHO SAID THAT? Oh wait, I did. [PEACH]

bunnynoah
2017-05-30, 05:30 PM
GUYS! I had an idea! Maybe not a good or bad one, but an idea. Please tell me what you think.

https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/_/rsrc/1484532687337/images/taddol%20wizard%20color_Ryan%20Rhodes.jpg?height=6 00&width=450

Half-Ettin (also known as Geryonian) are the cross breeds of a Human and an Ettin. They possess a higher intelligence than Ettin, and a lot more strength than Human. Unlike Ettin, however, they're almost as fair as their human parent. Also unlike Ettin, each head's personality complements one another, rather than clashes with it. Because of this, they're much more open to discuss things with each other. Half-Ettin usually name each head something different so allies don't get confused.

Ability Score Modifier: +2 Strength, +1 Wisdom
Alignment: Usually Chaotic
Size: 7-8 feet; Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision
Ambidextrous: When a Half-Ettin engages in two-weapon fighting, they can add their ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.
Strong Build: A Half-Ettin is treated as being one size larger for determining its carrying, pushing and pulling capacities.
Two Heads: A Half-Ettin has the advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks and on saving throws against being blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, stunned, and knocked unconscious.
Languages: Common, Giant, Orc

JBPuffin
2017-05-30, 08:36 PM
GUYS! I had an idea! Maybe not a good or bad one, but an idea. Please tell me what you think.

https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/_/rsrc/1484532687337/images/taddol%20wizard%20color_Ryan%20Rhodes.jpg?height=6 00&width=450

Ability Score Modifier: +2 Strength, +1 Wisdom, -1 Intelligence
Alignment: Any Chaotic
Size: 7-8 feet; Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision
Ambidextrous: You are proficient in the two weapon fighting style.
Strong Build: You are treated as being one size larger for determining its carrying, pushing and pulling capacities.
Two Heads: You have proficiency with the perception skill. You also have advantage on saving throws against being sneak attacked or ambushed.
Languages: Common, Giant, Orc

The italicized are off - sneak attacks/ambushes don't require saving throws barring very strange circumstances, "profiency with two-weapon fighting style" is not the way it's phrased in 5e. You could give them advantage on saves against mind-effecting magic (illusions, charms, et cetera), essentially the Gnome's thing would work, and the two-weapon things can be as simple as "you add your ability modifier to attacks made with your off-hand," or however the PHB words Two-Weapon Fighting under Fighter/Ranger. When it comes to homebrew, copy-paste can be a godsend.

bunnynoah
2017-05-30, 08:44 PM
The italicized are off - sneak attacks/ambushes don't require saving throws barring very strange circumstances, "profiency with two-weapon fighting style" is not the way it's phrased in 5e. You could give them advantage on saves against mind-effecting magic (illusions, charms, et cetera), essentially the Gnome's thing would work, and the two-weapon things can be as simple as "you add your ability modifier to attacks made with your off-hand," or however the PHB words Two-Weapon Fighting under Fighter/Ranger. When it comes to homebrew, copy-paste can be a godsend.

I fixed the "Two Heads" by taking the exact text from the Ettin in the MM.

The new "Ambidextrous" one I'm unsure of.

*Edit-* Did what you said. Thanks for the input!

JBPuffin
2017-05-30, 08:50 PM
I fixed the "Two Heads" by taking the exact text from the Ettin in the MM.

The new "Ambidextrous" one I'm unsure of.

*Edit-* Did what you said. Thanks for the input!

No problem. For a Volo's-style monstrous race, this works quite well, especially since that Int penalty will practically never matter; for a PHB-esque race, though, you'll want to scratch it off. I think it's fine, though.

bunnynoah
2017-05-30, 08:56 PM
I ment it as a half-orc kind of race in the sense that they aren't always evil like their exotic parent. More like the "I will prove these racists wrong!" kind of race. Stat-wise, very Volo inspired. I'll make some fluff tonight.

zeek0
2017-05-30, 11:24 PM
This seems fine to me. However, I do loathe penalties to ability scores in a race. In 3.5, you *rarely* saw orc wizards or elf barbarians. I love that these sorts of options are available in 5e.

At first, I thought this was a joke race. A half-ettin might only have one head.

bunnynoah
2017-05-30, 11:59 PM
This is no joke. In fact, one of my PCs asked to be one (which is why I decided to create them)
They have two heads, yes, and they're a lot prettier than Ettin.

I actually thought an Eldritch Knight would be cool because one head would wield a sword while the other casts magic missile or something similar. But I don't see this race without the penalty, Ettin are just to dumb to let their kids be scholars! (Not saying they can't, 14 INT isn't a gamebreaker)