PDA

View Full Version : ... (crafting)

MaxMAnAtArms
2017-05-30, 06:21 PM

Edit: The orginal question was pretty much " QQ i suck at reading Artificer how to craft due to a post i ran into that confused me.Tell me how to to do it step by step please and thank you. "

Im aware this isnt a chatroom. the reason it was deleted is Im just going to go off what I have and what the book says. if the Dm states its fine and works I'll run with it. As most rules and Raw/RAI intels DM okays it its fine. So i either doing it right or its wrong. And if wrong DM okay is sufficent. I guess. Bad knowledge if it works just makes it wrong from raw/rai. -Shurg-

And yes I know it takes time but when you see your thread get knocked down towards a second page while others posting just as new as yours gets responds. its a bit dishearting.

Edit 3: Grod that is why i was pretty much just going to let this thread die due to that point of view "i didnt wait I should be punished" would come from someone.Figured might as well be myself.

As for what the issue was.

"""
When crafting items your caster level counts as 2 higher than your artificer level. This has nothing to do with the "CL X" entry in the item cost description(see below)
You can make UMD checks to emulate the spell requirements of required spells. DC = 20+spell level. You get 1 check / day for each required spell and 1 last extra attempt at the end of the crafting period.
You need to watch for the caster level requirements of items but you can boost it in many ways. Most Caster level boosts only work towards spells or certian schools. We need a flat-out CL raise
From the FAQ: "Unless stated specifically, items never have a minimum caster level as a prerequisite. (The “CL” entry is the default caster level of the item, not a requirement for creation.)
From the SRD: "Caster Level
The next item in a notational entry gives the caster level of the item, indicating its relative power. The caster level determines the item’s saving throw bonus, as well as range or other level-dependent aspects of the powers of the item (if variable). It also determines the level that must be contended with should the item come under the effect of a dispel magic spell or similar situation. This information is given in the form "CL x," where "CL" is an abbreviation for caster level and "x" is an ordinal number representing the caster level itself.
For potions, scrolls, and wands, the creator can set the caster level of an item at any number high enough to cast the stored spell and not higher than her own caster level. For other magic items, the caster level is determined by the creator. The minimum caster level is that which is needed to meet the prerequisites given."
Boosting CL for more umph in your wands, not for meeting item prerequisites(see above)
""""

Which from what i thought i had locked down in my head threw me off quite a bit.

ATHATH
2017-05-30, 09:29 PM
Help with what?

grarrrg
2017-05-30, 09:33 PM
Help with what?

Agreed. This post existed for all of an hour before getting (effectively) deleted.
Maybe give it some actual time before giving up.

Inevitability
2017-05-31, 02:04 AM
Do you have any idea how many threads here don't get any replies for the first hour, then have a dozen of them by the end of the day? Give it some time: the people here would definitely help if you just showed your question.

Mordaedil
2017-05-31, 02:45 AM
Yeah, a forum isn't a chatroom, it takes time to get your answers.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-05-31, 11:41 AM
Um. Well, now I kind of don't want to help you...

But I'm bored at work, so eh. You apparently were disgusted enough at not getting immediate help that you tried to prevent anyone from helping you later, so I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but...

Basic Magic Item Crafting:

First, you need a few things: the appropriate item creation feat, a high enough caster level and the appropriate spell (for an existing item, those will be listed at the bottom of the entry, near the item list). Sometimes there are other requirements as well-- races, alignment, whatever. Either you or a friend can provide the spell, but you have to have the rest.
Secondly, you need time, money, and experience. You have to pay half the item's market price (listed at the bottom of the entry) in gold, and 1/25 that in experience points. Crafting an item takes 1 day/thousand gold of the market price, minimum 1 day. A "day" of crafting is only 8 hours, and you're specifically barred from spending more.

Artificer Tricks

You can craft items without needing the appropriate spells, alignment, race, etc-- instead, you need to make a UMD check, with a DC of 20+the item's caster level. If you fail, you can try again, 1/day until you either succeed or reach the end of the crafting time. You have to make at least one check for every prereq you're bypassing this way. (If you run out of time, you fail).
You have a "crafting reserve" of experience points that can be spent on magic item creation. Every time you hit a new level, your reserve is set to the new total listed on the table-- you don't get to keep leftover points. But as long as it has stuff left, you can drain the experience points from your reserve before you spend your own.
At 5th level, you can destroy a magic item to add 1/25th its base price in experience points to his reserve.

Gildedragon
2017-05-31, 01:07 PM
Iirc OP wanted to know what the +2 to CL does (since he can just and must mimic the spell with a UMD check)

Been thinking about this for a bit and reading the class... And AFAIK one needs to have the minimum CL to have cast the spells needed for the item?
Also it is evidently useful for scrolls and wands

Grod_The_Giant
2017-05-31, 01:30 PM
Iirc OP wanted to know what the +2 to CL does (since he can just and must mimic the spell with a UMD check)

Been thinking about this for a bit and reading the class... And AFAIK one needs to have the minimum CL to have cast the spells needed for the item?
Also it is evidently useful for scrolls and wands
You have to have a CL high enough to cast the spell the item uses, at a minimum... for weapons and armor, your CL has to be at least three times the item's enhancement bonus... and I believe, for things like rods and wondrous items, you need to meet the CL listed in the item description.

So for, say, a Belt of Dwarvenkind:

Belt of Dwarvenkind

This belt gives the wearer a +4 competence bonus on Charisma checks and Charisma-based skill checks as they relate to dealing with dwarves, a +2 competence bonus on similar checks when dealing with gnomes and halflings, and a -2 competence penalty on similar checks when dealing with anyone else. The wearer can understand, speak, and read Dwarven. If the wearer is not a dwarf, he gains 60-foot darkvision, dwarven stonecunning, a +2 enhancement bonus to Constitution, and a +2 resistance bonus on saves against poison, spells, or spell-like effects.

Moderate divination; CL 12th; Craft Wondrous Item, tongues, creator must be a dwarf; Price 14,900 gp; Weight 1 lb.
You'd need to have a CL of 12, know the spell tongues, and be a dwarf. But as an Artificer, you'd only need to have a level of 10, thanks to that +2 CL boost, and you'd be able to make a pair of DC 32 UMD checks to replace the spell and pretend to be a dwarf.

Gildedragon
2017-05-31, 02:15 PM
You have to have a CL high enough to cast the spell the item uses, at a minimum... for weapons and armor, your CL has to be at least three times the item's enhancement bonus... and I believe, for things like rods and wondrous items, you need to meet the CL listed in the item description.

So for, say, a Belt of Dwarvenkind:

You'd need to have a CL of 12, know the spell tongues, and be a dwarf. But as an Artificer, you'd only need to have a level of 10, thanks to that +2 CL boost, and you'd be able to make a pair of DC 32 UMD checks to replace the spell and pretend to be a dwarf.

Pretty sure that one doesn't need to meet the CL in the description.

Psyren
2017-05-31, 02:24 PM
The CL in the description is the typical CL for the item if you find it as loot. The minimum CL needed is the minimum to cast the highest spell it lists as a requirement. For that belt, the minimum CL would be the one needed to cast tongues.

MaxMAnAtArms
2017-05-31, 08:00 PM
Hence why i had confusion about crafting when appearntly there is like 2 different ways and it depends on how you view it.