PDA

View Full Version : Reflections from a completed 5e campaign

MrFahrenheit
2017-05-30, 07:31 PM
So I just finished a two-year campaign that went from 1 to 20. First time I've ever accomplished it in nearly 15 years of DMing. Wanted to share some reflections here and see what people think.

1. Multiclassing was permitted, but in addition to RAW, players had to have more levels in one class than they did classes total (I.e., having to have 3 levels in X before taking 1 in Y, then 4 in either X or Y before taking a level of Z). Reassessing it, I won't be bringing this particular house rule into my next campaign: 5e is super-balanced IMO and if someone wants to be X1/Y1/Z1 at character level three (or X6/Y6/Z6/warlock 2), more power to them.
2. New hit dice rolled at level up were rolled with "advantage" (e.g., Druid rolls 2d8, taking higher) if they were in a character's primary class (where they have more levels than any other), and rolled regularly for secondary classes. Moving forward, I think I'll keep it. Adds to that intangible fun factor for my party. YMMV.
3. I didn't allow vhumans, but I did allow standard humans, with one caveat: they can swap out any or all (or none) of the individual +1 ability bumps for a skill proficiency. Dark elves became river elves, losing sunlight sensitivity and improved dark vision, but that's only because drown don't fit in my campaign setting. This feels right and will be kept moving forward.
4. All other racial modifications were more of a refluffing nature to fit my setting (high elves became forest elves, rock gnomes were renamed industrious gnomes and a few other changes), though none were mechanical.
5. Summons were chosen by the player. It just doesn't make sense IMO that the DM would choose what's summoned.
6. No UA allowed. All races/classes had to be from officially published material. One exception was the sorlock, but that was only because he got in the UA patron for his three level lock dip long before I realized how unbalanced UA is. Anyhow, going forward it will be published material only.

As a whole, I found 5e the best/most balanced setting of all I've DM'ed (3.5, 4e, GURPS and Earthdawn). A bit of that is my own maturing as DM in over a dozen years, but a lot is due to the sheer balance between classes and races, alongside bounded accuracy. I no longer feel like combat is as necessary as it was in those other editions and settings; though this last campaign was still 75% combat encounters, I'm excited to plan my next campaign to be about 20 (or even 15) percent combat. Of course there's no real way to quantify it, so those numbers are just reflective of a "gut feeling."

The classes are all well balanced, and I know I'm in the minority when I say this, and please don't make the thread about this next point alone, but I don't fee like the phb ranger is all that bad, just as I don't feel like a warlock 2 dip is OP for a sorc or bard.

I think 5e was trying to strike a difficult balance here. It's great at low levels, but the reality is they're so unnecessary that gold is pointless once PCs have the best mundane equipment their proficiency allows. A SnB str-based martial character need not acquire any more items after getting that full plate, which oftentimes is the only piece of gear missing from a starting setup. Magic items are great, but since 5e is so tied to bounded accuracy, and magic items so rare, that +2 sword becomes a treasure find not because a PC needs it to keep up, but because it's boring to have the same equipment for 10+ levels. Phb has cost/quality of living rules, but they have no impact beyond rp. Which brings me to my next reflection...

I feel like experience points are great for new players, or players new to a group. But for my next campaign, I'm moving on in a much more exp-free fashion: the good ol' "you level when I say you level" method. Replacing exp will be a much more liberal use of inspiration...

...but inspiration feels incomplete. Noting my above thoughts on gold and quality of life, I'm introducing a home brewed inspiration system for the coming campaign. The simplest way to calculate is a day-to-day view of a character's life. If you live in piss-poor conditions, you get a point of drudgery every morning. Drudgery = a negative inspiration point, which in turn = disadvantage on a d20 roll. Drudgery points don't have to be spent, though. Think about five drudgery points as having (-5) inspiration. If you do something to get inspiration, it becomes (-4). However, let's say something truly terrible happens (death of a party member, for instance). That (-4) becomes -5. Note no parentheses. Now, the next five times the player in question rolls a d20, it has to be at disadvantage. The player could've chosen to spend his drudgery points earlier, but once they became misery, they *had* to be spent.

This will make standard of living, and by extension gold, far more important. You're no longer spending early levels buying the best mundane gear and then not having much use for gold outside of costly spell components. Here, when gold impacts quality of life, it in turn impacts mechanical aspects of the game; not just rp. Hunting and food will be the same way. Sure, the Druid can cast goodberry, or the cleric create food and water. But consuming those, while they'll help you survive, will also add to your drudgery. (I like to imagine the create food part is like solitary confinement's nutro-loaf, a not-long-lasting version of the civil war's hardtack, slop from "Big Brother" or the like).

This was a weird mix. Early on, things are fairly straightforward. Later on, a helpful dose of minions aids the BBEGs in achieving this balance. The problem with combat, IMHO, is the mid-game: at-CR baddies are nothing going solo against the party, but depleting the latter of resources and/or throwing in minions makes things incredibly dangerous. This contrasts with the late game, where there's enough of a gulf in challenge between team good guy (who are now loaded up on resources) and the minions of team bad guy so that bounded accuracy alone represents a reasonable threat, but not a deadly one. I'd venture to say that BBEG + minions is appropriate for the late game, but the mid-game is better served by a pair or trio of BBEGs without the henchmen when you're having a decisive battle. Same holds true for slowly draining the party of resources before a solo boss battle: mid-level PCs have so few resources to spend when compared with their high-level selves.

The issue with high level play is that it either goes on forever as the party builds up xp, or goes by faster than you'd expect as DMs dole out quest completion xp in ludicrous quantities to make the game move along at anything close to a reasonably appreciable pace. Clearly a YMMV situation, but my group fell into the latter category, as leveling over two years had actually been pretty fast. The problem with it taking forever is the party starts wondering "just how many (balors/pit fiends/ancient red dragons/insert really high CR monster here) are hanging out nearby, and why didn't they just move forward when we were level 5?" The problem with moving it along quickly is the party realizes "wow. That was over a lot quicker than I expected." Again, YMMV, but I found that balance difficult. It was my first time DMing at such high levels, so I'll see what things look like a couple years from now once I find myself in the same situation again.

5e is almost cheese free. Almost. But where it does have cheese, holy Gouda is it exploitable. A couple examples:
1. High level Druid? Summon woodland beings at an incredibly high slot, then pull up the fife and drums to "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" through the YouTube app on your phone, and enjoy making those non-sleep-immune ancient dragons waste their legendary saves. Only four of those thirty-two arrows must needs penetrate the AC and have a low saving roll. What's that? Dragons have great con saves? Not when you have a bard in the party forcing -1d12 on each roll.
2. Banishment. Dear heavens, banishment. Cheesiest spell I've ever seen. BBEG come at you with minions? Banish the big bad, mop up his mooks, then gank Mr boss upon his return. Solo BBEG from another plane? Banish him and stop combat before it starts.
And yet...I wouldn't change the above. These sorts of capabilities add to the variety of the game, and certainly mix things up. Plus, concentration mechanics certainly help the party avoid becoming an all-out dairy farm.

And speaking of variety, there is certainly some with the capstones. I feel like those character guides are black or white on capstones, depending on the class, with zero gray. And that's fine, but I think they fail to look at the following question: how often do games in 5e truly keep going on well beyond level 20? 4 sorcery points at a short rest seems crappy compared to unlimited wildshape, but how many encounters are you going to have between 20 and game over? My guess is it would be a few at most.

So that's about it. If there's anything I've forgotten, I'll post it in the replies. I welcome feedback and questions/comments/advice on how to tackle some of the challenges I mentioned in the future.

ZorroGames
2017-05-30, 08:52 PM
"Anyhow, going forward it will be UA only."

That seemed to not match the rest of the paragraph.

"No UA allowed. All races/classes had to be from officially published material. One exception was the sorlock, but that was only because he got in the UA patron for his three level lock dip long before I realized how unbalanced UA is. Anyhow, going forward it will be UA only."

mephnick
2017-05-31, 12:33 AM
Good thoughts.

The PhB Ranger is totally fine if you play D&D the way it's meant to be played, with travel, navigation and exploration. Even BM is fine other than people not getting why the mechanics work the way they do. I actually prefer the PhB Ranger over the Revised one (though I like the initiative advantage).

I've also noticed that minions are best left out of most combats at mid levels and focus on 2-4 mid CR creatures instead. Bounded Accuracy is great but only goes so far. A level 8 party will buzzsaw most low level minions or can even ignore them, but adding CR 2 or 3 minions is too much.

Also agreed on leaving XP in the past where it belongs.

MrFahrenheit
2017-05-31, 03:34 AM
"Anyhow, going forward it will be UA only."

That seemed to not match the rest of the paragraph.

"No UA allowed. All races/classes had to be from officially published material. One exception was the sorlock, but that was only because he got in the UA patron for his three level lock dip long before I realized how unbalanced UA is. Anyhow, going forward it will be UA only."

D'oh! Thank you...edited.

MrFahrenheit
2017-05-31, 03:37 AM
Good thoughts.

The PhB Ranger is totally fine if you play D&D the way it's meant to be played, with travel, navigation and exploration. Even BM is fine other than people not getting why the mechanics work the way they do. I actually prefer the PhB Ranger over the Revised one (though I like the initiative advantage).

I've also noticed that minions are best left out of most combats at mid levels and focus on 2-4 mid CR creatures instead. Bounded Accuracy is great but only goes so far. A level 8 party will buzzsaw most low level minions or can even ignore them, but adding CR 2 or 3 minions is too much.

Also agreed on leaving XP in the past where it belongs.

I realized the mid-level trick after throwing in an encounter with what appeared originally to be an appropriate amount of mooks that nearly TPKed the party. Lucky no one ended up hurt worse than unconscious though.

Nemenia
2017-05-31, 03:43 AM
The UA isn't even slightly broken compared to the actual edition works.. nothing except the lore wizard approaches harmful to the game. I don't know what patron you let your warlock use but it certainly didnt do anything but put them on PAR with the rest of the party

The PHB ranger sucks beyond human comprehension. The hunter is passable, the beast master is a joke. the UA fixes the class so it's even usable, and certainly isn't broken.

Gastronomie
2017-05-31, 04:06 AM
The UA isn't even slightly broken compared to the actual edition works.. nothing except the lore wizard approaches harmful to the game. I don't know what patron you let your warlock use but it certainly didnt do anything but put them on PAR with the rest of the party

The PHB ranger sucks beyond human comprehension. The hunter is passable, the beast master is a joke. the UA fixes the class so it's even usable, and certainly isn't broken.Based on my own experience with Shadow Sorcerers and Undying Lights, I doubt that statement is true.

Question is, have you actually used the PHB Ranger/Beast Master? If you haven't, and are just judging the book by its cover, I don't think that really counts as an opinion. No, not that I think it's overpowered or anything (in fact I've never used it myself so I can't hold an opinion), but still. At least, a friend who used it said it wasn't that bad. (If you have played it and thought it sucks, then that's all right.)

Anyhow, @MrFahrenheit: Great job, and thanks. I've actually never gone through a campaign that far. The part about enemy encounters is quite helpful advice (I sorta noticed something similar among those lines while playing myself, but now I'm fully assured).

Nemenia
2017-05-31, 04:15 AM
Based on my own experience with Shadow Sorcerers and Undying Lights, I doubt that statement is true.

Question is, have you actually used the PHB Ranger/Beast Master? If you haven't, and are just judging the book by its cover, I don't think that really counts as an opinion. No, not that I think it's overpowered or anything (in fact I've never used it myself so I can't hold an opinion), but still. At least, a friend who used it said it wasn't that bad. (If you have played it and thought it sucks, then that's all right.)

Anyhow, @MrFahrenheit: Great job, and thanks. I've actually never gone through a campaign that far. The part about enemy encounters is quite helpful advice (I sorta noticed something similar among those lines while playing myself, but now I'm fully assured).

We have used it, for an entire campaign, and the beastmaster ranger felt incredibly useless and disappointed in the entire subclass. Also, What about shadow sorc or undying was unbalanced?

mephnick
2017-05-31, 04:36 AM
The PHB ranger sucks beyond human comprehension. The hunter is passable, the beast master is a joke. the UA fixes the class so it's even usable, and certainly isn't broken.

That's odd. Ours was easily the most valuable member of the party out of combat and easily kept up in DPS/zone control in combat.

Nemenia
2017-05-31, 04:43 AM
That's odd. Ours was easily the most valuable member of the party out of combat and easily kept up in DPS/zone control in combat.

I don't know what the rest of your party was. Ours sat back in combat attacking twice and doing an average of 15 damage per turn while the pet panther would hit about once before getting knocked out in a single hit and spending the rest of the fights getting stabilized or making death saving throws while the rest of the party did everything else.

Gastronomie
2017-05-31, 05:25 AM
We have used it, for an entire campaign, and the beastmaster ranger felt incredibly useless and disappointed in the entire subclass. Also, What about shadow sorc or undying was unbalanced?I don't know about Beast Master, but:

(BTW, keep in mind that I was using a Sorcadin build for Shadow Sorc)
-Darkness for 1 Sorcery Point was one of the strongest abilities of all the party members. Simply put, its cost was too low, and its power too high. Constant advantage on all attacks you roll and constant disadvantage on all attacks meant at you was... yeah. It stepped on the feet of the Barbarian, too. Perhaps make it 2 Sorcery Points for activation and it'll be all set.
-Undying Light dished out rediculous amounts of damage by being combined with Draconic Sorcerer (this was used by a player when I was DM'ing, and he wiped out all the minions I placed with ease).

No, they're not "so broken they make everyone else useless" (that's actually extremely difficult to achieve). But they certainly should be a bit nerfed if they are to make way to actual publishing.

mephnick
2017-05-31, 05:48 AM
I don't know what the rest of your party was. Ours sat back in combat attacking twice and doing an average of 15 damage per turn while the pet panther would hit about once before getting knocked out in a single hit and spending the rest of the fights getting stabilized or making death saving throws while the rest of the party did everything else.

Did he not have any combat feats to up his damage? I'm confused why he was doing so little. At the very least he should be Sharpshootering it up for double that amount. There's no reason a Beastmaster shouldn't be keeping up with most melee/archery classes in damage.

Edit: also you do need to take a pet with some riders on it's attacks and play smart with it I'll admit that.

MrFahrenheit
2017-05-31, 05:48 AM
Lol make one comment about phb vs UA ranger, watch more than 50% of replies want to focus only on that remark.

As for the combat encounter stuff, you'll often see here advice to just throw in mooks as you approach higher levels. That's perhaps best to follow at really high levels. Mid-campaign, you can have a duo or trio of BBEGs. Powerful, challenging, but without legendary actions/saves. The presence of those legendary aspects are the most important difference between mid-level bosses and late game bosses. Sure, there are some mid-game bosses with the legendary stuff, but I'd venture to say they were meant to be encountered completely solo (smack a beholder? Eye ray reaction. Now you're a pile of ash on your own turn).

One point I forgot to mention regarding encounters: TERRAIN. Terrain, terrain, terrain! One of the biggest mistakes I made when I first started DMing was to have the party always fight on what amounted to an empty white plain. There's so much you can do with terrain.

Red dragon lair? Lava! Lava everywhere. 18d10 fire damage for going prone into it (as I've learned here on these boards, lava is viscuous, so it's pretty hard to submerge in it).

But conventional environmental dangers aren't the only thing: In a cramped tunnel? The party is really going to have to consider battle order when the tunnel narrows down to a five foot wide space, forcing the party to proceed single file.

Maybe the party is in a town at night and the BBEG is an assassin stealthing between houses to take potshots at them. (And on that note, a player who left my game early on gave me a great "character goes insane" bad guy for this exact situation. Hunter/tempest cleric...let's just say nat 20 + lightning arrow + tempest CD = party sorlock was grateful to have a full cleric in the party who was in possession of a diamond).

Khrysaes
2017-05-31, 06:13 AM
I don't know about Beast Master, but:

(BTW, keep in mind that I was using a Sorcadin build for Shadow Sorc)
-Darkness for 1 Sorcery Point was one of the strongest abilities of all the party members. Simply put, its cost was too low, and its power too high. Constant advantage on all attacks you roll and constant disadvantage on all attacks meant at you was... yeah. It stepped on the feet of the Barbarian, too. Perhaps make it 2 Sorcery Points for activation and it'll be all set.
-Undying Light dished out rediculous amounts of damage by being combined with Draconic Sorcerer (this was used by a player when I was DM'ing, and he wiped out all the minions I placed with ease).

No, they're not "so broken they make everyone else useless" (that's actually extremely difficult to achieve). But they certainly should be a bit nerfed if they are to make way to actual publishing.

The darkness ability is an odd one. It is powerful, but unusable at level one, when you get it, since sorcerers don't even get sorcery points until level 2.

Making it 2 SP maybe good, it is a level 2 spell which normally costs 3 points being cast at 1/3rd that value. It is a class feature so it should be cheaper.

By RAW, undying light would stack with Fire draconic sorcerer 6. But what you should do, is not let them stack, make him choose a different element. Still strong because it is a huge array of spells they now get +CHA to. but not quite as strong as +10 to each ray of scorching ray. Also, the errata changes that to almost uselessness, on only one damage roll/spell.. The draconic sorcerer anyways.

BillyBobShorton
2017-05-31, 06:33 AM
Good read. But everytime I saw "Reflections" I kept reading it in the voice of Jack Handy.

solidork
2017-05-31, 09:30 AM
I really feel you on the Banishment issue. We're playing Princes of the Apocalypse and my War Cleric and our Abjuration Wizard both always prepare Banishment. It's making things kinda anti climactic, especially since the whole campaign is about extraplanar enemies. We did manage to accidentally deny ourselves some pretty amazing loot by being too banish happy, but we can easily work around that.

Also, I'm not sure if this is what you were talking about, but Cutting Words can't be used on saving throws. It's a very common misconception.

Beastrolami
2017-05-31, 11:34 AM
I REALLY like those homebrew drudgery rules. Forcing players to roleplay their living expenses, as well as traumatic experiences is something I thought 5e was missing.

Couple problems I have with that is that i feel it will be more punishing to poor low level characters, and high level characters will find a way to abuse it: 'Can I rent out this castle and get inspiration for living here?"

MrFahrenheit
2017-05-31, 11:54 AM
I really feel you on the Banishment issue. We're playing Princes of the Apocalypse and my War Cleric and our Abjuration Wizard both always prepare Banishment. It's making things kinda anti climactic, especially since the whole campaign is about extraplanar enemies. We did manage to accidentally deny ourselves some pretty amazing loot by being too banish happy, but we can easily work around that.

Also, I'm not sure if this is what you were talking about, but Cutting Words can't be used on saving throws. It's a very common misconception.

Banishment is a double edged sword for that reason. I haven't read/ PotA, so forgive me if there's a MacGuffin or some other rp reason to acquire gold, but IMO, you could go 1-20 with starting gear and be fine.

Re: cutting words...damn. Thanks for pointing that out; I'll be sure to implement it properly in the next campaign. Definitely one of those "hey! It doesn't work like that..." moments I had just now. I think all us DMs take for granted a veteran player knowing their character, but that's a good reminder to do my homework more often. Just ask my sorlock who abused the crap out of twinning crown of madness against all comers...till I re-read the spell entry and noticed that little humanoid requirement he overlooked.

MrFahrenheit
2017-05-31, 11:57 AM
I REALLY like those homebrew drudgery rules. Forcing players to roleplay their living expenses, as well as traumatic experiences is something I thought 5e was missing.

Couple problems I have with that is that i feel it will be more punishing to poor low level characters, and high level characters will find a way to abuse it: 'Can I rent out this castle and get inspiration for living here?"

Thanks! I actually don't mind punishing lower level players in this way; sure makes that first tier of quests more interesting, while giving an extra dimension to factor in. Of course, a castle is a sweet target. A rampaging orcish horde taking an interest in the castle while the party is questing sure would put the party back at square one. "Yes they were CR 1s. So were your guards."