PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Must all Aasimar be human

Dankus Memakus
2017-05-30, 08:33 PM
Now this is just something i came across but in Volos guide it says the exact words "most aasimar are born from human parents" Now this to me says that other races can have Aasimar children. In lore id say it makes sense since most races can reproduce with one another and from a stats standpoint id say it makes sense if you just use the same stats saying all aasimars celestial blood give them the same abilities....anybody else have thoughts on this

DragonSorcererX
2017-05-30, 08:47 PM
3.5 had the Celadrin (Elf + Eladrin, the CG Celestial ones) and I'm sure there were some holy dwarves somewhere...

lunaticfringe
2017-05-30, 08:48 PM
Yup at least old school aasimar. Anything from the upper plains + Mortal Race = Aasimar. You could make some really strange/scary looking ones before the got homogenized into angel babies.

Yeah I'd keep the stats. Maybe trade out a feature for Bite or Claws if you wanna go bestial.

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-30, 08:49 PM
I think from a lore perspective, there is nothing wrong with this in most settings. Other races can bang celestials if one wants to be a throw-back to older editions, and one would assume that most races can have the spark of Mount Celestia or whatever.

From a gaming perspective, and this will seem really hypocritical, it can be weird. Not only are you an aasimar, but an elf on top of that. In the hands of a good RPer, the aasimar side will influence the dwarven heritage in subtle, but noticeable ways, with a strong reason to stick around a non-dwarf party. In the hands of a bad RPer, you got Special Snowflake and probably at least three different sources of power and probably royalty in there to boot, maybe a curse or two.

Pathfinder did something similar with the tiefling/aasimar, which seemed to work just fine, but had the addition of being able to chose small size for halflings/gnomes.

I will note, I like this approach a lot less for tieflings, as I sorta like the lore of Asmodeus turning all tieflings into duplicates of himself to further his own plans and stroke his ego. Since he wasn't a very strong part of the setting, it really made him seem powerful to screw with people like that, as well as character defining. So in that case, I'd say all tieflings are the same, even ones born of halfling stock. They just all got bigger one day. I know it was an unpopular choice, however.

lunaticfringe
2017-05-30, 08:49 PM
3.5 had the Celadrin (Elf + Eladrin, the CG Celestial ones) and I'm sure there were some holy dwarves somewhere...

Celestial Dwarf Badgerfolk thingies can't recall the name though.

DragonSorcererX
2017-05-30, 08:53 PM
Celestial Dwarf Badgerfolk thingies can't recall the name though.

No, I found the ones that I was talking about, the Midgard Dwarves from Frostburn, but they had 8 Racial HD and LA +4...

lunaticfringe
2017-05-30, 09:40 PM
No, I found the ones that I was talking about, the Midgard Dwarves from Frostburn, but they had 8 Racial HD and LA +4...

Ah I forgot about those I was thinking of Wildren. Dwarf + Celestial Badger. What happens in the Upper Planes....

DragonSorcererX
2017-05-30, 09:48 PM
Ah I forgot about those I was thinking of Wildren. Dwarf + Celestial Badger. What happens in the Upper Planes....

It was 3.5, you could play anything with a reasonable power level (depending on the ECL) and it was awesome! (I wish I didn't had such bad ability scores, especially INT, and was able to learn it)

lunaticfringe
2017-05-30, 09:59 PM
Meh. You can convert stuff pretty easily or just reskin existing stuff using the power of imagination. 3.5 doesn't work nearly as well as you think. Tons of bloat, tax, and flavorful crunch that Actually does **** all. Was not a big fan.

DragonSorcererX
2017-05-30, 10:02 PM
Meh. You can convert stuff pretty easily or just reskin existing stuff using the power of imagination. 3.5 doesn't work nearly as well as you think. Tons of bloat, tax, and flavorful crunch that Actually does **** all. Was not a big fan.

Yeah but it is not the same thing, there is no ToB, no Duskblade channelling spells to their sword and slashing with it...

Sigreid
2017-05-30, 10:57 PM
Were I your DM, you could be an Assimar with the appearance of any of the PHB races but your game stats would be one of the three Asimar subraces. My operating theory would basically be that it's the celestial genes that are dominant.

Khrysaes
2017-05-30, 11:17 PM
Yeah but it is not the same thing, there is no ToB, no Duskblade channelling spells to their sword and slashing with it...

Paladin smite is almost like the duskblade.... Not quite I am aware, but has a similar feel. You could probably make a Paladin Oath that grants elemental smites instead of radiant, and/or other spell effects when using a smite.

Coventry
2017-05-30, 11:25 PM
There is a precedent:

Pathfinder specifically allows non-human Aasimar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-aasimar/) -

Non-human aasimars have the same statistics as human aasimars with the exception of size. Thus a halfling aasimar is Small but otherwise possesses the same statistics and abilities as a human aasimar—the difference is purely cosmetic.

So you can have a character that looks like a kobold, but by virtue (ow! pun!) of being treated as an Aasimar, has 30' movement, and up to a 20 strength at first level with proper stat allocation.

Findulidas
2017-05-31, 03:48 AM
I feel like this is one of he strange race ideas in dnd. No race can breed with each other except humans and dragons who have just have a dozen or so half variants.

The humans variant I can understand since at some level some people just like the idea of being half human half something else. There is also the sexual implications I guess. The dragons part I just dont get. Although there is much less of that in 5e so far to be fair.

I remember one campaign we had where there was this elf npc and a dwarf npc and they talked about how sad they were that no elf and dwarf could have children for some reason. Thats where it struck me that this idea really is canon.

Khrysaes
2017-05-31, 07:05 AM
I feel like this is one of he strange race ideas in dnd. No race can breed with each other except humans and dragons who have just have a dozen or so half variants.

The humans variant I can understand since at some level some people just like the idea of being half human half something else. There is also the sexual implications I guess. The dragons part I just dont get. Although there is much less of that in 5e so far to be fair.

I remember one campaign we had where there was this elf npc and a dwarf npc and they talked about how sad they were that no elf and dwarf could have children for some reason. Thats where it struck me that this idea really is canon.

Humans + elf: Half Elf

Humans + Orc: Half Orc

Humans + Dwarf: Derro

Humans + Celestial: Half Celestial

Half Celestial + Human: Aasimar

Human + Fiend: Half Fiend

Half Fiend + Human: Tiefling

Elf + Fiend: Half Fiend elf

Half Fiend Elf + Elf: Fey'ri

At first I misread your post thinking you said ONLY Humans and Dragons can crossbreed. But you meant Humans and Dragons can cross breed with everything.

In 3.5 there were templates for a lot of the more exotic halves. But yeah, I wish these templates existed for the more common halves like elf. That could be applied to more than Human. Or, you have halves for all the non crossbreed races in the PHB, and when you want a cross breed, pick 2 halves.

Like what if a Moon Elf and a Drow have a kid? I mean hell, it happens in the Forgotten Realms stories in fourth edition. The guy that ended up with Cutter the sentient sword, was there in the war of Orcs vs Dwarves at mithral Hall, aiding Obould.

EvilAnagram
2017-05-31, 07:47 AM
I think humans are basically D&D's asari. They'll screw anything, and enough species look at humans and think, "Hey, that thing looks vaguely like one of us."

Humans + elf: Half Elf

Humans + Orc: Half Orc

Humans + Dwarf: Derro

Humans + Celestial: Half Celestial

Half Celestial + Human: Aasimar

Human + Fiend: Half Fiend

Half Fiend + Human: Tiefling

Elf + Fiend: Half Fiend elf

Half Fiend Elf + Elf: Fey'ri

Everything below Derro is no longer accurate in 5e.

JackPhoenix
2017-05-31, 08:43 AM
Everything below Derro is no longer accurate in 5e.

Except the Derro are not human/dwarf halfbreeds, Half-celestials and fey'ri aren't mentioned, so they may still be accurate, Half-fiends are now renamed back to Cambions, but they remain functionally the same (and the same works for half-fiend elves), and aasimar and tieflings don't mention half-celestial/fiend directly, but they are still humans with celestial/fiendish "heritage", take that as you will.

Also, Draegloth, drow + glabrezu
Half-ogres, ogre + human, orc, hobgoblin or bugbear