PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Paladin subclass, Black Knight [PEACH]

AngryJesusMan
2017-05-30, 09:30 PM
Hello all. I thought I would take a stab at the traditional idea of a Black Knight. Hopefully some of you enjoy this and I haven't stumbled too hard over the creation of this subclass. Let me know what you think Thanks!

Black Knight

The path to becoming a Black Knight is the result of a Paladin that, while chosen by the gods to be a champion of virtue and righteousness, either chose no to or simply failed to abide by the tenets of other Oaths. As such, this is an Oath for fallen Paladins to follow that does not force them to turn completely from the belief that common folk need to be protected. Some Black Knights take to this Oath completely, forsaking their former Oaths and committing to this one. Other times, a Paladin may take this Oath in order to maintain their duties while attempting to redeem themselves in the eyes of their previous Oath. Either way, these Paladins do important work at the behest of no one except their own righteousness.

Tenets

I shall persevere. I have fallen from the eyes of the gods, but I will remain a stalwart hero to the downtrodden.

Break bonds. There is no greater being that drives or condemns my actions, so I will do what I can to prevent or end the binding or subjugation of others.

Be a guiding light. My bravery should serve to inspire those that would otherwise serve darkness in their weakness.

Seek those like me. I am not the first nor will I be the last to fall from favor. I seek others to keep them from being led onto an unjust path.

Black Knight Spells

3rd heroism, protection from evil and good
5th enhance ability, lesser restoration
9th dispel magic, remove curse
13th aura of purity, freedom of movement
17th greater restoration, hallow

Channel Divinity

Drive Out the Tyrant. You can use your Channel Divinity to repel those creatures that are most likely to forcibly impose their will upon others. As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer of denial, using your Channel Divinity. Choose one fiend, celestial, fey, or undead creature within 60 feet of you that you can see. That creature must make a Wisdom saving throw. Creatures that are immune to being frightened automatically succeed. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is frightened for 1 minute. The creature must take the Dash action and move away from you by the safest available route on each of its turns, unless there is nowhere to move. If the creature ends its turn in a location where it doesn't have line of sight to you, the creature can make a Wisdom saving throw. On a successful save, the effect ends for that creature.

Broken Shackles. You can use your Channel Divinity to free those that are ensnared in the clutches of another. As an action you utter a vow of freedom and use your Channel Divinity. You choose any number of creatures within 30 feet of you. The creatures you choose can end one condition affecting them. Those conditions can be charmed, frightened, paralyzed, restrained, grappled, or possessed. This can also end the effects of a suggestion spell.

Ambiance of Defiance. Starting at 7th level, while you are conscious, you and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you have advantage on saving throws against effects that would inflict the charmed, frightened, paralyzed, restrained, or possessed conditions, as well as to suggestion spells. At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Liberator’s Intuition. Beginning at 15th level, you know if a creature that is within 60 feet of you and that you can see is currently charmed or under the effects of a suggestion spell. If the creature that affected it with one of those conditions is within 60 feet of you and you can see it, you know about the connection between them. Additionally, you have advantage on attack rolls against creatures that have at least one creature charmed or under the effects of a suggestion spell.

Indignant Redeemer. At 20th level, as an action, for 1 minute, you are immune to the conditions charmed, frightened, paralyzed, restrained, possessed, as well as to suggestion spells. If you fail a save that would inflict one of these effects, you can use this as a reaction. As a bonus action, you can pass this benefit to any creature within 30 feet of you that you can see for 1 round. If you do, you lose the benefits until the beginning of your next turn.

Lalliman
2017-06-01, 07:51 AM
I'm not too knowledgeable on paladins, but it looks fine. Its abilities are very focused and situational, so this class is kind of a waste if your DM doesn't make extensive use of mind-affecting effects. In fact, it's so good at warding off these effects, that some DMs might stop using them simply because they stand so little chance of working, thus making it a self-fulfilling prophesy. But Drive Out The Tyrant is still generally useful, as are some of the spells, so it'll never be a totally wasted pick.

For Broken Shackles, you might want to change the wording of "each friendly creature" to "any amount of creatures of your choosing" or something like that. A creature who's been charmed into attacking you wouldn't identify as friendly, but that's exactly who you'd want to use it on.

Liberator's Intuition says "you have advantage against creatures that have at least one creature charmed or under the effects of a suggestion spell." Advantage at what? Attack rolls, I assume, but also skill checks, saving throws? It probably doesn't make sense to have advantage on Stealth checks or Persuasion checks against them.

AngryJesusMan
2017-06-01, 11:25 AM
For Broken Shackles, you might want to change the wording of "each friendly creature" to "any amount of creatures of your choosing" or something like that. A creature who's been charmed into attacking you wouldn't identify as friendly, but that's exactly who you'd want to use it on.

Good catch. Thanks.

Liberator's Intuition says "you have advantage against creatures that have at least one creature charmed or under the effects of a suggestion spell." Advantage at what? Attack rolls, I assume, but also skill checks, saving throws? It probably doesn't make sense to have advantage on Stealth checks or Persuasion checks against them.

It's meant to be attack rolls. Thanks for catching those for me. And thanks for the feedback. I'll make those adjustments now. :smallcool: