PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Dnd

Pollip
2007-08-03, 01:02 AM
Pardon if it's already been discussed, but has anyone ever played a campaign with races and locations from the Legend of Zelda? It sounds fun, and pretty easy, with gorons being slightly tweaked dwarves, etc.

I want to hear what everyone thinks about it.
(p.s. Does anyone have any idea what the stats for the Master Sword would be?)

Starsinger
2007-08-03, 01:08 AM
+1 Holy Longsword? :smalltongue:

the_tick_rules
2007-08-03, 01:11 AM
i'm sure there is zelda rpg somewhere.

Dairun Cates
2007-08-03, 01:36 AM
i'm sure there is zelda rpg somewhere.

There is. Someone should have the link shortly. As for the Master Sword. It's so totally a sword of Jumping. How else does link do half the things he does. Besides, I think a sword of jumping sounds cool.

Tor the Fallen
2007-08-03, 01:46 AM
I think the 999 max rupees and inability to gain experience would cause serious problems with the CR and WBL system.

TheOOB
2007-08-03, 01:53 AM
Zelda needs very little modification from standard D&D to work. Magic in Hyrule(spelling) is never well explained, though there is nothing to suggest that the standard cleric, druid, wizard, and sorcerer don't exist, but rather they are just uncommon.

The master sword is an artifact, combat wise it's just a holy longsword (possibly keen) with an enhancement bonus balanced for your campaign level. If you make other holy weapons rare it makes the master sword more special as it will be one of the few weapons to be able to bypass good DR without the assistance of an align weapon spell. Apart from that the master sword usually has the ability to break some special sort of magic barrier.

The real question is how does one stat out Hylians? They are defiantly not humans, but stat wise they arn't that different. Perhaps like half-elves with less suck?

The Duskblade
2007-08-03, 02:03 AM
There was actually a Gesalt Zelda thing on the player recruitment forum. Unfortantly the DM vanished before the game actually started. Personally I would like a shot at a Zelda PBP. Would take a bit of home brewing to pull off but it would be pretty damn interesting.

Dairun Cates
2007-08-03, 02:42 AM
It's not the best system, but since no one will link it.

http://www.kobolds-keep.net/downloads.html

pantoffelheld
2007-08-03, 10:35 AM
http://ouroborosi.bravehost.com/Zeldad20main.htm

this is what you're looking for. It's awesome.:smallbiggrin: I'd like to play it someday....

kpenguin
2007-08-03, 10:42 AM
http://ouroborosi.bravehost.com/Zeldad20main.htm

this is what you're looking for. It's awesome.:smallbiggrin: I'd like to play it someday....

Um... I'm just getting a bunch of unfinished pages.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-08-03, 10:46 AM
The Master Sword would have to have some kind of ability to shoot out energy projectiles if you're unwounded.

Speaking of which, how do hit points translate into half hearts :smallbiggrin: ?

Starsinger
2007-08-03, 10:51 AM
Um... I'm just getting a bunch of unfinished pages.

Me too.. opinion?

Coming Soon

pantoffelheld
2007-08-03, 11:08 AM
seems like the link I gave isn't really working :smallfrown: But I DID download a Zelda campaign setting from it, once. maybe it's the same as Dairun Cates posted? I can't download it right now to check it, but it was a complete book, with races and feats and everything.

Pollip
2007-08-03, 12:27 PM
The real question is how does one stat out Hylians? They are defiantly not humans, but stat wise they arn't that different. Perhaps like half-elves with less suck?

I know everyone hates to admit it, but there's no reason why Hylians shouldn't just be Humans with pointy ears. But then, in some games, only a handful of the population is able to use magic, items or otherwise. That seems like a bit of a departure from standard dnd...

Dairun Cates
2007-08-03, 01:54 PM
seems like the link I gave isn't really working :smallfrown: But I DID download a Zelda campaign setting from it, once. maybe it's the same as Dairun Cates posted? I can't download it right now to check it, but it was a complete book, with races and feats and everything.

Was it maybe the sourcebook that is no longer available on the main website but is available here?: http://www.kobolds-keep.net/downloads.html

Drascin
2007-08-03, 02:12 PM
Ah, yes, I have seen that before. I think it's fairly unbalanced and a lot of the races are a bit iffy, but it's a great starting point, and many kudos should go to the authors.

And the master Sword is an artifact weapon. It's about a +3 Holy Keen Longsword (or bastard sword - it looks fairly long for Link's build) with some other special properties - you know, the whole "deflecting" evil, not only hurting it. Maybe a Protection from Evil spell on the wielder? :smalltongue:

pantoffelheld
2007-08-03, 03:15 PM
Was it maybe the sourcebook that is no longer available on the main website but is available here?: http://www.kobolds-keep.net/downloads.html

yes yes, that's the one. Remind me that when I post, somebody before me has already posted something better.

The Duskblade
2007-08-04, 12:16 AM
Looks quite interesting. Maybe not 100% balanced (Though when talking about D&D the term Balanced is best left unmentioned:smallsmile: ) I would be interested in playing a game with those rules if there was an interested DM.

Dairun Cates
2007-08-04, 12:24 AM
yes yes, that's the one. Remind me that when I post, somebody before me has already posted something better.

Well, I wasn't trying to be mean about it. It was just conceivable that you and the poster hadn't seen it since no one commented.

And Duskblade, not 100% balanced systems are the best kind. Then you get to make house rules and get your hands dirty with homebrewing. WHOO!

starwoof
2007-08-04, 12:58 AM
Ive been trying to make my own rules for LoZ DnD for years. It really pains me to see this sort of thing done wrong so I do a lot of research for it.

My musings:

And the master Sword is an artifact weapon. It's about a +3 Holy Keen Longsword (or bastard sword - it looks fairly long for Link's build) with some other special properties - you know, the whole "deflecting" evil, not only hurting it. Maybe a Protection from Evil spell on the wielder?
At least that. Wind Waker required the sword to be charged to it's full power, perhaps making it a Legacy Weapon is fitting. Perhaps starting out as a +1 bastard sword and then leveling up to holy, higher bonuses, and protection from evil like you said. Also throwing beams of light! Pchew!

The races are what I've been putting a lot of thought to, actually. Gorons are a constant thorn in my side because their abilities keep changing! Are they a giant? Probably. Twilight Princess makes them out to be more elemental (theres a goron who lives inside a solid rock at the bottom of zora's domain). Gorons are probably large sized, but with each age category they may lose a size category. Old gorons are tiny! Fire resistance is a must, they live in volcanos and hot springs, such as Death Mountain and Snowpoint. I would probably give them fire resist 5, as well as natural armor and some feats to increase it. Rolling is an issue and a factor of their LA (which is probably pretty high). My idea would be to give them natural armor and maybe something like a slam attack when rolling, as well as a speed bonus. Perhaps while rolling the goron would have movement similar to flying, with wide turns and a minimum speed. Gorons also ought to have a few racial HD, but Im not sure how many.

Zoras are easy. Natural weapons in the form of fins, swim speed, breathing underwater. Dex bonus.

Hylians are humans actually, they just have divine blood and are set above the rest of the humans (those without pointy ears, so people from Termina, Labrynna, Holodrum, Gerudo, etc). Your typical human statline should work for them, but make listen a class skill for all Hylians. They say that Hylians have pointy ears to hear the voices of the gods, afterall. :smallsmile:

Most people would probably stat Kokiri for a race, but since they grow sick and die when they leave the forest they really aren't the best candidates. Deku on the other hand make great player characters. Majora's Mask is a huge inspiration to me on them, so I say a gliding ability similar to a raptoran, with eventual flight. I would think that they grow their shootin' nuts themselves, so perhaps they have a number of projectiles based on a factor of HD and consitution per day, as well as they ability to make use of external ammunition. Thats a good opportunity for a prestige class, the 'Deku Marksman' or something.

I would venture to say that Ganondorf is an evil outsider these days. Around the time of Twilight Princess he probably has a divine rank even.:smalltongue: