PDA

View Full Version : Item Advancement System [Item(s) I guess? Only weirder]

Goober4473
2007-08-03, 01:10 AM
So I'm currently running a D&D campaign in a world with a level 6 cap. No character can gain more than 6 levels, but they can continue to gain XP which they can spend on feats, skills, ability score boosts and effective class levels in a class they don't already have 6 levels in. The levels stack onto eachother instead of progressing, much like gestalt characters, gaining the best of each class.

Although there are a thousand ways to gain more power with this system, including massive numbers of magic items craftable by 6th level characters, I wanted to add something else. Well, a few something elses, but for now I just want to talk about the main one. I was originally going to give the players items that would gain levels and become more powerful, but I decided that it was too cliche, and really no differant from just advancing normally. Then I came up with this idea. I would give the players items, which would contain one of 11 triggers: Accelerate, charge, constant, combo, cooldown, drain, invest, limit, points, random, and spin.

Each of these triggers has a differant way of accessing powers:
Accelerate: These items build charge when they score a successful hit against a threatening enemy. These charges are used to activate abilities, and disappear at a rate of one per minute.
Per heart: 2 maximum charges.

Charge: These items build charges at a rate of one per hour, and gain bonuses based on the number of charges remaining. Charges are spent on abilities.
Per heart: 1 maximum charge.

Combo: These items have free use of minor powers, and must successfully use these powers, in order, before using more powerful abilities. No other action may be taken between using these abilities unless stated otherwise.

Cooldown: These items may use any ability, but once any ability is used, the item may not be used until the given cooldown time for the ability has ended.

Constant: These items have free use of all abilities. They are either always active (unless suppressed), or require an action to activate.

Drain: These items gain powers and abilities when the user takes penalties on other things. Powers and abilities that apply passive penalties work only for the user who took the penalties. The user (or a new user) may change the passive penalties once every 24 hours by spending a minute meditating. The character loses all passive penalties after 24 hours.

Invest: These items have a pool of points which may be invested in abilities. The user may take a swift action to reallocate these points.
Per heart: 2 points to invest. Max 1 per heart.

Limit: These items may use each ability a limited number of times per day. At dawn each day, the uses are reset.

Points: These items have a pool of points, which are spent to use abilities. At dusk each day, the points are fully restored.
Per heart: 5 points.

Random: These items activate a random power when used.

Spin: These items gain spin when the user takes a voluntary penalty. Spin may be used to activate abilities.
Per heart: 2 maximum spin.

Some of the power concepts you may recognize. Invest is based on Incarnum, spin is based on the 3.0 Fate Spinner, and accelerate I based on World of WarCraft rage.

Once I had the power triggers, I needed powers. I made these in the form of "hearts," which contain powers. The powers are listed, followed by how each trigger accesses these powers. Items could contain up to 12 hearts. One rank 0, two rank 1, three of each rank 2 and 3, two rank 4, and one rank 5 (higher level slots can be used by lower rank hearts). Hearts can be placed into an item, and removed any time, but can be placed only into the item they were taken out of until 24 hours pass. Placing the heart back into the item and taking it out again resets the time, of course.

In general, rank 0 to 2 can only use powers of up to 3rd level spell equivalent, with rank 2 using them more freely, and rank 0 being very limited. Rank 3 can use up to 4th level, rank 4 can use 5th level, and rank 5 can use 6th level. Of course, this is just a guideline I created for myself, and the ranks don't have any real meaning besides a vague area of power, and to determine how many can go in an item.

I realized that the base items would be boring with no hearts to begin with, but I decided that making 20 hearts (there were 20 items to begin with) at the start would be difficult, so I decided that rank 0 hearts would be usable by only one trigger, and could not be moved to a new item. I then set out creating hearts, and I currently have 24 rank 0, 13 rank 1, and 4 rank 2.

I'll post some examples of hearts to better explain. Feel free to use this system, make your own hearts, or whatever, but give me credit. Any input would be welcome. If people are interested, I'll post the rest of the hearts I have, and continue to post them as I make more. I plan to have about 150 hearts from rank 1 to 5 in total.

Samples:

Rapid Strike (rank 0):
Rapid Strike (Su): The user may make an extra attack at his or her highest base attack bonus when making a full attack action. All attacks are made at a -2 penalty in this round.

Combo: First: Successful strike against a threatening enemy with item on user's turn. Second: User may use rapid strike with item attacks for one round. Progress only if at least one attack per weapon successfully deals damage to a threatening enemy. Third: User may use rapid strike with no penalty on attacks. Progress only if at least one attack per weapon successfully deals damage to a threatening enemy.

Sand (rank 0):
Sandblast (Sp): User may cast sandblast (Complete Divine page 178) at a caster level equal to one per heart. Save DC is 14.

Vigilant (rank 0):
Vigilance (Su): This ability grants the user a +3 competence bonus to Listen, Sense Motive, and Spot checks.

Constant: The item has the vigilance ability at all times.

Shadow Hand (rank 1):
Child of shadow (Su): User gains concealment as long as s/he has moved at least 10 feet in a round. This does not allow the user to use the Hide skill as if s/he had concealment.
Clinging shadow strike (Su): User makes a melee attack that deals an additional 1d6 damage. If successful, the target makes a Will save (DC 14) or suffers a 20% miss chance on all attacks for one round.
Cloak of deception (Su): User becomes invisible as greater invisibility until the end of his/her turn.
Drain vitality (Su): User makes a melee attack. If successful, the target makes a Fortitude save (DC 15) or takes 2 points of Constitution damage.
Island of blades (Su): If the user and an ally are both adjacent to an enemy, that enemy is considered flanked.
Shadow blade technique (Su): User makes a melee attack, but rolls two attacks and chooses which result to use. If the higher result is chosen, the attack deals damage normally. If the lower is chosen, or they tie, the attack deals an additional 1d6 damage.
Shadow jaunt (Sp): As a standard action, the user may teleport up to 50 feet away. The user must have line of sight, and the space must be unoccupied. Caster level one per heart.

Accelerate: 2 charges: Clinging shadow strike.
Charge: With at least 2 charges, user may use island of blades.
Constant: User may use child of shadow.
Combo: First: Successful strike against a threatening enemy with item on user's turn. Second: Shadow blade technique as a full-round action. Progress only if the attack successfully strikes a threatening enemy. Third: If the lower roll was chosen, cloak of deception. If the higher roll was chosen, shadow jaunt.
Cooldown: One minutes: Cloak of deception.
Drain: Active: User may take 2 points of intelligence damage in order to use drain vitality.
Invest: With at least 2 points, user may use child of shadow. With at least 4, user may use island of blades.
Limit: User may use clinging shadow strike twice per day, and shadow blade technique once per day.
Random: Standard action, 1d10 roll: 1-4: shadow jaunt. 5-9: Heart may not be used for one hour. 10: Cloak of deception.
Spin: 3 spin: Cloak of deception.

Wind (rank 2):
Air defense (Su): User gains a bonus to Armor Class against attacks made by airborne enemies.
Feather fall (Sp): As the feather fall spell. Caster level one per heart.
Gust of wind (Sp): As the gust of wind spell. DC 15. Caster level one per heart.
Wind wall (Sp): As the wind wall spell. DC 16. Caster level one per heart.
Windscythe (Sp): Ranged attack deals 5d6 slashing damage. Range 100 feet. Overcomes damage reduction as a magic weapon, and ignores spell resistance. Caster level one per heart.

Accelerate: 2 charges: Windscythe.
Charge: User gains air defense at +1 per three charges. 1 charge: Wind wall.
Constant: User may use feather fall at will.
Combo: First: Successful strike against a threatening airborne enemy on user’s turn. Second: Gust of wind. Progress only if struck enemy fails its save. Third: Windscythe.
Cooldown: Five rounds: Gust of wind. Reduce cooldown by 1 round: As a swift action, user takes 2d6 points of slashing damage. This may be done only once before the item cools down.
Drain: Passive: User may take a -4 penalty to attack rolls to confirm critical hits in order to gain air defense at +4. Active: User may take 3d6 points of damage in order to use windscythe.
Invest: User gains air defense at +1 per two points invested. With 10 points invested, user may use gust of wind at will.
Limit: User may use windscythe and feather fall each two times per day.
Random: Standard action, 1d10 roll; 1-4: feather fall. 5-7: gust of wind. 8: wind wall. 9-10: User may not use this heart for ten minutes.
Spin: User may take a -2 penalty to armor class against an attack from an airborne enemy to gain 1 spin. 1-2 spin: User gains air defense at +2 per spin against one attack. 1 spin: Feather fall.

[Edit] I'll post all known hearts here (known meaning found and identified by the party).

Also of note: I use the damage reduction from armor and wound/vitality system from Unearthed Arcana, so hearts may make referance to those rules. In addition, I don't use alignments. Spells like protection from evil and thigns like smite evil become protection from abominations and smite abominations, where abominations are creatures that would be considered evil by your religion or perspective.

Base items and rank 0 hearts:

Accelerate:

Flail: +1 mighty cleaving flail. Starting heart: Shatter.
Greataxe: +1 mighty cleaving greataxe. Starting heart: Thunder.

Shatter (rank 0):
Shatter strike (Su): User may declare a shatter strike. This attack ignores up to 30 hardness when striking objects, and deals an additional 1d6 points of damage to objects.
Shatter (Sp): The user may use the shatter spell at a caster level equal to one per heart. Save DC is 15.

Accelerate: 2 charges: User may make a shatter strike with the item. 4 charges: User may use shatter.

Thunder (rank 0):
Sonic strike (Su): User may declare a sonic strike. This attack deals an additional 1d6 points of sonic damage. If the attack misses, the use is wasted.
Thunder (Sp): The user may create a bust of sound exactly as the sound burst spell at a caster level equal to one per heart. Save DC is 15.

Accelerate: 1 charge: User may make a sonic strike with the item. 4 charges: User may use thunder.

Charge:

Crossbow: +1 seeking light crossbow. Starting heart: Shell.
Short sword: +1 keen short sword. Starting heart: Mobility.

Shell (rank 0):
Resistance (Su): The user gains a resistance bonus to all saves.
Absorption (Su): The user gains spell resistance 12.

Charge: User gains resistance at +1 with at least one charge, increased by +1 per four charges. 1 charge: User gains absorption for one round.

Mobility (rank 0):
Acrobatics (Su): The user gains a bonus to Balance, Climb, and Jump checks.
Burst of speed (Su): The user gains a +10 enhancement bonus to movement speed.

Charge: User gains acrobatics at +1 with at least one charge, increased by +1 per two charges. 1 charge: User gains burst of speed for one minute.

Combo:

Daggers: Set of +1 defending daggers. Starting heart: Deadly strike.
Gauntlets: Set of +1 defending gauntlets. Starting heart: Rapid strike.

Rapid Strike (rank 0):
Rapid Strike (Su): The user may make an extra attack at his or her highest base attack bonus when making a full attack action. All attacks are made at a -2 penalty in this round.

Combo: First: Successful strike against a threatening enemy with item on user's turn. Second: User may use rapid strike with item attacks for one round. Progress only if at least one attack per weapon successfully deals damage to a threatening enemy. Third: User may use rapid strike with no penalty on attacks. Progress only if at least one attack per weapon successfully deals damage to a threatening enemy.

Deadly Strike (rank 0):
Deadly Strike (Su): The user may make a single attack at his or her highest base attack bonus as a full attack action. This attack deals an additional 2d6 damage.

Combo: First: Successful strike against a threatening enemy with item on user's turn. Second: User may make a single attack as a full-round action with one weapon. Progress only if this attack successfully deals damage to a threatening enemy. Third: User may use deadly strike with second weapon. Progress only if this attack successfully deals damage to a threatening enemy.

Constant:

Longsword: +2 longsword. Starting heart: Vigilant.
Mace: +1 merciful heavy mace. Starting heart: Everlight.

Everlight (rank 0):
Light (Su): This ability creates illumination as the light spell out to 60 feet, and light as the daylight spell out to 5 feet.

Constant: The item has the light ability at all times. Suppressing or reactivating this ability is a swift action.

Vigilant (rank 0):
Vigilance (Su): This ability grants the user a +3 competence bonus to Listen, Sense Motive, and Spot checks.

Constant: The item has the vigilance ability at all times.

Cooldown:

Unknown.

Drain:

Longsword: +1 vicious longsword. Starting heart: Vampirism.
Scythe: +1 vicious scythe. Starting heart: Leech.

Leech (rank 0):
Dehydrate (Su): The target of a successful dehydrate attack must make a fortitude save (DC 14) or take 2d4 points of desecration damage. If they take damage from this, the wielder gains 5 temporary hit points, which fade after one minute.
Bleed Dry (Su): The target the wielder’s next successful melee attack within the next round must make a fortitude save (DC 15) or take 1d4 points of constitution damage.

Drain: Passive: The user may give up 4 points of constitution in order to cause all attacks made by the item to be dehydrate attacks. Active: The user may take 2 points of strength damage in order to make a bleed dry attack. This damage cannot be prevented in any way.

Vampirism (rank 0):
Vampirism (Su): The target of a successful vampirism attack takes 1d4 points of negative energy damage, and the user gains the number of hit points lost. If the target is healed by negative energy, the user takes damage equal to the amount healed.
Empower (Su): The user's weapon gains a +1 increase to its enhancement bonus and deals an additional 1d6 negative energy damage on a successful hit.

Drain: Passive: The user may give up 4 points of constitution in order to cause all attacks made by the item to be vampirism attacks. Active: The user may take 2 points of dexterity damage in order to activate empower on the item for one round. This damage cannot be prevented in any way.

Invest:

Amulet: Amulet of natural armor +2. Starting heart: Jumping.
Bracers: Bracers of health +2 and resistance +1. Starting heart: Armor.

Armor (rank 0):
Armor Bonus (Su): User gains an armor bonus.
Damage Reduction (Su): User gains damage reduction.

Invest: User gains a +1 armor bonus with at least 1 point allocated. Every 2 points increases this bonus by +1. 6 points allocated grants the user damage reduction 3/-. This damage reduction counts as armor.

Jumping (rank 0):
Jump Bonus (Su): User gains an bonus on all Jump checks.
Leap Attack (Su): The user gains a +2 bonus to all damage rolls during a charge if s/he jumps at least 10 feet during the charge.

Invest: User gains a +2 jump bonus per point allocated. 6 points allocated grants the user leap attack.

Limit:

Longspear: +1 deflection longspear. Starting heart: Explosive.
Longbow: +1 distance longbow. Starting heart: Sleep.

Explosion (rank 0):
Explosion (Sp): All creatures within a 30-foot radius of the wielder take 4d6 points of fire damage. A reflex save (DC 15) halves this damage.

Limit: User may use explosion once per day.

Sleep (rank 0):
Sleep (Su): Target of a declared attack must make a will save (DC 14) or fall asleep as the sleep spell. When using this attack, all weapon damage is converted to non-lethal damage.

Limit: User may declare a sleep attack with the item three times per day.

Rapier: +1 frost rapier. Starting heart: Freeze.
Scimitar: +1 flaming scimitar. Starting heart: Sand.

Freeze (rank 0):
Freeze (Sp): User may cause one target to make a fortitude save (CD 14) or take a -4 penalty to Dexterity, and have its land movement speed reduced by 10 for one round per heart. Caster level one per heart.

Sand (rank 0):
Sandblast (Sp): User may cast sandblast (Complete Divine page 178) at a caster level equal to one per heart. Save DC is 14.

Random:

Kukri: +1 small ghost touch kukri. Starting heart: Exorcism.
Ring: Ring of mind shielding. Starting heart: Shock.

Exorcism (rank 0):
Destroy Undead (Su): The user makes a turning check at a caster level of one per heart, and rolls turning damage at a +3 Charisma bonus. Any undead that would be turned that has up to one hit die per heart is destroyed.
Turn Undead (Su): As destroy undead, but undead can only be turned and are never destroyed.
Empower Undead (Su): All undead within 60 feet gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls, saves, and skill checks, and cannot be turned for 1d4 rounds.

Random: Standard action, 1d10 roll: 1-2: Empower undead; 3-8: Turn undead; 9-10: Destroy undead.

Shock (rank 0):
Lightning (Sp): The user may fire a bolt of electricity at a single target within 60 feet. That target takes 6d6 electricity damage. A reflex save (DC 16) halves this damage. Caster level is one per heart.
Shock (Sp): The user may use the spell shocking grasp at a caster level equal to one per heart.
Zap (Su): The user takes 1d6 points of electricity damage.

Random: Standard action, 1d10 roll: 1-2: Zap; 2-8: Shock; 9: Lightning; 10: Lightning and zap.

Spin:

Headband: Headband of intellect (+2) and power (1st level spell). Starting heart: Spell Defense.
Staff: +1 spell storing/+1 quarter staff. Starting heart: Spell Power.

Spell Defense (rank 0):
Defense Drain (Su): The user's next save against a spell has a -2 penalty.
Spin Defense (Su): The user's next save against a spell gains a bonus.

Spin: The user may use defense drain on his or her next save against a spell to gain 2 spin. The spin is not gained if the spell is benign or the user voluntarily fails his or her save. It must be important to the user's own fate. 1-3 spin: The user's next save against a spell gains spin defense at +1 per spin spent.

Spell Power (rank 0):
Spell Drain (Su): The user's next spell has its save DC reduced by 2.
Spin Spell (Su): The user's next spell has its save DC increased.

Spin: The user may use spell drain on his or her next spell to gain 2 spin. The spin is not gained if the spell is benign or the target voluntarily fails its save. It must be important to the user's own fate. 1-3 spin: The user's next spell gains spin spell at +1 per spin spent.

Rank 1 hearts:

Cloak of Shadows:

Cloak of Shadows (rank 1):
Blindsight (Su): User gains blindsight.
Light sensitivity (Su): User gains light sensitivity, suffering a -2 morale penalty to all attacks, save, checks, and damage rolls in bright light.
Shadow cloak (Su): Wraps user in magical darkness, granting 40% miss chance, 20% in bright light.

Accelerate: 1 charge: blindsight out to 60 feet for one minute. 1 charge: shadow cloak for one round.
Charge: User gains blindsight out to 5 feet per charge. 1 charge: shadow cloak for one round.
Constant: User gains Blindsight out to 80 feet.
Combo: First: Successful strike against a threatening enemy with item on user's turn. Second: Standard action to gain blindsight out to 60 feet for three rounds on user’s turn. Third: May activate cloak of shadows for two rounds as a swift action.
Cooldown: One minute: Shadow cloak for one round. Five rounds: Blindsight out to 60 feet for one round.
Drain: Passive: User may give up 4 points of Wisdom in order to gain blindsight out to 60 feet. Active: User may gain light sensitivity for one minute in order to gain shadow cloak for one round. This ability may not be used while the user has light sensitivity.
Invest: User gains Blindsight 5 feet per point invested. 4 points invested grants light sensitivity and the ability to activate shadow cloak until the end of his/her next turn as a standard action. Points may not be taken out of this heart while shadow cloak is active.
Limit: User may gain blindsight out to 60 feet for ten minutes three times per day. Once per day, user may gain shadow cloak for one minute.
Points: 1 point: blindsight out to 60 feet for one minute. 3 points: shadow cloak for one round.
Random: Swift action, 1d10 roll; 1-2: light sensitivity for five minutes; 3-6 light sensitivity and blindsight out to 60 feet for one minute; 7-8: blindsight out to 60 feet for one minute; 9: light sensitivity, blindsight out to 60 feet, and shadow cloak for one round; 10: blindsight out to 60 feet and shadow cloak for one round.
Spin: User may gain light sensitivity for 24 hours to gain 3 Spin immediately. This ability may not be used while the user has light sensitivity. This Spin is lost if it is not used within 24 hours. 1 Spin: User gains blindsight out to 60 feet for one minute. 2 Spin: User gains shadow cloak for one round.

Mystery:

Mystery (rank 1):
Arrow of dusk (Sp): Ray deals 2d4 cold damage, 19-20 crit, medium range. Caster level one per heart.
Black candle (Sp): As the spell darkness or light (user’s choice). Caster level one per heart.
Caul of shadow (Sp): Shadows grant a +1 deflection bonus to AC, +1 per six caster levels. Caster level one per heart.
Liquid night (Sp): Create enough ink to write one page. Glows yellow or red in shadowy illumination (equal to a candle). Caster level one per heart.
Mystic reflections (Sp): As the spell detect magic. Caster level one per heart.
Shadow hood (Sp): Subject within close range makes a Will save (DC 13) or take a -1 penalty to attack rolls and Dexterity based checks for one round per level. Caster level one per heart.
Sight obscured (Sp): User gains a +5 bonus to Hide checks, Slight of Hand checks, and any checks that involve concealing the user’s actions of gestures for one round per level. Caster level one per heart.
Umbral hand (Sp): As mage hand, but affects up to 5 pounds per level. Caster level one per heart.
Widened eyes (Sp): User gains low-light vision for ten minutes per level. Caster level one per heart.
Chill (Su): The user takes 2d4 points of cold damage.

Accelerate: 2 charges: Arrow of dusk.
Charge: With at least 2 charges, use may use mystic reflection at will. 1 charge: Caul of shadow.
Constant: User may use widened eyes or liquid night at will.
Combo: First: Widened eyes. Second: Successful strike against a threatening enemy with item on user's turn. Third: Arrow of dusk.
Cooldown: Five rounds: Arrow of dusk. Reduce cooldown by one round: Chill as a swift action. Chill must deal full damage for this to work. This may be done only once before the item cools down.
Drain: Passive: User may take a -2 penalty on all skill checks in order to use caul of shadow at will. Active: User is affected by chill in order to use black candle. Chill must deal full damage for this to work.
Invest: With at least 2 points, user may use caul of shadow at will. With at least 6, user may use arrow of dusk at will.
Limit: User may use black candle and sight obscured each three times per day.
Points: 1 point: Mystic reflections. 2 points: Arrow of dusk.
Random: Standard action, 1d10 roll: 1: Arrow of dusk. 2: Black candle. 3: Caul of shadow. 4: Liquid night. 5: Mystic reflections. 6: Shadow hood. 7: Sight obscured. 8: Umbral hand. 9: Widened eyes. 10: Chill, and heart may not be used for one minute.
Spin: User may take a -4 penalty on a Hide or Bluff check to gain 1 Spin. 1 Spin: Shadow hood, black candle, or umbral hand.

Shadow Hand:

Shadow Hand (rank 1):
Child of shadow (Su): User gains concealment as long as s/he has moved at least 10 feet in a round. This does not allow the user to use the Hide skill as if s/he had concealment.
Clinging shadow strike (Su): User makes a melee attack that deals an additional 1d6 damage. If successful, the target makes a Will save (DC 14) or suffers a 20% miss chance on all attacks for one round.
Cloak of deception (Su): User becomes invisible as greater invisibility until the end of his/her turn.
Drain vitality (Su): User makes a melee attack. If successful, the target makes a Fortitude save (DC 15) or takes 2 points of Constitution damage.
Island of blades (Su): If the user and an ally are both adjacent to an enemy, that enemy is considered flanked.
Shadow blade technique (Su): User makes a melee attack, but rolls two attacks and chooses which result to use. If the higher result is chosen, the attack deals damage normally. If the lower is chosen, or they tie, the attack deals an additional 1d6 damage.
Shadow jaunt (Sp): As a standard action, the user may teleport up to 50 feet away. The user must have line of sight, and the space must be unoccupied. Caster level one per heart.

Accelerate: 2 charges: Clinging shadow strike.
Charge: With at least 2 charges, user may use island of blades.
Constant: User may use child of shadow.
Combo: First: Successful strike against a threatening enemy with item on user's turn. Second: Shadow blade technique as a full-round action. Progress only if the attack successfully strikes a threatening enemy. Third: If the lower roll was chosen, cloak of deception. If the higher roll was chosen, shadow jaunt.
Cooldown: One minutes: Cloak of deception.
Drain: Active: User may take 2 points of intelligence damage in order to use drain vitality.
Invest: With at least 2 points, user may use child of shadow. With at least 4, user may use island of blades.
Limit: User may use clinging shadow strike twice per day, and shadow blade technique once per day.
Random: Standard action, 1d10 roll: 1-4: shadow jaunt. 5-9: Heart may not be used for one hour. 10: Cloak of deception.
Spin: 3 spin: Cloak of deception.

Shadow Steel:

Shadow Steel (rank 1):
Steel shadows (Sp): User gains a +3 armor bonus and +3 shield bonus. Caster level one per heart.
Sight eclipsed (Su): User may make Hide checks while being observed as if s/he had cover or concealment. Caster level one per heart.
Sharp shadows (Sp): Any creature striking the user with its body or a handheld weapon takes 1d6 plus 1 per level points of damage. Reach weapons ignore this effect, and spell resistance applies. Caster level one per heart.
Cutting light (Su): User takes slashing damage based on the illumination of the area. This damage overcomes all damage reduction. Total darkness deals no damage. Slight illumination deals 1 points of damage. Torch light or the equivalent deals 1d6 damage. Sunlight deals 2d6 points of damage.

Accelerate: 1 charge: User gains sharp shadows for one round.
Charge: 1 charge: User gains steel shadows for ten minutes.
Constant: User gains sight eclipsed, but takes a -6 penalty to Hide checks while being observed.
Combo: First: Successful strike against a threatening enemy with item on user's turn. Second: sharp shadows for one round. Progress only if this effect deals damage. Third: Sight eclipsed.
Cooldown: One minutes: Sharp shadows for one round.
Drain: Passive: User may take a -1 penalty to all saves to gain steel shadows for 24 hours.
Invest: User gains sharp shadows with 4 points invested, and may use sight eclipsed with 12 points invested.
Limit: Twice per day: Steel shadows for ten minutes per heart. Once per day: Sharp shadows for one minute.
Random: Standard action, 1d10 roll; 1-3: Cutting light; 4-7 Steel shadows for one minute; 8-9: sharp shadows for one round; 10: sharp shadows for one minute and cutting light.
Spin: User may take a -2 penalty to armor class against a metal bladed melee weapon in order to gain 1 Spin. 2 Spin: Sight eclipsed for one round.

Vile Rune:

Vile Rune (rank 1):
Acid spew (Su): User may hurl a glob of acid at a target within 100 feet as a touch attack. If successful, the target takes 5d6 acid damage (reflex save DC 15 half).
Extended reach (Su): The user’s natural reach extends by 5 feet.
Psychic scent (Su): The user may track by following psychic trails. The user gains a +20 bonus to all Survival checks made to track. Mindless creatures and those shielded against mental effects negate this bonus.
Uncanny sense (Su): User may not be flanked.
Web spew (Su): User may hurl a glob of sticky goo at a target within 100 feet as a touch attack. This has the effect of a single target web spell (DC 15).

Accelerate: 2 charges: Web spew.
Charge: With at least 4 charges, user gains psychic scent. 1 charge: Extended reach for five rounds.
Constant: Uncanny sense.
Combo: First: Successful strike against a threatening enemy with item on user's turn. Second: Extended reach for one round. Progress only if the user makes a successful strike against a threatening enemy with item. Third: Extended reach for two rounds.
Cooldown: One minute: Acid spew. One minute: Web spew.
Drain: Passive: User may give up 2 points of Strength in order to gain uncanny sense. Active: User may take 2d6 points of acid damage in order to use acid spew or web spew.
Invest: User gains psychic scent with 4 points invested, and extended reach with 8 points invested.
Limit: User may use acid spew and web spew a combined total of five times per day.
Points: 3 points: Web spew. 3 points: Extended reach for one round.
Random: Standard action, 1d10 roll; 1-3: User takes 1d6 points of acid damage; 4-6 Web spew; 7-9: Acid spew; 10: User takes 4d6 points of acid damage, and may use a combined acid spew and web spew as one touch attack.
Spin: User may take a -2 penalty on a save against poison or disease to gain 2 spin.

Fleeting Word:

Fleeting Word (rank 1):
Defensive edge (Sp): The user may speak a word, granting an ally a +1 bonus to armor class or causing an enemy to take a -1 penalty to armor class for five rounds (Will DC 14 negates). The target must hear the word. Caster level one per heart.
Fleeting (Su): User gains an enhancement bonus to movement speed.
Seek the sky (Sp): The user may speak a word, granting an ally the ability fly as the fly spell or cause an enemy to lose its ability to fly (Will DC 16 negates) for 5 rounds. The enemy falls harmlessly at a rate of 60 feet per round if it was in flight, and may not fly once it reaches the ground. The target must hear the word. Caster level one per heart.
Speed of the zephyr (Sp): The user may speak a word, granting an ally haste or causing an enemy to be slowed (Will DC 16 negates) for five rounds. The target must hear the word. Caster level one per heart.
Temporal spiral (Sp): The user may speak a word, immediately granting an ally a single move action or causing an enemy to be dazed for three rounds (Will DC 16 negates). The target must hear the word. Caster level one per heart.
Temporal twist (Sp): The user may speak a word, immediately granting an ally a free ranged or melee attack or causing an enemy to be dazed for one round (will DC 15 negates). This free attack does not stack with that granted by a haste spell or similar effect. The target must hear the word. Caster level one per heart.

Accelerate: 2 charges: Temporal twist.
Charge: User gains fleeting at 5 feet per 4 charges. 1 charge: Speed of the zephyr.
Constant: User may use defensive edge targeting him/herself at will.
Combo: First: Successful strike against a threatening enemy with item on user's turn. Second: Defensive edge on user’s turn. Third: If the user used defensive edge on an ally, temporal twist on an enemy. If the user used defensive edge on an enemy, temporal twist on an ally.
Cooldown: Three minutes: Temporal spiral. One minute: Temporal twist.
Drain: Active: User may use defensive edge or speed of the zephyr on both him/herself and a target. The effect must be as an enemy on the user, and it must take effect for the target to be affected.
Invest: User gains fleeting at 5 feet per 2 points invested.
Limit: User may use seek the sky five times per day.
Points: 3 points: Temporal twist. 5 points: temporal spiral.
Random: User may use speed of the zephyr at will, but must roll 1d10 when doing so. On a result of 1-7 the effect takes place normally. On a result of 8-10 the effect is reversed, considering an ally an enemy and an enemy an ally.
Spin: User may be affected by the enemy version of speed of the zephyr in order to gain 2 spin that must be used while the user is affected by the ability.

Word of Battle

Word of Battle (rank 1):
Accelerated attack (Sp): The user may speak a word, granting a target the Spring attack feat or allows a target to cast a spell and move his/her normal movement speed as a standard action for one round. The caster must make a Concentration check (DC 20) or lose the spell. A DC 25 check may be made to use this ability and cast defensively at the same time. The target must hear the word. Caster level one per heart.
Archer’s eye (Sp): The user may speak a word, granting a target the ability to ignore penalties for concealment on ranged attacks or granting it the protection from arrows spell for five rounds. The target must hear the word. Caster level one per heart.
Battle critical (Su): User gains a bonus to attack rolls to confirm critical hits.
Inertia surge (Sp): The user may speak a word, granting an ally the freedom of movement spell or causing an enemy to become unable to move from it’s space (Will DC 14 negates) for one round. The target must hear the word. Caster level one per heart.
Knight’s puissance (Sp): The user may speak a word, granting an ally a +1 bonus to attack rolls or an enemy a -1 penalty to attack rolls (will DC 14 negates) for five rounds. The target must hear the word. Caster level one per heart.
Strike of might (Sp): The user may speak a word, causing an ally’s next weapon damage roll to deal an additional 10 points of damage or reducing and enemies next weapon damage roll by 5 within the next round. The target must hear the word. Caster level one per heart.

Accelerate: 2 charges: Strike of might.
Charge: User gains battle critical at +1 per 3 charges. 1 charge: Accelerated attack.
Constant: User may use knights puissance targeting him/herself at will.
Combo: First: Successful strike against a threatening enemy with item on user's turn. Second: knight’s puissance on user’s turn. Third: If the user used knight’s puissance on an ally, strike of might on an enemy. If the user used knight’s puissance on an enemy, strike of might on an ally.
Cooldown: One minutes: Archer’s eye. Five rounds: Strike of might.
Drain: Active: User may use knight’s puissance or inertia surge on both him/herself and a target. The effect must be as an enemy on the user, and it must take effect for the target to be affected.
Invest: User gains battle critical at +1 per 2 points invested.
Limit: User may use accelerated attack six times per day.
Random: User may use inertia surge at will, but must roll 1d10 when doing so. On a result of 1-7 the effect takes place normally. On a result of 8-10 the effect is reversed, considering an ally an enemy and an enemy an ally.
Spin: User may take a -2 penalty to armor class against a ranged attack to gain 1 spin. 2 spin: Archer’s eye.

Summoning:

Summoning (rank 1):
Augment Summoning (Su): User gains the augment summoning feat.
Magic circle against summoned creatures (Sp): As magic circle against abominations, but grants protection from summoned creatures instead of protection from abominations. Caster level one per heart.
Protection from summoned creatures (Sp): As protection from abominations, but this effect does not have any effect on abominations, and blessed summoned creatures are affected. Caster level one per heart.
Summon monster I (Sp): As the summon monster I spell. Caster level one per heart.
Summon monster II (Sp): As the summon monster II spell. Caster level one per heart.
Summon monster III (Sp): As the summon monster III spell. Caster level one per heart.

Accelerate: 2 charges: summon monster II.
Charge: With at least 5 charges, user gains augment summoning. 1 charge: Summon monster II.
Constant: Augment summoning.
Combo: First: Successful strike against a threatening enemy with item on user's turn. Second: summon monster I on user’s turn. Progress only if the summoned monster makes a successful attack against a threatening enemy and survives until user’s next action. Third: Dismiss summon monster I to use summon monster II on user’s turn.
Cooldown: Five minutes: Summon monster III. Two minutes: Summon monster II. Five rounds: Summon monster I. Only one casting may be active at a time.
Drain: Passive: User may give up 2 points of wisdom and charisma to gain augment summoning. Active: User may use summon monster II, but when the spell ends, summon monster II is used in an adjacent space, and immediately attacks the user. Hostile monsters do not gain any special benefits from their summoner, such as augment summoning.
Invest: User gains protection from summoned creatures with 3 points invested and magic circle against summoned creatures with 7 points invested.
Limit: User may use Summon monster III twice per day.
Points: 3 points: Summon monster II. 5 points: Magic circle against summoned creatures.
Random: Standard action, 1d10 roll; 1-3: Summon monster I. 4-6: Summon monster II. 7: Summon monster III. 8: Summon monster I attacks user. 9: Summon monster II attacks user. 10: Summon monster III ignores orders and does nothing. Hostile monsters do not gain any special benefits from their summoner, such as augment summoning.
Spin: User may take a -2 penalty on a caster level check to overcome spell resistance to gain 2 spin. 2 spin: Summon monster II.

Illusion:

Illusion (rank 1):
Ghost sound (Sp): As the ghost sound spell. DC 13. Caster level one per heart.
Major image (Sp): As the major image spell. DC 16. Caster level one per heart.
Minor image (Sp): As the minor image spell. DC 15. Caster level one per heart.
Mirror image (Sp): As the mirror image spell. Caster level one per heart.
Resist illusion (Su): User gains a resistance bonus to saves against illusions.
See the seen (Sp): User may not save against any illusion within 100 feet (at the time of the casting) for one minute, even if interacted with. Caster level one per heart.
Silent image (Sp): As the silent image spell. DC 14. Caster level one per heart.
Unsee the seen (Sp): User may immediately make a saving throw against all illusions within 100 feet that normally require interaction to allow a save for. This ability may affect any individual illusion only once. Interaction still allows a save if this save fails. Caster level one per heart.

Accelerate: 2 charges: Minor image.
Charge: User gains resist illusion at +1 per three charges. 1 charge: Minor image.
Constant: User may use ghost sound at will. Only one casting may be active at a time.
Combo: First: Successful save against an illusion spell during the round. Second: Mirror image.
Cooldown: Five minutes: Major image. Two minutes: Minor image. Five rounds: Silent image. Only one casting may be active at a time.
Drain: Active: User may use silent image, but believes the illusion is real and may not save against it.
Invest: User gains resist illusion at +1 per two points invested. With 6 points invested, user may use unsee the seen at will.
Limit: User may use major image and mirror image each once per day.
Random: Standard action, 1d10 roll; 1-7: unsee the seen. 8-10: see the seen.
Spin: 2 spin: mirror image.

Rank 2 hearts:

Command:

Command (rank 2):
Avoid control (Su): User may make a second saving throw against a mind-influencing effect.
Command (Sp): As the command spell. DC 14. Caster level one per heart.
Commanding voice (Su): The DC of the user’s language-dependant effects increases.
Reasonable requests (Su): User gains a competence bonus to Diplomacy and Gather Information checks.
Suggestion (Sp): As the suggestion spell, but suggestion need not sound reasonable. DC 16. Caster level one per heart.

Accelerate: 2 charges: Avoid control.
Charge: User gains reasonable requests at +1 per two charges. 1 charge: Suggestion.
Constant: User may use command at will.
Combo: First: Successful save against a mind-influencing spell during the round. Second: Command and commanding voice at +3 until the end of user’s next turn.
Cooldown: Five minutes: Suggestion. Five rounds: Avoid control.
Drain: Passive: User may take a -2 penalty to Will saves in order to gain commanding voice at +2. Active: User may take 4 points of charisma damage in order to use suggestion.
Invest: User gains commanding voice at +1 per two points invested. With 8 points invested, user may use command at will. With 12 points invested, user may use suggestion at will.
Limit: User may use suggestion three times per day.
Points: 3 points: Commanding voice at +2 for one round per heart. 5 points: Suggestion.
Random: Free action when affected by a mind-influencing effect, 1d10 roll; 1-8: Avoid control if save fails. 9-10: Save automatically fails.
Spin: User may choose to fail a Will save against a mind-influencing effect in order to gain 3 spin. 3 Spin: Avoid control. 4 spin: Suggestion.

Wind:

Wind (rank 2):
Air defense (Su): User gains a bonus to Armor Class against attacks made by airborne enemies.
Feather fall (Sp): As the feather fall spell. Caster level one per heart.
Gust of wind (Sp): As the gust of wind spell. DC 15. Caster level one per heart.
Wind wall (Sp): As the wind wall spell. DC 16. Caster level one per heart.
Windscythe (Sp): Ranged attack deals 5d6 slashing damage. Range 100 feet. Overcomes damage reduction as a magic weapon, and ignores spell resistance. Caster level one per heart.

Accelerate: 2 charges: Windscythe.
Charge: User gains air defense at +1 per three charges. 1 charge: Wind wall.
Constant: User may use feather fall at will.
Combo: First: Successful strike against a threatening airborne enemy on user’s turn. Second: Gust of wind. Progress only if struck enemy fails its save. Third: Windscythe.
Cooldown: Five rounds: Gust of wind. Reduce cooldown by 1 round: As a swift action, user takes 2d6 points of slashing damage. This may be done only once before the item cools down.
Drain: Passive: User may take a -4 penalty to attack rolls to confirm critical hits in order to gain air defense at +4. Active: User may take 3d6 points of damage in order to use windscythe.
Invest: User gains air defense at +1 per two points invested. With 10 points invested, user may use gust of wind at will.
Limit: User may use windscythe and feather fall each two times per day.
Random: Standard action, 1d10 roll; 1-4: feather fall. 5-7: gust of wind. 8: wind wall. 9-10: User may not use this heart for ten minutes.
Spin: User may take a -2 penalty to armor class against an attack from an airborne enemy to gain 1 spin. 1-2 spin: User gains air defense at +2 per spin against one attack. 1 spin: Feather fall.

Matthew
2007-08-05, 02:58 AM
It's all a bit much to take in and E6 received a rather frosty reception hereabouts. Looks okay to me.

Vadin
2007-08-05, 01:38 PM
I really like the combo thing. So the hearts...do they find them? Spend xp on them? Do different hearts have different abilites, or are the abilites within the weapons?

Goober4473
2007-08-05, 03:51 PM
The hearts are about 1-2 inch diameter rocks in the shapes of hearts (like a human hear, not a Valentine's heart). So far they've mostly found them in the chests of powerful enemies.

In ages past there was a master race that ruled over mortals. The masters feared mortal power, which was faith, and so enslaved them and made them believe in the masters as gods, granting them great power through the mortals' faith energy. They condenced this energy into hearts, and used them as weapons. The masters had many servants besides mortals, who were granted some of the faith in exchange for their service.

Eventually, the masters decided to create an ultimate breed of servants to do battle for them. These were the dragons. But the dragons were too powerful for the masters, and they rebelled, convincing the mortals to aid them. They showed the mortals how to craft weapons that could use the condenced faith that had been stolen from them, and they sealed away the other servant races. Little is known about the events following this, but eventually mortals gained dominion over the world, and the masters were forgotten.

Now, 20,000 years later, the servants are awakening, angry that mortals now rule the world, and wishing for their power back. But the mortals have found their ancient weapons again, and a few small groups now hunt the servants, taking the hearts back to use against them.

[edit]: I added all of the currently known hearts in the first post.