PDA

View Full Version : Help needed making a campaign setting.

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-03, 01:24 AM
I'm not sure how any of these ideas would go over with any one here, but I would like some help in crafting a campaign. Note that I don't like the idea of a campaign either being entirely serious or comedic. Please walk me through this, I need help coming up with a campaign setting and I need someone to walk me through the process. I especially need help with the races and cultures.

1. The core monk class will not be used for Western or Byzantine-style monks. The core monk class is more appropriate for a Far Eastern campaign. Monks based off of Western or Byzantine monks will either clerics (for warrior monks) or archivists (for scholarly monks and friars).
2. Any and all religious knightly orders will be comprised entirely by clerics, not paladins. Paladins are more accurately thought of as Lawful Good solders whose devotion to his or her god or goddess is rewarded with extraordinary powers. Paladin equivalents of other alignments would also be secular (non-clerical) warriors specifically blessed by their patron.
3. Necromancy is the magic of life and death. In other words Necromancy is magic related to organic substances and compounds.
4. Any and all multi-class restrictions based solely on class are eliminated.
5. Wizardly magic comes from scientific knowledge and experimentation.
6. All races have political structures and territory. Most races have two preferred schools of magic. This is list of some of those races.

{table=head]Race|Alignment*|Model|Preferred school or schools**
Dwarves|
LG|
Germanic Countries|Tran., Conju.
Elves|
CG|
British Imperial Republic|Nec., Abj.
Gnomes|
N(L)G|
Switzerland|Ill., Tran.
Gnolls|
CE|
Hobseian anarchy|Nec.
Goblins|
LN|
Puritan England|Tran., Evoc.
Halflings|
NG|
rural England|none
Hags|
NE|
Forests near elven and dwarven territory. Kidnappers, thieves, and hit women.|Nec., Illu.
Hobgoblins|
LG|
Puritian England ex-patriates |Abju.
Humans|
varied|
varied|none
Kobolds (1)|
LE|
Germanic|Ench., Evoc.
Kobolds (2)|
LG|
Persian Empire (Zoroastrian)|Conju., Div.
Orcs|
LE|
a mix of Sparta and Celtic culture|Conju., Ench.
Ogres|
CG|
see elves|Nec., Tran.
Trolls|
CE|
no country, numerous war bands Germanic|none
[/table]

*The alignment column is for that race's alignment as a whole.
**This is for what school of magic this race prefers to specialize in.
7. All arcane magic is class and level based as well as skill based.
8. Clerics serve as warrior priests or warrior monks.
9. Druids, clerics, and archivists require a specific patron for their powers. They also can only cast spells appropriate to that deity.
10. Being a somewhat eclectic campaign it will be inspired by a number of sources. This includes every thing from Shrek (for some humor as well as a modified version of the ogre race), The Legends of Charlemagne (and other examples of heroic fantasy), Kolchak the Nightstalker, to The X-Files as well as various historical works and some fairy tales.

I've partially fleshed out some of the setting and would gladly accept any help needed.

In this campaign setting there are 13 main races and two cultural variants aside from those of humanity. Each of them plays an important geopolitical on this world, some for the better and some for the worse. In addition there are numerous religions and sects within this world each with its own social and political sphere of influence. I'm also going to make some significant changes to elves, goblins and ogres. I'll also need help with the background text for each race. Mostly I need help organizing my thoughts, not coming up with the ideas themselves. For each race I'm using a similar format to Iron Crown Entertainment's Rolemaster and Middle Earth Role-Playing systems.

All racial information has been moved into individual threads.

The split between goblins and hobgoblins took place in the year 563 O.E. (Orcish Empire). It took place over the concept of predestination and weather or not salvation requires good works. The theologian Arthur Bitterwood, head of the goblin delegation, argued that God had determined the damnation or salvation of all the members of the sentient races at the beginning of time. Arguing for the hobgoblins, was the theologian Roger Dentroot, articulated the position that all thinking races are responsible for their own damnation or salvation. After decades of looking for a new home hobgoblin kind (under the leadership Roger Dentroot) came up on the Sun kobolds. They almost immediately saw them as fellows who agreed with portions of their theology, and settled among the Good kobolds acting as guards and front line troops.
However this was only the final straw for goblin-hobgoblin relations. In the year 2516 F.D. (Fae Dominion), war broke out between the Fae League, also known as the "good fairies"(made up of the elves, goblins, hobgoblins, ogres, nymphs, satyrs and other non-Evil fae) and the combined forces of the cave dwelling Western kobolds, the hag covens, and twelve dozen orcish war bands, as well as corrupted fae of other kinds. While the Fae League triumphed, allegations of goblin humiliation of prisoners of war surfaced. In response to these concerns the famed goblin statesman Reginald Blackstone said, "Provided we do not take part in the same blasphemous cannibalistic actions as the orcs do, are we not justified in treating them the way we would treat common animals?" This caused a schism in the fae community split apart the goblins and hobgoblins.

Well known characters of this setting: Armadal Cannonach (LE ogre fighter 12, Dark Mashal of Bael 12), Doctor Jonathan Ellington (CG human anatomist, level undecided), Barthold Dehmer (CG bearfolk deathslayer 21, marshal of liberty 15) and king Artakhshathra (paladin 4, anatomist 18, found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2966852&postcount=23)).

Any help or ideas are welcome.

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-03, 11:26 PM
Please help me.

Matthew
2007-08-04, 12:25 AM
Should your Military Orders really only be populated by Clerics? It seems to me that the vast majority of the fighting arm of a Military Order would be composed of Warriors and Fighters (or the equivalents). Clerics are more the Chaplins within the Order, I would have thought. Also, remember that a large number of the Monks are likely to be Experts and Archivists, even in Military Orders, as they need support staff.

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-04, 01:46 AM
Should your Military Orders really only be populated by Clerics? It seems to me that the vast majority of the fighting arm of a Military Order would be composed of Warriors and Fighters (or the equivalents). Clerics are more the Chaplins within the Order, I would have thought. Also, remember that a large number of the Monks are likely to be Experts and Archivists, even in Military Orders, as they need support staff.

The military orders that I'm talking about are monastic or priestly military orders, which is what I think of most when envision clerics. I could imagine archivists and experts acting as support though. Now if you want military orders of druids, that could also be feasible. Think about that for a moment, druidic templars.

Matthew
2007-08-04, 08:20 AM
Yeah, I know. However, don't you think it's a bit crazy to conceive of a Military Order staffed only by Clerics? What's to stop other Character Classes from becoming Monks? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big proponent of Clerics as Warrior Monks, but I don't see them as dominating Monastic Military Orders. I guess it depends what you consider the frequency of Clerics to be in your Campaign World, though.

Edivad
2007-08-04, 10:33 AM
This all looks very interesting, especially the races.

For the Hags, im particularly interested, I was statting them for my own setting(using GURPS, though..)
If these hags live in forests, then you might base yourself on the Green ones, who live in swamps and "dark forests". Of course, if you want them available as a player race you might have to reduce their powers, or simply remove some abilities.
A Green Hag has:
* +8 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +4 Charisma
* Darkvision 90
* Spell Resistance 18
* 9 racial hit dice of "monstrous humanoid"
* Spell-Like Abilities AT WILL: dancing lights, disguise self, ghost sound (DC 12), invisibility, pass without trace, tongues, water breathing.
* Touch of weakness, victim must pass a Fortitude save (DC 10 + half of hag hit dice + hag Charisma bonus, usually 16)or take 2d6 of Str damage.
* Mimicry.
* 30' swim speed, and +8 on Swim checks.
* ECL +unknown(SRD doesn't mention it)

As you can see, this race is particularly powerful.
Here's a MUCH weakened version, that MIGHT be be balanced with +2 ECL.
* +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma
* Darkvision 60'
* Spell Resistance 10 + class level.
* Touch of weakness: causes 1d4 rather than 2d6 Str damage.
* Disguise self once/day. Becomes twice/day at level 6, three times at level 12 and four at level 18.
* ECL +2.

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-04, 05:16 PM
This all looks very interesting, especially the races.

For the Hags, im particularly interested, I was statting them for my own setting(using GURPS, though..)
If these hags live in forests, then you might base yourself on the Green ones, who live in swamps and "dark forests". Of course, if you want them available as a player race you might have to reduce their powers, or simply remove some abilities.
A Green Hag has:
* +8 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +4 Charisma
* Darkvision 90
* Spell Resistance 18
* 9 racial hit dice of "monstrous humanoid"
* Spell-Like Abilities AT WILL: dancing lights, disguise self, ghost sound (DC 12), invisibility, pass without trace, tongues, water breathing.
* Touch of weakness, victim must pass a Fortitude save (DC 10 + half of hag hit dice + hag Charisma bonus, usually 16)or take 2d6 of Str damage.
* Mimicry.
* 30' swim speed, and +8 on swim checks.
* ECL +unknown(SRD doesn't mention it)

As you can see, this race is particularly powerful.
Here's a MUCH weakened version, that MIGHT be be balanced with +2 ECL.
* +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma
* Darkvision 60'
* Spell Resistance 10 + class level.
* Touch of weakness: causes 1d4 rather than 2d6 Str damage.
* Disguise self once/day. Becomes twice/day at level 6, three times at level 12 and four at level 18.
* ECL +2.

* Darkvision 60'

Well thank you. I'm not sure which green hag to use yet, though I'm leaning toward some middle ground. I also need help figuring suitable classes for each race.

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-05, 01:00 AM
I added a bit to hags, ogres, trolls and mostly finished goblins. Any other help would be welcome.

Matthew
2007-08-05, 04:10 AM
Okay, let's try and help by way of quick review.

1) Agree, more or less.

2) Disagree, Monastic Military Orders should be open to any Class willing to take the vows, though Clerics should have a special role within the Order; just my view, though, it's your campaign.

3) Fair enough, I see no problem.

4) Okay, no problem.

5) Not my thing, but okay.

6) Not a big fan of this approach to world building. Too exclusive for my liking.

7) Good.

8) Agree.

9) Could take or leave.

10) Okay, sounds interesting.

I think Elves and Goblins could stand to put on a little weight.

Okay, so Goblins and Hobgoblins are being treated as a more sophisticated Race than normal, along the lines of Kingdoms of Kalamar.

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-05, 09:40 AM
Okay, so Goblins and Hobgoblins are being treated as a more sophisticated Race than normal, along the lines of Kingdoms of Kalamar.

I've never heard of the Kingdom of Kalamar, so what are you talking about?

Neon Knight
2007-08-05, 11:05 AM
Why no Slavic cultures?

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-05, 11:09 AM
Why no Slavic cultures?

I'll come up with those later.

Matthew
2007-08-05, 12:17 PM
I've never heard of the Kingdom of Kalamar, so what are you talking about?

This is what I am talking about: Kingdoms of Kalamar (http://www.kenzerco.com/index.php?cPath=25_28). It's an official Dungeons & Dragons Campaign Setting under license agreement between Kenzer and Company and Wizards of the Coast.

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-05, 05:17 PM
This is what I am talking about: Kingdoms of Kalamar (http://www.kenzerco.com/index.php?cPath=25_28). It's an official Dungeons & Dragons Campaign Setting under license agreement between Kenzer and Company and Wizards of the Coast.

Now I know. Thank you for the explanation.

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-05, 09:11 PM
This will also use a modified Level Adjustment rule. Characters with LA simply have "off levels". These are levels that do nothing but contribute to ECL on certain intervals. Take for example a green hag, in my campaign simply a hag. Under these rules a hag can start play as a 9th level character with only racial Hit Dice. At tenth level she gains her first class level, let's say archivist. She can advance as far as she wants as an archivist but every 3rd level she must take an off level until she reachs her LA of +6. Is this fair, over powered or under powered?

Yakk
2007-08-05, 10:29 PM
Might I suggest making all races be about LA +2?

This gives you lots of room to make interesting classes and bonuses.

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-05, 11:11 PM
Might I suggest making all races be about LA +2?

This gives you lots of room to make interesting classes and bonuses.

Could you explain how this would work? It sounds some what interesting.

Yakk
2007-08-06, 01:09 AM
Just write your races to have +2 LA worth of toys?

Dwarves might have DR, Elves might have innate spell-like abilities, etc etc.

These abilities could even scale with level. A 10th level elf might have the ability to cast a 3rd level spell as a spell-like ability.

Basically, balance your races around a "higher starting point" than the standard D&D, and note that no PC race can be weaker than this baseline.

You could take as a basis for ideas for the standard races the "Paragon" classes:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm

That is just for ideas -- the Paragon classes aren't designed for this purpose that well.

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-06, 12:38 PM
So how would I reduce the ogre's LA to +2? Also, how do I determine what LA to assign based on racial abilities that scale by level?

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-06, 06:13 PM
Just write your races to have +2 LA worth of toys?

Dwarves might have DR, Elves might have innate spell-like abilities, etc etc.

These abilities could even scale with level. A 10th level elf might have the ability to cast a 3rd level spell as a spell-like ability.

Basically, balance your races around a "higher starting point" than the standard D&D, and note that no PC race can be weaker than this baseline.

You could take as a basis for ideas for the standard races the "Paragon" classes:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm

That is just for ideas -- the Paragon classes aren't designed for this purpose that well.

I looked at all of your suggestions and I still need help. While I understand LA, I dont know how to assign it.

Yakk
2007-08-06, 06:58 PM
There are a number of systems for balancing racial LAs.

Here are some attempts:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=667683

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12287

I can't find the one that was done by Wizards...

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-06, 07:27 PM
Thank you Yakk. They both seem useful. I'll try them out.

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-08, 06:26 PM
The elves in this setting are highly intelligent and serve as among the greatest scientists in this campaign setting. Elves also are deeply philosophical and tend to have a great connection the spiritual. They see a difference, but no conflict between scientific magic (wizardry) and miraculous powers (divine magic). In fact members of the elven clergy openly encourage the arcane sciences and are often time’s wizards themselves. Among the physical attributes of elven kind are good health and the long life that goes with it. Elves are more nimble and agile than humans are, but have weaker and less developed muscles than humans have. On average elves are more intelligent, wiser, healthier and more nimble than humans. At the same time elves have less muscular strength than humans do. Based on this what ability bonuses or penalties should the elves possess?

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-09, 04:59 PM
Well anyone else please help me? I need help. This is my first campaign world and I just need help and advice. I'm very new to making campaign settings and I'm really going to need a lot of help. Please just help me. If I had every major detail fully worked out I wouldn't be asking for your advice, I'd just post it and say I'm done. Now please anyone, especially if you have experience in making campaign settings, help me. I don't really know what to do. I just can't do this on my own. I'm sorry if anyone was either angered or annoyed by what I just said.

Yakk
2007-08-10, 10:14 AM
If this is your first world, KISS: keep it simple, silly.

Use a small set of pre-built by WotC LA+0 races, with maybe a LA+1 race or two.

Use standard classes, with at most a few tweaks.

Use mostly standard rules.

The world can be made interesting and unique without changing the game rules that much.

Umarth
2007-08-10, 03:23 PM
[QUOTE=Duke Malagigi;3010346]Well anyone else please help me? I need help. This is my first campaign world and I just need help and advice. QUOTE]

I think your asking for help in to broad a way. What specifically do have a question about?

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-10, 05:53 PM
Well anyone else please help me? I need help. This is my first campaign world and I just need help and advice.

I think your asking for help in to broad a way. What specifically do have a question about?

Well, I need help figuring out the racial abilities and culture for elves, Western and Persian kobolds (the later rule an entire empire complete with humans as officials and regional governors), orcs who are smarter than the SRD orcs and have an empire, goblin kind including hobgoblins, ogres, trolls and a bit more on hags. Afterward we'll go on to the major religions of this world as well as the social and political structures of numans and non-humans. When we're done with all of that we can go on to capitals and other major cities. Just take things one step at a time. Let's start with elves and go to either hags or one of two kobold subraces.

Duke Malagigi
2007-09-06, 01:23 PM
Dwarves

Physical Character

Build: Stocky and muscular. 160 lbs. on average
Coloring: Fair skinned to light tan in color, often times with reddish brown hair and gray eyes.
Endurance: Tremendous. They can carry great burdens over long distances with little rest.
Height: 4 to 5 feet tall.
Lifespan: 200-400 years.
Resistance:Dwarves are highly resistant to extremes in temperature. They gain a +4 to saving throws against to ice and fire based attacks. This replaces the +2 to saving throws for all spells and spell like abilities.
Special Abilities: A +4 to Strength and -4 to Dexterity. Dwarves are not only sturdy and resilient but also physically powerful. However they are as physically awkward as they are gruff and tactless. All other standard dwarven racial abilities with an addition +2 bonus to metalworking based Craft skills.

Culture
Clothing and Decoration: The clothing worn by dwarven civilians and military would be based off of that of the Germanic States of the late nineteenth century.
Fears and Inabilities: Dwarves possess no debilitating fears what so ever.
Marriage Pattern: Monogamous.
Religion: A combination of ancestor worship and devotion to Metallkoinig, Lord of Metal Working and Mining and patron of Crafts.

Other Factors
Demeanor and Alignment: Gruff, honorable and fierce. Will never forget a friend or enemy. They are a well ordered and militaristic society. The typical dwarf will not stand by while any innocent is harmed, threatened or offended. Lawful Good.
Prejudices: After centuries of warfare dwarves have come to dispise orcs, trolls and western kobolds. They have cordal relations with the elves and ogres. They are on good terms with their gnomesh cousins and goblin trading partners.
Languages: Dwarven (German) and Goblin (English). High Elven (Irish), Gray Elven (Welsh) or Wood Elven (Gealic) as a bonus language.
Political System: Monarchy.
Classes: Berserkers, fighters and paladins serve as elite commanders and warriors among dwavren kind. In fact paladin-berserkers are highly regarded within dwarven society. Other classes are rarer, but still exist.
Suitable Starting Classes: Wizard, cleric, fighter, berserker (see below), paladin and ranger from Core. Artificer from the Eberron setting and archivist from Heroes of Horror.
Favored Class: Berserker. As barbarian but with out Trap Sense, Illiteracy, Fast Movment and Tireless Rage. In return berserkers are trained to use heavy armor and they can also be Lawful.
Favored Schools: Enchantment, Transmutation and Necromancy. Dwarven necromancers are second only to priests in religious importance.

Duke Malagigi
2007-09-06, 01:25 PM
Gnomes

Physical Character

Build: ?
Coloring: ?
Endurance: ?
Height: ?
Lifespan: Same as dwarves.
Resistance: Gnomes benefit from a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions.
Special Abilities: A +2 to Constitution, –2 to Strength, +2 Intelligence and a -2 to Wisdom. Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by gnomes. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects. Gnomes also gain a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids. This is in addition to a +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Low-Light Vision: A gnome can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions. Gnome also recieve a +2 racial bonus on Listen checks and on Craft (alchemy) checks.

Culture

Clothing and Decoration: ?
Fears and Inabilities: ?
Marriage Pattern: ?
Religion: ?

Other Factors

Demeanor and Alignment:
Prejudices:
Languages:
Political System: Constitutional republic.
Classes:
Suitable Starting Classes:
Favored Class: Wizard
Favored Schools: Illusion and Transmutation.

Duke Malagigi
2007-09-06, 01:34 PM
Gnolls

Physical Character

Lifespan: ?
Resistance: ?
Special Abilities: ?

Culture

Other Factors

Demeanor and Alignment:
Prejudices:
Languages:
Political System: Anarchy.
Classes:
Favored Class:
Favored School: Necromancy.

Duke Malagigi
2007-09-06, 01:35 PM
Goblins

Physical Character and Miscellaneous

Type: Fey.
Build: Short and thin, around 50-60 pounds.
Coloring: Grayish pink skin and black hair, which turns white later in life.
Endurance: Impressive. Goblins can stay awake up to 20 hours a day and can travel at a rate of 40 miles per day without rest, provided they maintain a moderate pace.
Height: 3-4 feet in height
Lifespan: See elves
Resistance: See elves.
Special Abilities: +6 to Intelligence, +2 to Wisdom, +4 to Constitution, +2 to Dexterity, -4 to Charisma and a -4 to Strength. Instead of the typical weapons proficiencies goblins gain the ability to cast arcane spells equal to a first level wizard. This grants goblins one wizard level for the purposes of spellcasting. They still require spellbooks like any other wizard. In addition goblins can employ a small number of spell like abilities. These powers are mage hand 2/day, knock and detect magic 4/day and read magic at will. They also are expert gusmiths and shipbuilders, gaining a +4 bonus to Craft (firearms) as well as a +6 to Craft (shipbuilding).

Culture

Clothing and Decoration: Plain, modest, and dark colored. A good source for goblin clothing can be found in that of puritan garments.
Fears and Inabilities: None.
Marriage Pattern: Monogomous. The line is traced through the male.
Religion: Can be thought of as combination of ancient Celtic religion and Calvinism.

Other Factors

Demeanor and Alignment: Dour, serious, fanitcal, grim, and conservative. Distrusting and verbally cruel towards those they consider heretics, outsiders, infidels, or apostates. Note: the vast majority of elves are seen as heretics in the eyes of their goblin cousins. As for alignment, usually Lawful Neutral. However some goblins overcome their own bigotries and become a rather grim Lawful Good.
Prejudices: Many, but those will be adressed later.
Languages: Goblin, Dwarven, and two human.
Political System: Goblin kind is ruled by an elected Parliament and a hereditary Lord Protector.
Classes: Bards are rare but those who do exist are usually Lawful and serve choir directors or composers of Hymns and other religious music. Goblin paladins tend to follow a take no prisoners philosophy when fighting truly evil characters such as murderers, rapists, traitors, crime lords and pedophiles. Archivists function as ministers. Sorcerors and psion viritually non-existant.
Suitable Starting Classes: All core accept barbarian, monk, soul knife, psychic warrior and core druid. Artificer, binder, modified druid (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=13843909#post13843909) and truenamer allowed.
Favored Class: Wizard
Favored Schools: Transmutation and Evocation
Level Adjustment: +2

Duke Malagigi
2007-09-06, 01:37 PM
Hags

Physical Character

Build: Usually hags are thinner than human women of equivilent height. If this is the case they are also much denser and more compact. This means that while they may be thinner, hags are just as heavy as human women of the same height. Those hags who aren't thinner than human women of the same height and weight tend to have horns, claws or vestigial wings.
Coloring: Dull green to dark blue.
Endurance: See elves.
Height: 5 feet 4 inches.
Lifespan: See elves.
Resistance: As elves but with a +4 on saves against poison and spell resistance 18.
Special Abilities: Darkvision 90 ft. Hags also have a +8 racial bonus to Swim checks to avoid hazards or preform special actions.
Spell-Like Abilities: At will—dancing lights, disguise self, ghost sound (DC 12), invisibility, pass without trace, tongues, water breathing. Caster level 9th. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Weakness (Su)
A hag can weaken a foe by making a special touch attack. The opponent must succeed on a DC 16 Fortitude save or take 2d4 points of Strength damage. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Racial Hit Dice: Hags begain with nine levels of monstrous humanoid, which provides 9d8 hit points.
Racial Skills: A hag’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 12 x(2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its racial skills are Concentration, Craft or Knowledge (any one), Hide, Listen, Spot and Swim.
Level Adjustment: +6

Culture

Clothing and Decoration: Usually dark and concealing robes and cloaks.
Fears and Inabilities: None.
Marriage Pattern: None. I'll explain later.
Religion: Usually none. Hags are typically uninterested in spirituallity in any form. They simply find it unnessicary. Otherwise they tend to worship Nether Fiends such as Anthraxus.

Other Factors

Demeanor and Alignment: Hags are most often ruthless and cruel, seeing every one and every thing around them as only means to an end. They are neither anarchic nor authoritarian. Usually Neutral Evil.
Prejudices: None. Hags despise, torment and mock all others equally.
Languages:
Political System: A lose confederation of hag coveys. Leadership is determined by personal power and cunning.
Classes: Any that could suit a particular hag's interest.
Suitable Starting Classes: Archivist, wizard, sorcerer, bard, binder, psion, wilder, warlock or truenamer.
Favored Class: Sorcerer
Favored Schools: Necromancy and Illusion.

Duke Malagigi
2007-09-06, 01:38 PM
Halflings

Physical Character

Culture

Other Factors

Demeanor and Alignment:
Prejudices:
Languages:
Political System:
Classes:
Favored Class:
Favored Schools: None.

Duke Malagigi
2007-09-06, 01:39 PM
High Elves

High elves also known as the daith áes or bright folk as they call themselves, are the preeminent scholars in both religious and secular affairs among the fey aside from the goblins. They are also known to be artisans and crafters for the other non-goblin fairy races whom the high elves mildly deride for their lack of technical skill or interest. High elves place a strong emphasis on individual freedom. Because of this, any form of magical mind control, such as dominate person, is considered a grave evil and punished harshly under high elven law, frequently resulting in death. Their capitol is the city of Airgidcoill which boasts a population around 700,000 of whom 60% are high elven.

Physical Character
Build: High elves are lighter of frame and build than most humans of similar height. This goes from 131 lbs. at the lightest to 153 at the heaviest.
Coloring: Pale skinned to ruddy complexioned typically with pale blue, bright green or gray eyes. Hair coloring varies.
Endurance: High elves can walk long distances for extended periods of time without rest. When they do rest, they only require three hours per day.
Height: 6'3" to 6'9". On some occasions even 7 feet tall.
Lifespan: Unknown, seemingly indefinite.
Resistances: +10 to saving throws against all natural diseases and +4 to saving throws against poison. This replaces immunity to sleep.
Special Abilities: +4 to Intelligence, +2 to Wisdom, +2 to Constitution, +2 to Dexterity and a -2 to Strength. On average high elves are more intelligent, wiser, healthier and more nimble than humans. At the same time elves have less muscular strength than humans do. In spite of their great physical beauty by human standards, elves are neither better nor worse at influencing others than humans are. Instead of the typical weapons proficiencies high elves gain the ability to cast arcane spells equal to a first level wizard. This grants elves one wizard level for the purposes of spellcasting. They still require spellbooks like any other wizard. They also are expert artists, artisans, and shipbuilders, gaining a +4 bonus to Craft (visual arts; any), as well as a +2 to Craft (pottery, woodwork, metalworking and shipbuilding).

Culture
Clothing and Decoration: Typically high elves prefer well made and by human standards, elabrate but lightweight and breathable clothing. Elven clothing varies in form and function. This ranges from simple (by elf standards) knee length smocks and trousers with robe like overcoats for men (think of the Eighth Doctor for reference) and knee to mid calf-length dresses with robe like overcoats for women to more formal and elaborate business and religious attire.
General Fears and Inabilities: None.
Marriage Pattern: Monogamous. Political marriages and other marriages of convenience do not exist within mainstream elven society. Such things are considered abominations.
Religion: Monotheistic, Celtic in nature and somewhat informal. Priests serve as teachers, moral guides, Chancellors, and also serve an important ministerial role. Members of the clergy are not required to be celibate and the priesthood is open to both men and women. Within the elven religion priests do not receive payment for their sacerdotal role, but instead must have an external source of income. Religious costumes for both sexes are light-green close fitting robes in the style of a Roman Catholic or Anglican cassock, tailored for the body of the wearer. Another feature of elven priestly costuming is the hooded cloak they always wear, whose coloring reflects the stature of the particular elf in relation to their priesthood. The coloring goes from light green all the way to silver and finally white. The priest or priestess must buy their own religious garments if he or she has the funds. All previously mentioned religious information on the elves also applies to the orgrish race.

Other Factors
Demeanor and Alignment: High elves are typically thoughtful and inquisitive. Because or the love of their own freedoms and willingness to defend the freedoms of others they tend to be Chaotic Good.
Prejudices: High elves view orcs, cave kobolds (standard LE kobolds), and the mist elves (this world's dark elves) in the same light we would view Nazis or Stalinists. Trolls and gnolls are seen as vicious marauders and hags are considered blights upon nature. However this extends to the predominate culture not to individuals. An orc, troll, mist elf or a member of any other race mentioned above can be accepted. Elves of any sort who are in league with troll, orc, hag or similar societies are considered enemies. Good elves of all sorts get along best with ogres seeing them as kindred spirits, albeit, somewhat crude and lumbering ones.
Languages: Elven (Irish) and Orgrish (Gaelic).
Bonus Languages: Goblin (English) and Dwarven (German).
Political System: Constitutional Republic
Classes: Elven druids (modified Archivists) serve as priests and legal aid, while wizards are the scientists of elven-kind. Bards act as chroniclers of ancient wisdom in addition to their role as entertainers. Rangers, scouts, consecrated knights, marshals and barbarians commonly act as military leaders of elven-kind.
Suitable Starting Classes: Modified druid, fighter, marshal, consecrated knight, bard (arcane and divine bard), barbarian, rouge, scout, ranger, psion, any primary arcane caster and erudite.
Favored Class: Druid (modified) or Wizard. Preferably Necromancer, Conjueror or Abjurer if a wizard.
Favored Schools: Necromancy, Conjuration and Abjuration.
Level Adjustment: +4

Duke Malagigi
2007-09-06, 01:40 PM
Hobgoblins

Physical Character

Culture

Other Factors

Demeanor and Alignment:
Prejudices:
Languages:
Classes:
Favored Class:
Favored Schools: Abjuration.

Duke Malagigi
2007-09-06, 01:42 PM
Kobolds (1)

Physical Character

Build: Small and scrawny, with a combination of lizard and dog qualities in a humanoid form.
Coloring: Medium tan with short fur covering their scales.
Endurance: Weak. They are easily tired and require at least ten hours of rest every 24-hours.
Height: 2 to 21/2 feet.
Lifespan: 40-60 years
Resistance: None.
Special Abilities: Kobolds recieve a –4 to Strength, +2 to Dexterity and –2 to Constitution. Being a physically weak and frail species with no natural defenses including greater magical or mental advantages Kobolds must improvise. This means that kobolds are forced to use their nimble fingers and develop expert trapmaking skills to expand and maintain their empire. They are also expert miners and very suspicious. Kobolds recieve a +2 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking), Profession (miner), and Search checks. Due to their Small size kobolds gain a +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, –4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters. A kobold’s base land speed is 30 feet. Because of their subterraining lives, kobolds have darkvision out to 60 feet. They also possess a +1 natural armor bonus.

Culture

Other Factors

Demeanor and Alignment: Usually Lawful Evil.
Prejudices: Kobolds have an intense hatred of both gnomes and goblins. They're just more willing to trade with and try to cheat goblins instead of killing them.
Languages: Dwarf and Goblin.
Classes:
Suitable Starting Classes: Rogue, fighter, scout, wizard, sorcerer, cleric, binder, warlock and marshal.
Favored Class: Rogue
Favored Schools: Enchantment and Evocation.

Duke Malagigi
2007-09-06, 01:43 PM
Kobolds (2)

Physical Character

Culture

Other Factors

Demeanor and Alignment: Lawful Good.
Prejudices:
Languages:
Classes:
Favored Class:
Favored Schools: Conjuration and Divination.

Duke Malagigi
2007-09-06, 01:44 PM
Ogres

Physical Character

Build: Large, muscular and blubbery, weighing 600 to 650 pounds.
Coloring: In the green-blue-yelow family of colors. Any hair color, but males are typically bald.
Endurance: Average.
Height: 7 to 8 feet tall.
Lifespan: See elves.
Resistance: See elves and a +2 to Fortitude Saving Throws against scent based spells such as stinking cloud or cloudkill.
Special Abilities: Ogres recieve +10 Strength, –2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, maximum starting Intelligence of 16, –4 Charisma. They also possess darkvision out to 60 feet. An ogre's blubbery flesh grants him or her a +3 natural armor bonus. They also gain the following spell-like abilities; At will—mending, magic weapon; 1/day— keen edge, stone shape. Caster level 4th. They each require a 4 round action to use.
Racial Hit Dice: An ogre begins with four levels of giant, which provide 4d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +4, Ref +1, and Will +1.
Racial Skills: An ogre’s giant levels give it skill points equal to 7 x (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Climb, Listen, Craft (any), and Spot.

Culture

Clothing and Decoration: Their clothing consists of linen shirts and pants with properly cured leather vests and shoes. In cooler climes they also wool trimmed buckskin coats. Females dress the same except instead of linen shirts, they wear dresses that go down half way between the knees and the ankles. However they prefer fine silk if it could be had.
Fears and Inabilities: The greatest fear among ogre kind is not physical death. Instead they are lonelyness and attatchment to others, this is true even ogre society.
Marriage Pattern: Monogamous. Political marriages and other marriages of convenience do not exist within mainstream ogre society.
Religion: See elves.

Other Factors

Demeanor and Alignment: Ogres are typically good-natured and peaceful, but are willing to kill to defend themselves, their friends and family or those under their care. Ogres also dislike heavy handed leaders and call most bureaucrats and other goverment officials "self important busybodies." They tand to have a strong isolationist streak. Usually Chaotic Good.
Prejudices: There are only four races ogres get along with as a whole, elves whom they love like brothers, dwarves who are their favorite drinking buddies, gnomes are their favorite inventors and mild kooks (as well as walking disaster areas) and halflings whom they frequently patronize. Orcs and other typically evil races are treated with suspicion and extreme caution.
Languages: Ogrish (Gaelic) and High Elven
Classes: I'll fill this out later.
Suitable Starting Classes: Fighter, barbarian, martial artist, brawler, ranger, consecrated knight, druid (modifed archivist), any arcanist and any bard variant.
Favored Class: Fighter, martial artist (http://dicefreaks.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8396) (thanks to Witch) or brawler (http://dicefreaks.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3724) (thanks to WarDragon).
Favored Schools: Necromancy and Transmutation.
Level Adjustment: +3

Duke Malagigi
2007-09-06, 01:45 PM
Orcs

It can be said that the mind of an orc can be compared at times to both a corkscrew and a shattered mirror. Both can be brilliant, sharp, and dazzling, but also fundamentally and irrevocably broken. Almost all aspects of life in orcish society, including arcane magic and religion, are directed towards war and the general power of state. Cruelty and brutality in the service of the state or group are seen virtues to be upheld and embodied. Of all of the atrocities and war crimes commited by the orcs, none of them were for the pleasure or enjoyment of that orc. Those actions were and are intended as a form intimidation and terror. Besides, as many orcish generals proclaim to their troops, striking fear into the hearts of your enemies means that you have already won half the battle.

At the same time orcs are well known, and in fact infamous for their diplomats. While this may seem strange to many to orcs this makes perfect sense. To them diplomacy is merely war

Physical Character

Build: Orcs are the same weight as humans of similar size but are slightly more muscular in build.
Coloring: Pale grey to corpse white.
Height: 6'-6'6" feet when standing fully erect. Orcs tend to stoop a bit.
Lifespan: Indefinate, but orcs rarely live past the age of 120.

Culture

Other Factors

Demeanor and Alignment: Orcs are typically cruel, brutal and millitaristic. Usually Lawful Evil.
Prejudices:
Languages:
Classes:
Favored Class: Marshal or fighter.
Favored Schools: Conjuration and Enchantment.

Duke Malagigi
2007-09-06, 01:47 PM
Trolls

Physical Character

Build: Large and bulky with hides like rhino skin. Broad-shouldered with thick extremities and clawed hands. They also have flattened noses and wide jaws.
Coloring: Earth tones. Often times granite colored.
Endurance: Average
Height: 7-8 feet in height, if standing up straight. Trolls tend to slouch.
Lifespan: Typically 90-185 years. In some cases 230 years.
Resistance: Trolls are more stout of heart than most other races. Out of this trolls gain a +4 to saving throws against fear effects. Trolls skin grants a +5 to natural armor and a damage reduction of 2/bludegoning. This replaces regeneration.
Special Abilities: Dark vision to 60 feet and low-light vision. Trolls can also claw for 1d6 points of damage, bite for 1d6 points of damage and rend for 2d6 points of damage.
Racial Hit Dice: A troll begins with six levels of giant, which provide 6d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +4, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +5, Ref +2, and Will +2.
Racial Skills: A troll’s giant levels give it skill points equal to 9 x(2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Listen and Spot.
Level Adjustment: +4

Culture

Clothing and Decoration: Bits and pieces of clothing and armor they find.
Fears and Inabilities: Daylight.
Marriage Pattern: None.
Religion: Trolls tend to worship demon lords and princes of physical strength. Those of non-evil alignment tend to worship Metallkoinig.

Other Factors

Demeanor and Alignment: Trolls are typically violent, brutish, stupid and care nothing for society or civlization. Usually Chaotic Evil.
Prejudices: Trolls typically have a strong hatred for all others races and will kill trolls from other clans on sight.
Languages: A bastardized version of dwarven.
Classes: Spellcasters are rarer among troll kind than other races, with the sole exception of halflings. Those few spellcasters among troll kind serve mostly as shamans (read as druids). Barbarians are most common.
Suitable Starting Classes: Barbarian, druid (without alignment restrictions and renamed shaman), fighter, ranger, cleric, sorceror and bard from core. Warlock and binder from Tome of Magic
Favored Class: Barbarian.
Favored Schools: None.

MythMage
2007-09-09, 02:27 AM
Just some general advice:

Personally, I find that if you're not bursting with conceptual ideas for the world as a whole, you're just going to make tedious, difficult work for yourself by taking a top-down approach like this. If you don't have ideas, why are you bothering to make a world at all?

I think this is the best way to approach things when you're stuck. Why do you want to want to make a world? What is motivating/inspiring you? What do you find lacking in other settings (as in, what are you 'fixing' or focusing on)? What do you find wrong about other settings that you finally have the chance to do right here? What sets your world apart? The answers to these questions should help you decide what direction to look for your next idea. For instance, I define my world by its link to Faerie. Thus, when I need an excuse to include a weak but interesting ruler in a nation where he shouldn't be able to retain his throne, I'll look to the fey. Perhaps he has the favor of a powerful but aloof fey lady who is otherwise uninvolved in the world because she stays in Faerie.

Work where and when you feel like rather than trying to fulfill some master scheme in just the right manner right now. We don't need to know about all the capitals and all of the nations of the world in order to use the setting. If you don't have ideas about those orcs, then just ignore them for the time being. You can always come back later when an idea strikes. Just don't set adventures near where orcs are found and you'll be fine. What really matters is locales where one can adventure.

If you're having creative difficulties, and aren't able to come up with any ideas when you want to work on the setting, take a break from it. Perhaps read up on potential source material (fairy tales, anthropology, history, anything) or watch a movie. It won't do you any good to just stare at it, and forcing yourself to make material when you're not ready may just result in boring or half-baked material. ;)

If you are dead-set on doing something constructive with your setting despite a lack of inspiration, then I recommend working on only the things you need to run a single adventure there, then expand from that point (as the whole point of a setting is to adventure there). Pick the nation you have the most ideas about, and describe a single area within it that would be a good adventure site.

Duke Malagigi
2007-09-20, 12:16 AM
I've taken some of your advice MythMage. I'll simply take my time, look for some inspirations for this setting and do things in order of greatest interest.

Duke Malagigi
2007-09-30, 01:31 AM
I've already started on the western kobolds and I may finish them tomorrow. The operative word is may.

FoeHammer
2007-10-10, 04:24 PM
Try to establish general racial relations to all the other races instead of only a few. Tone down the number of dominant speices. Layout a basic map of the world, just to work out where there may be border tensions, tradeable rescources, etc. Add Crunch (mechanical info). Remember this isn't going to be the setting of a book (or will it) it's going to be a game world, viewed by players from the inside, so try to work from their level up. Establish some groups that span race (both good and evil). Take a little bit of leeway with the Historical info. It's fantasy so feel free to create some original stuff.

Duke Malagigi
2007-10-10, 09:48 PM
Thank you, but I'm not very good at organizing my thoughts and ideas. That's why I need help. I also need help coming up with names for groups and societies. Maybe if I post some basic information you can help me better organize it.

Duke Malagigi
2007-10-18, 09:34 PM
One basic premise behind this world is that wizardry is a form of technology and that this world's races have varrying levels of general scientific knowledge. The races with the highest levels of scientific knowledge include goblins, elves, hags, hobgoblins and orcs. The second tier is made up of the dwarves and gnomes.

osyluth
2007-10-18, 10:29 PM
wizardry replacing technology really destroys a lot of the medieval feel and the idea is overused.

Duke Malagigi
2007-10-18, 11:27 PM
wizardry replacing technology really destroys a lot of the medieval feel and the idea is overused.

What makes you think I'm going for a midieval feel in the first place? Not every D&D campaign world has to be a psudo-medieval, intellectually backward in which basic science is not only non-existant but can't develop. Also note, wizardry comes from scientific knowledge and advancement, not all magic. Sorcery is inborn (and inbred in the case of white dragons) and divine magic is well, divine and therefore not technology.

Duke Malagigi
2007-10-19, 08:38 PM
The main uses for wizardry differ based on culture. Take for example necromancy and then transmutation. Among the elves necromancy is used mostly for curing poison and disease, healing wounds, treating genetics disorders and genetically modifying plants and animals. Dwarves practice necromancy in the classical sense of the word, corpse divination and speaking with the dead. Frequently dwarven necromancers ask for aid from the souls of their departed ancestors. This places them second only to priests in religious importance. At the same time orcs, who are known as masters of torture and suffering, prefer to use black or deathly necromancy. Gnollish necromancers most often turn to the bloodier aspects of necromancy in many cases to drain the very lifeblood of their victims. Ogrish necromancy is focused mainly on preserving and pickeling beef and sheep as well as fermenting honey for mead or malted barley for malt whisky.

Transmutation is mostly used buy the dwarves in construction and engineering as well as mining. Both gnomes and goblins use transmution in the making of magical and mundane tools, but gnomes are also likely to use the school of magic in their jokes and tricks. Such magic is also frequently used by kobold wizards to permanently toughen and strengthen their traps.

Duke Malagigi
2007-10-21, 09:13 PM
Any other ideas or comments? Maybe we can work together in collaborative project.