PDA

View Full Version : Getting the most out of bonus actions and reactions

Vulsutyr
2017-05-31, 11:39 AM
Hi Guys.

I am dming for several new players with low level characters. I need to know the best things to do that use bonus actions and reactions every turn. For all classes, but primarily low level spellcasters such as clerics and wizards. I feel like we are missing some things, since most players never use more than their regular action in each round.

Hypersmith
2017-05-31, 03:19 PM
Casters usually hang on to something like shield. Thing is casters often don't use more than their action, because otherwise they're doing too much. Sorceress will use quicken when they can. Letting other casters make bonus actions into actions detracts from their strengths.

solidork
2017-05-31, 04:15 PM
It is perfectly ordinary to only sometimes have a use for your bonus action, especially for spellcasters. Our party has a level 11 Abjuration Wizard and I don't think he has any bonus action abilities, and that is totally ok.

When evaluating game mechanics, anything that lets you reliably and fruitfully use your bonus action should be something you pay attention to since it could be pretty powerful.

CaptainSarathai
2017-05-31, 04:34 PM
Getting consistent, reliable uses of your Bonus and especially Reaction, is actually part of character optimization. Most characters don't use more than their standard Action most of the time. Heavy use of additional actions (again, especially Reaction) also slows the game down, so be careful.

Bonus Action Mechanics:
Dual Wielding - you can attack with your offhand as a bonus action when wielding two Light weapons.

Bonus Feats:
Crossbow Expert - shoot a hand crossbow when you hit with your main hand attack
Polearm Master - attack with the "butt" of a polearm

Reaction Feats:
Sentinel - more triggers for attacks
Polearm Master - OA when targets enter reach
Defensive Duellist - increase AC when hit with an attack
Warcaster - doesn't grant Reaction, but let's you cast a spell as an OA. A good take for melee "close fire-support" casters.

These are things that are widely available. There are other abilities which are class or spell specific, and use your Bonus or Reaction.

Corran
2017-05-31, 06:26 PM
Cleric lvl 3+ : spiritual weapon (spell).

wilhelmdubdub
2017-06-01, 01:33 AM
Also mage slayer: when a creature within 5ft casts a spell, you can use your reaction to make a melee attack

Sirdar
2017-06-01, 01:38 AM
Also mage slayer: when a creature within 5ft casts a spell, you can use your reaction to make a melee attack

...against that creature.