PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy dog equivalents

mgshamster
2017-05-31, 12:32 PM
There are a lot of equivalents to mounts in D&D: giant lizards and dwarves, giant eagles and elves, dogs and halflings, wargs and orcs, etc...

But what about companion animals?

The 'boy and his dog' is such a cliche that I'm surprised it doesn't come up much in D&D. What animals do little dwarven children beg their parents to have? What to gnomes or halflings wander the countryside with? Where are the faithful hound equivalents for the elves? What faithful animal does a dragonborn curl up with to stave off the cold in winter?

I feel like dogs and humans is such an important part of our culture that d&d has missed something special by not including an equivalent for the other fantasy races.

Have you added something like this to your games? What is out there that can fill this role for various races?

Lolzyking
2017-05-31, 12:46 PM
Guard drakes

GPS
2017-05-31, 12:46 PM
Mastifs are dogs, right?

Khrysaes
2017-05-31, 12:50 PM
Guard drakes

I was going to say this.

Hell Hounds

Aett_Thorn
2017-05-31, 12:51 PM
The Elves have Cooshee, which is their own breed of dog.

Halfling and Gnomes can ride Mastiffs, so probably have them available as pets as well. Halflings would probably also have breeds focused on herding and guard duty. So you might see things like border collies.

Gnomes would likely have burrowing animals or other small mammals as pets, especially Forest Gnomes. I doubt that Deep Gnomes would have any pets at all.

Maybe Dragonborn would keep pet lizards?

nickl_2000
2017-05-31, 12:54 PM
Have you considered a Miniature Giant Space Hamster?

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-31, 12:59 PM
If you don't mind a throwback, I always thought that Shocker Lizards were very cute. I guess if one wanted to play with fire, attempting to tame a Minor Flame Snake is also an option.

I could see a gnome with a crow or magpie, honestly. I believe they can be domesticated (well, in that they'll come when called if they believe you have food) and can make decent pets, through they are illegal in the United States so I don't have much of a frame of reference.

JackPhoenix
2017-05-31, 12:59 PM
Dwarves? Something that fares well in mountainous terrain and inside... dog? If they care about animals at all... their native enviroment isn't well suited for that. If it's supposed to be a pet anything small may serve... rodents?. For more practical uses, again, dogs are good helpers, not only pets. Cats too, to take care of the vermin. Watch out for catsplosions, though. Keep the females caged, so you can control their reproduction, and deal with excess kittens before they can adopt the dwarves to avoid tantrum spirals from butchering them.
Gnomes and halflings... well, halflings already have dogs, for gnomes... wiener dog to fit with burrowing animals? Forest gnomes may have badgers for practical purposes, and small burrowing mammals as pets... again, some kind of rodents, propably. Rock gnomes propably don't care about animals, perhaps they have clockwork pets.
Elves... there's coshee, which is a magical, green-furred, intelligent animal also known as elven dog. Perhaps some kind of large cat... lynx could have practical uses, propably also birds, either songbirds as pets, or birds of prey for hunt.
Dragonborn: aren't they just mutated humans anyway? Meh, screw that race... if they want something draconic, let them tame a kobold, or something. Or just go with a dog.

Really, dogs win in most situations because different breeds can be incredibly versatile, they are loyal to their masters, and they have practical uses. Not many other animals fit that role. Cats, perhaps.

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-31, 01:04 PM
Actually, ferrets and badgers make sense for dwarves to me. I assume in the tunnels that rats would be a problem, and ferrets make good ratters. Badgers just dig very well and I believe that European varieties can be tamed. I also like the idea of a surly dwarf with a craggy face gently combing a skunk until her fur shines and making sure her bow doesn't get knocked off when she sprays people he doesn't like.

Also, I just find the image of a drunk dwarf participating in the ancient sport of Ferret-Legging really amusing.

Through what about wild cats? I think cheetahs have a history of being domesticated. I have heard of someone having a pet margay, through it had an unfortunate habit of peeing on people his owner didn't like.

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag202/temminkii/PZO9249-WinterWitch_zpsgepmsjzd.jpg Yes, I know that is more likely an stoat, but still, very close.

mgshamster
2017-05-31, 01:06 PM
I always thought halflings would have domesticated foxes.

I love the idea of drakes bring domesticated. Especially by the dragonborn.

Despite my namesake, I completely forgot about the rich history of various giant hamster breeds with the gnomes!

Dwarves domesticating badgers just sounds awesome and fits really well. I feel like ferrets would be the dwarves equivalent of a cat, though; not a dog.

Elves apparently already have the Cooshee, or perhaps have domesticated large cats.

Hellhounds would make for a great pup to follow around a Tiefling or half orc.

Great ideas, folks! Keep em coming!

Lombra
2017-05-31, 01:18 PM
Behirs. I always wanted a behir.

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-31, 01:20 PM
Dwarves domesticating badgers just sounds awesome and fits really well. I feel like ferrets would be the dwarves equivalent of a cat, though; not a dog.

Depends. Ferrets have less variety then a dog, but they were often used for hunting, hence the term 'ferreting'. They do make good ratters and will scare off certain wildlife.

I think fey need to have kelpies as pets. Maybe a fey decides to enter one into a horse race as a plot.

lunaticfringe
2017-05-31, 01:25 PM
Giant Rabbits, Hares, Jackalopes
Giant Otters
Monkeys or lemurs
Owls
Buzzards
Tiny dinosaurs/bipedal reptiles
Flying Snakes
Pigs
Goats/Rams

Do the Aurochs suggestion: Take beast, add trait from X monster

mgshamster
2017-05-31, 01:28 PM
Depends. Ferrets have less variety then a dog, but they were often used for hunting, hence the term 'ferreting'. They do make good ratters and will scare off certain wildlife.

I think fey need to have kelpies as pets. Maybe a fey decides to enter one into a horse race as a plot.

Fair. Also note that we're talking about fantasy animals being domesticated and bred. So we can make some assumptions such as a ferret being bred to be larger and more companionable for the dwarves as to make a good pet and hunting companion.

I imagine a good dog-equivalent would need to have several traits: loyal to owner, fun & loving so a child would want one to play with, capable of learning tricks, does not fear leaving home environment or being preyed upon, and able to move at least as fast as the owner.

Some animals I originally thought of wouldn't work well for failing to have some or the above traits. I think any earth animal we come up with would at least have to potentially have those traits (ie have the traits bred in). Fantasy creatures like the drakes would be excellent, because we can always design them to have the necessary traits.

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-31, 01:41 PM
Fair. Also note that we're talking about fantasy animals being domesticated and bred. So we can make some assumptions such as a ferret being bred to be larger and more companionable for the dwarves as to make a good pet and hunting companion.

Ferrets are already quite companionable, so I don't really think that is an issue, unless you mean traits more suited to hunting.

I imagine a good dog-equivalent would need to have several traits: loyal to owner, fun & loving so a child would want one to play with, capable of learning tricks, does not fear leaving home environment or being preyed upon, and able to move at least as fast as the owner.

Actually...I think that last one needs to be reconsidered. Humans (and probably by extension, many humanoid fantasy races due to a similar walking speed and not needing to be dragged around) are endurance predators. We don't out run prey, we just follow it until it falls over from exhaustion.

Ferrets and hawks would probably fail this criteria, despite a long history of being used for hunting. Not all hunting is of large prey, as rabbits, snakes, and small birds are all good eating and presumably plentiful during certain times of the year. Maybe it wouldn't be a dog-equivalent, but it would be a category of animals used for hunting that would be ignored due to size and running habits.

A larger ferret wouldn't actually work a well, since they go after rabbits and rats and need that small size to be effective ratters. I do think that having adult dwarves attempt to tame wolvervines (we named him Mister Bitur! Look at 'im go!) for battle and hunting would be quite amusing. Sure you wouldn't have the thing near a child, but you also wouldn't put a hawk, or horse anywhere near a toddler either.

Through if you want a dog-like hawk, you should look up the Harris Hawk, which I think is the only social bird of prey used for falconry. They're quite friendly compared to many other species, which admittedly is not a terribly high bar.

Lombra
2017-05-31, 01:46 PM
Plant-monsters should be pets for someone.

scalyfreak
2017-05-31, 01:51 PM
Halfling and Gnomes can ride Mastiffs, so probably have them available as pets as well. Halflings would probably also have breeds focused on herding and guard duty. So you might see things like border collies.

A long time ago I played in a campaign where the halfling had a mastiff pet. It was trained to carry her, of course, and to wear saddlebags for carrying loads too heavy for the halfling. It was an awesome dog, NPCed by the halfling's player and bsed on his own dog's personality. It kept watch when we camped at night, and once caused a huge problem for us by bolting down the street in the middle of a large countyfair, chasing after a chicken.

Mastiffs don't bounce off things like vendors stalls and tables... they knock them over.

2D8HP
2017-05-31, 01:55 PM
badgers

badgers

badgers

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PzVOvo0p1eU/VP0mmQX4iXI/AAAAAAAAPUQ/j5TReKvzTY8/s280/badgers.jpg

How about bunnies instead?

mgshamster
2017-05-31, 02:03 PM
Sure you wouldn't have the thing near a child, but you also wouldn't put a hawk, or horse anywhere near a toddler either.

Good points all around, but I wanted to highlight this.

What makes a dog so great isn't that it can hunt or guard or anything. Dogs are great because they're good around kids and make for a long term best friend. *That* is what I'm looking for in a D&D dog equivalent - something that as a culture they would domesticated and then give to an 8 year old to grow up with.

If the animal can't be trusted around children, it wouldn't make for a good dog-equivalent.

Also, since this has come up several times (not by you, but by others) - we're specifically *not* looking at mounts. If the animal is going to be used as a mount, it wouldn't be a dog equivalent. Dogs aren't mounts in human society. Therefore, a mastiff wouldn't make for a dog-equivalent for a halfling. For one, it's an actual dog, and for two, it's a mount.

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-31, 02:49 PM
How about bunnies instead?

Rabbits, depending on the individual rabbit, can be awful pets for children due to strong prey instincts, being delicate and wanting to get into EVERYTHING.

And mghamster, that is a good point. I've seen the 'Boy and his X' trope applied to young adult characters, so I guess I got sidetracked. Through given how fantasy tropes treat animals, what if there were magical variants of animals that tamed easily? In much of fantasy anything cute n' cuddly basically becomes a dog, and I could see mages running around magically altering animals to be dog-like for wealth and giggles.

Also, anyone know how easy it is to tame a capybara? I assume most rodents are not applicable due to vermin problems but those seem a little too big to become vermin.

scalyfreak
2017-05-31, 02:55 PM
Dogs aren't mounts in human society. Therefore, a mastiff wouldn't make for a dog-equivalent for a halfling. For one, it's an actual dog, and for two, it's a mount.

No, but a surprisingly large number of them are working animals. Being a pet/companion animal does not automatically exclude working at a task that makes the pet owner's life easier.

That said, for animals kept as companions as nothing else... kittens might fit the bill. Birds as well, not just parrots and parakeets, but also ravens and crows.

lunaticfringe
2017-05-31, 03:23 PM
Rabbits, depending on the individual rabbit, can be awful pets for children due to strong prey instincts, being delicate and wanting to get into EVERYTHING.

And mghamster, that is a good point. I've seen the 'Boy and his X' trope applied to young adult characters, so I guess I got sidetracked. Through given how fantasy tropes treat animals, what if there were magical variants of animals that tamed easily? In much of fantasy anything cute n' cuddly basically becomes a dog, and I could see mages running around magically altering animals to be dog-like for wealth and giggles.

Also, anyone know how easy it is to tame a capybara? I assume most rodents are not applicable due to vermin problems but those seem a little too big to become vermin.

Many species of domestic rabbit can be trained like a dog to respond to commands and use a litter box like a cat. Depends on the breed. You're gonna have that problem with most non Cat & Dog type pets though the truth is Humans didn't domesticate most animals because it's a terrible idea. Like Fox, they have a breeding season and go ape **** during it (like most deer) and tear up everything in your house & rifle through cabinets.

2D8HP
2017-05-31, 03:35 PM
...Humans didn't domesticate most animals because it's a terrible idea. Like Fox, they have a breeding season and go ape **** during it (like most deer) and tear up everything in your house & rifle through cabinets.

Like teenagers?

mgshamster
2017-05-31, 04:12 PM

I've heard of people having capybara as pets, and I've had rats as pets. Some rats can even be trained to do small tricks, like chase a ball (but they won't bring it back).

I really like the idea of magically altered animals to act more dog-like so they can become a good companion.

mgshamster
2017-05-31, 04:23 PM
No, but a surprisingly large number of them are working animals. Being a pet/companion animal does not automatically exclude working at a task that makes the pet owner's life easier.

That said, for animals kept as companions as nothing else... kittens might fit the bill. Birds as well, not just parrots and parakeets, but also ravens and crows.

I didn't say they couldn't also be a work animal. I specifically stated, from the opening post, that they can't be a *mount.*

Kittens don't work because they don't follow an owner around unerringly, nor do they follow many commands. I've owned many cats, and while all my cats are trained to come to me on command, they don't generally follow orders like a dog. Dog-like is the key here.

A magically altered one would work, but cats weren't bred to be family oriented like dogs were. So a standard earth-like cat wouldn't​ work for a "boy and his x" of a different race, but a magically altered one could work. I could especially see elves doing that for cats.

Remember, the key for this exercise is to find d&d critters that could be used by another race as a classic "a boy and his dog" type scenario, where an animal that has strong cultural relations grows up with a child and becomes a faithful companion that follows him around everywhere and helps him out. Think of a Lassie equivalent for a dwarf or a dragonborn or a Tiefling.

2D8HP
2017-05-31, 04:25 PM
More seriously (for a change) I can imagine Forests Gnomes befriending squirrels, and otters.

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-31, 04:29 PM
More seriously (for a change) I can imagine Forests Gnomes befriending squirrels, and otters.

This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ_Krei6EKw) proves why the idea of befriending otters is both a wonderful and a horrible idea. Through I could see jungle gnomes trying to tame Giant River Otters (who will eat anacondas and are social) for protection.

mgshamster
2017-05-31, 04:40 PM
This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ_Krei6EKw) proves why the idea of befriending otters is both a wonderful and a horrible idea. Through I could see jungle gnomes trying to tame Giant River Otters (who will eat anacondas and are social) for protection.

That's funny. Lesson: treat otters like toddlers - anything within their reach will be taken and destroyed.

2D8HP
2017-05-31, 05:19 PM

My last AD&D DM's ferret attacked me.

Not in the game.

On my boot with my foot in it!

He and his girlfriend yelled at me not to hurt it as I tried to kick the beast off with my other foot!

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-31, 05:23 PM
My last AD&D DM's ferret attacked me.

Not in the game.

On my boot with my foot in it!

He and his girlfriend yelled at me not to hurt it as I tried to kick the beast off with my other foot!

That's probably due to them being horrible pet owners. Many animals can be overly aggressive or not be trained to be more gentle with humans (dogs, cats, ferrets, goat, geese, probably even sugar gliders) if not properly taken care of. Many ferrets are perfectly affectionate, even if they have a tendency to steal anything they take a liking to.

Kane0
2017-05-31, 05:27 PM
So we want predatory critters that are useful, controllable and not too intelligent. Let's see...

Dwarves: Something that thrives underground, could be poisonous and is good at digging, carrying or both. Domesticated Ankhegs?
Gnomes: Something on the smaller side, energetic but difficult to startle. I got nothing.
Halflings: Something small, fits with nomadic lifestyle and is very sociable. Being good at warning communities is a bonus. Mongooses or related?
Elves: Birds (potentially domesticated axebeaks) seem a good choice, but given elves described tendencies anything considered beautiful, low maintenenance and preferably long lived is possible. Practicality might even be secondary, so perhaps something like a zorbo koala. Plants are also a possibility, perhaps a Thorny
Dragonborn: drakes, as mentioned. They're essentially draconic dogs already.

2D8HP
2017-05-31, 05:31 PM
That's probably due to them being horrible pet owners...
...Many ferrets are perfectly affectionate, even if they have a tendency to steal anything they take a liking to.

I had actually encountered a ferret before, that was a cat-like pet before, so the DM"s attack ferret was a shock ("Want to meet our ferret?" he said :smallannoyed:).

After another OOC incident, I didn't play D&D for decades afterwards.

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-31, 05:34 PM
If it makes you feel any better, my parents were looking for a tom cat to make kittens with their cat. They too, were asked if they wanted to meet Scimitar as the owner was putting on thick leather gloves.

They ended up declining the offer.

mgshamster
2017-05-31, 05:39 PM
So we want predatory critters that are useful, controllable and not too intelligent. Let's see...

Dwarves: Something that thrives underground, could be poisonous and is good at digging, carrying or both. Domesticated Ankhegs?
Gnomes: Something on the smaller side, energetic but difficult to startle. I got nothing.
Halflings: Something small, fits with nomadic lifestyle and is very sociable. Being good at warning communities is a bonus. Mongooses or related?
Elves: Birds (potentially domesticated axebeaks) seem a good choice, but given elves described tendencies anything considered beautiful, low maintenenance and preferably long lived is possible. Practicality might even be secondary, so perhaps something like a zorbo koala. Plants are also a possibility, perhaps a Thorny
Dragonborn: drakes, as mentioned. They're essentially draconic dogs already.

Excellent suggestions. Ankheg! Wonderful!

For gnomes, I'm still partial to the idea of modified giant hamsters. There's already precedent for it in D&D lore, and I have the namesake for it. :)

For halflings, I like your mongoose idea. But I also like the idea of domesticated foxes. Just seems so fitting for a halfling.

nickl_2000
2017-05-31, 05:44 PM
Has anyone considered a dire wiener dog? It is 2 feet tall and 12 feet long

lunaticfringe
2017-05-31, 05:53 PM
You could also do coywolves(coyote-wolf hybrids they occur naturally) for halflings they are smarter, more social, and less aggressive then wolves so just drop a wolf to small and adjust for the size change. Or gnomes.

Joe the Rat
2017-06-01, 08:43 AM
badgers

Badgers

badgers

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PzVOvo0p1eU/VP0mmQX4iXI/AAAAAAAAPUQ/j5TReKvzTY8/s280/badgers.jpg

Myconids! Myconids!

I could seriously see something like Stool from OotA or a less virulent thorny as the odd companion of an underground or deep forest dweller. Something that cleans up loose organic matter, and gives off a tranquil or pleasant vibe. Like a housecat/roomba hybrid.

I'm rather taken by the flying snake as an exotic, pointless pet.

Has anyone considered a dire wiener dog? It is 2 feet tall and 12 feet long
One of my joke-that-will-make-it-into-a-game-someday ideas is the Dire Corgi. But that falls back into mount territory.

ZorroGames
2017-06-01, 09:26 AM
Given human history with dogs pulling carts and being pets I created lizard-like equivalents of varying sizes.

Potato_Priest
2017-06-01, 09:37 AM
Although the wild ones are the bane of an adventurer's existence, I can imagine a rust monster being a loyal and trainable companion.

ZorroGames
2017-06-01, 09:52 AM
Although the wild ones are the bane of an adventurer's existence, I can imagine a rust monster being a loyal and trainable companion.

Especially a monk using quarterstaff.

Telonius
2017-06-01, 09:56 AM
Gray Renders need to make an appearance in this thread.

A unique quality of the gray render is its tendency to bond with, protect, and provide for another creature (or group of creatures) native to its surroundings. Whether accepted or not, the render always attempts to remain fairly close, watching over its adopted charge(s) and daily bringing an offering of meat. It never willingly harms adopted creatures and retreats if they attack it.

I could totally see this as being a Gnomish or Halfling pet.

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-01, 12:50 PM
Given human history with dogs pulling carts and being pets I created lizard-like equivalents of varying sizes.

Is there ANYTHING humans haven't tried to have pull a cart?

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag202/temminkii/d8c30f264f6ad5c0d7ad6e8fb523a57b%201_zpsqynti8il.j pg

ZorroGames
2017-06-19, 03:19 PM

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag202/temminkii/d8c30f264f6ad5c0d7ad6e8fb523a57b%201_zpsqynti8il.j pg

Probably not.

Llamas even, though not really a good idea for a pet with lots of social modifications (based on one and only personal experience.)

ZorroGames
2017-06-19, 03:21 PM

Turtles? Not even Galapagos Island ones...

JackPhoenix
2017-06-19, 03:56 PM
Turtles? Not even Galapagos Island ones...

Everything....
http://petdiys.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/DIY-Turtle-Cart.jpg

ZorroGames
2017-06-23, 01:35 PM
Everything....
http://petdiys.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/DIY-Turtle-Cart.jpg

Awesomely corrected! Love it!

JellyPooga
2017-06-23, 02:13 PM
If you don't mind a throwback, I always thought that Shocker Lizards were very cute.

Hell yeah! I loved the artwork of them in the 3.5 MM and always wanted to play a spellslinger with one as a(n Improved) Familiar. That or actually play as a (somehow) Awakened Shocker Lizard. I wish they'd been brought into 5ed...there's still hope I suppose.

Mjolnirbear
2017-06-23, 02:34 PM
Velociraptors.

They're basically reptilian wolves. They hunt in groups in a social structure. Make them domesticated and you have a pet. Especially in Eberron.

Crows can make excellent pets.

A lot of these ideas can take advantage of Find Familiar, even if not ordinarily dog-like.

M Placeholder
2017-06-23, 03:07 PM
Have you considered the Ethyk? (http://www.lomion.de/cmm/ethyk.php)

Falcon X
2017-06-24, 01:01 AM
Pseudodragons: The housecats of D&D wizards.
- also young manticors (http://dcisgoingtohell.com/)

My players in OotA have also domesticated a giant fire beetle.