PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Irori and Animal Companions

StygianRose
2017-05-31, 01:11 PM
Hi everyone!

So, long story short I am making a character for an Iron Gods campaign with some friends, with Core + Base classes allowed. I saw the neat animal companions offered for this AP, specifically the Pilo, so I decided to go Sacred Huntmaster Inquisitor. I picked Irori for my god, since Knowledge (Memory) Domain and Irori's Obedience seemed really neat.

I was hoping people could chime in on whether fluff-wise, it would be weird for Irori to have someone with an Animal Companion as their follower? I am probably splitting hairs over the nature of 'Self Perfection', but I wanted to see what some other people thought as well.

Florian
2017-05-31, 01:35 PM
That is an very weird choice, all three parts of it: The Archetype, the god and the combination in this specific AP.

Psyren
2017-05-31, 01:59 PM
A few druids do worship him, and they focus on emulating the natural purity of instinct that animals possess. While this obviously appears to focus you on Wild Shape, I could see him being fine with keeping an animal around to learn from and guide you down your path. On your way to perfection, he'd probably encourage you to release it eventually (once you've gleaned all you can from it, you shouldn't need it as a crutch anymore) but that can be so far in the future for your character that it could occur after the campaign is over, or even after you've died.

Geddy2112
2017-05-31, 02:26 PM
Irori's herald is often seen with an accompanying animal: either a turtle, monkey, ox, rooster, or pig. He has another divine servant that is a white tiger. You really can't go wrong with any of these.

Any of the other Chinese zodiac animals would probably work, as they all embody some aspect needed on the way to enlightenment/perfection.

Psyren
2017-05-31, 02:28 PM
Irori's herald is often seen with an accompanying animal: either a turtle, monkey, ox, rooster, or pig. He has another divine servant that is a white tiger. You really can't go wrong with any of these.

Any of the other Chinese zodiac animals would probably work, as they all embody some aspect needed on the way to enlightenment/perfection.

I like this idea a lot. Chinese Zodiac animal companions would fit him a great deal, and I could also see him encouraging you to release your current one and bind a different one as you advance through each stage of "perfection."