PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What are the essential building blocks of an Intimidate build?

EisenKreutzer
2017-05-31, 01:50 PM
I'm working on building a pirate captain NPC, and I want to make him focused on Intimidating as it's very thematic for a Blackbeard style pirate.

What are the basic, fundamental options to use when designing a character around Intimidate? Do the assumptions change when it's for a boss-type NPC?

Florian
2017-05-31, 02:07 PM
I'm working on building a pirate captain NPC, and I want to make him focused on Intimidating as it's very thematic for a Blackbeard style pirate.

What are the basic, fundamental options to use when designing a character around Intimidate? Do the assumptions change when it's for a boss-type NPC?

The question is more whether you envision that as a solo boss fight or with a more complex setup.

legomaster00156
2017-05-31, 02:13 PM
You will need either the Dazzling Display feat (intimidate all within 30' as a full-round action) or a way to intimidate as a move/swift/free action. I would also suggest taking Signature Skill (Intimidate). It is one of very few skill unlocks that is actually worth the feat.

Zanos
2017-05-31, 02:33 PM
Damnation feats are pretty good. With all 4 soulless gaze gives +4 intimidate, lets you swift action intimidate, and lets you stack it with itself so you can break the entire game over your knee against any creature that intimidate works on.

EisenKreutzer
2017-05-31, 02:35 PM
The question is more whether you envision that as a solo boss fight or with a more complex setup.

Definitely a more complex encounter. I have made the mistake of single boss foghts before, and either the action economy destroys the boss or they are so powerful they wipe the party.

I prefer building encounters with several enemies, though the occasional single dragon can be fun now and then.

Geddy2112
2017-05-31, 02:36 PM
Second signature skill. Intimidating prowess if you are building a str based intimidation character, and skill focus is pretty important in addition to max ranks(duh). In addition to dazzling display, you have enforcer, cornagun smash, deadly carnage, killing flourish, gory finish, disheartening display, shatter defenses, and several other good feats-some overlap and some are trees, but all useful in their own way.

If you have bard/alchemist/inquisitor casting or a good UMD, the spell blistering invective is a really good way to intimidate and do damage.

Florian
2017-05-31, 03:15 PM
Definitely a more complex encounter. I have made the mistake of single boss foghts before, and either the action economy destroys the boss or they are so powerful they wipe the party.

I prefer building encounters with several enemies, though the occasional single dragon can be fun now and then.

A Ranger (Freebooter) is a solid backbone for this kind of encounter. Free-floating FE bonus, that works on "kill that guys over there" and will trigger the full Companion bonus on the crew.
Whip and Pistol style would allow for both, Dazzling Display and Taskmaster (Using Intimidate to inspire your crew), but wouldn'tīt go as deep into it as a solid rogue or slayer build.

Sayt
2017-05-31, 06:58 PM
Cornugon smash for free action intimidate when you power attack.

Hurtful for more attacks against a feared enemies.

Slayers with the menacing ranger combat style pick up Shatter Defenses without prerequisites at 6th, iirc.

Calthropstu
2017-05-31, 08:07 PM
Max ranks in intimidate.

Tuvarkz
2017-06-01, 02:23 AM
You need:
-Reliable intimidate, which means you should pass the check on a nat 1. This is easy, just stack the modifiers to crazy levels.
-Free action (or swift action if necessary) intimidate. Cornugon Smash covers this
-A reliable way to pierce fear immunity. First-party only, the only reliable way of achieving this is an antipaladin's aura of cowardice. With 3pp enabled, the Psionics-wise: Dread's Aura of fear, Path of War: Expanded's Black Seraph Annihilation feat or Jailer of the Damned stance provide this too.
What you want out of a intimidate build
-More damage: Grab the Shattered Defenses feat, so that your attacks after the first hit on flatfoot
-Action denial: Either Signature Skill Intimidate, Soulless Gaze damnation feat, or Thug Rogue