PDA

View Full Version : best monsters to "dragonize"?

Braininthejar2
2017-05-31, 03:20 PM
The adventure I'm planning involves a "mad scientist" wizard working for a dragon-worshipping cult. He mostly works with grafts, but some of his experiments involved adding templates to living things, and the more successful specimen have been kept alive as guard beasts for the cultist compound.

So, what creatures would be intresting and or challenging if modified with a draconic theme? (either given a full half-dragon template, or just bits, like a breath attack, or blindsense)

Celestia
2017-05-31, 04:02 PM
Ooze dragon. Make a Goodra. *nods*

Endarire
2017-05-31, 04:13 PM
Beholders! Demons! Devils! Angels! Guardinals!

Waker
2017-05-31, 04:13 PM
I'm trying to resist suggesting pun monsters. How about a Half-Dragon Minotaur for a mini-Balrog? Or how about a Medusa?

ngilop
2017-05-31, 04:21 PM
DINOSAURS!!!!

that what I did. Felt like doing a quick campaign about an elf-lich and a world where the dragons had all died out. ( about 5 or so ages ago)

The wizard was in stasis in an island sanctuary and came out of his stasis about 1,2000 years before the campaign start.

He quickly found out that dragons where gone but decided to create dragons himself, why you might ask.. Because he was old, undead, and evil.

He spent a few centuries looking for way to duplicate the base attributes of dragons. and came down to 6 different species he settled on.

It was a mixture of grafting, life-energy infusing (think fiendish/half fiend template minus smite good), and selective breeding.

it came down to the 'standard' dragon which was 4 different 'breed's of pteradon CRs 3, 4, 6, and 9. the bigger ones of 2 'breeds' based off the deinonychus CRs 4, 6, and 8. The ankylosaurus CR 5 and 7. The brontosaurus of CRs 10 and 14, the stegosaurus at CRs 7, 9, and 11. and of course the lone tyrannosaurus coming in at CR 15.

So there is that, I basically took half fiend slapped it on the tyrannosaurs then added the elder serpent template? not sure on that last one.

there were also a few 'disappointments' the heroes had to fight, one was a titanic toad that was actually tougher than the tyrannasourus standing at CR 16, but lol it was just a big, big bit toad

chainer1216
2017-05-31, 04:23 PM
A Bulette! The landshark becomes an element breathing Skyshark!

Braininthejar2
2017-05-31, 05:17 PM
Ooze dragon. Make a Goodra. *nods*
How can you tell it's draconic?

Beholders! Demons! Devils! Angels! Guardinals!
Beholders are his pet project, which he hides from his boss. The rest is kind of hard to get...

I'm trying to resist suggesting pun monsters. How about a Half-Dragon Minotaur for a mini-Balrog? Or how about a Medusa?
What puns? do tell. :smallcool:
Medusa is an npc, not a monster. A minotaur... I think I'll use that one.

DINOSAURS!!!!http://media-hearth.cursecdn.com/avatars/319/828/55487.png

A Bulette! The landshark becomes an element breathing Skyshark!
The idea is cool... but... how do you make something that stocky fly? (And now I can't get rid of a mental image of a bulette using flames as... "jet propulsion" )

Karl Aegis
2017-05-31, 05:19 PM
Straight up Astral Constucts and Udoroots, yo.

Waker
2017-05-31, 05:57 PM
Puns? Half Dragon on a plant monster like Tentrilicus (awb, can't remember spelling) for a Snap dragon.
Insectoid Dragonne for a dragonfly.
But what do you mean that Medusa is an npc not monster? Medusa are a race of snakey women who turn ya to stone. In the MM right before mimics and mindflayers.

CharonsHelper
2017-05-31, 06:10 PM
Half dragon (red, gold or brass) moss troll. *nods knowingly*

The moss troll has regeneration 5 (fire). But due to being a half dragon - they're immune to fire! BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA!! (Though amusingly - they're still scared of fire, so they're technically shaken while they're breathing fire.)

Though - they can still be killed - but they have to be suffocated. As far as I know, that's the only way.

Godskook
2017-05-31, 06:40 PM
Refluffing dragonspawn as wizardry experiments would work quite well, and there's plenty of useful tidbits to grab from MMIV.

ben-zayb
2017-05-31, 08:55 PM
Beholder. That would be Super punny.

Braininthejar2
2017-06-01, 03:26 AM
But what do you mean that Medusa is an npc not monster? Medusa are a race of snakey women who turn ya to stone. In the MM right before mimics and mindflayers.

Meaning I need a "guard beast" not an "upgraded cult member" (I already have ideas for those) and a medusa, with her intelligence, would be the latter.

Braininthejar2
2017-06-01, 03:35 AM
Refluffing dragonspawn as wizardry experiments would work quite well, and there's plenty of useful tidbits to grab from MMIV.

That... could work. Also, Draconomicon has some abberation that looks like a half-dragon gibbering mouther.