PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Are wizard's worth playing in AL?

xroads
2017-05-31, 03:24 PM
Are wizard's worth playing in AL?

I ask because arguably a wizard's most defining and powerful attribute is his versatility. In theory there is no limit to the number of spells he can learn.

But in practice, I wonder how this actually plays out. I haven't played much AL, but I have played in many of the modules used for AL. And I can't ever recall finding a spell scroll or a spell book.

Granted, our group never seems to make it much past the start of Tier 2 before we move onto something else. But is this still a taste of things to come? Or can a wizard have a reasonable chance of growing their spellbook outside of leveling?

Or is there some other attribute of wizards which makes them worth playing?

Tetrasodium
2017-05-31, 03:55 PM
You can copy entire spellbooks from other wizards if there isn't overlap

Waterdeep Merch
2017-05-31, 04:04 PM
You can copy entire spellbooks from other wizards if there isn't overlap

This. If you know other wizard players and plan accordingly, you can get disgustingly powerful. I really recommend it to anyone that plays AL with plenty of other people. They're also the only class that has anything interesting or useful to do with the truckloads of gold you eventually accumulate.

JAL_1138
2017-06-01, 06:02 AM
Scrolls for "utility" spells crop up somewhat regularly in loot from Tier 2 onward, too.

djreynolds
2017-06-01, 06:23 AM
You must advocate for yourself to the DM.

Ask everyone for spell scrolls in town. Make the DM roll for them in random treasure.

Put that silver tongued paladin to work, and have that lazy rogue go steal something.

EvilAnagram
2017-06-01, 07:08 AM
Even if you only get the two spells per level, you're getting more spells than any other arcane caster, by far. More importantly, you're going to be casting without having to worry about spell slots because you'll only have one to three encounters a day.

Tetrasodium
2017-06-01, 08:23 AM
You must advocate for yourself to the DM.

Ask everyone for spell scrolls in town. Make the DM roll for them in random treasure.

Put that silver tongued paladin to work, and have that lazy rogue go steal something.

This yes. Teach that druid bear what arcane inks & components smell like & get him to sniff around for them with advantage as a bear & his trained perception on a wis based class when searching the bbeg's room too.
a lot of classes have abilities that can be super useful just waiting for someone to say "hey so & so can you..."

Lord Il Palazzo
2017-06-01, 08:28 AM
Even if you only get the two spells per level, you're getting more spells than any other arcane caster, by far. More importantly, you're going to be casting without having to worry about spell slots because you'll only have one to three encounters a day.This is my reaction too. Wizards are balanced and entirely playable for the number of spells they get naturally; being able to copy extras is a nice bonus, but it isn't required for a wizard to work.

xroads
2017-06-01, 10:32 AM
Some very useful tips. I didn't think about copying from other player's spellbooks. And wizards do still get a lot more spell selection than any of the other arcane casters.

Thanks all. :smallbiggrin:

Princess
2017-06-01, 01:25 PM
I have a 7th level AL Wizard. She has twice as many spells in her book as she gets from leveling up and next session another level 8 wizard will be there and I suspect at least 5 useful spells for each of us won't overlap. Do all the things, learn all the magic.

LtPowers
2017-06-01, 01:34 PM
Some very useful tips. I didn't think about copying from other player's spellbooks. And wizards do still get a lot more spell selection than any of the other arcane casters.

Not only that, but if you copy a non-PHB spell from another player's book, it doesn't count against your +1 supplement limitation for AL.

So you can make a Bladesinger (using SCAG as your +1) and get Elemental Evil spells. You can't pick 'em on level-up but if you can find someone who has them...

Powers &8^]

The Ship's dog
2017-06-01, 02:11 PM
I was under the impression that any class is worth playing, regardless of setting. It's what you want to play after all

SharkForce
2017-06-01, 04:01 PM
Not only that, but if you copy a non-PHB spell from another player's book, it doesn't count against your +1 supplement limitation for AL.

So you can make a Bladesinger (using SCAG as your +1) and get Elemental Evil spells. You can't pick 'em on level-up but if you can find someone who has them...

Powers &8^]

that said, you wouldn't be able to access the cantrips, which is a shame as SCAG has some that are good for bladesingers and EE has some that are good for anyone...