View Full Version : Mystic and Artificer on dmsguild

Cybren
2017-05-31, 04:16 PM
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/unearthed-arcana-update

jaappleton
2017-05-31, 04:18 PM
What does this MEAN?

Extended Playtesting.

What I'm very shocked about is that the Revised Ranger isn't included. I thought it would be.

Unless they've already done another rework of it and it's going to be released relatively soon....?

Belltent
2017-05-31, 04:33 PM
Note that these are identical to the UA releases.

What does this MEAN?

Extended Playtesting.

What I'm very shocked about is that the Revised Ranger isn't included. I thought it would be.

Unless they've already done another rework of it and it's going to be released relatively soon....?

I bet the revised ranger is close enough and will be out in the rules supplement this fall. Entering wide testing this late probably closes the door on official artificer and mystic in '17 though (probably, maybe they have some insane editing to print process worked out that defies expectation.)

jaappleton
2017-05-31, 04:38 PM
There's a huge event this weekend, the Stream of Annihilation. An official WOTC event.

I've no doubt the fall product lineup will be announced. Curious if there will be any other surprises. I'm hoping for phase two of D&D Beyond to be rolled out, and maybe for a UA on Monday.

Belltent
2017-05-31, 04:54 PM
There's a huge event this weekend, the Stream of Annihilation. An official WOTC event.

I've no doubt the fall product lineup will be announced. Curious if there will be any other surprises. I'm hoping for phase two of D&D Beyond to be rolled out, and maybe for a UA on Monday.
UA is confirmed to be more subclass revisions.

King539
2017-05-31, 04:55 PM
*Rubs hands together and grins in glee*

MeeposFire
2017-05-31, 05:00 PM
Sadly I do not notice nay modifications. I liked the artificer a to but there were a number of things that I thought needed to be addressed and I don't think any of them were. I guess I was in the minority on that one.

Fishybugs
2017-05-31, 05:40 PM
I've no doubt the fall product lineup will be announced.

This has been confirmed on the Dragon Talk podcast.

Tetrasodium
2017-05-31, 08:56 PM
It's sad that the de-eberronized the artificer. It shouldn't be making freaking guns instead of charged wands & such like they have it doing. I seriously hope they at least create a new variant for eberron rather than trying to shoehorn such an illfitting thing into it. I fear for the arrival of house Lyrander bomber planes if they do not.

furby076
2017-05-31, 10:23 PM

Ill happily pay 25 for core software plus x amount for addons. But monthly subs? /pass

T.G. Oskar
2017-06-01, 01:41 AM
Completely mystified (pun intended) as to why they're releasing the Mystic on the DM's Guild (if it'll be part of a published product soon enough - then again, it HAS to be published to be part of the Adventurer's League, and the published product is essentially the final revision), but there's a good reason why the Artificer was placed on the DMsG.

Apparently they're out of ideas. Note what they mentioned on the quip:

"Between watching the design work done on the DM’s Guild and monitoring feedback data, we’ll continue to revise these two classes.

Once the classes have robust sets of features and options that are hitting the approval levels we aim for, we will make those classes available for playtesting in the D&D Adventurers League."

The rest indicates a pattern:
First draft of class gets released on Adventurer's League. That first draft can be of 5, 10 or full 20 levels, with no less than 2 subclasses.
First draft gets a survey to gather results
Class gets to a second, and potentially further, drafts - Artificer only needed two (in practice one, but if you consider the School of Artifice fiasco, then it's two drafts)
Further drafts get surveys to gather more results
Working draft of class gets released in the Dungeon Master's Guild to be used as a resource. WotC steals gathers ideas from the homebrewers
Draft + chosen ideas get to be surveyed
Class may or may not get a revision. If it doesn't, skip to phase 9
If having a revision, expect another survey.
Class gets released for Adventurer's League. This is essentially considered its final form.
Class gets released in a splat.
[...]
Profit!

The Mystic is already on a working process, and what WotC probably needs is to attract the homebrewers into using the material and adapting it into their games. This is probably where the mystery is lost: they want to see how the material adapts into adventures, by allowing 'brewers to create Mystic NPCs and enemies using disciplines as part of their stat blocks. In the case of the Artificer, they probably want more subclasses, and see what sticks of what it already exists. Since it's Faerun, it'll be hard to harness the old-school feel of an Artificer proper, but it might also bring a working version of the Wand Adept, and potentially other subclasses (Effigy Master?).

It kinda feels like a cop-out, but it's also pretty clever - have the audience do this for you, and when the time's ripe for it, release an Adventure book with the new classes. Mystic is pretty easy to work in Faerun: psionics are considered "the Art" and parallel to the Weave in terms of the supernatural. The Artificer will be a bit harder, particularly since, while it's relatively viable in Faerun (gnomes in Lantan might be Artificers), it has an unmistakable Eberron heritage that cannot be denied. It's a cop-out in that WotC is expecting their players to do their job, but clever because you have a smaller chance of creating unwanted material if it's essentially borrowed from other players' imaginations and mostly republish them after careful revision.

Maxilian
2017-06-01, 09:27 AM
Sadly I do not notice nay modifications. I liked the artificer a to but there were a number of things that I thought needed to be addressed and I don't think any of them were. I guess I was in the minority on that one.

No, it seens nothing was modified, its seens they put it there without any modifications, to have more playtest of the options right now before making a change

Arkhios
2017-06-01, 09:39 AM
Don't think of it too much, this update isn't anything phenomenal. In fact, it was posted 25th of May, not on 1st of June, so it's not even meant to be the "next UA article"; that'll probably come 5th of june at the earliest.

In my opinion you guys may be overreacting a little. So what if they didn't modify anything yet? It might be that they just want to see more direct feedback via DMs guild.