PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Confusion About Oathbound Paladins

ATHATH
2017-05-31, 08:08 PM
Specifically, I'm confused about their Oath spells. Are they just added to the Paladin's spell list? Does the Paladin also get an extra spell slot per spell level that can only be filled with Oath spells? Does it work similarly to the Arcane Disciple feat from 3.5?

The relevant text, for reference:

Oath Spells

A paladin’s oath influences what magic she can perform. An oathbound paladin adds one spell to the paladin spell list at each paladin spell level she can cast (including spell levels for which she would only gain spells per day if her Charisma were high enough to grant bonus spells of that level). Her oath determines what spell is added to the spell list. If the paladin has multiple oaths, the spells from each oath are added to her spell list.

If an oathbound paladin has more than one oath, she may prepare any one of her oath’s spells in that slot (similar to a cleric choosing one of her two domain spells to prepare in a domain spell slot).

grarrrg
2017-05-31, 09:26 PM
If I remember correctly, this is one of those "horrible wording" / "bad edit" issues.
Given the last bit of text, I'd say it most likely was intended to work like a Cleric's Domain slot, in that you now have an "Oath slot" in addition to regular spell slots.

ATHATH
2017-06-01, 02:02 AM
If I remember correctly, this is one of those "horrible wording" / "bad edit" issues.
Given the last bit of text, I'd say it most likely was intended to work like a Cleric's Domain slot, in that you now have an "Oath slot" in addition to regular spell slots.
So this is an "ask your DM" kind of thing?

Florian
2017-06-01, 02:17 AM
So this is an "ask your DM" kind of thing?

Not really. It´s more of a "Head over to the PFS forum and look how it has been clarified there", as this is what´ll mostly finds its way into the FAQ and later errata.

Edit: And there´s it is handled like grarrrg mentioned, you get an "Oath Slot" each spell level.