PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next (Spell-less) Alchemist

Mourne
2017-06-01, 01:00 AM
I've been working on a spell-less Alchemist class recently and have finally reached the end (read: hit the creative wall). The class appears (to my mind) to be nearly complete, but I'm not sure what exactly it brings to the table -- maybe fresh eyes can provide some perspective. The class itself is based around the common bomb theme though with a twist. I've borrowed/modified concepts from quite a few of the homebrew Alchemist classes floating around (I've tried to give credit where a feature is a blatant cut/paste) but added enough that I think it's a fairly unique perspective on the class.

Please note that, for my personal campaign, I do make use of the UA Artificer though without the Alchemist archetype. In the grand scheme of things, my Alchemist is intended to be mainly "chemistry" based whereas the Artificer concentrates on mechanical contraptions (and dabbles a little more with magical energy).

I'm not too interested in balance assessments (unless something is completely egregious) as this is more for my own campaign world/group of players -- though hopefully it's interesting enough that another table might find a niche for it. My biggest concerns at the moment is utility (as it's not a potion brewer) and the "feel" of the class in general.

Thanks in advance for taking a peek...

Homebrewery Link: Alchemist (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1ZpKW4cbb)

EDIT: Class updated to v1.0 6/12/17

Veniur
2017-06-06, 01:59 PM
I like it! I've been looking at Alchemist classes all day because I don't like the UA version. Yours is my favorite so far and, if you don't mind, I'm going to use it.

Veniur
2017-06-11, 09:19 AM
So I have been looking at it quite a lot in the past couple of days. There are a few kinks in the class. For starters, nearly all the admixtures cannot be used RAW. If you consider it a ranged attack in the way you have, creatures should not also be making saving throws to avoid damage. That gives a doubly narrow chance to deal damage to the target. Also, the admixture feature says if they do not hit the target they do not explode, but the admixtures say on impact, which logically would mean if they hit the ground they would still explode, especially since you can target objects and locations/surfaces.
Next the Everburning Torch feature seems strange as well. It says you deal 1d4 + Int mod fire damage on a hit with a torch or other flaming item. If you have a weapon that is on fire and deals fire damage, instead of it dealing its normal damage or magic damage its a flat 1d4 + Int mod. Maybe this should say additional damage, making it 1d4+1+Int mod for a basic torch no feats and still allows magic items to be buffed with the feature too.
Finally, and most terrifying, is the homunculus. So first off, homunculus' stat block says 5 hp, so the bit about whichever is more is redundant. Next Homunculus Link (or Homunculus Experimentation in the level progression block) is incredibly overpowered and doesn't seem to fit the theme of the class. Basically a lvl 10 Apothecary with +2 Con and +5 Int (for example) begins the day with a pool of hp totaling 73 (base hp) + 10 (Aqua Vitae) + 49 (homunculus taking as many as possible without actually dying) = 132 hp. A lvl 10 barbarian with +5 Con has 125 hp. Sure, the barbarian probably will have higher AC and resistance to damage, but this is the healing subclass of a non-frontliner class.

I would recommend looking at the cantrips provided from other classes and make the admixtures resemble closer to those with a blurb saying unlimited uses and give each subclass a limited use per short or long rest (maybe Int mod) for an admixture specific to the subclass.
Also I would probably only give the homunculus to the Energist's Guild at lvl 3 instead of an admixture and the bonuses to homunculus effects at the same time as the golems (considering that the golems could also rage out, I think it balances).
I would probably switch Aqua Vitae to the Enbalmer's Guild, give Enbalmer's Guild Medium Armor prof and kinda make them the tankish subclass. The Apothecary's Guild could use something for preventing damage to allies too. That would be good in place of the aqua vitae feature.

I do thank you for the class. I am just making these and other similar adjustments for my campaign.
Respectfully, Veniur.

Mourne
2017-06-11, 11:46 AM
Thanks much for the feedback (and apologies on the late reply, I've had a couple of other projects consuming my time lately).

So I have been looking at it quite a lot in the past couple of days. There are a few kinks in the class. For starters, nearly all the admixtures cannot be used RAW. If you consider it a ranged attack in the way you have, creatures should not also be making saving throws to avoid damage. That gives a doubly narrow chance to deal damage to the target. Also, the admixture feature says if they do not hit the target they do not explode, but the admixtures say on impact, which logically would mean if they hit the ground they would still explode, especially since you can target objects and locations/surfaces.

Admittedly, I got a little lazy in clarifying how the throwing mechanic works with admixtures. It could certainly use some rewording.

The idea on the saving throw is 1) to mimic the rules of certain spells that allow for a save and reduced damage (afterall, no matter how cute one gets with semantics, these are just spells with a alchemical title and flavor) and 2) to capture the ability of a target to avoid the splash of the admixture.

In the end, it may be best to avoid the to hit roll (as you're not really trying to specifically hit the target, but possibly the target or an area close to the target) and simply allow a save to avoid the damage. As you point out, requiring both the hit and save does doubly penalize the admixture's damage capability.

Next the Everburning Torch feature seems strange as well. It says you deal 1d4 + Int mod fire damage on a hit with a torch or other flaming item. If you have a weapon that is on fire and deals fire damage, instead of it dealing its normal damage or magic damage its a flat 1d4 + Int mod. Maybe this should say additional damage, making it 1d4+1+Int mod for a basic torch no feats and still allows magic items to be buffed with the feature too.

Honestly, this is a remnant from a previous version that I left in. The damage portion of the Everburning Torch probably does not need to be there.

Finally, and most terrifying, is the homunculus. So first off, homunculus' stat block says 5 hp, so the bit about whichever is more is redundant. Next Homunculus Link (or Homunculus Experimentation in the level progression block) is incredibly overpowered and doesn't seem to fit the theme of the class. Basically a lvl 10 Apothecary with +2 Con and +5 Int (for example) begins the day with a pool of hp totaling 73 (base hp) + 10 (Aqua Vitae) + 49 (homunculus taking as many as possible without actually dying) = 132 hp. A lvl 10 barbarian with +5 Con has 125 hp. Sure, the barbarian probably will have higher AC and resistance to damage, but this is the healing subclass of a non-frontliner class.

Well, that definitely needs some retooling. Good Catch.

I would recommend looking at the cantrips provided from other classes and make the admixtures resemble closer to those with a blurb saying unlimited uses and give each subclass a limited use per short or long rest (maybe Int mod) for an admixture specific to the subclass.

I tried to use a similar damage progression theme (as compared to cantrips) but modified based on whether the admixture had a secondary effect. The unlimited uses rubs me wrong as it is (in theory) a manufactured resource even though we're hand waving away the raw materials. I tried to preserve some of the uses by the "doesn't break when it misses" solution but it certainly was not elegant. Back to the drawing board for a solution...

Also I would probably only give the homunculus to the Energist's Guild at lvl 3 instead of an admixture and the bonuses to homunculus effects at the same time as the golems (considering that the golems could also rage out, I think it balances). I would probably switch Aqua Vitae to the Enbalmer's Guild, give Enbalmer's Guild Medium Armor prof and kinda make them the tankish subclass. The Apothecary's Guild could use something for preventing damage to allies too. That would be good in place of the aqua vitae feature.

I'll give the archetypes a once-over here real soon keeping your suggestions in mind. While the homunculus does fit the Energist's Guild the best, it's hard to pull out a core class feature (especially one that figures so prominently in folklore).

I do thank you for the class. I am just making these and other similar adjustments for my campaign.

Again thank you for the feedback! Please feel free to share any further thoughts. What's the saying..."Anyone can make a homebrew, but it takes a village to make a good homebrew"