PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Extra 18,s or 2 levels up ? What would you pick .

Pugwampy
2017-06-01, 07:52 AM
Kay hypothetically speaking , you are the greatest DM in the world who wants to bring equality among the classes . We all have our own opinions about which class stinks and which is cool as well as playing style conditions which could hurt so and so class .

Which carrot has the least chance of blowing up in your face , making useless class into OP wargod which everyone ends up hiding behind making this a DM vs that player match and killing the game for a year before everyone has cooled down and want to play again .

1. Would you offer three 18,s free to swop out with whatever rolled stats or point buy ?

2. Would you keep that stinky class 2 levels ahead at all times .

.................................................. ................

I would pick level up . Old school DND did this all the time . multiple 18,s are cool but they only get you so far .

And just for cheap click bait reasons I think Monk , Rogue , Bard and Universal Wizard are stinky professions for level 1 campaigns.

If this was level 10 start campaign I would swop wizard out with fighter .

AOKost
2017-06-01, 08:33 AM
The extra 18's! That's generally way more useful than 2 free levels unless you're playing a character that's got a level adjustment and you want to use those levels to buy it off...

NomGarret
2017-06-01, 09:12 AM
So correct me if I'm misunderstanding: we pick which of those two options we would apply to the weaker class(es) in our games?

If that's the case, I'm going with the 3 18s. What holds classes like fighter and monk back - that can be addressed by one of these fixes - are MAD and lack of utility. In the long run, they're improved more by having their top 3 stats covered and their other 3 above average. Remember that the three 18s replaced the worst rolled stats, so something like 16, 15, 13 is expected as a floor. Suddenly your dumped int and cha turn into positives with skill points and a modifier worth trying an intimidate check from time to time.

Two additional levels just exacerbate their one-trick-ponyness. You don't get as many more skill points, so you might as well take advantage of the higher cap and get even more specialized. You do get more HP and accuracy than bumped stats give you, but not having enough more hp was never really the fighter's problem. Your saves are a tick further along, but you get more out of a boosted wis score.

legomaster00156
2017-06-01, 09:25 AM
I'd be careful about this, because multiclassing exists. One could take a single level in Monk, get the benefits of this houserule, then go straight into Cleric or something.

dude123nice
2017-06-01, 10:47 AM
I'd be careful about this, because multiclassing exists. One could take a single level in Monk, get the benefits of this houserule, then go straight into Cleric or something.

A good way to handle this would be to give weaker classes extra stat boosts at various levels, like fighter being given an extra stat point at Fighter Level 4,8,12, etc, in addition to standard stat increases from character progression.

Pugwampy
2017-06-01, 04:00 PM
unless you're playing a character that's got a level adjustment and you want to use those levels to buy it off...

Wow thats awesome . I never considered that . Nice one . I will mention that to players.

You do get more HP and accuracy than bumped stats give you, but not having enough more hp was never really the fighter's problem. Your saves are a tick further along

Yeah thats basically exactly my reasons . More att , saves , HP , feats , etc etc .

I welcome players to "care" for their PC and my game enough to try and take advantage of that "house rule" .
I have yet to find a successful multi class beyond a 1 level dip . Even so as far as I am concerned that player just took a level step backwards and made Dm,s life easier .

A good way to handle this would be to give weaker classes extra stat boosts at various levels

I dont see an extra stat boost regardless of what it is , making very much difference or selling the non "meta" class .

Quertus
2017-06-01, 06:06 PM
I play wizards. As very few of my wizard concepts necessitate - or, for that matter, really work all that well with - 3 18s, I think I'd take the extra levels, please.

The party monk? Well,

Me, I'd be happy with this guy having 3 18s. Heck, I'd be happy with him having straight 18s.

Endarire
2017-06-01, 08:48 PM
It depends on details.

A single level is much closer in terms of power, and even then I'd more likely say, "All base 18s or an extra level." Mind you, there are plenty of ways to use polymorph, Wild Shape, and company to reduce the need of having all 18s. Also, if it takes about a month to gain a level, those who accept this level are a month ahead.

For intraparty balance reasons, just give everyone all base 18s and avoid the option to be a level ahead, because a level can mean a lot!

Quertus
2017-06-01, 10:17 PM
Oh, and, duh, I can't believe I forgot to mention this the first time around: if you give my wizard 2 extra levels early on, and we play to high level, you can kinda fudge when I need to level more slowly vs when the fighter needs to level more quickly.

But if you start me off with 3 18s, it's kinda odd for my stats to slowly deteriorate, while the fighter magically gets super smart / wise / whatever.

So, from an internal consistency PoV, the bonus levels seem to be a win.