PDA

View Full Version : Spell selection for a Support-Focused Favored Soul Sorcerer

Giegue
2017-06-01, 10:23 AM
As the title says. I'm looking to make a sorcerer who is focused on being a total support character instead of the usual blaster and thought the most recent Favored Soul form UA would be the best way to do this. However, I've become paralyzed by the sheer volume of spells I have to choose from. So I am enlisting your aid, what are the best spells to take from both the sorcerer an cleric spell list for a character who wants to be a total support character who never casts a spell that dose nothing beyond dealingbdamage? Blasts that have a support or crowd control rider are fine by me, but straight blasts that only deal damage are something I never want to be casting, ever, unless it's a cantrips perhaps. So, with that being said, what would be the best spells for a support favored soul of each level? An/all advice would be appreciated!

solidork
2017-06-01, 12:16 PM
My personal choices would be something like this:

Pick up Mage Armor via Magic Initiate
1st: Bless/Shield of Faith, Healing Word, Command
2nd: Spiritual Weapon, Blindness/Deafness
3rd: Counterspell, Haste
4th: Banishment, Dimension Door
5th: Animate Objects, (Not sure, maybe take Freedom of Movement instead of another 5th level? Or a ressurrection spell)
6th: Heal
7th: Teleport
8th: Holy Aura
9th: Wish

Khrysaes
2017-06-01, 01:24 PM
You could multiclass 1 life cleric to get heavy armor and some of those spells free or preparable. This will also improve your heals based on the spell level you cast it at. It also gives you a few cleric cantrips without using your sorcerer slots. You do lose the capstone.

Alternatively, 2 levels of warlock could get you some nice versatility with the false life invocation, armor of agathys, and whatnot, and give you a pseudo version of the capstone by using your 2 1st level slots per short rest for 2 sorcerery points. 3 levels would make it the same 4 points, but you lose out on the 18th level class feature. You also miss the 19th level ASI.

The Hexblade would get you medium armor and shield proficiency if Favored soul doesn't get it, and Green Lord's gift would allow you to heal yourself really well.

The Fey one in the same UA, that lets you not sleep, could allow you to do a healing version of the Coffee Drow, short rest 8 times during their long rest.

Honestly, for pure support, I would recommend 1 life cleric. Gives you some more spells/cantrips, without using your sorcerer slots, and improves your defense and healing, making you able to support longer and more efficiently. You lose out on the capstone, but you can take 1 cleric early, and the capstone is at the end of the game. You dont lose out on slots, but you delay your spells known.

solidork
2017-06-01, 06:38 PM
I agree with the potential Cleric dip. A large number of the interesting Cleric spells are accessible at level 1: Bless, Shield of Faith, Healing Word, Protection from Evil and Good, Sanctuary, Command, Guiding Bolt, maybe Bane?

MrStabby
2017-06-01, 07:12 PM
Probably:
1) Bless
2) Hold Person/Prayer of Healing/Web/Maximillian's Earthen Grasp
3) Counterspell/Hypnotic Pattern
4) Banishment/Polymorph
5) Animate objects/ Wall of Stone

With he sorcerer you don't even need to know a spell for every spell slot level - between spells like banishment that upcast well (should you chose not to take twin spell) and the ability to get more sorcery points from a spell slot you can do well with missing out levels that you feel don't represent your character well.