PDA

View Full Version : Counter-Teleportation Spell

FishBot
2017-06-01, 01:12 PM
Yo check out this spell I made

Recall
2nd-level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you see a creature within 60 feet of you teleporting
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
You attempt to prevent a creature from teleporting or from transporting to another plane. The creature that is teleporting must make a strength saving throw. If the creature fails the saving throw they fail to teleport, and the creature takes 1d6 force damage. On a success the creature teleports as normal and they take half as much force damage.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the range of this spell increases by 5 feet, and the force damage dealt increases by an additional d6 for each slot level above 1st.

This is spell available to Artificers, Bards, Sorcerers, Warlocks, and Wizards

Tell me if it's balanced please

jqavins
2017-06-01, 01:52 PM
I think the level is way too low. Teleport is a 5th level spell, so another spell designed specifically to mess with it should be at least that.

The added power by taking it in a higher level slot seems worthwhile, but isn't that what metamagic feats are for?

Otherwise: sure, it seems fine.

N0b0dyY0uKn0w
2017-06-01, 02:04 PM
I think the spell should be at least level 3, maybe level 4.

FishBot
2017-06-01, 03:01 PM
I think the level is way too low. Teleport is a 5th level spell, so another spell designed specifically to mess with it should be at least that.

The added power by taking it in a higher level slot seems worthwhile, but isn't that what metamagic feats are for?

Otherwise: sure, it seems fine.

Well this messes with any teleportation not just that spell. But, I think a higher level is appropriate. I'll change it to 3rd level maybe?

jqavins
2017-06-01, 06:44 PM
Lower would be OK if (in my humble opinion) there is another provision that covers the teleportation spell being higher level than the interfering spell. For example:

If the spell giving the teleportation effect is of higher level than Counter-Teleportation then for each level of difference the teleporting caster gains a +5 bonus to his/her saving throw.
In this circumstance, if the save succeeds then the teleporting caster takes no damage.

Spell equivalent level would have to be determined for teleportation achieved by supernatural abilities.

The save bonus could be based on the difference in caster levels rather than spell levels, if you'd think that's better. Basing it on spell level, though, lets the save get harder when metamagic feats are applied that push Counter-Teleportation up to a higher level slot.

As originally written, I picture an 11th level wizard using teleport, opposed by some 3rd level punk, yanked back and taking damage because he missed a strength save; it just don't seem right. Moving the spell level up to 3rd means the "punk" has to be 5th level, which still seems too low to me unless there's something (like the above) that makes it easier for the high level mage to shrug off the attack.

N0b0dyY0uKn0w
2017-06-02, 01:49 AM
I've been thinking about this some more and I see less and less the point of this spell.
If you keep it at level 2 with these effects then it's hugely overpowered.
If you make it a higher level spell then what's the point in takes this spell over counterspell?

FishBot
2017-06-02, 01:14 PM
I've been thinking about this some more and I see less and less the point of this spell.
If you keep it at level 2 with these effects then it's hugely overpowered.
If you make it a higher level spell then what's the point in takes this spell over counterspell?

Pardon? I don't think I understand.

noob
2017-06-02, 05:37 PM
Is it for 5e or 3.5?

FishBot
2017-06-02, 10:11 PM
Is it for 5e or 3.5?

It's for 5e

noob
2017-06-03, 05:44 AM
When you create a thread you can add thread tags so that people immediately know if it is for 3.5 or 5e or pathfinder or yet something else.
Well since I did not play much in 5e I do not see how it is supposed to work.
Do dimensional anchor exists in 5e?

FishBot
2017-06-03, 09:34 PM
When you create a thread you can add thread tags so that people immediately know if it is for 3.5 or 5e or pathfinder or yet something else.
Well since I did not play much in 5e I do not see how it is supposed to work.
Do dimensional anchor exists in 5e?

I tagged it as 5th edition but I don't think that it worked how I intended, and no I don't think dimensional anchors are in 5e

noob
2017-06-04, 05:05 AM
I mean the spell named dimensional anchor who when cast on somebody prevents him from teleporting(but the target have the right to spell resistance)
But it exists in 3.5 and not in 5e and also you need a simple action to cast it and it was level 4.

Nifft
2017-06-08, 12:51 AM
It's a more-limited Counterspell, so I think level 2 works well for this effect.

Unlike Dimensional Anchor, it's not a fire-and-forget -- it blocks exactly one attempt per spell slot.

Compare with 3.5e spells like:
- Anticipate Teleportation (Sorc/Wiz; 3rd level)
- Trace Teleport (Psion; 4th level)
- Dimensional Anchor (Sorc/Wiz; 4th level; 1 min/level)
- Dimensional Lock (Sorc/Wiz; 8th level; 1 day/level)

Good stuff, I would allow this in my games.