PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Druid Circle of the Sky

JamesIntrocaso
2017-06-01, 01:43 PM
So I created another subclass for my homebrew world. This time the Druid Circle of the Sky. Take a look and let me know your thoughts. Any and all feedback welcome.

URL: https://worldbuilderblog.me/2017/06/01/new-druid-circle-circle-of-the-sky-2/

Circle of the Sky
The Circle of the Sky is made up of guardians and warriors who wield the power of lightning and thunder to destroy their enemies from above. These protectors watch from the trees, mountains, and sky, preferring to ambush their prey as a falcon does a mouse. The circles meet at high places, like the peaks of mountains or tops of trees, to exchange reports about the movements of marauding monsters, such as gnolls or orcs, and plan coordinated attacks. Circle of the Sky druids are vigilant and suffer none who would destroy nature for personal gain.

Bonus Cantrip
When you choose this circle at 2nd level, you learn the hurl lightning cantrip (see below).

Cushion of Air
Starting at 2nd level, you can cast the feather fall spell on only yourself without needing to expend any spell slots or material components. You must finish a short rest before you can use this feature again.

Circle Spells
Your mystical connection to the sky infuses you with the ability to cast certain spells. At 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th level you gain access to druid circle spells connected to the sky as indicated on the Circle of the Sky Spells table.
Once you gain access to a circle spell, you always have it prepared, and it doesn’t count against the number of spells you can prepare each day. If you gain access to a spell that doesn’t appear on the druid spell list, the spell is nonetheless a druid spell for you.

Circle of the Sky Spells
Druid Level Spells
3rd gust of wind, shatter
5th lightning bolt, fly
7th freedom of movement, greater invisibility
9th cloudkill, telekinesis

Embrace of the Gray Sky
Starting at 6th level, you can add your Wisdom modifier to any spell you cast that deals lightning or thunder damage. In addition, when you make an attack in a beast shape while using Wild Shape, that attack deals an extra 1d6 thunder damage.

Limitless Heights
When you reach 10th level, you can cast the levitate spell on yourself at will without expending any spell slots or material components, and you are resistant to thunder and lightning damage.

Skyborn Champion
At 14th level, you can expend two uses of wild shape to transform into an air elemental.
In addition, you can use your action to give yourself and a number of creatures within 30 feet of you that you can see a fly speed equal to their walking speed for 1 hour. Once you use this feature, you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest.

New Spell: Hurl Lightning
Of course for this new class, we need a new cantrip. Hurl lightning is described below and can be added to any druid's spell list at the DM's discretion.

Hurl Lightning
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
You throw a small bolt of lightning at a creature or object within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. You have advantage on the attack roll if the target is wearing metal armor or made of metal. On a hit, the target takes 1d6 lightning damage.

The spell's damage increased by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6).

GalacticAxekick
2017-06-01, 05:49 PM
Bonus Cantrip
When you choose this circle at 2nd level, you learn the hurl lightning cantrip (see below).A 90-foot-range spell attack for 1d6 damage is strictly worse than, say, Fire Bolt or Eldritch Blast (120-foot-range spell attacks for 1d10). The cantrip is worthwhile against a metallic target thanks to the advantage, but otherwise it won't see much use.

Just adding damage is no good, since that would make the cantrip too powerful against metallic targets (and too similar to other cantrips). I think one thing you could do is extend the range significantly. Ever spell needs a purpose, and I think hurling lightning to snipe distant foes is a fun one thematically.

Cushion of Air
Starting at 2nd level, you can cast the feather fall spell on only yourself without needing to expend any spell slots or material components. You must finish a short rest before you can use this feature again. Feather Fall is already a very niche spell that won't be needed 9 days out of 10. Limiting it per rest just means, on that 10th day, the feature you've been waiting to take advantage of offers very little.

I'd like the Sky Druid cast Feather Fall on only themself completely at will. Falling, to them, is a non-issue, which would be fun to strategize around.

Circle Spells
Your mystical connection to the sky infuses you with the ability to cast certain spells. At 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th level you gain access to druid circle spells connected to the sky as indicated on the Circle of the Sky Spells table.
Once you gain access to a circle spell, you always have it prepared, and it doesn’t count against the number of spells you can prepare each day. If you gain access to a spell that doesn’t appear on the druid spell list, the spell is nonetheless a druid spell for you.

Circle of the Sky Spells
Druid Level Spells
3rd gust of wind, shatter
5th lightning bolt, fly
7th freedom of movement, greater invisibility
9th cloudkill, telekinesis

Embrace of the Gray Sky
Starting at 6th level, you can add your Wisdom modifier to any spell you cast that deals lightning or thunder damage. In addition, when you make an attack in a beast shape while using Wild Shape, that attack deals an extra 1d6 thunder damage.

Limitless Heights
When you reach 10th level, you can cast the levitate spell on yourself at will without expending any spell slots or material components, and you are resistant to thunder and lightning damage. Solid!

Skyborn Champion
At 14th level, you can expend two uses of wild shape to transform into an air elemental.
In addition, you can use your action to give yourself and a number of creatures within 30 feet of you that you can see a fly speed equal to their walking speed for 1 hour. Once you use this feature, you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest. I can only eyeball the balance for this sort of thing—there are no similar features to compare this too, and no simple math like DPR to calculate—but I think the costs and effects check out, and it's definitely fun thematically!

JamesIntrocaso
2017-06-01, 05:52 PM
Thank you for this feedback. I've gotten some similar notes about Cushion of Air in particular. I'll probably juice that up as suggested!