PDA

View Full Version : Creating goggles

Hellstick
2017-06-01, 01:56 PM
Hello everyone, first time poster here, but hopefully not last:)
I looked around for where to post this so I hope I'm in the right section.

So I'm playing a rock gnome wizard in one of the settings I'm currently playing and really want to utilize the tinkering aspect of my character. So I came up with a sort of long term project for my character that should keep me occupied when my character has time to tinker. I want to build a pair of goggles with various lenses that each serve different functions. For example, I want the goggles to have one set of lenses that functions like a magnifying glass and anothe set that functions like a Set of welding glasses. I want to be able to control what lenses are being used by pulling small lever-like parts on the side of the goggles and I also want to be able control the level of strength on those of the lenses where it makes sense (the level of zoom on the before mentioned magnifying glass for example). My DM has green lighted the idea so I'm pretty excited to get started but I would love some ideas on what kind of lenses could potentially fit into the goggles as I want these to pack as many functions as possible! Right now I have the following ideas:
- binoculars (with zoom)
- magnifying glass (with zoom)
- sunglasses
- welding/protective lenses
I did concider something like infrared as well, but after looking into that I have decided that it's probably too complicated rule-wise. As a gnome I already have dark vision, so I won't need that.
Non-magic ideas are preferable but all suggestions are welcome:)

Thanks in advance for your input!

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-01, 02:01 PM
May not be what you are going for, but perhaps a chelsea filter (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_filter)? It probably won't come up often but I think a tinker might consider needing to distinguish between glass and certain gemstones, even if only as a hobby.

Hellstick
2017-06-01, 02:04 PM
That's a great idea! I'll add it to my list instantly! I'm gonna make some fortunate glass blowers or jewelcrafters rich (whatever artisan that creates lenses) with all the lenses I'm gonna need:p

Specter
2017-06-01, 10:12 PM
You could create a revolving-goggle system like a tiara, where you change between one and the other by spinning them, maybe?

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-01, 10:26 PM
A magical idea is that you get lenses that make it look like you are awake despite taking a quick nap. Perhaps the fact that it is quite limited in its application will help get it by the DM, and gnomes are natural illusionists.

Afrodactyl
2017-06-01, 10:42 PM
Your infra-red lenses could just be an extended range darkvision as opposed to anything else.

scalyfreak
2017-06-02, 12:16 AM
Your infra-red lenses could just be an extended range darkvision as opposed to anything else.

...which you can sell to human adventurers if you ever find yourself in need of extra income.

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-02, 12:18 AM

Or it could be plasusible denailabity that the goggles are yours...Just in case. What would a gnome need with goggles that allow him to see in the dark, constable? No, no, those aren't mine, I suppose some HUMAN did the deed, such a shame...

Hellstick
2017-06-02, 05:07 PM

I was thinking more in terms of seeing heat patterns. But it simply raises too many questions about game mechanics and probably isn't really in the spirit of the game. Someone trying to ambush the party from behind that tree? His body heat would colour the air around his hiding spot in a orange/yellow colour and reveal his location. Ranger trying to track someone? Why not help him out by literally being able to see the footprints glow in a warmer colour than the surroundings (although this ofcourse depends on WHEN the character that is being tracked left the location). And so on and so forth. Improving my dark vision though... that's not a bad idea!
And I also quite like the idea about having lenses that makes it look like I'm awake even though I'm sleeping.
Truly appreciate the help :)

Sigreid
2017-06-02, 05:42 PM
I was thinking more in terms of seeing heat patterns. But it simply raises too many questions about game mechanics and probably isn't really in the spirit of the game. Someone trying to ambush the party from behind that tree? His body heat would colour the air around his hiding spot in a orange/yellow colour and reveal his location. Ranger trying to track someone? Why not help him out by literally being able to see the footprints glow in a warmer colour than the surroundings (although this ofcourse depends on WHEN the character that is being tracked left the location). And so on and so forth. Improving my dark vision though... that's not a bad idea!
And I also quite like the idea about having lenses that makes it look like I'm awake even though I'm sleeping.
Truly appreciate the help :)

I would handle IR as blind sense. Not refined enough to call it vision really, but good enough to let you know when something is there. i.e. you can tell it's a person but you'd not be able to tell who, or even race or male or female later.

Hellstick
2017-06-05, 04:18 PM
I suppose there is multiple ways to tackle Infrared. I guess I'll just have to ask me GM. In the meantime I highly reccomend the article written by Sean K Reynolds called "Infravision and Why It Should Be Destroyed" that raises a lot of valid questions on the topic. I realize that it might be biased, but i still think it's very interesting!:)
I would link it, but my post count isn't high enough to post links:/