PDA

View Full Version : Player Help help with wizard buld

Baby Gary
2017-06-01, 05:32 PM
Hi All,

I need some help building a wizard.

I am trying to build a illusion/debuff/buff (don't know what schools buff/debuff are) wizard. and of course spontaneous divination at level 5. also this character need to be playable at level 3-20.

What are some good feats/items/spell/ACF/templates/races/PRCs that would help the build?

A couple prerequs on the race: needs to be an elf or lesser planetouched.

Also not a ton of optimizing, no game breaking stuff (cause this is a wizard no purposeful game breaking stuff) just minor-medium optimization (cheddar is ok but cheese fondue is not).

Gildedragon
2017-06-01, 05:47 PM
Most buffs are Transmutation
If elf is a must: I suggest Elven Generalist + Domain Wizard
Check out the Guide to Being God; that one has a pretty strong buff/debuff/battlefield control focus to playing a wizard
If buffing is your thing: War Weaver is a strong class; pair it with Spellguard for excellent party helping (ask your DM if spellguard lvl 1 can be ditched: it is a FR specific benefit that one)

Baby Gary
2017-06-01, 07:32 PM
can you give me a link to being a god?

Gildedragon
2017-06-01, 08:18 PM
can you give me a link to being a god?

here's a link (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.0) to the guide

flappeercraft
2017-06-01, 08:29 PM
A big part of debuffs are from Necromancy school, followed by possibly enchantment.

Eldariel
2017-06-02, 01:19 AM
A big part of debuffs are from Necromancy school, followed by possibly enchantment.

Conjuration and Transmutation have the likes of Grease/Glitterdust/Pyrotechnics/Web/Stinking Cloud/Slow/Solid Fog/Black Tentacles/etc. which are great debuffs and AOE to boot. I'd vote for those for a debuffer.

Lazymancer
2017-06-02, 02:32 AM
EDIT: mispost replaced by actual post.

My gf is hopping in a game as an on again off again pc. She is dead set on playing a tiefling. Her race is la 1 and we are starting lvl 5. What build should i go with here. We 'play at my house and im whipped like a wagon horse. Her idea is a utility wizard. Prestige and feat suggestions please to allow her to be awesome.
I'd go Lesser Tiefling (PGtF) to get rid of LA. Even if being Outsider is important, there is Otherworldly feat that gives "Outsider" type back (though there is a need to get GM approval, since RAW it's for Imaskari/Elves).

I need to make a small handbook "Generic Wizard advice for noobs".

ACF: Domain Wizard (UA), then Spontaneous Divinations (CC) at 5th level.

Feats: Uncanny Forethought (EoE) - with Spell Mastery as pre-requisite.
If retraining is allowed - Alacritous Cogitation (CM) until 9th level and then retrain it to Spell Mastery to take Uncanny Forethought (EoE) for 9th level feat. Also, don't forget: Spell Mastery can be re-trained to include new/more spels.

Items: Belt of Healing, one or two 1st-level Pearls of Power;
Metamagic Rods - Lesser Extend and Lesser Chaining (MIC).

If possible, get Aureon's Spellshard (ECS) by level 7. If it doesn't exist - Blessed Book by level 9. Note that old spellbook could be sold for cash (to buy more spells, obviously).

Somewhat questionable optimization (~20% chance of book-to-the-head): get two gauntlets (if you'd were Factotum - one cold iron, the other silvered; but that's irrelevant to Wizard) and add Wand Chamber (Ds) to each - you are always wielding two wands now. Personal suggestion: Nerveskitter and Expeditious Retreat, Swift - you can never have too much of either (note that activating wand takes the same amount of time as casting actual spell; so - immediate/swift). Shock and Awe is also good, but Wizard has no business being anywhere near opponents. If someone didn't take Spontaneous Divinations: Arrow Mind and True Casting could also be of use.

Prestige: Mage of the Arcane Order (CA), unless you know what you are doing.
There are better options, but all depend on specifics. Eidetic Wizards would want 2 levels of Geometer (CA), if page reduction is applied to their spells; Illusionists - one level of Nightmare Spinner (CM); Diviners - 4 levels of Divine Oracle; Buffers - War Weaver (HoB), and so on.