PDA

View Full Version : Dragon in human form

Style
2007-08-03, 08:09 AM
can a dragon forgot that he is a dragon in the human form?

(sorry 4 the grammar.... im italian)

(1° thread)

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-03, 08:11 AM
Probably there's some kind of magic like that.

If not pretend like there is :P

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-08-03, 08:11 AM
If subjected to powerful (likely artifact-level) magic, I'm sure that can happen.

rollfrenzy
2007-08-03, 08:12 AM
Sure, Dragons have personalities and such just like humans. A drgaon that has spent a long time in human form or suffered a spell attack, or some trauma, could certainly forget.

Cool idea. Can I ask what you are planning?

Style
2007-08-03, 08:13 AM
i mean like an amnesia....

im planning to do a npc to help my friends in a campaign, and reveal at the end the identity of this npc

mostlyharmful
2007-08-03, 08:14 AM
the specis that get change shape as a supernatural ability don't need to concentrate on it and there is no time limit so any mind affecting magic that screws with the memory (or even mundane amnesia thats srong enough to affect a high wis Dragon) can wipe out a dragons sense of self and dragon-ness.

kpenguin
2007-08-03, 08:22 AM
i mean like an amnesia....

im planning to do a npc to help my friends in a campaign, and reveal at the end the identity of this npc

Sounds familiar. I think that this is similar to one of the characters from the DragonCrown War Cycle, yes?

Kaelaroth
2007-08-03, 08:35 AM
Easy.
If a high level caster grabs him - he could completely wipe his memory of dragonish power with a programmed amnesia spell. And in the same casting, can create an entire set of new, human, memories.

Although, there may be limits to what it works on. Have a check. :smallsmile:

Style
2007-08-03, 08:53 AM
Sounds familiar. I think that this is similar to one of the characters from the DragonCrown War Cycle, yes?

sorry but, ive no idea what u speaking of....:smalltongue:

however im thinking about a tower falls in dragons head in the human form, he no die but dont remember he was a dragon. (if i continue in this way i can beat tolkien :smallbiggrin: )

Everyman
2007-08-03, 09:22 AM
Reach for the stars, Style.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.:smallsmile:

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-08-03, 09:26 AM
What you have would work just fine given a change shape ability without duration as mentioned above.

MrNexx
2007-08-03, 02:25 PM

Actually, something similar to this was used in the Dragonlance novel "The Minotaurs" by Richard A. Knaak. In it, Kaz (somewhat of an Ansalonian Drizz't; a member of a usually evil race who's turned good) encounters a young elf(?) girl. Turns out, at the end of the novel, that she's a silver dragon that managed to remain behind when Paladine and Takhisis called all the dragons away from the realms of mortals.

To the original post, yes, it would work. As for not being skilled in English, practice will help that a lot. Meine Deutsch ist sehr schlect, aber with practice I get a little better... when I practice. Put your location in your profile, though, so it displays with your posts; that tends to give people more patience for mis-phrasings; they are more likely to ask "Can you try saying that a different way" than "What's wrong with you?"

Roderick_BR
2007-08-03, 03:30 PM
For RP purposes, sure. He may have just forgotten (these silly dragons) or be victim of a powerful spell.

There's a manga I read once, where a dragon wanted to become a human forever, and as part of the spell to keep it's shape, it forgot it's origin completely. The spell that kept it's new form was used on a magic item, because the wizard didn't have enough power to permanently change it.
When the pendant was removed, all hell went loose :smallamused:

PinkysBrain
2007-08-03, 03:33 PM
Unless you houserule they retain a lot of abilities, even if the active ones could be forgotten you are still stuck with the passive ones. Among other things they will stand out because of their Hitpoints, Saves, Type, Immunities, DR, SR, Blind Sense and keen senses (ie. darkvision).

Even if most of that can be shoved under the rug as being lucky/hardy the blind sense and darkvision pretty much scream "I'm not a normal human". Anyone with some knowledge arcane who observed him for a while would figure out what he really was IMO.

Fhaolan
2007-08-03, 04:53 PM
Even if most of that can be shoved under the rug as being lucky/hardy the blind sense and darkvision pretty much scream "I'm not a normal human". Anyone with some knowledge arcane who observed him for a while would figure out what he really was IMO.

Good reason for making him/her resemble a tiefling or aasimar or something else sufficiently strange and non-human, before getting the amnesia, I would say. Harder to detect.

UserClone
2007-08-03, 05:43 PM
I think that's a great idea, style! I love the idea of thinking of bonking the dragon human with something that should smush him, and instead he only forgets he's a dragon. I have two questions though.

-The first is, does he remember being bonked on the head with a tower?...because if he does, that will likely confirm him as something other than human/tiefling.
-The second question is for MostlyHarmful...Gnomes have dignity?:smallwink:

mostlyharmful
2007-08-03, 05:52 PM
Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder, and YOU sir can just stare that beholder out!!!

Gnomes are the race that makes sense given a long life expectancy and a healthy magical propensity, just hide and try for a normal life, experiment with stuff that intersts you but DONT try for power as it will rebound on you and those you love. What seems undignified, its only when you get short lived six footers that questions of overlong names come into play, GNOMES ROCK and you know it!!!!:smallcool:

UserClone
2007-08-03, 08:04 PM
*pats MostlyHarmful on the head*
Yeah. They rock. Lots. If you like. :elan:

Curmudgeon
2007-08-03, 09:25 PM
If this character has almost exclusively been in human form, a few Modify Memory spells can wrap those few dragon form memories with a "dream" so he'll think he just had a recurring dream of being a dragon, years ago when he was a child. Maybe throw in a "dream" of being a pink elephant, just for kicks obfuscation.

Modify Memory can also eliminate any memory of how to go about changing form. I assume changing form is like walking. Everybody can do it, but everybody has to learn how.

Arbitrarity
2007-08-03, 09:28 PM
Programmed amnesia > modify memory.
:smallbiggrin: