PDA

View Full Version : Moonbeam - clarification needed

Specter
2017-06-01, 07:50 PM
A shapechanger hit by Moonbeam saves with disadvantage, and on a failure returns to its original form. I believe it was meant for werewolves and similar monsters.

But then it got me thinking what exactly 'shapechanger' means. Could it be a druid in wildshape? Someone using Alter Self, or even Enlarge?

SilverStud
2017-06-01, 08:46 PM
As a DM, I rule that the text means creatures with "shapechanger" as their type, and so limit the spell to affecting those. The only exception is druids. I do rule that druids count as shapechangers for the purposes of this spell. Hope this helps!

suplee215
2017-06-01, 08:47 PM
RAW Shapeshifter is a creature type and will only affect creatures with that.

lunaticfringe
2017-06-01, 08:53 PM
I'm going with it only affects the Shapechanger tag because that is RAW & innate, everything else is learned. I might be willing to budge if you present a compelling argument but that is houseruling.

Specter
2017-06-02, 10:48 AM
Yeah, but what I find interesting is that it's not worded 'a creature with the shapechanger type', but 'a shapechanger' in general. Definitely open to interpretation.

Tetrasodium
2017-06-02, 11:04 AM
Look at doppelganger on mm63 as an example type: Medium monstrosity (shapechanger), neutral. Or MM211 werewolf type: Medium humanoid (human, shapechanger), chaotic evil.

Shapechanger is a specific (sub)type of creature like giant, dragon, humanoid, etc.

Yeah, but what I find interesting is that it's not worded 'a creature with the shapechanger type', but 'a shapechanger' in general. Definitely open to interpretation.

not really, there are tons of spells that target humanoids without saying type & just say "a humanoid"