PDA

View Full Version : You Get Thrown Into D&D With One Item or Skill.

8BitNinja
2017-06-01, 07:50 PM
So a while ago (as in about 3-4 months ago) I finished watching an anime known by the name KonoSuba. In it, people who died in our world are offered a chance to go into an MMO-esque world and are allowed to bring one item/skill.

So I was wondering "If people here were put into a D&D setting from a similar situation, what would they bring?"

Assumptions:
- You enter the world with the clothes on your back.
- You retain your age, memories, and body condition you had before death. Stats would be based on actual physical and mental ability
- You are human
- You receive all abilities that come with your chosen class (EX: Wizards wouldn't have to commit to years of study to learn spells, but follow the same class rules for learning spells)
- You level like you do in D&D.
- You have a character sheet to keep track of your own progress and status.
- You are dropped into a town with other willing adventurers

Rules
- The item can be from anything, as long as it is tangible
- If a ranged weapon is chosen, only the amount of ammo that can normally be stored in it is brought with you
- If you say gold, that means one gold piece
- You are only as proficient with a weapon as you are worth it now
- If a skill is chosen, it would be the equivalent to having 20 ranks in said skill
- Batteries are included with electronic devices, but only one set.

I'll go first.

I would take a +20 Holy Blazing Longsword. Everyone knows how powerful those are, so it should need no explanation.

JNAProductions
2017-06-01, 08:14 PM
A Tattoo Of Infinite Wishes.

Want to put any restrictions on this?

Durkoala
2017-06-01, 08:22 PM
What happens if you lose or alter your character sheet?

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-01, 08:29 PM
Does the Universe count as an item? I mean, if Takhisis can steal an entire world, why can't I? I'd say the world is pretty tangible overall.

lunaticfringe
2017-06-01, 08:37 PM
The Ring of Winter, I'm not really that much of a **** so immortality self healing and green lantern style ice powers in a pinch sound lovely.

Quertus
2017-06-01, 09:09 PM
Ummm... There's a lot of possibilities here. I'd want to know a bunch more rules before committing.

My first thought was, yeah, are there any limits to this? Because I know some completely game-breaking items. And I'd also want to know just how broken the world is already before I get there.

So, the easiest answer, which really skirts the intended question, is one of several items which would directly or indirectly get me out of Dodge, and to a reality which is less broken, and, ideally, has high-level / high power people who will help me. Per my responses in other threads, I'd likely use one of several ways to meet up with and apprentice under my signature character, Quertus, for whom this account is named.

And, given the premise of this thread, I'd also skirt the premise, and get Quertus' help to get a new body out of the deal.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-06-01, 09:10 PM
Take a Candle of Invocation or Ring of Three Wishes and start Wish-looping my way to godhood?

Or if I was to take a skill, I guess Profession (Scribe) or something safe like that. 20 ranks would be enough to make 60 gold/month; according to the DMG, that's somewhere between a Common and a Good lifestyle. I don't want to go adventuring and die.

Jay R
2017-06-01, 09:27 PM
Take a Candle of Invocation or Ring of Three Wishes and start Wish-looping my way to godhood?

Does any DM anywhere actually allow wish-looping to work?

RazorChain
2017-06-01, 09:45 PM
I'd take the skill Chemistry

Hello Gunpowder and Gasoline!

Twizzly513
2017-06-01, 09:50 PM
I'd take 20 ranks in persuasion/diplomacy.

I don't need to fight anyone. We can all just chill in the tavern or something.

Quertus
2017-06-01, 09:54 PM
Sticking closer to the thread's premise, here are a few ideas (assume 3e wizard level 1 unless otherwise noted):

Staff of the Wild Magi. I'd take my first level in 2e Wild Mage, full Skills & Powers cheese. This staff is useless to anyone who isn't a wild mage, so there's no point in killing me to take it, but higher level adventurers may now have some impetus to keep me around and alive. Pity I'd level so incredibly slowly, going by 2e rules.

Ring of NI wishes. A custom item that, worse than not working, would be a Monkey's Paw to benefit me if stolen, this item actually had almost no power - it actually functions by contacting a very powerful entity and requesting their aid.

The Invulnerable Coat of Arnd A 2e artifact that says I can't be hurt. As it's Full Plate Mail, being a wizard may be a sub-optimal choice... perhaps 3e Cleric of an ideal?

Armus' Polyhedron Gateway. Ok, this only lets me get out of Dodge instantly, not really following the theme of the thread. Still, a custom 2e Cubic Gate with as many custom options and tricks as this sucker had wouldn't be horrible.

Cain's Blood Because instantly becoming an Antedeluvian sounds cool on paper, and I'm already dead.

Vorlon Destroyer. A single-pilot, adapting, regenerating space ship? Um, yes please. I should be able to power level quite safely in no time with this sucker, even if there aren't level-appropriate MMORPG-style "zones".

Book of INFINITE spells. Very custom item. Cast whatever spell I want, at will? Yeah, after a new body, and +5 inherent bonus to all stats, what next?

Mana Matrix. Another custom item, that works somewhat like a Ring of Spell Storing on steroids, crossed with the Magus of the Arcane Order spell pool. Simply put, anyone I allow can store spells in the matrix, and recover 1/3rd that many spell levels later of any spell stored within (give or take permissions). Send like a good way to ensure indispensability. Bonus points if it comes with spells already in it.

But, honestly, even sticking with the theme of the thread, I know quite a few, even more powerful options. What I can't remember is a published item to let me skip straight to divinity, which would be nice.

oxybe
2017-06-01, 10:49 PM
There's basically only one option:

The Universe I'm going into's Completed Infinity Gauntlet (of marvel lore (http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Infinity_Gauntlet_(Item))). Because nothing says "one item" like a really, really, stupidly broken one.

Step 1 is "be wizard"
Step 2 is "use Infinity Gauntlet to power level"
Step 3 is "power level with Gauntlet until stupid powerful"

Then it's off to become a misanthrope and seclude oneself and never have to deal with people ever again unless it's on my terms.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-06-02, 01:52 AM
I think the show's protagonist had the right idea. I ask for Elminster.

If cheats like that won't pass, how about 20 ranks in Bluff or Knowledge (Local)? I'm either ridiculously good at lying or know basically everything about everyone.

Dappershire
2017-06-02, 02:17 AM
I think the show's protagonist had the right idea. I ask for Sune.

If cheats like that won't pass, how about 20 ranks in Bluff or Knowledge (Local)? I'm either ridiculously good at lying or know basically everything about everyone.

Fixed that for ya. Elm's already got a boy toy, and that kid's secretly a prince. I think a major Goddess is a better choice. Even if in Avatar form (hopefully you're not said avatar in this case. Unless youre into that. In which case I'd rather have Mask throwing his power and mind inside me.)

Rynjin
2017-06-02, 02:23 AM

The Universe I'm going into's Completed Infinity Gauntlet (of marvel lore (http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Infinity_Gauntlet_(Item))). Because nothing says "one item" like a really, really, stupidly broken one.

Step 1 is "be wizard"
Step 2 is "use Infinity Gauntlet to power level"
Step 3 is "power level with Gauntlet until stupid powerful"

Then it's off to become a misanthrope and seclude oneself and never have to deal with people ever again unless it's on my terms.

You get the Infinity Gauntlet.

It's useless without the gems, which are six other, completely separate items. The Gauntlet's just a fancy display case for them you wear on your hand.

20 ranks in Diplomacy is the best starter. That's basically at-will, no save Dominate Monster without any of the negative side effects by D&D logic.

I can get anything else I want from there.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-02, 03:29 AM
If we limit the skill to 20 ranks (a far cry from epic uses like balancing on clouds, which are usually far inferior to common wizard spells), why not put a limit on the item as well?

I suggest the completely arbitrary limit of a cost of 33.000GP, enough to cover the cost of a +5 magical weapon (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Magic_Weapons), or a ring (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Rings) of for instance invisibility or protection +4, while not being enough to get any item that can cast wish (I think those start at 40.000 for a single unlimited wish).

I'd also like to suggest the option of spell like abilities from any spell list as an alternative to skills and items, ones a day up to level 6 (mass suggestion, mass bull's strength, flesh to stone, greater heroism), hourly up to level 3 (hold person, fireball) or at will up to level 1 (grease, obscuring mist), provided it's not a healing or fabricating spell or something like floating disk where you can get something really big by casting it every six seconds.

And let's thrown any single class feature/ability of level 5 or lower in the mix as well, because a familiar or wild shape 1/day is pretty cool.

Given those options, would your answers be very different?

oxybe
2017-06-02, 03:30 AM

It's useless without the gems, which are six other, completely separate items. The Gauntlet's just a fancy display case for them you wear on your hand.

20 ranks in Diplomacy is the best starter. That's basically at-will, no save Dominate Monster without any of the negative side effects by D&D logic.

I can get anything else I want from there.

Sorry, but (3.5) diplomacy is used to alter attitudes on NPCs.

And since NPCs and PCs are strictly a metagame concept whereas we're to assume the world treats others as humans... well, good luck with your 20 ranks in a skill that applies to nothing, i guess?

Thaneus
2017-06-02, 05:16 AM
Its rather simple.
I want the ability to steal the main trait/skill/ability of each defeated enemy.

Start hoarding skills, EX and SU ability from low level monster and then kill my way up the food-chain.

there is a reason ilithid savant is the strongest class :P

Quertus
2017-06-02, 05:18 AM

The Universe I'm going into's Completed Infinity Gauntlet

Yeah, I considered this one. Given that asking for gold gets you a single gold piece, I figured this was a bad plan.

Heck, even if it worked, the Infinity Gauntlet messes with the users mind / dives the user insane. So... no.

Your better bet would be whatever device the Magus built to safely control the Cosmic Cubes... but that, obviously, runs the same risk of being empty. But at least you'd get a (cool?) house out of the deal.

I think the show's protagonist had the right idea. I ask for Elminster.

The protagonist asked for a person? I'd considered that, but figured it wouldn't fly.

And Elminster is an idiot. Seriously, what mage a) tells the party not to help him fight a Beholder, then b) casts flight to go face it and it's anti-magic ray c) in a really deep shaft? Answer: a dead one.

I'll take Quertus, thanks. At least he's only tactically inept, not a suicidally brave show off to boot.

oxybe
2017-06-02, 06:42 AM
in Konosuba, the main outline is as such:

-Shut-in nerd leaves house to buy game in early morning after pulling an all nighter
-Sees Schoolgirl-chan going to get hit by honorable Truck-Sama, pushes her out of the way and dies
-meets with a goddess who tells him he can reincanate his soul back to earth or get tossed into a McFantasyworld with a special thingydoodle
-Nerd agrees
-while he's picking, she admits that
A) the girl was in no danger, it was a slow moving tractor she could have easily avoided
B) he didn't die by getting hit, he died from a heart attack due to having stayed up for so long, hallucinated a truck and got too excited
C) he did number 1 and number 2 as he died and everyone, parents included, laughed
-Nerd gets annoyed with goddess's attitude and picks her as his one doodlehopper
-Hilarity ensues as the MC is basically just a schmuck with slightly above average luck stats and has to save the world if he wants to go back to earth, though he is more then willing to play dirty to win and on the outset it seems like he gets the ideal party but each of the 3 members are... flawed. the Goddess is a selfish ***** of a healer. the tank is all defense, no offense and is a masochist (to everyone's chagrin) and the archmage can cast the equivalent of meteor swarm (the only spell she knows) once and only once per day, then passes out from exhaustion.

While the show has the underpinnings of poking fun at the "isekai" novels, the "reincarnated in another world" as well as the fantasy and videogame tropes that are often seen in that type of story that exploded in popularity these last few years in japan, it's humour ends up being funny in the Seinfeild fashion: It's a show about nothing (the setup is really just there to throw our characters together: they do make some headway towards beating the demon king, but it's more out of a fluke then anything else), the main cast are all horrible people, but they do legit care about each other in a weird way, so while we laugh when they get their comeuppance (everyone eats well-deserved crow in this show) and cheer when they win. They're all lovable, if slightly horrible, idiots.

YMMV on the animation, but from what I heard the lead animator basically told his crew that they don't need to stick to model (http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/223/243/59b.gif) if it would make for a better scene (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ad/6a/76/ad6a76202b17a430c3f259996113b915.gif) (that's our goddess, Aqua, BTW). And I love that. The artists are mote then happy to exaggerate, squash and stretch the characters for the sake of getting a laugh.

that and the explosions (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Xk8Qp3OhpwY/V1n_Bi-Z-1I/AAAAAAAAAFE/TUnrN4Th1UUXBPA6Ouf2uB1rp997okM_A/w800-h800/Megumin.gif) are glorious (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2k-DXm9siw) (that last one is a bit of a spoiler since it's end of season 2 climax type of dealy-o).Legitimately one of the better shows to come out of anime in a long time. It has 2 10 episode seasons so it's not a hard thing to watch in a few sittings.

ElChad
2017-06-02, 06:52 AM
Ring of Sustenance. In a strange land with unfamiliar food, places and people, with dangers and evil races everywhere, it would be good to not worry about starvation, dehydration or lack of sleep.

Fable Wright
2017-06-02, 07:16 AM
I would dispute that the item needs to be tangible, and go for a Sidereal Exaltation. Ridiculously fast training times, Exalted healing, Excellencies for the I Win potential, etc. are all amazing abilities to have in their own right. Couple that with the ridiculous power they develop down the line, and you have something amazing—but the really, really useful thing is the ability to go marching right back to the Celestial Bureaucracy that sent you to your planet, talk to the deities involved as an equal, and learn what is actually going on and get that all sorted out.

Quertus
2017-06-02, 07:20 AM
I would dispute that the item needs to be tangible, and go for a Sidereal Exaltation. Ridiculously fast training times, Exalted healing, Excellencies for the I Win potential, etc. are all amazing abilities to have in their own right. Couple that with the ridiculous power they develop down the line, and you have something amazing—but the really, really useful thing is the ability to go marching right back to the Celestial Bureaucracy that sent you to your planet, talk to the deities involved as an equal, and learn what is actually going on and get that all sorted out.

What cool abilities do Sidereals get to make this a good choice?

Also, I expect a 3e character to level much, much faster than you. Just saying.

EDIT: given the abyssal/infernal origin story, I suspect you could argue for exalts being tangible.

Corsair14
2017-06-02, 07:38 AM
You guys go off and do adventuring. I am going to use my real world skills and open up a jewelry crafting shop with my Torch of Infinite Acetylene. As for adding a new skill, Ill take Mining for +20.

Fable Wright
2017-06-02, 07:44 AM
What cool abilities do Sidereals get to make this a good choice?

Also, I expect a 3e character to level much, much faster than you. Just saying.

I was under the assumption that I was aiming for a 3e Sidereal Exaltation. Faster leveling seems to come with the exaltation, which is one of the reasons why I'd aim for it.

As for why Sidereal over Solar? Primarily, Avoidance Kata, Duck Fate, and Efficient Secretary Technique. Avoidance Kata gets you out of a situation and into any other situation, granting a ridiculous amount of mobility, getting out of bad situations before you get shafted, and severely cutting down on travel times. Efficient Secretary Technique hasn't been confirmed in 3e, but it's quite likely as it has been a staple in other editions. And... well, it's really useful for information gathering. "Where is the Demon King's Army at the moment?" "What customs are expected of visitors in this area?" "What are the three primary dangers of the Fire Swamp?" "What is the proper way to treat bites from Rodents of Unusual Size?" "What is the nearest location to me where I can find {X} herb?"

Duck Fate, of course, speaks for itself. No-selling literally anything you don't want is always amazing.

But, yeah. The ability to know what you're getting yourself into, get into or out of any situation, and the power to interface with any given Celestial Bureaucracy are the three cool abilities that Siddies get that sell me on this course of action. Access to Neighborhood Relocation Scheme and similar things doesn't hurt, of course, but those are the three big things.

Lazymancer
2017-06-02, 08:27 AM
You guys go off and do adventuring. I am going to use my real world skills and open up a jewelry crafting shop with my Torch of Infinite Acetylene. As for adding a new skill, Ill take Mining for +20.
Roll saving throw against shakedown.

Pilo
2017-06-02, 08:41 AM
Well if I have to pick a skill, it would be easy, rich of the knowledge about all you can do with the basket weaving craft skill, i'll pick Profession(King), the rest will follow as my people will provide.

solidork
2017-06-02, 09:44 AM
Mastery of Life (Mage: the Awakening) - I need something to get around the fact that I wouldn't last long without modern medicine. Functional immortality, shapeshifting and the ability to instakill any living creature are nice too. I could go with Archmastery, but I figure that if you can fight a god, you probably will end up having to.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-02, 10:01 AM
Well if I have to pick a skill, it would be easy, rich of the knowledge about all you can do with the basket weaving craft skill, i'll pick Profession(King), the rest will follow as my people will provide.

That begs an interesting question: if you were absolutely the best person in the land to be king, how for along could you get to actually becoming any kind of ruler or adviser? After all, you're getting a skill, not a country.

(Also, you're not getting anything covered by other skills. There is no profession soldier you can take to become a good fighter...)

Corsair14
2017-06-02, 10:22 AM
Roll saving throw against shakedown.

Didn't say I didn't have a good skill set outside crafting. I do armored combat for fun in real life and know basic hand to hand and am decent at knife and axe throwing.

Lazymancer
2017-06-02, 10:47 AM
Didn't say I didn't have a good skill set outside crafting. I do armored combat for fun in real life and know basic hand to hand and am decent at knife and axe throwing.
So you'll be doing urban adventuring - is that what you are saying?

Quertus
2017-06-02, 11:48 AM
If you can get each of 5 friends to take a different Infinity Gem, I suppose you could get together in this afterlife and recreate the Infinity Gauntlet. But that seems like a bad plan on so many levels.

Also, individually, most of the gems are rather weak.

Staff of the Wild Magi. I'd take my first level in 2e Wild Mage, full Skills & Powers cheese. This staff is useless to anyone who isn't a wild mage, so there's no point in killing me to take it, but higher level adventurers may now have some impetus to keep me around and alive. Pity I'd level so incredibly slowly, going by 2e rules.

Right, UMD is a thing. Never mind, this item isn't a good choice, then, aside from whose attention it would attract if I got the real thing, and not just a copy.

If we limit the skill to 20 ranks (a far cry from epic uses like balancing on clouds, which are usually far inferior to common wizard spells), why not put a limit on the item as well?

I suggest the completely arbitrary limit of a cost of 33.000GP, enough to cover the cost of a +5 magical weapon (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Magic_Weapons), or a ring (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Rings) of for instance invisibility or protection +4, while not being enough to get any item that can cast wish (I think those start at 40.000 for a single unlimited wish).

I'd also like to suggest the option of spell like abilities from any spell list as an alternative to skills and items, ones a day up to level 6 (mass suggestion, mass bull's strength, flesh to stone, greater heroism), hourly up to level 3 (hold person, fireball) or at will up to level 1 (grease, obscuring mist), provided it's not a healing or fabricating spell or something like floating disk where you can get something really big by casting it every six seconds.

For spell, at will Nahal's Reckless Dwoemer. Done.

For item... man, that's an odd price point. A +6 stat booster clocks in at 36k, so we can't just take the easy way out. A Cubic Gate costs 156k, 1/6 of which is 26k. Not horrible for teleporting around the world, getting back if trapped on another plane, etc.

And here I thought whoever came up with the idea of taking Progression(Gigolo) was clever.

So glad I didn't take a moon-sized flying diamond castle as my one item!

2D8HP
2017-06-02, 12:03 PM

I'd take performance and woodcarving, or bring dice, and stay in the tavern playing D&D:

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/tabletop_roleplaying.png

Lord Torath
2017-06-02, 01:02 PM
Do I get to pick a class and bring an object? If so, I'll take Wild Mage (2E) and a full Deck of Many Things (Beneficial and Baneful).

Can I bring a Spelljammer? I think a Dragonfly would be a lot of fun! I'd pick probably Bard as a class for rapid ship speed progression and a pretty good THAC0 progression as well. The dragonfly is a 10-ton ship - relatively small, but still big enough to move a lot of cargo/stage-hands/roadies/pub snacks.

Here's a pic: Silverblade's model Dragonfly (https://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/wip---dragonfly-glass-render-/2005674/?p)
And another (https://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/spelljammer---swamp-trade/2358167/?p).
Heck, have a whole gallery full of them: Silverblade33's Gallery (https://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/?uid=7541)

khadgar567
2017-06-02, 01:31 PM
Well some one with no skills then my choice probably something sage like eternal wand of dominate monster

Nupo
2017-06-02, 01:32 PM
Dorothy's ruby slippers

Quertus
2017-06-02, 01:57 PM
Do I get to pick a class and bring an object? If so, I'll take Wild Mage (2E) and a full Deck of Many Things (Beneficial and Baneful).

This is a winning combination. Kudos!

Squiddish
2017-06-02, 02:25 PM
Staff of the Magi (5e)

What does 20 ranks in a skill mean?

Kantaki
2017-06-02, 02:33 PM
Huh.
Tricky question.
I think I would either go for the Goro Goro no Mi or the Tori Tori no Mi (Model: Phoenix).

But as sweet as turning into a regenerating bird that's fire sounds, I think I would prefer the sheer destructiveness (and invulnerably-cheat) of a Logia*.

So I guess my pick would be the Goro Goro no Mi.
Hopefully without the god-complex...:smallbiggrin:
Because frying everything with lightning sounds like a fun way to deal with the usual adventuring hazards.:smallcool:

*Okay, there are drawbacks, but I wasn't planning to go for a swim anyway.:smalltongue:

Aliquid
2017-06-02, 02:37 PM

I don't need to fight anyone. We can all just chill in the tavern or something.I'm thinking along these lines. I don't want to be an adventurer. I would be scared, and I have no desire to kill things. Plus I would hate sleeping on the ground... no running water... etc etc.

If I could pull off some sort of successful NPC 'expert' role in an urban area of a well established kingdom that has a low risk of invasion, I might work with that. Something low profile enough to not have assassins or evil plots laid against me, but high enough to enjoy life.

Dorothy's ruby slippersNow that's the best idea yet.

8BitNinja
2017-06-02, 10:26 PM
What happens if you lose or alter your character sheet?

You cannot. The character sheet appears and disappears when needed and cannot be altered by any means, physical or magical. It's not like a thermostat like it is in real life, but more like a thermometer.

Does the Universe count as an item? I mean, if Takhisis can steal an entire world, why can't I? I'd say the world is pretty tangible overall.

No, the universe counts as a place.

Ummm... There's a lot of possibilities here. I'd want to know a bunch more rules before committing.

My first thought was, yeah, are there any limits to this? Because I know some completely game-breaking items. And I'd also want to know just how broken the world is already before I get there.

So, the easiest answer, which really skirts the intended question, is one of several items which would directly or indirectly get me out of Dodge, and to a reality which is less broken, and, ideally, has high-level / high power people who will help me. Per my responses in other threads, I'd likely use one of several ways to meet up with and apprentice under my signature character, Quertus, for whom this account is named.

And, given the premise of this thread, I'd also skirt the premise, and get Quertus' help to get a new body out of the deal.

As long as it is only one item from literally anything and you have the skill and knowledge to use it, you can have it.

8BitNinja
2017-06-02, 10:28 PM

Can I bring a Spelljammer? I think a Dragonfly would be a lot of fun! I'd pick probably Bard as a class for rapid ship speed progression and a pretty good THAC0 progression as well. The dragonfly is a 10-ton ship - relatively small, but still big enough to move a lot of cargo/stage-hands/roadies/pub snacks.

Here's a pic: Silverblade's model Dragonfly (https://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/wip---dragonfly-glass-render-/2005674/?p)
And another (https://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/spelljammer---swamp-trade/2358167/?p).
Heck, have a whole gallery full of them: Silverblade33's Gallery (https://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/?uid=7541)

Yes , you get any class you want, just like in D&D. However, unless you get an item that changed your biology to another race, you are still human.

Quertus
2017-06-03, 08:34 AM
As long as it is only one item from literally anything and you have the skill and knowledge to use it, you can have it.

Wait, it won't let me take a tank, and learn how to drive it?

Also, in the anime, what did taking a person do? How much control over their actions did you have? Because I'm wondering how this would work with potentially hostile entities...

EDIT: healing, right. Hmmm... I may go for half level Wizard, half level Crusader to start, in some cases, then.

Is it even possible to be "resurrected" or plane travel from this world back to Life?

Jay R
2017-06-03, 09:39 AM
Dorothy's ruby slippers

Absolutely correct.

Some of a D&D world isn't very nice, but most of it is beautiful--but just the same all I would keep saying to everybody would be "I want to go home!"

This is my world, and you're all here and I'm not going to leave here ever, ever again. Because I love you all. And... Oh, and ... DM, there's no place like home!

8BitNinja
2017-06-03, 11:14 AM
Wait, it won't let me take a tank, and learn how to drive it?

Also, in the anime, what did taking a person do? How much control over their actions did you have? Because I'm wondering how this would work with potentially hostile entities...

Funny that you mention it. The protagonist actually took the goddess who resurrected him (named Aqua) with him as his one thing out of spite. However, she still has free will and acts like herself.

And by acting like herself, I mean almost useless. She was able to take the highest tiered class in the world (arch-priest). While she could have taken multiple feats to provide healing and support, she ends up learning party tricks due to her impossibly low intelligence (so low she doesn't consider boosting her intelligence when leveling).

You can take a tank, just remember that all of your guns will have one mag (or belt if considering the top mounted HMG that most tanks have) and one tank of fuel (on an M1 Abrams, I'm pretty sure that's 500 gallons of diesel)

SirBellias
2017-06-03, 11:46 AM
Class: Kreikiri.
Skill: Heal.
Grafts for the graft God! Skulls for the skull throne!

If homebrew is not allowed, then I'd probably go ranger and knowledge nature or survival.

Or bard and perform. That would be fun.

dps
2017-06-03, 12:33 PM

Good answer.

As for 1 item, can it be a person? If so, I'll take Katy Perry. I'd like to see what 20 ranks in diplomacy can get her to do.

Quertus
2017-06-03, 03:10 PM
Funny that you mention it. The protagonist actually took the goddess who resurrected him (named Aqua) with him as his one thing out of spite. However, she still has free will and acts like herself.

And by acting like herself, I mean almost useless. She was able to take the highest tiered class in the world (arch-priest). While she could have taken multiple feats to provide healing and support, she ends up learning party tricks due to her impossibly low intelligence (so low she doesn't consider boosting her intelligence when leveling).

You can take a tank, just remember that all of your guns will have one mag (or belt if considering the top mounted HMG that most tanks have) and one tank of fuel (on an M1 Abrams, I'm pretty sure that's 500 gallons of diesel)

So, probably not a good idea to pick, "the BBEG of the world", then. :smalltongue: And there aren't any Vorlon ships that are likely to accept me as pilot without Mind Raping them. :smallfrown:

At some point, I'll write up what I would have actually picked in this scenario, if I felt the world wasn't broken, and wanted to have fun breaking it, instead of running away. But, if there had been some limit, of the only slightly broken things I've listed so far, I'm not sure which I'd have picked, actually. They really were just examples to make sure the rules were as broken as they sounded. But, uh, definitely not the tank. :smalltongue:

8BitNinja
2017-06-03, 10:47 PM
So, probably not a good idea to pick, "the BBEG of the world", then. :smalltongue:

Are you considering joining the forces of evil? If so, it may not be that bad.

That is if he isn't mad for you teleporting him out of his dark fortress.

NichG
2017-06-03, 11:13 PM
Thought bottle containing a save-state of me at, say, 50 million xp.

NecroDancer
2017-06-03, 11:19 PM
I'd probably be a wild magic sorcerer (my tendency to drop fireballs at random is a good way of stopping any potential ruffians) and have an amulet of the planes so i can go anywhere.

GPS
2017-06-04, 09:52 PM
Three words: Hand of Vecna

NecroDancer
2017-06-04, 09:55 PM
Three words: Hand of Vecna

Three better words: Head of Vecna

khadgar567
2017-06-05, 07:44 AM
Much better idea vecnas phalactery nah i take star stone it self hello god of harems as skill not needed since becoming deity allows me to take 20 as standart action

GPS
2017-06-05, 07:57 AM
I wouldn't have the stones to use it.

OverdrivePrime
2017-06-05, 10:56 AM
OverdrivePrime is summoned from the Lurker's Plane by a self-insertion thread!

According to the ancient 3.5 "stat yourself" threads from like, 2011 or so, I'm a sloppily built warblade (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=130000). I've passed an age threshold since then, so make the appropriate middle age adjustments. Turning 40 is not for the faint of heart.

Aaaanyway, I'd be excited to live out the dream of adventuring, and would probably be planning on a long career as a heavily prestige-classed Jade Phoenix Mage.

The item value cap is keeping me from picking up anything that would let me immediately win the game, so I'm going with the ultimate item for starting characters: A Handy Haversack! (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#handyHaversack)
Please distribute the remaining 31,000 gp to charity.

Quertus
2017-06-05, 04:05 PM
The item value cap is keeping me from picking up anything that would let me immediately win the game, so I'm going with the ultimate item for starting characters: A Handy Haversack! (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#handyHaversack)
Please distribute the remaining 31,000 gp to charity.

Unless I missed it, the OP never stated an item value cap. In case you'd like to pick something ludicrous.

S@tanicoaldo
2017-06-05, 07:37 PM
I'll go first.

I would take a +20 Holy Blazing Longsword. Everyone knows how powerful those are, so it should need no explanation.

Are sure you know how to use a longsword? In special a blazing one? And are you sure that you are good enough to be able to wield a holy weapon? Isn't it better for you to choose a less judgmental magical weapon? Since it will be the real you wilding it?

I would choose 20 ranks in Diplomacy since I want to take no part in violence.

I would use it to gain influence and power. Since I don't have blue blood maybe I would ascend the ranks of the local temple clergy, become high priestess, acquiring political power, influence, fame, wealth and magical powers.

https://media.giphy.com/media/nQAveDW348pFe/giphy.gif

If I had to bring an object I would probably bring a sack of cocoa and sugarcane to build a mercantile empire of sugar and chocolate.

https://media.giphy.com/media/tcgR9g6AAkrAY/giphy.gif

Kane0
2017-06-06, 01:34 AM
My name is Jack, i drop into the world with my TV. I choose to be a conjurer.
First thing i do is grab myself a flimsy staff and sell my jeans and sneakers for above average cash, then get to work smacking open barrels to collect apples.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-06, 03:01 AM
I think I might take a steam engine. Or make that a steam tractor, so I can move it from my drop point.

If I've got some time to prepare I'm reading up on steam engine blueprints and taking 20 ranks in craft (blacksmith), but if I don't, which is what the original post stated, a steam tractor.

The tech is just about easy enough to copy given enough time and enough interested blacksmiths and investors, and getting blacksmiths and investors interested is not going to be very hard when you have a working steam engine. Steam tractors generally have a way to use them to power other machines, similar to the powered contraptions modern tractors drag along (except I think with steam tractors you mostly couldn't actually drive the tractor while powering the other machine, a hay packing machine for instance would be stationary, and there would still be people gathering up the hay and throwing it in), so it shouldn't be too hard to develop a prototype steam powered saw or similar to demonstrate the device's usefulness. Steam engines typically run best on actual mined coal, but brown coal, peat, charcoal and wood will all work well enough in a pinch, and medieval steel should be more than strong enough to make the pressurized parts, so there are relatively little supply line issues.

Even if I don't become the sole owner of the worlds largest industrial and shipping empire I will probably earn enough rolling the technology out before competitors catch up to at least have the choice to live a modest but comfortable lifestyle in a relatively safe town for the rest of my life. Maybe I'll buy some houses and become a landlord, maybe invest some money in local businesses, anything that keeps my fortune from being a big stack of gold pieces with a "steal me" sign planted on it, and preferably allows me to make it grow a little. Maybe spend some of it on a pet owl bear to discourage people from abducting me or stuff like that to force me to free up the money.

The hardest choice might be where to go. Dwarven lands? Gnome country? Both are great options, if I can get this walking speed tractor to go that far.

And if none of that's an option for not fitting the setting, maybe some kind of craft (carpentry) skill so I can make wind and water mills that do things like pumping water and sawing timber? Not quite as spectacularly monetizable as a honking big steam tractor maybe, but good enough to live out a fruitful civilian life.

Nupo
2017-06-06, 07:28 AM
I think I might take a steam engine.Why not just take a diesel 4x4 pickup? You can run it on vegatable oil.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-06, 08:24 AM
Why not just take a diesel 4x4 pickup? You can run it on vegatable oil.

It doesn't seem quite as reproducible.

My goal is not so much to use the one engine I take, but to copy it a bunch of times. I figure a later model steam engine, roughly 1900-1940, hits the sweet spot between power to weight ratio and ease of engineering. Because the heating happens in a separate compartment from the cilinder there's more leeway on the precise specifications of the parts, it doesn't matter as much if you made the cilinders oversized, for instance (although it's still better if you don't). Diesels do have the advantage over petrol cars that they don't carry spark plugs, but you still need to fine tune things like the amount of fuel and the amount of air brought into the cilinder on each cycle, where in a steam engine there's only one thing going into the cilinder, the amount of that thing going in is directly controlled by the pressure in the pressure tank which is easy to regulate, or at least to regulate down, and the tolerances on how much should enter it for smooth operation are wider. A steam engine can generally I think also cope with significantly larger/more powerful cilinders for certain engine designs, meaning you need less of them, which cuts down on a lot of precise work that could potentially result in everything blowing up when done wrong. (So yes, the pressure tank is a source of worry.) Yes, there have been a lot of diesel tractor designs and such that run on a single cilinder, but they were always sub-optimal. In the mean time a well designed steam engine cilinder can let steam in on both sides of the pistons, and an engine can run smoothly on that one cilinder no problem. (Admittedly I'm not very sure on the way I began this argument, maybe many steam engines just have less cilinders because you can do with less rather than because of any considerations of size. They are probably still going to have larger cilinders because they need to pump them around with pressurized air rather than explosions, so that will help in making them a bit easier to work on using hand tools.)

So overall, I think a steam engine saves me a bunch of precision engineering. And it's a good technology to overengineer on, when in doubt use thicker plating, it'll still work. On top of that fire wood or other slow burning solid fuel is easier to produce in large quantities, under most circumstances, than vegetable oil. While diesel engines would absolutely be superior to steam engines in function I estimate a higher chance of actually being able to make decent engines by going with steam. Because mind you, I don't actually have a lot of skill in automotive engineering, all I have is one master copy and my rudimentary modern understanding of these technologies, and a limited time to show results before any allies I found start losing interest.

Winter_Wolf
2017-06-06, 09:09 AM
Is it even possible to be "resurrected" or plane travel from this world back to Life?

This is really the only question I care about. If I get the option to come back to my family, and the universe isn't out to screw anyone attempting a wish, it's a done deal. One wish, come back to a point far enough in advance of my death that I can avoid the situation and live out my remaining days with people I love.

If I die of old age or some horrible disease, that's different. Then there's literally no reason to come back. If it's old age I'll probably take a pass on the chance, because who wants to be an old man? I practically am already and it's no great shakes. If I were diseased, whatever item gets me cured is my priority.

OverdrivePrime
2017-06-06, 09:44 AM
Unless I missed it, the OP never stated an item value cap. In case you'd like to pick something ludicrous.

Nothing too ludicrous. If I had my druthers, I'd go with a Third Eye of Conceal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#conceal) - At my core, I'm a Madmartigan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmSKgFxx5fM)type without all that much willpower. The idea of being mind controlled or failing a save vs dragon fear just doesn't sit well with me at all.

Mind blank and immunity to scrying for the win! Everything else I can handle with my skills and random gear picked up along my adventures.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-06, 10:00 AM
I suggested an item value cap, to bring the options more in line with a 20th level skill.

It wasn't a bad idea perse, but looking back I don't think it really fits the thread as intended. It's more of a separate alternate scenario. If anything the original question needs less restrictions. I'm not even sure if it's enough for my tractor.

(It's enough money for 660 non-masterwork heavy crossbows, so it might be a close call.)

Quertus
2017-06-07, 10:19 AM
I suppose it's time I try to describe my actual 1st choice for "one item".

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all about taking the "apprentice" feat to get my signature character, Quertus, as an ally (and might still do that, if put in this scenario), but, if I hadn't been explicitly told I could take a person as my one "thing", I wouldn't have considered it a valid option for my choice.

Except, of course, for the fact that my (arguably sub-optimal) first choice is kinda a person. Or several.

Originally conceptualized as "the katana of a thousand blades", the architects looked at it, and realized that they had no intention of actually crafting that many blades. So, based on the Fox of Nine Tails, they decided instead to aim for "the katana of 9 blades", and put a 9-tailed fox on the hilt. The extradimensional space to hold the blades is still designed for over 1000 blades, just in case.

Like switching colors of a multi-color pen, the user can switch the blades of this katana, with the blades popping in and out of extradimensional space.

The item was never finished, but the theory was simple: make each blade designed to handle a specific type of problem, like using different materials to overcome different types of DR. Various blades were constructed of Jade, Cold Iron*, Silver, Adamantine, Pure Force, Crystalized Magic, Solidified Sunlight (or Rainbow?), Planar Boundries, and Voidstone**, if memory serves.

Now, that's all well and good, but that's just the tip of the iceburg.

Each blade was supposed to carry different enchantments, to allow them to handle different situations, just like with the different materials. I honestly can't remember how far the architects got on that front, sadly. :smallfrown:

But that's not even the main power of the blade.

There's a Vampire power (apparently, it's not in the books I own - anyone happen to know what and where it is?) that allows you to put someone's soul in an inanimate object, granting you use of their skills and powers. So, kinda like "Illithid Savant", in item form. :smallcool:

One of the many 9** souls placed into said blades was actually a copy of Quertus (honestly, I think he's had to fight over 100 copies of himself in his adventures) that he defeated by turning it to stone. So I'd have all the powers of a, well, very powerful D&D wizard quite literally in the palm of my hands.

Not all 9 blades were ever filled, but even an incomplete Katana of 9 Blades would be a formidable "weapon" in the hands of someone with the metagame knowledge to utilize Quertus' (and the other spirits') capabilities far more optimally than their original "owners" did.

So, there are several reasons to take it, most of which are obvious. Perhaps the most obvious is the raw power of the item. Then there's my personal like for the idea of the weapon. And the fact that it is, you know, a bloody weapon, which is handy in its own right. But the subtle reason to take it is that it's kinda odd for a Wizard to take. It's intended as a deception, to make intelligent foes misjudge my capabilities. Perhaps some Illusionary armor to round out the deception?

* The "Cold Iron" has (very) recently been re-imaged as "the iron from the blood of 1000*** virgins", so as to be a more fun receptacle for whatever spirit finally inhabits it.
** This blade is "locked", and cannot be extracted without the consent of the hilt. In theory, some day it may be upgraded to "Sphere of Annihilation" (Blade of Annihilation?) level power, but there is some disagreement among the architects as to whether it would still count as an "object" to be a valid target to hold a soul at that point, or whether, by dent of becoming Artifact level, they may lose control of the project. I suspect Voidstone was a hidden, 10th blade, and that "Illusion" was actually the 9th.
*** From my math, 500 would have sufficed, so two "identical" blades were crafted, each using only half the individual's blood.

Spookykid
2017-06-07, 11:04 AM
phoenix hawk lam to much?

engineering skill of 20 could invent and create some cool things

Quertus
2017-06-07, 11:21 AM
phoenix hawk lam to much?

engineering skill of 20 could invent and create some cool things

That (or a custom one I designed) would be bloody awesome, except... I have no skill at piloting a mech, let alone a LAM.

... do you? If so, teach me! :smallbiggrin:

What class would you take?

Spookykid
2017-06-07, 11:38 AM
That (or a custom one I designed) would be bloody awesome, except... I have no skill at piloting a mech, let alone a LAM.

... do you? If so, teach me! :smallbiggrin:

What class would you take?

I've been playing battletech for 20 years does that count??? Probably be able to figure it out, not like you'd have to fight other pilots and be good at it.

Class would be cleric, healing is always nice.

Lord Torath
2017-06-07, 01:00 PM
VF-1S Super Veritech with the Veritech Pilot (Occupational Character) Class and a full load (12 year supply) of Protoculture! :smallbiggrin:

After 12 years, though, it's just be a big hunk of metal. :smallfrown:

Edgeoftheabbys
2017-06-08, 11:03 PM
Let's grab that ring of wishes.

Tetsubo 57
2017-06-09, 03:03 PM
My first thought is a copy of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. More serious answer is a Cubic Gate with one side keyed to Earth and one to the Pathfinder world. Maybe Ethereal and Astral two of the other faces. Don't know what would make good choices for the last two. I'd take Druid. I've always wanted an animal companion and to be a shapeshifter.

eru001
2017-06-09, 07:59 PM
bluff please. Why use magic to alter reality when I can just convince people that it is the way I say it is in the first place

lunaticfringe
2017-06-09, 08:08 PM
bluff please. Why use magic to alter reality when I can just convince people that it is the way I say it is in the first place

Hoards of mindless undead, oozes, rampaging constructs, giant beasts, anything hungry/angry that doesn't understand your language?

Druid is my class btw.

wumpus
2017-06-09, 08:55 PM
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/320216.With_a_Single_Spell

Plugging an old contributor back at rec.arts.sf-lovers
I think the spell starts a fire. Thats it: I think in D&D terms it's a cantrip.
Think how far Skeeve gets with just the disguise spell. This guy goes pretty far as well.
(Skeeve has a few more spells).

goto124
2017-06-10, 09:20 AM
Hoards of mindless undead, oozes, rampaging constructs, giant beasts, anything hungry/angry that doesn't understand your language?

Bluff adventurers who do understand your language, and convince them to be your bodyguards.

Better yet, I'll just bluff/diplomance my way through society and get myself a nice cosy mansion with plenty of nice food to eat, while attending parties and engaging in sports at best. Why adventure and risk my life in the rain and mud?

Quertus
2017-06-13, 11:54 AM
Well, I remembered a bit more about my item of choice, and it's good and bad.

I believe there was an item that was a sheath, that made any blade drawn from it gain the Sharpness trait? Similar to how a Helm of Brilliance makes all weapons Flaming.

The theory was, to create a selectable version, to add a single enchantment, selectable from a list of options, to whichever blade was active. So, it wasn't a +1 Frost Jade blade, it was a +1 jade blade, which could be given Frost, or Keen, or Vicious, etc.

And there were 9 blades which were "default", selectable at will by the user. Then there was space for around 1,000 more, only a few of which were filled, which required the consent of the hilt to activate.

So, before you throw in the power of the beings trapped within, this blade is fairly weak compared to the one described by the OP, and fairly silly to give to a wizard as his one item, but I stand by my choice as what I would have picked.

Felyndiira
2017-06-15, 05:28 PM
A ring that lets me cast Ice Assassin, at will, as an SLA (also bypassing the need for a part of the target being copied).

Because who says that a level 1 commoner can't be the one to initiate the Tippyverse?

Anxe
2017-06-17, 09:51 AM
I take the fabulous and amazing DECK OF MANY THINGS!!

I'll draw four cards because why not. Using a random number generator on Roll20.

1. Jester. 10,000XP thank you very much.
2. Talons. Lose all of my magical items of which I have none. No sweat.
3. The Void. I die.
No 4th card because the Void has claimed me.

Well this was fun.

SimonMoon6
2017-06-17, 10:16 AM
Some possible options:

The Cosmic Cube from Marvel comics. Absolute power over everything? Sure, why not. Possible drawbacks: even people with relatively strong willpower have trouble controlling it.

The Key to Time from Doctor Who. Absolute power over everything? Sure, why not. Possible drawback: someone might claim that since it was divided into pieces, you'd only get one piece. But that's ridiculous because the pieces don't really do anything by themselves.

The Miracle Machine from DC comics. Absolute power over everything? Sure, why not. Possible drawbacks: even a careless thought such as "I wish I was dead" would become true.

JBPuffin
2017-06-17, 12:22 PM
Twenty ranks in Speak Language and a copy of Takumi's bow from Fire Emblem Fates. Don't need ammo for a bow which makes its own arrows...

And the OP mentions a class...gotta go Pathfinder original Summoner. I'll need to put some ranks in Concentration as I level up, but it'll be fine.

Lord Torath
2017-06-17, 02:01 PM
I take the fabulous and amazing DECK OF MANY THINGS!!

I'll draw four cards because why not. Using a random number generator on Roll20.

1. Jester. 10,000XP thank you very much.
2. Talons. Lose all of my magical items of which I have none. No sweat.
3. The Void. I die.
No 4th card because the Void has claimed me.

Well this was fun.If you take one level in Wild Mage (2E) before drawing, you have a 50% chance of drawing the card you want each time. 50 draws later, I've got 11 misc. magic items, four castles, a Charisma of 18, +15 to my reaction and loyalty base, 9 wishes (to use in 90 minutes or lose them), I'm level 12, and the next five monsters I kill will each boost me up a level. I know the solution to my next 4 dilemmas, have 4 loyal henchmen, 5 magic weapons, 5 maps to different treasures, and +16 points to my ability scores, maxing out at 18 each (distributed in order of Int, Cha, Con, Dex, Wis, Str). Plus, I have 5 Fate Twists left, and 40 pieces of jewelry worth a total of 200,000 gp.

Alcore
2017-06-17, 02:44 PM

Ah! I was right! It is "fill the world with wonderful blessings". (Too lazy to translate)

One potion of permanate succubus transformation please. I'll live for as long as i can avoid being killed. Plus benefits. Might help the demon king (prince?) Instead.