PDA

View Full Version : PLA + power point augmentation

D&DPrinceTandem
2017-06-01, 08:26 PM
Hello there, quick question: Is there any ruling that a Githzeria can't use any of its power points to increase the amount of damage his Concussion blast [is it even concussion blast, the race just says concussion?] The Psionic like ability it gets racially

Reference: expanded Psionic handbook.

Necroticplague
2017-06-01, 09:01 PM
Hello there, quick question: Is there any ruling that a Githzeria can't use any of its power points to increase the amount of damage his Concussion blast [is it even concussion blast, the race just says concussion?] The Psionic like ability it gets racially

Reference: expanded Psionic handbook.

I don't know about the specifics of Githzeria, but there is a general rule about augmenting for PLAs

All creatures with psi-like abilities are assigned a manifester level, which indicates how difficult it is to dispel their psi-like effects and determines all level-dependent variables (such as range or duration) the abilities might have. When a creature uses a psi-like ability, the power is manifested as if the creature had spent a number of power points equal to its manifester level, which may augment the power to improve its damage or save DC. However, the creature does not actually spend power points for its psi-like abilities, even if it has a power point reserve due to racial abilities, class levels, or some other psionic ability.
So, yes, there is a rule against it. However, it essentially says 'you get it for free'.

D&DPrinceTandem
2017-06-02, 05:19 AM
I don't know about the specifics of Githzeria, but there is a general rule about augmenting for PLAs

So, yes, there is a rule against it. However, it essentially says 'you get it for free'.
Thank you for your input

In efforts to not waste a thread I have a few more psionic questions to ask:

Can a Psicystal take Hidden talent at lvl 1 and Psicystal affinity at lvl 3, basically getting an infinite amount of Psicrystals through this? [is there any rules that say it can't specifically?]

Can you manifest a power with both talented and Overload in effect [increasing manifester level by two or three or four based on level?]

ben-zayb
2017-06-02, 05:51 AM
Psicrystal Affinity requires a manifester level, which the Hidden Talent feat specifically states to not give/have.

What you need to get Psicrystal Affinity would be a [Host] feat, which does give PLAs with ML.

Kaleph
2017-06-02, 06:07 AM
Can a Psicystal take Hidden talent at lvl 1 and Psicystal affinity at lvl 3, basically getting an infinite amount of Psicrystals through this?

Please consider that the typical RAW counter-argumentation, is that the psycristal has "Advancement:-", which means, amongst other things, that it gets no feats , or anything else unless specifically stated in the section "psycristal basis" at page 22 of the EPH. I know there are DM's who second other interpretations, but if you're in a discussion with yours, I'd be prepared to take this point of view into consideration.

Psicrystal Affinity requires a manifester level, which the Hidden Talent feat [I]specifically states to not give/have.

Question out of curiosity, again about RAW: doesn't it seem to contradict the rules for qualifying for feats/PrC through SLA that are presented in the complete arcane? What do you think?

Psyren
2017-06-02, 08:40 AM
Psicrystal Affinity requires a manifester level, which the Hidden Talent feat specifically states to not give/have.

What you need to get Psicrystal Affinity would be a [Host] feat, which does give PLAs with ML.

You need to be hosting a psionic entity to take those. That limits you to Kalashtar, Inspired, Eberron Elans, and maybe Binders with psionic vestiges. Psicrystals wouldn't qualify.

Question out of curiosity, again about RAW: doesn't it seem to contradict the rules for qualifying for feats/PrC through SLA that are presented in the complete arcane? What do you think?

Could you clarify what you mean? Hidden Talent doesn't actually give a manifester level, this is pretty clearly stated.

Kaleph
2017-06-02, 09:53 AM
Could you clarify what you mean? Hidden Talent doesn't actually give a manifester level, this is pretty clearly stated.

The wording is contradictory, since you may actually manifest a power @ ML 1. That's exactly the same as having manifester level 1.

My interpretation is that they meant "this is not equivalent to having a level in a manifesting class, and it does not add to any manifester levels gained by taking psionic classes". But it could also be that I'm drunk :smallbiggrin:

The_Jette
2017-06-02, 10:01 AM
The wording is contradictory, since you may actually manifest a power @ ML 1. That's exactly the same as having manifester level 1.

My interpretation is that they meant "this is not equivalent to having a level in a manifesting class, and it does not add to any manifester levels gained by taking psionic classes". But it could also be that I'm drunk :smallbiggrin:

You only have a manifester level for the purposes of manifesting the one power that it gives you, and nothing else. At least, that's how it's written.

You can manifest this power with the power points provided by this feat if you have a Charisma score of 11 or higher. If you have no psionic class levels, you are considered a 1st-level manifester when manifesting this power. If you have psionic class levels, you can manifest the power at the highest manifester level you have attained. (This is not a manifester level, and it does not add to any manifester levels gained by taking psionic classes.)

ShurikVch
2017-06-02, 10:11 AM
Note: variants of the Wild Talent feat for The Six Hidden Houses (Complete Psionic) give one PLA with ML 1+½(levels in psionic class)

Psyren
2017-06-02, 10:30 AM

It gives you an effective ML only for the purposes of manifesting that power. You can't use it to qualify for anything that requires a real ML (because it isn't one), and that includes Psicrystal Affinity. So no loop.

Note: variants of the Wild Talent feat for The Six Hidden Houses (Complete Psionic) give one PLA with ML 1+½(levels in psionic class)

The Houses are actually Human alternate racials - you have to use your human bonus feat to get the special wild talent. Since Psicrystals aren't human and don't get that racial ability, they can't be members.

ben-zayb
2017-06-02, 07:16 PM
You need to be hosting a psionic entity to take those. That limits you to Kalashtar, Inspired, Eberron Elans, and maybe Binders with psionic vestiges. Psicrystals wouldn't qualify.
I didn't say they would. That's an interesting take on psionic vestiges, though...