View Full Version : Rules Q&A Changing NPC Race

Koningkrush
2017-06-02, 12:35 AM
If I were to change the race of an NPC stat block, such as the commoner, how should I handle the attributes?
My assumption is that all the NPCs are based off human traits, so does that mean, for example, the base Commoner stats would be 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9 (non-variant humans gain +1 to all attributes) instead of all 10s?
From there, if I were to make say, a high elf commoner, it would become 9 STR, 11 DEX, 9 CON, 10 INT, 9 WIS, 9 CHA?

It would make human NPCS have much better attributes all around, especially evident with a commoner, but non-humans would have powerful racial abilities to compensate.

(Edit)
I noticed that Customizing NPCs (page 342 MM), says that traits are optionally added, suggesting that the traits aren't already there. So a human commoner would be 11, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11 while a high elf commoner would be 10, 12, 10, 11, 10, 10.

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-02, 12:41 AM
You don't. For most player characters, a human commoner isn't a threat or challenge on their own. Even if your players do wind up interacting with them, they probably won't notice if stats are a few points off. So unless you intend this character's stats to be very important, it's easier and faster to just fudge it.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-02, 12:53 AM
I agree OP that your method is correct and cool in theory. However, like honest tiefling says, the stats won't end up mattering and it will just slow down the pace. (Exception for dark vision)

A trick I use sometimes for named NPCs who I think might matter in the future but don't matter now is I assign them a special stat block of "scout" or "thug" or whatever matches their character type. Then if it ever matters (and it rarely does) I can just go to that pre-made star block

Koningkrush
2017-06-02, 12:59 AM
I agree OP that your method is correct and cool in theory. However, like honest tiefling says, the stats won't end up mattering and it will just slow down the pace. (Exception for dark vision)

A trick I use sometimes for named NPCs who I think might matter in the future but don't matter now is I assign them a special stat block of "scout" or "thug" or whatever matches their character type. Then if it ever matters (and it rarely does) I can just go to that pre-made star block

I don't think it would slow down pace. I would be doing this digitally (Roll 20) with pre-made stat blocks/character sheets. I figured it would make things more interesting if a Wood Elf guard for example would be able to out-run the PCs if they were being chased (35 speed) or a Bandit that's significantly more dextrous (12 Dexterity to 14 Dexterity).
Regardless, I think I just answered my own question with the Edit above.

Racial Traits. You can add racial traits to an NPC.
For example, a halfling druid might have a speed of 25
feet and the Lucky trait. Adding racial traits to an NPC
doesn't alter its challenge rating. For more on racial
traits, see the Player's Handbook.

Unoriginal
2017-06-02, 01:03 AM
My assumption is that all the NPCs are based off human traits, so does that mean, for example, the base Commoner stats would be 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9 (non-variant humans gain +1 to all attributes) instead of all 10s?
From there, if I were to make say, a high elf commoner, it would become 9 STR, 11 DEX, 9 CON, 10 INT, 9 WIS, 9 CHA?

Commoners are just supposed to be your average joe you don't have to worry to stat. But don't forget even them have a few points to "buy stats", so to speak. So 10 as average isn't a problem.

It would make human NPCS have much better attributes all around, especially evident with a commoner, but non-humans would have powerful racial abilities to compensate.

+1 to stats aren't going to make them much stronger.

(Edit)
I noticed that Customizing NPCs (page 342 MM), says that traits are optionally added, suggesting that the traits aren't already there. So a human commoner would be 11, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11 while a high elf commoner would be 10, 12, 10, 11, 10, 10.

More or less, yeah, but you're kind of missing the point for commoners. It can be applied to other NPC statblocks, though.

The other racial features are more relevant to make them feel like "they're a member of X species"

Koningkrush
2017-06-02, 01:14 AM
Commoners are just supposed to be your average joe you don't have to worry to stat. But don't forget even them have a few points to "buy stats", so to speak. So 10 as average isn't a problem.

More or less, yeah, but you're kind of missing the point for commoners. It can be applied to other NPC statblocks, though.

I was mainly trying to make sure if I did this that I got the ability scores right, because I often use ability scores beyond just mechanics. For example, PHB page 14, Your Character's Abilities:

Take your character's ability scores and race into
account as you flesh out his or her appearance
and personality. A very strong character with low
Intelligence might think and behave very differently
from a very smart character with low Strength.

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-02, 01:18 AM
I don't think it would slow down pace.

When players do unexpected things and you have to improvise, it can. Many also find that they don't have the time or energy to devote to changing the statblocks perfectly. However, that doesn't mean you can't take pride in the details, and I really advise just slapping on the traits you think fits the character when it comes to NPCs like commoners and most tradespeople. Sometimes the little touches matter, so if you have the time by all means.

If your players get upset that you put the blacksmith's strength to 16 because he's a really burly guy and that's not legal just replace the players at that point. The blacksmith probably isn't going to go on a rampage and kill the player characters or be a threat, why are they whining!?