PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone watching the wotc stream of annihilation? Looking for new on new book

Sir cryosin
2017-06-02, 10:14 AM
So I'm at work and can't watch the stream right now but. I very curious as to the setting of the new book. Now I'm just making a gust based off the interview Chris Perkins had on the twitch channel Encounter Roleplay and say the new book is going to be in Dark Suns. My reasons are one out of a list of campaign setting which dark Suns, Alkadem, Age of the Worms, Spell Jammer. He said one is coming out. As Dark Suns is got to be one of the most popular and asked for setting besides Eberron. And my last point is they put a lot of work into the mystic class having 3 verisons in UA. And with this last verison being pretty good with a few changes needed. So with all that I'm gusting Dark Sun's.

On also a little tidbit there are Dino's in the new book and there is some kind of special T-Rex in it.

jaappleton
2017-06-02, 10:19 AM
Like yourself, I'm unable to watch. However, I'm carefully monitoring Twitter for any announcements.

Here's what I expect:

New storyline book announcement
Announcement of a new film*
Perhaps a new supplement book, similar (but hopefully better than) SCAG
Announcement of certain UA moving forward***

*Actor Joe Manganiello wrote a screenplay for a D&D film.

***Specifically I'm referring to the UA Revised Ranger.

Sir cryosin
2017-06-02, 10:29 AM
Like yourself, I'm unable to watch. However, I'm carefully monitoring Twitter for any announcements.

Here's what I expect:

Chris mentioned in the interview with encounter roleplay that one of the games that is going to be streaming is a prequel of sorts to the setting of the new book.

Sir cryosin
2017-06-02, 10:32 AM

Here's what I expect:

What are your speculations of the setting for the new book.

Matrix_Walker
2017-06-02, 10:51 AM
I am looking forward to the new dinosaurs.

We are badly in need of more wildshape/polymorph compatible beasts, and a herd of new dino's fit the bill!
(Some with actual bills!!)

Beechgnome
2017-06-02, 10:53 AM
I think it'll be the island of Chult, full of dinosaurs and jungles. Still forgotten realms, but weird enough to be different. The Volos races of goblins, yuanti tabaxi and lizardfolk kenku and tritons would make a lot more sense there too.

jaappleton
2017-06-02, 11:29 AM
I'm sick of Forgotten Realms, to be honest. I don't hate the setting, but I want some support for other settings.

I think the new book supplement (Not the next Adventure storyline book) will be kind of an all encompassing book. I don't want to call it a Manual of the Planes, but something similar. "Here's a chapter on Eberron, and some archetypes you'd fine there. Here's a sidebar on how to adapt that archetype for use in another setting."

I think the next Adventure storyline book is going to be... Ok. Know how Barovia (Curse of Strahd, Ravenloft) is kinda its own pocket dimension? Once you're in, you're in until you complete the adventure (supposedly). You can sorta be plucked from any setting and transported to Barovia. I think the next Adventure book is going to be a scenario like that. Something you can play regardless of your setting.

Prakriti
2017-06-02, 11:35 AM
It's set in the Forgotten Realms region of Chult, maybe Maztica. It'll feature Artus Cimber and the Ring of Winter, i.e. Forgotten Realms. We've known this for months now.

jaappleton
2017-06-02, 11:45 AM
It's set in the Forgotten Realms region of Chult, maybe Maztica. It'll feature Artus Cimber and the Ring of Winter, i.e. Forgotten Realms. We've known this for months now.

Damnit.

I just... Seriously, can they support setting BESIDES Forgotten Realms?

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-02, 11:46 AM
Damnit.

I just... Seriously, can they support setting BESIDES Forgotten Realms?

It seems the other realms have been...

Forgotten.

jaappleton
2017-06-02, 11:49 AM
It seems the other realms have been...

Forgotten.

I want to be upset at that but I just can't.

It was so obvious, but bravo.

Sir cryosin
2017-06-02, 11:53 AM

Where did you get your info on that?

jaappleton
2017-06-02, 12:19 PM
Chult
Tomb of Annihilation
Involves Acererak

Beechgnome
2017-06-02, 12:21 PM
Chult
Tomb of Annihilation
Involves Acererak

Yup. https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/870691054231494661

jaappleton
2017-06-02, 12:26 PM
According to lead designer Mike Mearls, the idea for the campaign was pitched by Chris Perkins as "Indians Jones meets Zombies"

So.... I'm intrigued.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-02, 12:36 PM
According to lead designer Mike Mearls, the idea for the campaign was pitched by Chris Perkins as "Indians Jones meets Zombies"

So.... I'm intrigued.

It makes Tales of the Yawning Portal make a lot more sense in retrospect, specifically 'The Hidden Shrine of Tamaochan' and 'Tomb of Horrors'. Like a bridge for new players.

nickl_2000
2017-06-02, 12:39 PM
Have you heard a level range for this?

Beechgnome
2017-06-02, 02:01 PM
OK, NOW they've got my attention:

https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/870710703111393281

Poster in back says 'Xanathar's guide to everything'. Possible Planescape Volo's successor?

Millstone85
2017-06-02, 02:09 PM
Poster in back says 'Xanathar's guide to everything'. Possible Planescape Volo's successor?I am ignorant of the connection between the beholder crime boss of Waterdeep and Planescape. What is the gist of it?

Beechgnome
2017-06-02, 02:13 PM
I am ignorant of the connection between the beholder crime boss of Waterdeep and Planescape. What is the gist of it?

To be honest, I'm not sure either... but I am jumping to the conclusion that the beholder's notion of 'everything' is bigger than our puny brains can handle, and that it may not be limited to Grifts and black markets. Though I suppose that wouldn't be a bad book either.

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-02, 02:17 PM
Xanathar's Guide to Everything sounds more like it might be a 5th edition version of the Villians Lorebook or a Champions of Ruin.

Beechgnome
2017-06-02, 02:23 PM
Xanathar's Guide to Everything sounds more like it might be a 5th edition version of the Villians Lorebook or a Champions of Ruin.

Now that I've googled these... yes it does. Presumably they'll tell us more today or tomorrow.

Regitnui
2017-06-02, 03:25 PM
Forgive me for being singularly unenthusiastic. In fact, I will print out a copy of the official text announcement and stomp on it because this is yet another Forgotten Realms adventure path because they have to support AL and AL can't just hop between worlds because reasons.:smallfrown: I want Eberron. I'll die happy if Eberron gets released officially, even as a single chapter in a "Here you go you whiny fans" book about other settings they now seem to think are molten plutonium.

Sorry for being a downer. This does look interesting, just not the sort of interesting I want. I'm more disappointed than angry, so forgive me if I rained on anyone else's parade.

Temperjoke
2017-06-02, 03:34 PM
Forgive me for being singularly unenthusiastic. In fact, I will print out a copy of the official text announcement and stomp on it because this is yet another Forgotten Realms adventure path because they have to support AL and AL can't just hop between worlds because reasons.:smallfrown: I want Eberron. I'll die happy if Eberron gets released officially, even as a single chapter in a "Here you go you whiny fans" book about other settings they now seem to think are molten plutonium.

Sorry for being a downer. This does look interesting, just not the sort of interesting I want. I'm more disappointed than angry, so forgive me if I rained on anyone else's parade.

At least it's a different region/environment in FR?

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-02, 03:38 PM
Is there some sort of financial reason WOTC is sticking hard to FR like it is a jealous spouse? I would assume that supporting multiple settings would draw in people bored with FR. Is that they are worried one will fail and be a flop?

JumboWheat01
2017-06-02, 03:42 PM
At least it's a different region/environment in FR?

That's my train of thought. It's in the Realms again, but at least it's not the Sword Coast area.

dejarnjc
2017-06-02, 04:14 PM
Is there some sort of financial reason WOTC is sticking hard to FR like it is a jealous spouse? I would assume that supporting multiple settings would draw in people bored with FR. Is that they are worried one will fail and be a flop?

My understanding from a thread on enworld is that Forgotten Realms has historically sold more than every other setting combined.

JumboWheat01
2017-06-02, 04:18 PM
My understanding from a thread on enworld is that Forgotten Realms has historically sold more than every other setting combined.

Well when you have more novels and video games set in that setting than any other...

Sir cryosin
2017-06-02, 05:01 PM
It's just the standard fantasy setting. If we voice are need more and keep voicing that we want different setting hopefully they crack. Also keep in mind how big D&D has grown in the pass few years. New comers to D&D are expecting fantasy. And most Invision wizards, and knights, dragons, castles y'all know the trops. As dungeons and dragons is faerune it there home setting now.

Sir cryosin
2017-06-02, 05:13 PM
I love the fantasy trops that are in faerune. But I got tired of it so my home campain is set thounds of years into are future. I'm running a sci-fi fantasy. There are humanoids on Mars, Earth, Venus, the moon Titan, mining colonies in the asteroid belt. We melted all the ice on Neptune and is a water planet with flooting city's and underwater ones. Mars is a planet of city's. City's are the size of countries. Earth is over grown and is eco friendly you can't even land any spacecrafts on Earth only way to go to the surface is by a space elevator that's connect to the moon. The moon rotates on a track so it can keep in contact with earth but still able to rotate around earth.

Sorry ranting.

Sigreid
2017-06-02, 05:28 PM

It might possibly have to do with the fact that they had been tying their books and their MMO together, and the MMO is set in FR.

Edit: And I would vote that their next grand adventure be the death of Elminster! They should have a whole series of adventures where they kill off the characters that keep them hidebound! :smallbiggrin:

Arenabait
2017-06-02, 05:30 PM
It might possibly have to do with the fact that they had been tying their books and their MMO together, and the MMO is set in FR.

This (www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter) :/ Ten Characters

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-02, 05:36 PM

Sadly, yes. But I wonder if the videogames made the setting popular, or vice versa.

Edit: And I would vote that their next grand adventure be the death of Elminster! They should have a whole series of adventures where they kill off the characters that keep them hidebound! :smallbiggrin:

Oh, you tease. I probably would actually play that, just to see how they'd do it.

This (www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter) :/ Ten Characters

Why, hello there King Mosh. You got lost?

JumboWheat01
2017-06-02, 05:41 PM

I dunno, the man survived the spellplague somehow, which killed off or drove utterly made pretty much every other mage out there. I'm pretty sure by this point he has more plot armor than should be legally allowed.

Sigreid
2017-06-02, 05:43 PM
I dunno, the man survived the spellplague somehow, which killed off or drove utterly made pretty much every other mage out there. I'm pretty sure by this point he has more plot armor than should be legally allowed.

He does indeed have thicker plot armor than Batman. But I'd still like him...removed completely from the setting.

Jama7301
2017-06-02, 05:47 PM

TWO MMOs in the Forgotten Realms, tracking back to Turbine's Dungeons and Dragons Online

That's wild.

Edit: My bad. Looks like DDO also featured Eberron, so it's only about 1.5 DnD MMOs. Didn't do the full research.

Arenabait
2017-06-02, 06:02 PM
Why, hello there King Mosh. You got lost?

Right? I saw the dinosaurs and got super excited for Eberron! And then they said it was Chult ;-;

jaappleton
2017-06-02, 09:12 PM
They quasi addressed the whole "ANOTHER book in the Realms?!" thing on Twitter.

When someone griped about it, their response was "You can remove all the FR Lore and use it in your own setting!"

While true, and that's typically one sign of a well made adventure, it's something... Ok, maybe it's just me, but I kinda see it as them saying "Deal with it".

Kite474
2017-06-02, 09:29 PM

When someone griped about it, their response was "You can remove all the FR Lore and use it in your own setting!"

While true, and that's typically one sign of a well made adventure, it's something... Ok, maybe it's just me, but I kinda see it as them saying "Deal with it".

That's exactly what they are saying. At this point they have pretty much abandoned non realm adventures outside of maybe a CoS once in a blue moon and even then they will make it as FR as possible

SharkForce
2017-06-02, 09:31 PM
TWO MMOs in the Forgotten Realms, tracking back to Turbine's Dungeons and Dragons Online

That's wild.

Edit: My bad. Looks like DDO also featured Eberron, so it's only about 1.5 DnD MMOs. Didn't do the full research.

you have that backwards. DDO also featured forgotten realms. it was eberron only for years, there were a whole bunch of eberron quests and areas, and when i left they had only one FR area with a few quests, less than 10 (i think there were two 4-part quest lines specifically). they probably kept expanding that a bit, but there's no way they got anywhere near enough FR material for it to even come close to the amount of eberron stuff.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-02, 09:49 PM

As crazy as this might sound, I'd prefer it if they did an extremely FR campaign once in a while instead of these 'could be placed anywhere' adventures we've got filtering in. SKT was excellent in this regard, but others, not so much (Rise of Tiamat, I'm looking at you).

Not to say I don't want other campaign materials. I'd sacrifice a puppy every month for a year if we got Greyhawk back. I stopped holding my breath for Spelljammer, but I'd be ecstatic to see Eberron, Planescape, Dark Sun, Ghostwalk, Birthright, Council of Wyrms...

I STILL haven't shut up about Barovia since CoS.

Sigreid
2017-06-02, 11:18 PM
As crazy as this might sound, I'd prefer it if they did an extremely FR campaign once in a while instead of these 'could be placed anywhere' adventures we've got filtering in. SKT was excellent in this regard, but others, not so much (Rise of Tiamat, I'm looking at you).

Not to say I don't want other campaign materials. I'd sacrifice a puppy every month for a year if we got Greyhawk back. I stopped holding my breath for Spelljammer, but I'd be ecstatic to see Eberron, Planescape, Dark Sun, Ghostwalk, Birthright, Council of Wyrms...

I STILL haven't shut up about Barovia since CoS.

We do have a hint of spelljammer in Volo's with the mind-flayer trans-dimensional ships.

Regitnui
2017-06-03, 04:34 AM

That's exactly what they are saying. At this point they have pretty much abandoned non realm adventures outside of maybe a CoS once in a blue moon and even then they will make it as FR as possible

I can see nothing but middle fingers from the current D&D team when we ask for anything other than more FR. We're just asking for a book. Hells, I would be happy without a book if they unlocked the settings on the DMs Guild. I DON'T BOOPING LIKE FORGOTTEN REALMS! I want to play Eberron. I'd like to be able to play with Daelkyr, dolgrims, undying elves and magebred bears. And if they can say "You can remove all the FR Lore and use it in your own setting", then they can publish an Eberron or Dark Sun or even Spelljammer book and say the exact booping thing for the FR fans who will apparently screech like (political) far-right conservatives at a global warming conference if they don't get more material for one year.

We do have a hint of spelljammer in Volo's with the mind-flayer trans-dimensional ships.

And we get a begrudging drip of other campaign settings with the "this material in other settings" section in SCAG. That's arguably worse, since it acknowledges us but simultaneously calls every other setting less important than FR. Where's the book with the Eberron stuff that tells FR to adjust? Or the Dark Sun book? Or any setting that shows off the versatility and possibility of D&D?

WotC seems to be stuck on D&D as 'the high fantasy game'. It can be urban fantasy, space fantasy, planar fantasy, post-apocalypse fantasy and more, if only they released the past settings! And that's why I'm angry and sad. I love this system, but they're forcing it to run on its hands by taking off its legs. Next thing they'll hand out mandatory nerd glasses for AL and ban women from playing, because they're clearly determined to stay stuck in the 1980's stereotype.

some guy
2017-06-03, 04:37 AM
While I'm not a fan of yet another Forgotten Realms book, I like jungle adventures. And I placed most adventures in my own world anyway.

That cover of Xanathar's Guide to Everything is the first time I'm interested by a dnd-cover:
https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/870710703111393281

Sir cryosin
2017-06-03, 07:28 AM
I can see nothing but middle fingers from the current D&D team when we ask for anything other than more FR. We're just asking for a book. Hells, I would be happy without a book if they unlocked the settings on the DMs Guild. I DON'T BOOPING LIKE FORGOTTEN REALMS! I want to play Eberron. I'd like to be able to play with Daelkyr, dolgrims, undying elves and magebred bears. And if they can say "You can remove all the FR Lore and use it in your own setting", then they can publish an Eberron or Dark Sun or even Spelljammer book and say the exact booping thing for the FR fans who will apparently screech like (political) far-right conservatives at a global warming conference if they don't get more material for one year.

And we get a begrudging drip of other campaign settings with the "this material in other settings" section in SCAG. That's arguably worse, since it acknowledges us but simultaneously calls every other setting less important than FR. Where's the book with the Eberron stuff that tells FR to adjust? Or the Dark Sun book? Or any setting that shows off the versatility and possibility of D&D?

WotC seems to be stuck on D&D as 'the high fantasy game'. It can be urban fantasy, space fantasy, planar fantasy, post-apocalypse fantasy and more, if only they released the past settings! And that's why I'm angry and sad. I love this system, but they're forcing it to run on its hands by taking off its legs. Next thing they'll hand out mandatory nerd glasses for AL and ban women from playing, because they're clearly determined to stay stuck in the 1980's stereotype.

Whooo man calm your warforged before it over heats. I'm going to play devil's advocate here. If you want to play in a different setting let's say Ebbron. There are hundreds of published books from 3e and 4e you can buy and use. it may take a a bit of work to convert. Also what's stopping you from running your own stuff in the setting you love.

jaappleton
2017-06-03, 08:17 AM
Whooo man calm your warforged before it over heats. I'm going to play devil's advocate here. If you want to play in a different setting let's say Ebbron. There are hundreds of published books from 3e and 4e you can buy and use. it may take a a bit of work to convert. Also what's stopping you from running your own stuff in the setting you love.

Allow me to come to the defense of my steampunk loving friend here.

After a survey, it was revealed Eberron is one of the most-requested settings for content, as far as 5E is concerned. I think it was #2 or #3 most requested. People want it. WOTC knows this, it was their survey.

And they've done... what? Two Unearthed Arcana articles. One for some races and a half-assed attempt to turn Wizards into Alchemists, and the other was the Artificer. Neither of which are official material.

So its been 3 years now since 5Es release, and... How much official support is there for anything NOT Forgotten Realms?

You can even go a step further... In the PHB, there are several sidebars which allude to further content to be released. Deurgar has a small sidebar in the Dwarf section of Races. Oathbreakers are mentioned in the Paladin section. These have seen release, and it didn't take very long; Oathbreakers were in the DMG which released only a few months after the PHB, and Duergar saw release in the SCAG.

There's a sidebar about Draconians in the Dragonborn section, mentioning the Dragonlance setting. No further mention of those was ever detailed. Three years later. Nothing.

Sir cryosin
2017-06-03, 08:42 AM
Allow me to come to the defense of my steampunk loving friend here.

After a survey, it was revealed Eberron is one of the most-requested settings for content, as far as 5E is concerned. I think it was #2 or #3 most requested. People want it. WOTC knows this, it was their survey.

And they've done... what? Two Unearthed Arcana articles. One for some races and a half-assed attempt to turn Wizards into Alchemists, and the other was the Artificer. Neither of which are official material.

So its been 3 years now since 5Es release, and... How much official support is there for anything NOT Forgotten Realms?

You can even go a step further... In the PHB, there are several sidebars which allude to further content to be released. Deurgar has a small sidebar in the Dwarf section of Races. Oathbreakers are mentioned in the Paladin section. These have seen release, and it didn't take very long; Oathbreakers were in the DMG which released only a few months after the PHB, and Duergar saw release in the SCAG.

There's a sidebar about Draconians in the Dragonborn section, mentioning the Dragonlance setting. No further mention of those was ever detailed. Three years later. Nothing.

Still begrudgingly playing devil's advocate here. Soon I'll be force to sign a contract. They have a different business model to releaseing books. They don't want to flood the market with books like before. They what use to be adle to digest use and play with what they put out. If wotc want to stay with fae rune for the rest of 5e life so be it. It's there company they can put out material they want to. Now I would be very upset and disappointed. But it's there call.

Now I'm done playing devil's advocate. We are not powerless here tho. If we as a Collective voice are opinions and not buy the Adventure books. We can sway there opinions.

jaappleton
2017-06-03, 09:01 AM
I totally agree the wrong move is to flood the market with books. That's totally the wrong move. It happened with prior editions, and next thing you know, players are combining and stacking things that were never meant to be together... For the golden example, google 'pun pun'.

Millstone85
2017-06-03, 09:18 AM
That cover of Xanathar's Guide to Everything is the first time I'm interested by a dnd-cover:
https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/870710703111393281For me, it will probably go like the last time.

http://i.imgur.com/Wa7UIZ8.png

I like the style here, I do. It is somewhat minimalist, retro and mysterious.

But I will probably opt for the regular cover. It is easier to find and these Jacobson and Swanland fellows know their trade.

Also, what's the deal with the fishes?

Edit: Updated picture.

TrinculoLives
2017-06-03, 09:30 AM
Oh, that's what those things are!

some guy
2017-06-03, 09:40 AM
Also, what's the deal with the fishes?

From the reddit post on the stream (https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/6evmbg/stream_of_annihilation_announcement_of_dds_next/) "[3:15pm: Chris Perkins says, "There's a story reason why there are live goldfish here, but that won't be revealed until tomorrow." So maybe Xanathar's Guide To Everything, which seems to have goldfish on the cover, won't be announced until tomorrow?]"

So, I guess we have to wait on the big goldfish-reveal.

Millstone85
2017-06-03, 10:06 AM
So, I guess we have to wait on the big goldfish-reveal.I was already interested to learn what they put in this book, but this adds a touch of humor to the wait.

My guess: "Not only am I the ultimate life form, I also seem to be the only one to understand the importance of goldfish. Look at them, swimming with feigned innocence. But I am no fool! I know what they are up to. Let me grab... Calm down, primate, that's just my telekinetic ray... And here is my pegboard. Do you see how it all connects? And right at the center, goldfish! Always the goldfish."

Sir cryosin
2017-06-03, 10:22 AM
I was already interested to learn what they put in this book, but this adds a touch of humor to the wait.

My guess: "Not only am I the ultimate life form, I also seem to be the only one to understand the importance of goldfish. Look at them, swimming with feigned innocence. But I am no fool! I know what they are up to. Let me grab... Calm down, primate, that's just my telekinetic ray... And here is my pegboard. Do you see how it all connects? And right at the center, goldfish! Always the goldfish."

What is that from???

Millstone85
2017-06-03, 10:27 AM
What is that from???Nowhere. I could have just said that I expect something like Xanathar being obsessed with goldfish, in true beholder paranoia, but I was feeling creative.

Sir cryosin
2017-06-03, 10:29 AM
Nowhere. I could have just said that I expect something like Xanathar being obsessed with goldfish, in true beholder paranoia, but I was feeling creative.

Is sounded like a line from a movie.

Kite474
2017-06-03, 10:46 AM
So I imagine this book will be like a Sword Coast Adventures book except for Waterdeep. And about as satisfying and about as useful. Which is to say not at all

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-03, 11:38 AM
So I imagine this book will be like a Sword Coast Adventures book except for Waterdeep. And about as satisfying and about as useful. Which is to say not at all

Ouch, man.

Waterdeep's kind of a... weird choice right now. If they were going to do a guide to it, they really should've released it before Tales of the Yawning Portal. I'm getting the weird feeling it's not, though, based on the name. The second and most famous Xanathar, the Eye, managed to convince everyone that his name wasn't a name, but a title. Everyone after him in the Xanathar Thieves' Guild always called themselves 'the Xanathar' rather than just 'Xanathar' based on this belief.

Given the book's title isn't 'THE Xanathar's Guide to Everything', at least if they're paying attention to lore, it seems likely the Eye managed to cheat death again. What that means for the book's content, I've got no clue.

Also, about paying attention to the lore... well... Rise of Tiamat... *cough*

I choose to be hopeful, though.

jaappleton
2017-06-03, 11:42 AM
Expect some product announcements today.

Kite474
2017-06-03, 11:45 AM
Expect some product announcements today.

I expect many dice containers, DM Screens, more Character sheets, and other small things.

Not sure if they will reveal what the Guide to Everything is. It's definitely not the crunch book since they just released the Mystic and the Artificer on the DM's guild

jaappleton
2017-06-03, 11:49 AM
I expect many dice containers, DM Screens, more Character sheets, and other small things.

Not sure if they will reveal what the Guide to Everything is. It's definitely not the crunch book since they just released the Mystic and the Artificer on the DM's guild

They've released plenty of things which were never playtested. Sun Soul Monk, Mastermind Rogue, the new Totems for Totem Barbarians, etc. Nobody saw the Arcana Cleric prior to SCAG's release.

So it could very well have new player options. Perhaps ones we've never seen before. And even if they include some of the UA material from this recent wave, the book still has months before release so they have some time to tweak.

Temperjoke
2017-06-03, 12:03 PM
You know, if it's a guide to "everything" it could be a planar book. I mean, Volo was the author of his guide to monsters, but it wasn't inextricably bound and related to him.

Sir cryosin
2017-06-03, 12:25 PM
If anyone hears or see anything on Twitter or on the stream please let this thread know. I'm working and I don't have a Twitter. But I do check this form. I would appreciate it thank you.

Beechgnome
2017-06-03, 12:34 PM
If anyone hears or see anything on Twitter or on the stream please let this thread know. I'm working and I don't have a Twitter. But I do check this form. I would appreciate it thank you.

There's this:

Dungeons & Dragons‏Verified account @Wizards_DnD 4m4 minutes ago
More
Announced on #StreamofAnnihilation, Xanathar's Guide to Everything! Highly player focused book coming November! http://twitch.tv/dnd #dnd

and these pics: https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/871056620834443264

"Highly player focused"... can we assume this finally means more spells, plus some class/feat/archetype options? Or is this too soon after all the UA?

JumboWheat01
2017-06-03, 12:42 PM
Well that book I'll look forward too, especially if it's more about tools for us all to use rather than setting information.

I hope it'll explain goldfish though, just for the fun of it.

jaappleton
2017-06-03, 12:42 PM
Talking to Crawford. He said 'rules options'.

I asked to clarify, any new spells, archetypes, etc.

Will post if I get a response.

-----

Xanathar's releases November 21st, 2017

Hearing from someone else it'll incorporate a lot of the UA stuff. Looking for confirmation.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-03, 12:44 PM
There's this:

Dungeons & Dragons‏Verified account @Wizards_DnD 4m4 minutes ago
More
Announced on #StreamofAnnihilation, Xanathar's Guide to Everything! Highly player focused book coming November! http://twitch.tv/dnd #dnd

and these pics: https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/871056620834443264

"Highly player focused"... can we assume this finally means more spells, plus some class/feat/archetype options? Or is this too soon after all the UA?

Crazy, I do believe that IS the Eye, the second and most famous of Xanathar's. He's got the right coloration, the cat eyes, the slightly chubby cheeks. Like Volo and Durnan before him, he's somehow managed to survive to 5e what likely should have been fatal (time with the other two, murder hobos murder-hoboing in Xanathar's case).

There's a lot of items around him on the cover, and he did run a thieves' guild. Mordenkainen's Magical Emporium? Would explain why it's 'highly player focused'.

It's not what I asked for, but please let it be that.

jaappleton
2017-06-03, 12:46 PM
Hearing THREE NEW SUBCLASSES FOR EVERY CLASS

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/871060867663634432

So the best of the UA is becoming official.

JumboWheat01
2017-06-03, 12:49 PM
Well then, that's what I call opening up some options for players. Since that most likely includes Sorcerers, I'm guessing we'll finally get a finalized Favored Soul option.

Beechgnome
2017-06-03, 12:50 PM
Hearing THREE NEW SUBCLASSES FOR EVERY CLASS

Whoah. That would be great. Though the Artificer and Mystic note from earlier in May makes me think they won't be ready for it.

I tried to read the blurry words at the bottom of the left cover ends at "Explore a wealth of fantastic rules options..." before it all turned into gibberish. So that is useful to know.

EDIT: More details from Crawford My italics. "Xanathar's Guide to Everything has over 25 new subclasses; a host of new spells; new rules on magic items, downtime, traps; and more. #DnD"

Yes to spells.

jaappleton
2017-06-03, 12:54 PM
Here's what is weird.

Three new archetypes for each class. It's essentially Unearthed Arcana's Greatest Hits, as far as that's concerned.

.......What does this mean for Wizards? We all thought the Lore Wizard was absurd. The War Wizard wasn't as bad, but wasn't exactly tame. Theurge, depending on the Domain, can be outright broken and regardless, it steps on the toes of Clerics.

At the time, when Lore Wizard was released, they kind of alluded to all the abilities not necessarily being the sum of their parts. So the lv2 feature could become the lv6 of another Archetype, essentially.

So... What the hell do we expect for Wizards?

Sir cryosin
2017-06-03, 12:55 PM
Here's what is weird.

Three new archetypes for each class. It's essentially Unearthed Arcana's Greatest Hits, as far as that's concerned.

.......What does this mean for Wizards? We all thought the Lore Wizard was absurd. The War Wizard wasn't as bad, but wasn't exactly tame. Theurge, depending on the Domain, can be outright broken and regardless, it steps on the toes of Clerics.

At the time, when Lore Wizard was released, they kind of alluded to all the abilities not necessarily being the sum of their parts. So the lv2 feature could become the lv6 of another Archetype, essentially.

Can you ask him if the revised Ranger going to be in the book. To make it cannon?

jaappleton
2017-06-03, 12:57 PM
Can you ask him if the revised Ranger going to be in the book. To make it cannon?

I asked. Honestly, I don't expect a response. Crawford keeps his lips sealed. Mearls is doing the stream right now, so he's pretty busy.

Crawford is not on stream, he's pretty sick.

Beechgnome
2017-06-03, 01:00 PM
Here's what is weird.

I guess it depends on whether we believe all the classes must be from the UA, ir whether they could throw a surprise like Mastermind Rogue was.

If I were to gamble on what a surprise wizard would be, I'd say some sort of Black Magic school that would be able to use some of the demon summoning spells from the ol' black magic UA. I think I might have homebrewed one like that a while back, though I don't think I posted it here or anywhere.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-03, 01:00 PM
Here's what is weird.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see one or two completely new archetypes for wizards instead. I just hope they keep the war wizard, I actually really like that archetype.

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-03, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we see one or two completely new archetypes for wizards instead. I just hope they keep the war wizard, I actually really like that archetype.

I hope they keep the Lore Wizard! Just...More lore based and less boom based.

I'm more curious about the spell selection, since more subclasses for wizard is an awfully slow power creep, but more spells can be a good thing (balanced spells that don't overshadow old ones), a bad thing (horrible spells no one uses) or a horrible thing (Beep beep! Make way for God-Wizard with her new spells! Tremble mortals!).

JumboWheat01
2017-06-03, 01:09 PM
I hope they keep the Lore Wizard! Just...More lore based and less boom based.

I'm more curious about the spell selection, since more subclasses for wizard is an awfully slow power creep, but more spells can be a good thing (balanced spells that don't overshadow old ones), a bad thing (horrible spells no one uses) or a horrible thing (Beep beep! Make way for God-Wizard with her new spells! Tremble mortals!).

How long do you think 'till we have threads here on the GitP forum comparing new spells to the Wish/Clone combo or (gods forbid,) Minor Illusion.

Millstone85
2017-06-03, 01:10 PM
Crazy, I do believe that IS the Eye, the second and most famous of Xanathar's. He's got the right coloration, the cat eyes, the slightly chubby cheeks. Like Volo and Durnan before him, he's somehow managed to survive to 5e what likely should have been fatal (time with the other two, murder hobos murder-hoboing in Xanathar's case).He certainly looks different than the beholder on the cover of the MM, which according to the description on the second page of that book represents "the Xanathar ambushing explorers in the darkest depths of Undermountain".

Nicrosil
2017-06-03, 01:11 PM
How long do you think 'till we have threads here on the GitP forum comparing new spells to the Wish/Clone combo or (gods forbid,) Minor Illusion.

I give it 2 hours.

Sir cryosin
2017-06-03, 01:13 PM
I would love to see a lore wizard getting expertise on history or Arcane.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-03, 01:19 PM
He certainly looks different than the beholder on the cover of the MM, which according to the description on the second page of that book represents "the Xanathar ambushing explorers in the darkest depths of Undermountain".

I never noticed that before. It works in the lore, though. There have been many Xanathars, almost always beholders. The Eye was the second Xanathar, the first that was a beholder, the most powerful to hold the title and the only one besides the original to simply call himself 'Xanathar'.

Sigreid
2017-06-03, 01:23 PM
Crazy, I do believe that IS the Eye, the second and most famous of Xanathar's. He's got the right coloration, the cat eyes, the slightly chubby cheeks. Like Volo and Durnan before him, he's somehow managed to survive to 5e what likely should have been fatal (time with the other two, murder hobos murder-hoboing in Xanathar's case).

There's a lot of items around him on the cover, and he did run a thieves' guild. Mordenkainen's Magical Emporium? Would explain why it's 'highly player focused'.

It's not what I asked for, but please let it be that.

Well, if Beholder reproduction does work as described in Volo's, then Xanathar could be killed any number of times and be essentially reborn out of the paranoid delusion of another beholder, or even from Xanathar himself before he dies.

wkinahan
2017-06-03, 01:30 PM
Based on what Mike Mearls said on stream, wizard is only getting one subclass. Everything else is getting 3.

jaappleton
2017-06-03, 01:31 PM
UPDATE:

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/871071659825872896

Wizards get ONE new Subclass.

Everyone else gets 2 or more.

JumboWheat01
2017-06-03, 01:40 PM
UPDATE:

Any guesses for which one it'll be? I can see any making it, though the Theurge and the Lore Wizard will probably eat a nerf bat hard.

Sir cryosin
2017-06-03, 01:41 PM
UPDATE:

Sorry for keep asking like this but can you ask about mystic or Artificer being in this book?

Gryndle
2017-06-03, 01:47 PM
I think there are two major reasons they stick with FR material- the first I believe is resource focus (i.e. laziness.) their devs only need focus on that content. but I believe the greater reason is money..FR traditionally sales better to larger number of people.

If/when they release material for another setting a subset of the D&D populace is going to rejoice, another subset is going to be up in arms about them picking the "wrong" setting. and likely a majority in the middle that will react somewhere between a strong "meh" to slight curiosity.

For example. if they released Spelljammer or Dragonlance, I would buy it. Dark Sun or Greyhawk I would give a once over and see. Planescape I would just ignore. Eberron I might buy a copy of the book, but only so I could set it on fire and urinate on the ashes.

I think a lot of D&D consumers could make the same statement, just switching up the campaign names to taste.

jaappleton
2017-06-03, 01:54 PM
Sorry for keep asking like this but can you ask about mystic or Artificer being in this book?

I've been asking, man. Revised Ranger, Mystic, Artificer... No answers.

I'd bet Revised Ranger will be there. I think it'll be in.

Mystic? No. That won't be in. Its a whole new class with new mechanics. That requires much more testing. That'll see release in 2018, I think.

Artificer is a new class, but no new mechanics. That one... 40% chance of making it into the book, I think.

Sir cryosin
2017-06-03, 01:56 PM
I think there are two major reasons they stick with FR material- the first I believe is resource focus (i.e. laziness.) their devs only need focus on that content. but I believe the greater reason is money..FR traditionally sales better to larger number of people.

If/when they release material for another setting a subset of the D&D populace is going to rejoice, another subset is going to be up in arms about them picking the "wrong" setting. and likely a majority in the middle that will react somewhere between a strong "meh" to slight curiosity.

For example. if they released Spelljammer or Dragonlance, I would buy it. Dark Sun or Greyhawk I would give a once over and see. Planescape I would just ignore. Eberron I might buy a copy of the book, but only so I could set it on fire and urinate on the ashes.

I think a lot of D&D consumers could make the same statement, just switching up the campaign names to taste.

Wwwwoooowwww hahaha harsh but funny

Sir cryosin
2017-06-03, 01:57 PM
I've been asking, man. Revised Ranger, Mystic, Artificer... No answers.

I'd bet Revised Ranger will be there. I think it'll be in.

Mystic? No. That won't be in. Its a whole new class with new mechanics. That requires much more testing. That'll see release in 2018, I think.

Artificer is a new class, but no new mechanics. That one... 40% chance of making it into the book, I think.

I think we will see mystic soon then we think.

Sir cryosin
2017-06-03, 02:10 PM
As any heard about the level range for the tomb of annihilation?

jaappleton
2017-06-03, 02:13 PM
So WOTC has a couple board games. Like Betrayal at House on Haunted Hill... or whatever its called?

If you're into that, look forward to Betrayal at Baldur's Gate!

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-03, 02:22 PM
so wotc has a couple board games. Like betrayal at house on haunted hill... Or whatever its called?

If you're into that, look forward to betrayal at baldur's gate!

:smallbiggrin:

if you're into that, look forward to betrayal at baldur's gate!

:smallbiggrin:

betrayal at baldur's gate!

:biggrin:

Sir cryosin
2017-06-03, 02:24 PM
So WOTC has a couple board games. Like Betrayal at House on Haunted Hill... or whatever its called?

If you're into that, look forward to Betrayal at Baldur's Gate!

One of my players will love that. He buys the board games for cheap mini's

Millstone85
2017-06-03, 02:34 PM
I just got the joke.

This is Volo's Guide to Monsters, but written by a monster and about adventurers.

Also goldfish. Maybe he got sidetracked, or maybe he has a pet miniature giant space goldfish he really wanted to talk about.

Anyway, that's... actually pretty funny.