PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Alternative Class Features to Animal Companions?

LtJaron
2017-06-02, 10:17 AM
Hey playground!
I recently started playing in a campaign as an Artificer, which gets a mechanical animal companion as one of their class features, but I have no desire for such a companion as they mostly just get forgotten or underused in our campaigns and furthermore; the DM and I haven't quite figured out the balancing of such changes yet and I was wondering if anyone had some good suggestions? :)I was thinking additional spell casting or magic items or even abilites, but any features are welcome!
I'm playing a flimsy elven gunsmith, raised by Dwarves, which also could go for some nifty alternative features to a companion ;) Shoot!

Regards
LtJaron

jaappleton
2017-06-02, 10:21 AM
Really, the only suggestion I have is to replicate the Beast companion from the UA Revised Ranger - Beast Concalve.

LtJaron
2017-06-02, 10:23 AM
But does it remove the animal companion and replace it with something else? I have no intention of keeping my animal companion or changing it, just exchange it for something else :)

JackPhoenix
2017-06-02, 10:30 AM
Just don't use it if you don't like it? Sure, it will be a waste of class feature, but roleplaying is sometimes more important than getting the absolute maximum from your build.

Find a different version of Artificer, one without the companion? I mean, at this point, it's pretty much a homebrew anyway...

LtJaron
2017-06-02, 10:36 AM
JackPhoenix - Sure I hear what you're saying, and I agree concering the roleplaying being important, but I was just curious after talking with my DM about finding some other class feature to replace the Animal companion. So far I haven't had any luck finding any alternatives concering artificer and most other features have been wildshaping/shapeshifing concering Druids.. Which could also be interesting concering the magic usage... But im generally just curious :)

JackPhoenix
2017-06-02, 10:44 AM
Yes, there are threads dealing with replacing wildshape for druids, but that's because, wildshaping is a core feature of a core class. In comparison, animal companion is the whole schtick of beast master, not core ranger, so if you don't like it, you can select different subclass. Most threads dealing with animal companions focuses on making it more useful, not replacing it, because what's the point?

While mechanical companion is the feature of core artificer, and doesn't fit all character concepts (as you've proven), artificer is UA class, and relatively recent at that, so it doesn't have many people trying to change it. On the plus side, this thread may be the source of some of those changes!

Sorry I can't help you with suggesting actual changes, at least not today.

LtJaron
2017-06-02, 10:50 AM
No worries JackPhoenix and thanks for the quick reply!
Yes I was also interested in getting to brew some ideas together about this topic and yes although the animal companion is a replaceable feature, i'm personally having a hard time figuring out how to balance such change, and with what. But maybe as you say the animal companion comes down to a removal anyway due to us forgetting about it all the time XD But in the other and we are foregoing a potential "3rd party member" to our already small party of 2...

So some more possibilites could be sweet. for example an item that mimics the Animal companions abilites to go and fetch stuff or press items like a permanent arcane magical mage hand, mixed with some other magical contraptions...

*/pondering*

JackPhoenix
2017-06-02, 11:15 AM
Ah, I thought you don't want any companion at all? In that case, I suggest looking at this version (http://www.eberron5e.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Class-Artificer-Full-Class-v3.4.pdf) of artificer, based more on 3.5e version. It includes port of Eberron homunculi, which may be of some interest to you: it includes workshop assistant, pseudo familiar/messenger, thief, combat dog-like construct, walking chest and pocket sneak attacker. No automated walking crossbow like in Eberron, though.

If you replace the companion with one of the constructs, it will be somewhat weaker, but it may be more thematic than mere clockwork animal.

Herobizkit
2017-06-03, 05:13 AM
Power Armor.

You become proficient in Heavy Armor. In addition, you create a suit of Plate Mail that can only be worn/activated by you (or another Artificer).

This armor can be infused as per usual. Unlike a standard infusion, however, spells used to enhance the armor that also have a duration longer than Instant remain stored in the armor until the Artificer changes them. (In effect, the Artificer can spend his infusions on his Armor to get the mechanical equivalence of Warlock invocations).

For example, a level 6 Artificer with at least 16 INT (granting 3 infusions) could use his 3 1st-level spell slots to imbue his Power Armor with jump, shield of faith (regular concentration rules apply) and false life. The Artificer can then cast these spells "at-will" while wearing his Armor.

jaappleton
2017-06-03, 06:38 AM
power armor.

You become proficient in heavy armor. In addition, you create a suit of plate mail that can only be worn/activated by you (or another artificer).

This armor can be infused as per usual. Unlike a standard infusion, however, spells used to enhance the armor that also have a duration longer than instant remain stored in the armor until the artificer changes them. (in effect, the artificer can spend his infusions on his armor to get the mechanical equivalence of warlock invocations).

For example, a level 6 artificer with at least 16 int (granting 3 infusions) could use his 3 1st-level spell slots to imbue his power armor with jump, shield of faith (regular concentration rules apply) and false life. The artificer can then cast these spells "at-will" while wearing his armor.

iron gnome!