PDA

View Full Version : DM Favortisim

Nevar
2007-08-03, 10:03 AM
Ok so there we were, we had a group member new to DM'ing start a new game. And this person was used to a past DM where the he would have each character do something epic at like lvl 5 IE build a city that just so happens to recruit some awsome band of rogue warriors that can kick everyones ass. But your still lvl 5... Anyways we start out and immediatly one of the players says I'm the bastard son of an elvin king but it's ok because I don't know it yet and I'm going to build a city and I'll get the money because a past character invested in potatos and now I have alot of money. And the DM allows it.... Anyways I figure well in that case I'll do something simular and state I'll build a city as well so the DM tells us to spend a week to describe how we are going to do that to that and I spend a whole week writing down exactly how I plan on building a city, I include logistics, advertising, location, financing, a city grid what's where what's going to be zoned if this happens I'll do this to fix it. Basically about 10 pages of stuff. Typed no written so we sit down for the next session the other pc comes in and says I go arround and gather the best mages to come study at a library I'm building in which case the DM says since you start a center of learingin you get a city of 5 million or some ridiculas number. I calmly hand over my 10 page written document to the DM and describe pretty much what I do first. He tells me in the time it takes the other PC to get a city of 5 million, I get like 500... I didn't play to much after that with that DM.

Swooper
2007-08-03, 10:18 AM
Such is life. Some DMs really shouldn't be DMing, so just find a new group to play with.

Drider
2007-08-03, 10:37 AM
5 MILLION CASTERS IN A NATION?!...

yea...just had to say that

Leon
2007-08-03, 10:40 AM
Critical mass

Nevar
2007-08-03, 10:43 AM
Such is life. Some DMs really shouldn't be DMing, so just find a new group to play with.

Oh I did, I got stationed somewhere else :-D

SpikeFightwicky
2007-08-03, 10:44 AM
Are you playing D&D or SimDark Ages? The whole city build thing seems very odd...

Anyways, how come the DM assumes that just because the PC has a library, that mages will flock to it? It would be like going to Harvard, saying that you just founded a new University, and expecting every prof to come work for you... This whole thing is just weird.

ufo
2007-08-03, 10:52 AM
5 MILLION CASTERS IN A NATION?!...

yea...just had to say that

... and some says 'nuke' is a modern term.

Yes, nuke is a term.

Nevar, if you see that DM ever again, please swhack him in the backhead with the D&D core books glued together. Or any books of equal weight. 5 million people because of a library... man, I know what my career's going to be.

EDIT: I mixed the word 'smack' and 'whack', because that sounds fun.

kpenguin
2007-08-03, 10:56 AM
Nevar, if you see that DM ever again, please smack him in the backhead with the D&D core books glued together. Or any books of equal weight. 5 million people because of a library... man, I know what my career's going to be.

Don't listen to ufo. Smack him in the back of the head with all the D&D core books with choice sourcebooks attached. Repeatedly.

Nevar
2007-08-03, 10:58 AM
Unfortanitly he's one of my good friends. I just don't let him DM anymore you can add that to the list of 'things I'm not allowed to do in game anymore.'

bosssmiley
2007-08-03, 02:32 PM
Sounds like you were bilked Nevar. Just nod, smile and walk away, vowing never to game with that guy again.

Had similar with a previous GM.
Favoritism in char gen ("You told me 25 point buy..." and "So Drow don't have LA now? 'kay."), screwy treasure allocation (essentially: "WBL? Did you not get the memo about it not applying to you?") and a remarkable number of conveniently one-sided fiat decisions (a plethora of handwave antimagic when I was playing a batman wizard, my ranger's favored monster type seemingly going extinct overnight, autofail DCs galore, the ruling that "Conditions like fatigued, exhausted, nauseated, etc. apply when I say they do.", etc. ad nauseum).

I don't mind handwaving rules, or massaging DCs, or fudging rolls, when it's in service to the story and in pursuit of the players having a good time; but there are limits to how much bias, favoritism and sheer outright GM laziness even happy-go-lucky Eggy will take. I game to play a hero, not to be the DM's b*tch. :smallannoyed:

Eventual answer, after all reasoning and pleading for evenhandedness had failed: walk away. And explain to any who ask for a 'GM reference' exactly where the guilty party's faults lie. :smallamused:

Weredwarf
2007-08-03, 02:36 PM
I'm the bastard son of an elvin king but it's ok because I don't know it yet and I'm going to build a city and I'll get the money because a past character invested in potatos and now I have alot of money.
I hope that wasn't in game. I'm also impressed by having 10 pages of information on your Character's city, I don't think the DM had that much information on any of his cities. Also having 5 million casters in his town is ridiculous, much less because it had a library .

Bassetking
2007-08-03, 02:59 PM
Don't listen to ufo. Smack him in the back of the head with all the D&D core books with choice sourcebooks attached. Repeatedly.

Teach him the true meaning of the word "Splatbook".

Falrin
2007-08-03, 09:09 PM
How much people live in his entire world?

Distract the people with
- a library nearer to their current location.
- no reason to emigrate
- no convenient means to travel the distance

Add the people who
- have a wisdom of <7
- have a reason to follow an unknown, 5th LvL character in building a city