PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Level 8 Assassin Rogue - Where to go next?

Caedem
2017-06-02, 11:31 AM
Hi I play in a combat heavy, minimal RP game (not Dungeon crawling, but DM gives info away like it's nothing and we never have to RP for it.)

I am currently a level 8 Rogue assassin, and I don't know where to go next. The higher level rogue features don't really sound too impressive. What's a good multiclass option that Could add a bit more utility/power in combat?

Str 8
Dex 20
Con 12
Int 15
Wis 9
Ch 15

Thanks in advance, C.

Kadarai
2017-06-02, 11:44 AM
Well, 2 more levels of Rogue for that Sneak Attack and the ability increase couldn't hurt, but if you really want to deviate from Rogue, Fighter is always a good choice. Battlemaster's Maneuvers will add a lot to your attacks and can provide frontline utility ontop of the added damage. Acion Surge, Combat Style and that small heal are just icing on the cake.

Given your CHA, have you considered paladin? Fighting stule, Lay on Hands and, ofcource, Smite!

If your WIS was a bit better I would definately go for Ranger for Favored Enemy and Slayer for the d8 vs damaged foes, and either Spelllless for more maneuver goodness or just normal for hunter's mark.

If you prefer caster for the added utility of spells, I'd recomend the warlock, just for the versatility of his class features, especially the Invocations. Then add Tome for Rituals or Familiar for a helping hand!

Hope I helped.

Specter
2017-06-02, 11:46 AM
Your best bets for a few levels:

- Fighter: a fighting style (Archery/TWF) is always good, and Second Wind doesn't hurt either. Action Surge and an archetype are great too.
- Bard: Bardic Inspiration, a skill and some utility spells right off the bat. If going Valor Bard, Extra Attack later down the road.
- Wizard: Find Familiar, Mage Armor and Shield. Good enoough on their own.

clash
2017-06-02, 11:53 AM
The ua artificer gunsmith scales well with rogue and has interesting abilities at the lower levels.

Corran
2017-06-02, 11:57 AM
Well, I normally like to have my assassins multiclass into caster, for spells like invisibility and alter self, but since your campaign is that combat-focused, I dont think that would be a good idea.

A spell like pass without a trace could be of much value for the same reason (combat focused campaign), but with that wisdom I dont think it it would be eay for you to get it (through lore bard you could get it at 6 levels from now, but that's a long time, and the skill monekying boost would not really help you since you are all combat), so you might want to convince someone else picking that up, if they can.

Sticking with more rogue levels is a choice, though you wont make the best use of the assassin features and of reliable talent, so that brings me to my suggestion, which is to start taking fighter levels, for a fighting style (I am assuming a ranged assassin, so archery), action surge, some maneuvres and extra attack.

ps: Knowing more of your build (race, feats) and of your group would help.

lunaticfringe
2017-06-02, 12:13 PM
Fighter, Lock, Sorcerer, Bard, Wizard are your options based on your stats.

I grabbed a bit of Feylock on my Assassin but I was Lightfoot and really just wanted Devil's Sight & occasional Hex & Faerie Fire. Fighter is also solid. More info on your Playstyle & race would help.

hymer
2017-06-02, 12:18 PM
Given your CHA, have you considered paladin?
If I'm not mistaken, paladin multiclassing requires str 13.

I'll add my vote to (battlemaster) fighter, though I must say my immediate thought is to stay singleclassed. Your options aren't exactly legion.

Kadarai
2017-06-02, 12:30 PM
If I'm not mistaken, paladin multiclassing requires str 13.

I'll add my vote to (battlemaster) fighter, though I must say my immediate thought is to stay singleclassed. Your options aren't exactly legion.

True. My bad. TBH stick to rogue! Most of your options would want to go rogue for the added benefits:smallsmile:

MrWesson22
2017-06-02, 09:56 PM
Battlemaster fighter will add a lot of damage, especially once you get to fighter 5 for extra attack. Precision attack allows you to turn sharpshooter misses into hits (not to mention the +2 from archery style means less misses to begin with), and the extra d8 damage from other maneuvers is nice too.

Khrysaes
2017-06-02, 10:20 PM
Battlemaster fighter 8/Rogue 12, gets you more ASI and a bunch of nice features.

Fighter 8/Rogue 8/Spell-less Revised Ranger 4, gets you almost the same features, 1 less ASI, extra superiority dice and maneuvers, natural explorer, favored enemy, second fighting style, Deepstalker(meshes well with assassin), or Hunter extra damages.

Arkhios
2017-06-04, 03:21 AM
While I agree that Assassin's 9th level feature isn't all that impressive on its own, your stats are quite perfect for it, unless your campaign has very little opportunities to use it.
However, 10th level for extra ASI and 11th level for Reliable Talent are very useful abilities in my honest opinion. I'd wait until then, and might actually consider Warlock for 9 levels afterwards.