PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Paladin with a possible dip in Barb?...

Nefariis
2017-06-02, 12:03 PM
Now I know what you're thinking -- cant rage in heavy armor and unarmored defense will leave you with a MAD issues...

My character is level 6 human variant paladin with shield/quarterstaff/HWM/PAM

we just started and we are allowed to change things throughout the first few sessions - so I was thinking of redo-ing the stats too

16 str, 16 con, 14 dex, 10 wiz, 8 cha, 8 int point buy with half plate/shield = 19 ac

I figured I could keep my wiz low as I dont think I will be casting offensive spells - my primary use for spell slots will be bless, healing, and divine smite

So the plan is 5-6 levels of paladin, then picking up 2 levels of barbarian (maybe 3 for bear/wolf totem) to gain rage/reckless attack

We have another tank in the party (war cleric) who has 18ac with warcaster - and I was thinking of having him pick up Sentinel so we can stand next to each other and he can distract opponents since I will be using reckless for every attack.

We both have access to bless, so when I'm not raging I can have it up, and when I am he can have it up.

what do you guys think? would it be worth a 2-3 level dip to be able to rage and attack with advantage on every turn (and the possibility of bear/wolf)

Feuerphoenix
2017-06-02, 01:33 PM
Why do you have HWM as a Feat? You can't use it with your quater staff. Better go with shield master :)

ChampionWiggles
2017-06-02, 01:42 PM
Those stats won't work. To multiclass, you need to fulfill requirements for BOTH classes and Paladin requires STR + CHA = 13

Arkhios
2017-06-02, 01:52 PM
Those stats won't work. To multiclass, you need to fulfill requirements for BOTH classes and Paladin requires STR + CHA = 13

Not "+" per se.

Str "&" Cha 13.

Reading literally, the way you presented it suggests that if at least the total of your Str and Cha is at least 13 you'd qualify, which would be false.

ChampionWiggles
2017-06-02, 01:58 PM
That was my mistake. I was using "+" as a different "and" symbol. But yea, I can see how that can be misinterpreted.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-02, 02:07 PM
Now I know what you're thinking -- cant rage in heavy armor and unarmored defense will leave you with a MAD issues...

My character is level 6 human variant paladin with shield/quarterstaff/HWM/PAM

we just started and we are allowed to change things throughout the first few sessions - so I was thinking of redo-ing the stats too

16 str, 16 con, 14 dex, 10 wiz, 8 cha, 8 int point buy with half plate/shield = 19 ac

I figured I could keep my wiz low as I dont think I will be casting offensive spells - my primary use for spell slots will be bless, healing, and divine smite

So the plan is 5-6 levels of paladin, then picking up 2 levels of barbarian (maybe 3 for bear/wolf totem) to gain rage/reckless attack

We have another tank in the party (war cleric) who has 18ac with warcaster - and I was thinking of having him pick up Sentinel so we can stand next to each other and he can distract opponents since I will be using reckless for every attack.

We both have access to bless, so when I'm not raging I can have it up, and when I am he can have it up.

what do you guys think? would it be worth a 2-3 level dip to be able to rage and attack with advantage on every turn (and the possibility of bear/wolf)

More importantly, imagine the roleplaying. You're always about helping the weak and defenseless, fighting the good fight- but sometimes, you become filled with JUSTICE. AND YOU MUST DELIVER IT.

Nefariis
2017-06-02, 03:49 PM
Wow, I really overlooked a few things

For some reason I always read the multi classing rules as you just had to have the requirement of the one you are going into - but I just re-read the PHB and your story checks out (I have definitely gotten away with that a few times though, whoops)

I dont know what I was thinking about the quarterstaff/HWM... my original build was using a Halberd so I guess I just kept the feat, I will probably just go back to the halberd though. Shield mastery just doesn't seem that cool to me and the bonus +10 to damage potentially 4x a round seems much more worth while.

So I guess if I were to re-roll the stats to qualify for both it would looks something like this

16 str, 16 con, 13 cha, 12 dex, 8 wiz, 8 int = 16ac with half-plate/no shield - which is the same as standard ringmail

which isnt terrible, but I guess the question still stands - is it worth a 2-3 level dip into barbarian? any pro's/con's im not thinking of?

Attacking recklessly in a blind rage, delivering justice sounds pretty sweet - as a bonus, having advantage/bless(from cleric)/rage/resistance/divine smiting

PeteNutButter
2017-06-02, 10:26 PM
Wow, I really overlooked a few things

For some reason I always read the multi classing rules as you just had to have the requirement of the one you are going into - but I just re-read the PHB and your story checks out (I have definitely gotten away with that a few times though, whoops)

I dont know what I was thinking about the quarterstaff/HWM... my original build was using a Halberd so I guess I just kept the feat, I will probably just go back to the halberd though. Shield mastery just doesn't seem that cool to me and the bonus +10 to damage potentially 4x a round seems much more worth while.

So I guess if I were to re-roll the stats to qualify for both it would looks something like this

16 str, 16 con, 13 cha, 12 dex, 8 wiz, 8 int = 16ac with half-plate/no shield - which is the same as standard ringmail

which isnt terrible, but I guess the question still stands - is it worth a 2-3 level dip into barbarian? any pro's/con's im not thinking of?

Attacking recklessly in a blind rage, delivering justice sounds pretty sweet - as a bonus, having advantage/bless(from cleric)/rage/resistance/divine smiting

Just drop your con to 14 and use a 14 dex so you have a decent AC. Take barbarian for first level so you get con saves. Go barb 1/paladin 5 then barb or paladin as you see fit looking like paladin 6/barb 4 by level 10 and never go back to barbarian. I posted a build a while back using this setup and then threw in bard for cutting words, another thing usable while raging.

bid
2017-06-02, 11:17 PM
Because of PAM, you can risk Dex12 and grab defense style. But I'd drop to Con14 first and start barbarian for the save. Same as PeteNutButter said.

If you really want PAM+GWM at level 5, you could vuman 16 13 14 8 12 13 and even out Dex/Cha at level 9.
Otherwise you can 16 14 14 8 10 14 as a half-elf or mountain dwarf and delay/drop GWM.
I feel getting both is overkill, but it depends how much fun you have with that combo.

You could also completely skip reckless attack and just use sacred weapon (devotion) or vow of enmity (vengeance) when you need to cancel GWM penalty.