PDA

View Full Version : Firefly

Icewalker
2007-08-03, 10:35 AM
I've started watching the Firefly episodes that exist.

I've seen four so far, and I'm already mad they canceled it.

There are really some great lines, generally on the part of the captain:

Wins a duel (swords) has the other guy on the ground, blade at his throat. It's humiliation to be left alive after losing a duel. He says something along the lines of "Mercy shows a great man".

*Stabs the guy in a non-fatal way*
So I'm just a good man.
*Stabs him again*
Well, I'm alright.

Jack Squat
2007-08-03, 11:55 AM
looks like we have another one to bring into our ranks guys...I'll get the stuff for the initiation

*grabs an apple, a bag of tuna, a whip, and a frying pan*

WampaX
2007-08-03, 12:01 PM
Just so other browncoats are up to date,
There is a new edition of Serinity (http://www.amazon.com/Serenity-Collectors-Nathan-Fillion/dp/B000Q9IZ5C/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-6189650-1808719?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1186160355&sr=8-2) coming out with a good bit more extras tagged onto it.

Bookman
2007-08-03, 12:07 PM
This is sorta creepy....... I started rewatching a couple of episodes an hour ago..... And now there's a thread..... o.O *insert dramatic music*

WAIT! *record scratch* This is better!

Take My love, Take My land, Take me where I cannot stand, I don't care I'm still free You can't take the sky from me! There's no place I can be since I found Serenity!

ZombieRockStar
2007-08-03, 12:10 PM
Got ya beat, Bookie. (http://www.mediafire.com/?6mkdu2dzzu1) :smalltongue:

There's actually two songs there, both very poorly recorded.

Big damn heroes, Sir. :smallcool:

Ava
2007-08-03, 12:35 PM
I need to make myself a big fluffy pink dress. I have a LiveJournal friend who already did.

Midnight Son
2007-08-03, 12:55 PM
I need to make myself a big fluffy pink dress. I have a LiveJournal friend who already did.Me too. Nothing says Firefly fan like a big fluffy pink dress.:smallbiggrin:

Welcome to the club, Icewalker. You now have a choice to make. You can join the throng wailing for more Firefly or you can group up with the destroy Fox faction.

Alyorbase
2007-08-03, 01:02 PM
I love the one-liners in Firefly and Serenity. One of my favorites from the show is "Jayne! Your mouth is talking you might wanna see to that!":smallamused:

valadil
2007-08-03, 02:15 PM
I feel like something's wrong with me. I didn't like Firefly or Battlestar. I mean, they're okay but I just never saw what all the fuss was about.

Dragor
2007-08-03, 02:25 PM
I feel like something's wrong with me. I didn't like Firefly or Battlestar. I mean, they're okay but I just never saw what all the fuss was about.

*gets trampled to death by Firefly and BSG fans*

I could sit here explaining why they both rock, but I'm not going to. Some people like Star Trek, some like Star Wars. I like them because the characters aren't as clean cut as in other sci-fi series. Firefly manages to sustain suspension, laughter and action through-out the whole series, all in equal balance.

I don't like Star Trek.... sue me. :smallcool: I never saw what all the fuss about with that was, either. I didn't like the settings or the aliens. And I hated the fact that Jean-Luc Picard was an epic level Paladin with the worlds largest stick firmly rammed up his behind.

Now, Captain Adama.... now THERE'S a man. :smallwink:

Pwenet
2007-08-03, 02:26 PM

HERETIC!!!!!

*Runs to get the burning oil, his brown cloak fluttering behind him as he runs.*

Nah, in all seriousness, to each his/her own.

WampaX
2007-08-03, 02:38 PM

Its okay valadil,
I, too, am still not a big fan of BSG.

Firefly . . . well, not a fanatic, but a fan. Wish it was still on and going.

Greebo
2007-08-03, 03:06 PM
I loved Firefly.

BSG stared out very strong, but lately has been going downhill.

The latest turn is just weak...

bigbaddragon
2007-08-03, 08:09 PM
Now, Captain Adama.... now THERE'S a man.

And a powerful voice too. I mean men like that were made to talk and be listened to.

I liked BSG for the first season and most of the second very much, then it kinda became a little boring to me. The thing that amused me greatly was the way that the Cylons played with Baltar: "Now we'll kill you, now we won't. On the second thought we will ....".

You now have a choice to make. You can join the throng wailing for more Firefly or you can group up with the destroy Fox faction.

I'm a big fan of Firefly too and I have a proposal regarding your post:
First we destroy Fox just in order to be taken for seriously and then we wail for more Firefly.

Cyrano
2007-08-03, 08:42 PM
Its okay valadil,
I, too, am still not a big fan of BSG.

Firefly . . . well, not a fanatic, but a fan. Wish it was still on and going.

Now, wampa, you don't care, per se, but that is possibly the only way you could get me to not respect you. I mean, come on. BSG tepidness? Firefly non-fanatichood? These are the marks of a man with bad taste!*
*Defined as a man with taste slightly different from mine.

Regardless, (This is adressed to other people now) Firefly is about the geniusest thing ever, which should be obvious, since Whedon wrote it. I mean, barring the last 40 episodes of Buffy excepting the musical and Alien Four, the man has brough nothing but good!
Oh, wait, I mentioned Whedon's flaws. I'm dead now.

But my point was, Firefly is as good as FSM and Cthulhu and should be regarded as the guiding light for all awesomeness. If you ever have a problem, imagine, WWACMOSD? What would a crew member of Serenity do?
Since there are 9 of 'em, you've got a nice range of options, too.

StickMan
2007-08-03, 11:02 PM
Welcome to the club, Icewalker. You now have a choice to make. You can join the throng wailing for more Firefly or you can group up with the destroy Fox faction.

Wait wait wait your saying if my plan to destroy Fox works all hope for Firefly is gone. You can't do this to me I've been planing operation destroy Fox before Firefly. I mean they have killed so many shows I liked, DarkAngel, True Calling, John Doe the list goes on.... this plan has been years and waiting and I'm with in four months of my goal the total destruction of the fox network. Can't another net work pick up firefly? SCI FI, ABC, CBS, NBC, I'll take anything but now your telling me I have to pick firefly or the destruction of Fox. I LOVE FIREFLY are you saying there is hope. TELL ME NOW (goes crazy)

Also best firefly quote is "If someone tries to kill you you just try to kill them right back"

Emperor Tippy
2007-08-03, 11:38 PM
Wait wait wait your saying if my plan to destroy Fox works all hope for Firefly is gone. You can't do this to me I've been planing operation destroy Fox before Firefly. I mean they have killed so many shows I liked, DarkAngel, True Calling, John Doe the list goes on.... this plan has been years and waiting and I'm with in four months of my goal the total destruction of the fox network. Can't another net work pick up firefly? SCI FI, ABC, CBS, NBC, I'll take anything but now your telling me I have to pick firefly or the destruction of Fox. I LOVE FIREFLY are you saying there is hope. TELL ME NOW (goes crazy)

Also best firefly quote is "If someone tries to kill you you just try to kill them right back"

Hmm. We like a lot of the same shows. And NBC and ABC cancel far to many good shows, maybe CBS. They tend to get more thinky type shows that last.

Platinum_Mongoose
2007-08-03, 11:40 PM
Woot! Firefly! Huzzah!

Yeah.

The Duskblade
2007-08-03, 11:51 PM

maybe I'm wrong but I have heard it said that Joss is not gonna be writing firefly for Fox. So go on destroy fox and get them to sell the rights of Firefly to someone with a clue.

Icewalker
2007-08-04, 12:30 AM
In four episodes I've already learned that Firefly's one-liners just RULE. Often more 2-3 line exchanges than one-liners, but still.

Paraphrasing

"I'll hunt you down to the ends of the universe! And the last thing you'll see is my blade!"
"...darn." *Kicks him back into jet engine*

"Mercy is the sign of a great man...*stab* so I'm just a good man. *stab* well, I'm alright."

"Say that to my face."
"I said the rebels were a bunch of (insert insult) and pisspots. What're you gonna do about it?"
"Nothing, I just wanted you to face me so she could get behind you." *crunch*

"What happens if they get aboard the ship?"
"Then, they r*** us to death, eat our flesh, and sew our skin to their clothing.
And, if we're very, very lucky, they'll do it in that order."

By the way, I went a bought the Main intro, because it's awesome.

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the skies from me.
Take me out, to the black, they'll know I ain't coming back.
Burn the land, and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity, you can't take the sky from me.

*Puts on a brown coat and joins the mob*

Actually, I heard the movie was very bad, and in particular contained mistakes that would negatively affect the show if it continued. i.e. death.

Midnight Son
2007-08-04, 01:36 AM
As if the death of a character ever stopped Whedon before...

No, I believe what's stopping it form continuing is two-fold: Fox holds the TV rights and the actors have moved on to other projects.

Pendragonx
2007-08-04, 10:35 AM
Joss should just make a new show and title it Not-Firefly :D

smellie_hippie
2007-08-04, 11:04 AM
I love the one-liners in Firefly and Serenity. One of my favorites from the show is "Jayne! Your mouth is talking you might wanna see to that!":smallamused:

River: Plus... I can kill you with my brain.

Jack Squat
2007-08-04, 11:19 AM
Actually, I heard the movie was very bad, and in particular contained mistakes that would negatively affect the show if it continued. i.e. death.

Actually, the movie isn't a continuation of the show, so it could work.

Simon and River are brought onboard in a different manner, Simon hires the Serenity to help him extract River from the Alliance building. Plus the Alliance only wants River because of some secret she has, they could care less about what happens to Simon

StickMan
2007-08-04, 12:51 PM

Simon and River are brought onboard in a different manner, Simon hires the Serenity to help him extract River from the Alliance building. Plus the Alliance only wants River because of some secret she has, they could care less about what happens to Simon

you sure about that. I thought it was a continuation of the TV show. We never actually see Simon Hire Serenity to help him get her out we just see a ship lift them out of that building. Unless this was in the comic or somthing.

Also the movie rocked and to say other wise is just madness.

averagejoe
2007-08-04, 02:27 PM
But my point was, Firefly is as good as FSM and Cthulhu and should be regarded as the guiding light for all awesomeness. If you ever have a problem, imagine, WWACMOSD? What would a crew member of Serenity do?
Since there are 9 of 'em, you've got a nice range of options, too.

Use my charming allure while reading the Bible, doing surgery, buying a poofy dress, and shooting them, while simultaneously talking nonsense, making amusing mistakes in speech, threatening to hurt people, and playing with plastic dinosaurs. Basically the right solution for any situation. :smallwink:

Serenity
2007-08-04, 03:23 PM
Erm, no, Serenity is very definitely a continuation of the show. The ship that pulls up Simon and River in the opening sequence belongs to the organization that Simon mentions he was working with to free River in the first episode. And the interest has always been in River--Simon was only wanted because he helped River escape. And yeah, there are deaths, but to say that would necessarily negatively impact a continued show is an asurd generalization. One of the things I respect most aboout Joss Whedon is that he's willing to kill off characters for real and deal with that masterfully.

And I've got to disagree with the hate in on Buffy Seasons Six and Seven. The first season of Buffy was crap. Entertaining, highy amusing, occasionally genre/cliche subverting crap, but nonetheless, it was all about monster of the week format with very little character development. Then Spike burst onto the scene and Angel turned evil, and the show found its stride: something highly character-driven, where even the villains were nuanced, a sharp contrast to the one-note Master. Season Six has that in spades, dealing with all too human evils. I don't think I've ever seen a more brilliant fallen hero story than that precipitated by Tara's death, and Xander's yellow crayon speech was a thing of beauty. Season Seven carried the powerful theme of redemption, particularly in Anya, Andrew, Faith, and Spike. Andrew in particular was a delight to watch, and the scene where Spike explains to Buffy that he has been ensouled had me in tears. And Caleb? Sheer terrifying awesomeness. I think those last seasons were the epitome of what Buffy was.

Icewalker
2007-08-04, 03:34 PM
Well what I heard about the movie deaths was that they were bad choices, not that he did them badly. I could be wrong, because I haven't seen it, I am merely relaying views.

But man, you don't kill off a character who still has mysterious background to be uncovered, and there's all this mystery surrounding Book. Unless that's figured out in the second half of the episodes which I haven't seen.

The ID card that gets the alliance to give him medical treatment?
Knowing so much about illegal operations?

Tengu
2007-08-04, 04:07 PM
According to my knowledge, Whedon did in Serenity what he planned to do in the last 1-2 seasons of Firefly (if the show would be continued...) anyway, so I don't really see the point in calling the movie non-canon or not a continuation of the series...

It's also a great movie. Slightly worse than the series, but only slightly.

Icewalker
2007-08-04, 06:06 PM
Well what I got is that there should have been more in between.

So it seems that Jayne gets a lot of credit for things he did for a different reason. Jaynestown is all about this, and then there's the Jayne saving Simon part of Ariel.

Hawriel
2007-08-04, 08:45 PM
yeah Serenity was pritty much a continuation of the shows. go to your local book store or amazon and pick of the DVD box set of the show and a coppy of the movie. Get Ice cream, pizza, beer (if 21) coke and varios other asorted must have movie watching vidles and have a marathon with your friends. You will see that the running plot points are picked up in the movie.

All exept the assissins with blue hands. that was tied up in a 3 part comic book mini series by dark horse. or was it image? That came out shortly befor the movie.

as for killing off FOX. yes it must die. not just becouse it kills good shows real quick.

HELLO!! Space Above and Beyond!!!!!! good sci fi war story. and sargent Ermy was the drill instructor in the pilot:smallbiggrin:

But really they should die because they are also a giant propoganda mechine that distorts the news to fit what ever messup adgenda the radicals in the republican party want put out to the masses. they are the ANTI PBS and BBC

Godhand
2007-08-05, 02:23 PM
Sign me up.

"Wash, tell me I'm pretty."
"If I were unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion."
"Because I'm pretty?"
"Because your pretty."

Wash had the best lines... and screw ups for that matter.

Speaking of screw ups.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3237038979233437494
This is an extended section of gags, so don't be surprised if you haven't seen a few of these.

Thiel
2007-08-05, 06:51 PM
Got ya beat, Bookie.

There's actually two songs there, both very poorly recorded.

Big damn heroes, Sir.

And here (http://radioblogclub.com/open/68266/firefly/Firefly%20-%20The%20Ballad%20of%20Serenity) it is in a somewhat better version. It's a stream though.

And here's (http://www.tv-links.co.uk/listings/1/34) how it's supposed to be heard.
Or here (http://stage6.divx.com/videos/search:firefly) if you don't mind looking for it. (Better quality)

ZombieRockStar
2007-08-05, 07:01 PM
Uh...yeah. It was just me trying to record it. Don't look at me. I don't know what I'm doing with recording equipment. :smalltongue: Stupid Rhodes and his studio equipment.

Talya
2007-08-05, 07:47 PM
Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place.

Canada. We aim to misbehave.

Just a little patriotism for fellow Canucks Jewel Staite and Nathan Fillion. :)

Dragonrider
2007-08-05, 07:53 PM
I FINALLY saw Serenity this spring (I have the DVD sitting on my desk right now, next to the Return of the King extended edition). MAN, it was well worth the money I paid! It can't beat the series, though. There's just something totally awesome about a cowboy space opera....man.

Logic
2007-08-05, 08:01 PM
I recently began watching it again myself. I am also in the "Destroy Fox" camp, but I prefer to take it over via guerilla warfare.

I FINALLY saw Serenity this spring (I have the DVD sitting on my desk right now, next to the Return of the King extended edition). MAN, it was well worth the money I paid! It can't beat the series, though. There's just something totally awesome about a cowboy space opera....man.

Well, that is kinda how Star Trek: TOS and Star Trek: DS9 were supposed to be. Roddenberry even stated that was his original idea for Star Trek. Cowboys in space.

Kirk is the Lawman, with a laser pistol!

As for DS9, the aspect of it being on a station made it more like a frontier western town.

The Saloon owner (Quark) the Constable (Odo) the Mayor (Sisko) the old coutry doctor (Bashir) the handyman (O'Brien) the pretty schoolteacher (somewhat filled by Dax)

Icewalker
2007-08-05, 08:39 PM
I'm pretty sure my favorite line(s?) in the show is:

"Mercy is the mark of a great man. *stab* guess I'm just a good man. *stab* Well, I'm alright."

Also, shortly after that, somebody says
"You didn't have to wound that man."
"Yeah I know, it was just funny."

Although I'll be sure what my favorite line is after I've watched all of them about 50 times.

Syka
2007-08-05, 09:15 PM
I tried picking a favorite line. It failed.

I tried picking a favorite episode. Also failed.

As for the Serenity haters: Poo on you! Serenity is a continuation of the show, no doubt about it, and I have also heard Joss did in the movie what he would have done had Firefly not been canceled. All the deaths that happened, the actors knew before the movie was even going to be made, that they would die.

Admittedly, there are still loose ends I would like tied up (for instance, Book), but the mystery is part of the fun. I don't hold hope for Firefly returning new.

I will say, the only reason I began watching Firefly was because of Alan Tudyk who played Wash, who was and still is my favorite actor. :)

Cheers,
Syka

maskimus
2007-08-06, 12:44 PM
Jayne: "I'll be in my bunk."

Book: "A special place in hell, along with child molesters...
and people who talk at the theatre."

ALOR
2007-08-07, 09:45 PM
So i just recently watched the entire firefly series. It was absolutly wonderful. I don't even remember this series being advertised? I guess this series will go down with "dead like me" as really great shows i loved that got canceled.:smallfurious:
sorry I know this is a random rant and probably way over due considering the series was canceled 5 years ago but i just felt like venting.

Logic
2007-08-07, 10:00 PM
You are not the only one that was unaware. But for future reference, it is better to see if a recent thread exists (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52627) about one topic before starting a new one.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-07, 10:05 PM
Because you watched the network it was broadcast on, rather than reading the internet. Everyone knows that Fox's advertising and scheduling departments are based on Planet Bizarro.

"On Sundays, we am putting STUPID shows like Futurama in 7:30/6:30 TIMESLOT! They am NO be overrun by football games."
"I DISAGREE! And there am NO way we am advertise a Joss Whedon action-drama over Life on a Stick."

ALOR
2007-08-07, 10:10 PM
You are not the only one that was unaware. But for future reference, it is better to see if a recent thread exists (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52627) about one topic before starting a new one.

crap,:smallmad: i even looked down the page before posting this, my fault

Logic
2007-08-07, 10:20 PM
crap,:smallmad: i even looked down the page before posting this, my fault

No problem. Eveyone makes mistakes.

Tengu
2007-08-07, 10:34 PM
Hallelujah! Another soul converted!

Lilly
2007-08-07, 10:43 PM
Welcome to the club. We have cookies.

Cyrano
2007-08-07, 10:49 PM
You know, they never actually ate cookies. I think we have fresh space strawberries.

Tengu
2007-08-08, 12:16 AM
You know, they never actually ate cookies.

Does Simon's birthday cake count?

kjones
2007-08-08, 12:18 AM
Without a doubt, my favorite line in the entire series is from Jaynestown, where Wash is looking at the statue, and says,

"I think they really captured him... captured his essence."

It's not laugh-out-loud funny, but it touches something deep within me.

My theory on Firefly: All good shows that start with F are doomed. Firefly, Futurama, Farscape, Freaks and Geeks... There's a common thread here.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-08, 12:37 AM
And all of them were on...

Fox. F-names are just cursed.

Except Farscape...damn, my theory is ruined.

LordShaper
2007-08-08, 05:42 AM
It could, but the ship almost completely blew up after they started eating it so just to be on the safe side, let's refrain from it:smalltongue: :smallsmile: :smallbiggrin:

bigbaddragon
2007-08-08, 06:52 AM
Cowboys in space.
As for DS9, the aspect of it being on a station made it more like a frontier western town.

Anyone remembers the Saber Rider & Star Sheriffs cartoon?

Pwenet
2007-08-08, 07:35 AM
Serenity cookies?

Hmmmm - Something to do next time cookie are being made.

And this YouTube video link shows you the geniuses behind Fox

Linkie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEtZHOj4vHo)

Yes it is for Futurama, but since they got similar treatment, they also have a big bone to pick with fox.

ALOR
2007-08-08, 09:03 AM
so i take it thier is no chance of Firefly or a spinoff series being made by the sci-fi channel or the CW network or something. I just love all of the characters. :smallfrown:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-08, 10:38 AM
That's a faint possibility, but as the movie Serenity merely broke even at the box office, it's not likely to be picked up by another producer. Although on the plus side, I think Universal currently has the rights rather than Fox; the latter is notoriously draconian about releasing spinoff rights. I'm amazed Universal got to make the movie in the first place.

Oh yeah, the movie Serenity is a sequel to the series that ties up a couple of really major plot points. Just realized that I'm not sure if you'd seen it. If not, go. Watch. Serenity. Now.

Icewalker
2007-08-08, 10:45 AM
Firefly ftw. I just watched it too, (and started that other thread actually). I haven't seen Serenity, but I've heard from a few people that it rules, and from some that the movie is alright, but retroactively detracts from the fun of the episodes, knowing what will happen. What is needed is more show between the end of season 1 and Serenity.

"Preacher, don't the bible have some pretty specific things to say about killin'?"
"Very specific. It is however a lot fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps. *takes down rifle*"

ALOR
2007-08-08, 11:05 AM
Oh yeah, the movie Serenity is a sequel to the series that ties up a couple of really major plot points. Just realized that I'm not sure if you'd seen it. If not, go. Watch. Serenity. Now.

oh yes, actully i saw the movie before i saw the series. :smallwink:

adanedhel9
2007-08-08, 12:32 PM
Although on the plus side, I think Universal currently has the rights rather than Fox; the latter is notoriously draconian about releasing spinoff rights. I'm amazed Universal got to make the movie in the first place.

I believe Fox still has the rights to a television version of the concept. Universal just has the movie rights.

Flakey
2007-08-08, 01:39 PM
Wins a duel (swords) has the other guy on the ground, blade at his throat. It's humiliation to be left alive after losing a duel.

This is the first episode I saw, and unlike you, greatly turned me off Firefly. The whole duel made me think its the biggest pile of dung since Highlander 2.

Ohh look his back is to me and I got a sword. What I do I now... run up to him so close that I can not use my sword, and get stabbed in the stomach for it BLLEHHHHHHH

The J Pizzel
2007-08-08, 01:49 PM
I watched the movie at a friends house by chance. Loved it. So I tell my other friend, the much nerdier one and he's like "dude, don't you remember that series I've got that I tried to get you to watch? Well, this is based on it".

So I borrowed the whole damn series and watched it in two days. My life is now merely a downward slope. I have nothing left to look forward too. OH, except I found out my wife is pregnant. That's cool.

Anyway, I'm watching the first season of Battlestar Galactica tonight. I hear it's almost as good as Firefly.

pizzel

ALOR
2007-08-08, 01:54 PM
So I borrowed the whole damn series and watched it in two days. My life is now merely a downward slope. I have nothing left to look forward too. OH, except I found out my wife is pregnant. That's cool.

allow me to be the first on this thread to congratulate you on your good news. I guess the lesson here is to raise you child to watch obscure sci-fi series so as not to repeat your mistakes :smallwink:

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-08-08, 02:09 PM
This is the first episode I saw, and unlike you, greatly turned me off Firefly. The whole duel made me think its the biggest pile of dung since Highlander 2.

Ohh look his back is to me and I got a sword. What I do I now... run up to him so close that I can not use my sword, and get stabbed in the stomach for it BLLEHHHHHHH

Well, Mal was supposed to be completely clueless about swordplay....

Flakey
2007-08-08, 02:29 PM
Well, Mal was supposed to be completely clueless about swordplay....

Mal supposed to be clueless about swordplay granted, but not combat. I still no idea what he was supposed to be doing there, besides making a Kool (ie stupid) looking move to film.

His whole body posture is wrong for a body check, so even if the bad guy did nothing to Mal, all Mal would have done is bounced off the guy, or run straight past him. Again why? It makes absolutley no sence for him to run up to a turned back in the manner he did.

If he ran with his sword pointed to the guy, or started to swing before he got there, or even ran with the intention to flatten the guy into the ground I would be far more forgving. As it stands, even after watching it three or four times all I can conclude is Mal ran that way to get impailed, and thats the sole reason. What makes it totally rubbish.

WampaX
2007-08-08, 03:26 PM
Now, wampa, you don't care, per se, but that is possibly the only way you could get me to not respect you. I mean, come on. BSG tepidness? Firefly non-fanatichood? These are the marks of a man with bad taste!*
*Defined as a man with taste slightly different from mine.

Pfft. I own Those Left Behind (the comic bridge between the series and the movie), Firefly, Serenity and will purchase the NEW version of Serenity. I also attended a prescreening of Serenity and have the keychain and copy and poster to prove it hanging in my cube at work.

Just a Fan, not a fanatic. :smallcool:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-08, 03:45 PM
If he ran with his sword pointed to the guy, or started to swing before he got there, or even ran with the intention to flatten the guy into the ground I would be far more forgving. As it stands, even after watching it three or four times all I can conclude is Mal ran that way to get impailed, and thats the sole reason. What makes it totally rubbish.
Why watch one scene you dislike several times? Why not move on and watch something you might like better?

Besides, if you're going to dislike an entire show due to one instance of shoddy fight choreography, I don't see how you can watch television at all. Sometimes actors just bork up their blocking, and sometimes they don't bother reshooting it. Like this one time in the series.

And frankly, despite several rather badass action scenes, fighting isn't the point of the show. Much like Whedon's other action-drama-comedy-thing series, the real point is the characters and dialog, not the gunplay.

Flakey
2007-08-08, 04:20 PM
Why watch one scene you dislike several times?

Mostly because I was trying to work out what the hell was the thought behind the move.

Besides, if you're going to dislike an entire show due to one instance of shoddy fight choreography, I don't see how you can watch television at all.

Ahhh there we can agree. I am now watching 45 minutes of tv a week at the moment (heroes).

Mostly though its because sword fighting is a big hobby of mine, and is so easy to get right and still look flashy. Even to the extent of appearing in films and television. Notably not Gladiator, because a significant portion of the originally hired extras (For the begining battle scene) walked off before the filming began due to the lies we were told when we were hired.

bigbaddragon
2007-08-08, 05:03 PM
"Wash, tell me I'm pretty."
"If I were unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion."
"Because I'm pretty?"
"Because your pretty."

"Damn, who is flying this ship? ... (silence) ... Oh, I am" :smallbiggrin:

thedavo
2007-08-08, 06:24 PM
love the show, my friend bought me the dvd box set for christmas a few years ago after spending a summer going on about it. bought the film as soon as it came out.

both are awesome.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-08, 07:03 PM
Ahhh there we can agree. I am now watching 45 minutes of tv a week at the moment (heroes).
Hoo boy. If badly-done fight scenes are enough to drive you away from a show, I suggest not getting too emotionally committed.

PaladinFreak
2007-08-08, 11:07 PM
Blasphemy!

Obey the Five Commandments!

1. Thou Shalt Love Firefly
2. Thou Shalt Think Mal is KickA--
3. Thou Shalt Watch for the Sake of Character
4. Thou Shalt Accept Joss Whedon as Thy Personal Savoir!
5. Thou Shalt Structure Thy Life Around These Thy Commandments

Oh, what the heck. I'm a blasphemer myself. I only follow the first three.

SmartAlec
2007-08-09, 08:09 AM
What makes it totally rubbish.

The episode - 'Shindig' - that you refer to is actually a bit of an odd-episode-out in many respects. Try watching one of the other 12 episodes. Preferably, the pilot.

No swordfights in any of those, too.

Tengu
2007-08-09, 09:40 AM
To Flakey - are you saying that all the witty and funny dialogue in the episode was wasted for you due to one badly-made combat scene, even though combat is not Firefly's focus?

I don't really understand it.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-09, 10:39 AM
"Damn, who is flying this ship? ... (silence) ... Oh, I am" :smallbiggrin:
"This is an excellent land. We shall rule over this land, and we shall call it...this land."
"I think we should call it your grave!"
"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
"Ahahaha! Mine is an evil laugh. Arr, arr!"
"Agh, oh God, oh God!"

Sorry, just wanted to continue the chain of Wash quotes.

beholder
2007-08-09, 10:52 AM
i love shindig. the dialogue makes it shine, not the fights.

"mercy is the sign of a great man"
*stab*
"Guess i'm just a good man"
*stab*
"well i'm ok"

"you didn't have to stab that man"
"yeah i know, it was just funny"
:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallcool: :smallbiggrin:

elliott20
2007-08-09, 11:08 AM
I love firefly, and will be picking up my own copy of serenity when I get time to go shopping.

But I do have some issues with the movie myself, mostly because I have no idea how they're going to resolve the character background stories now that they've killed them off...

beholder
2007-08-09, 11:10 AM

OH SWEET MOTHER OF MONKEY! GOD YES! YOU HAVE MADE ME THE HAPPIEST MAN IN THE WORLD!

i loved wash. and book. i hated the way mr universe was as revered as them at the end. he was a throwaway, good character, but not a member of serenity

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-08-09, 02:13 PM
OH SWEET MOTHER OF MONKEY! GOD YES! YOU HAVE MADE ME THE HAPPIEST MAN IN THE WORLD!

i loved wash. and book. i hated the way mr universe was as revered as them at the end. he was a throwaway, good character, but not a member of serenity

Sadly your happiness must be short lived, see the whole idea of the River rescues being different doesn't fit, The ship that flies overhead isn't a firefly and thus not Serenity, Whedon has stated that any contradictions between the rescue in the movie and the rescue described by Simon can be attributed to Simon lying in the pilot.

Wolfgang
2007-08-09, 02:39 PM
But I do have some issues with the movie myself, mostly because I have no idea how they're going to resolve the character background stories now that they've killed them off...

If there were ever going to be Firefly again, which I seriously doubt, they would find a way. It isn't amazingly hard.

Of course, my hope is that it would pick up where the show left off, rather than the movie, so we can eventually see the movie as it was meant to be seen. As the last season.

elliott20
2007-08-09, 03:46 PM
the one thing I would REALLY like to see though, is see what River can do with her mind. I mean, she's already taunted Jayne about being able to kill him with her mind. But so far, other than getting wierd dreams and precognitions and all that, she hasn't actually used her psychic powers all THAT much.

SmartAlec
2007-08-09, 04:53 PM
I always had the feeling that the truth of River's statement - "I can kill you with my brain" - was graphically demonstrated by the Hands of Blue, with their uncanny ability to make other people haemorrage to death.

You might say that it wasn't psychic power but those little instruments they carried that did the haemorraging, but if those little instruments were some kind of psychic amplifiers, it answers the question of why the Hands of Blue themselves weren't affected.

bigbaddragon
2007-08-09, 05:30 PM
"This is an excellent land. We shall rule over this land, and we shall call it...this land."
"Agh, oh God, oh God!"

Nothing to be sorry about :smallsmile: . This one is one of my favorites (though its not that funny, its just that I personally like it) and its actually from the movie, the part when Wash is flying Serenity through the Aliance fleet followed by a throng of Reaver ships:

Wash: I'm a leaf on a wind, watch how I soar.
(ten seconds after that something hits them)
Mal (I think): The hell!?
Wash: Its ok, I'm a leaf on the wind.
Mal: What does that mean?
(a little later Mal sees what Wash intends to fly through)
Mal: No, no, no.
Wash: Yes, yes.

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-08-09, 10:26 PM
the one thing I would REALLY like to see though, is see what River can do with her mind. I mean, she's already taunted Jayne about being able to kill him with her mind. But so far, other than getting wierd dreams and precognitions and all that, she hasn't actually used her psychic powers all THAT much.

I think Whedon (in the Objects in Space commentary) says something about how he didn't plan on River doing anything beyond reading minds/hearing thoughts. Specifically he mentions how no one knew how far he was willing/going to go with the psychic/paranormal stuff when River "becomes the ship" i believe.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-09, 11:30 PM
Personally, I think mind-reading and "totally not a Slayer" powers work just fine by themselves. Can't give too many superpowers to a ninety-pound girl, or you risk her outdoing the whole rest of the cast.

SmartAlec
2007-08-10, 10:41 AM
There was her supernatural proficiency with guns, but it could be claimed that was less to do with psychic power and more to do with an eidetic memory, superior muscle control and supreme trigonometry skillz.

Syka
2007-08-10, 05:24 PM
Honestly, I think she was just screwing with Jayne when she said she could kill him with her mind, like she was screwing with the other guy. She has a good sense of humor like that, I think.

As for the Hands of Blue, they might have some sort of device that negates the effect of that thing. I mean, they obviously aren't normal. I do want to know more about them though.

All I really want to know is if Zoe is preggers. The episode with the prostitutes combined with Serenity made me think that, if there is a spin off, there will be the pitterpatter of little feet on board Serenity.

Cheers,
Syka

MostlyHarmless
2007-08-20, 04:59 PM
I just finished watching an 8th episode I recorded off the SciFi channel. Sounds like I have 4 more eps to find, yeehaaa.

Man, these characters make Star Wars seem like a high school play. I will now commence my mourning period and wait for my Kill FOX newsletter.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-20, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I've been writing death threats to Fox since 2004. It would have been sooner if I'd heard of Firefly while it was actually on.

Also sent anchovies. It was a very ill-advised Futurama revival scheme. Still, I have to wonder what the mailroom mooks thought of receiving a hundred or so tins of anchovies (well, at least half a dozen. Not sure who else followed through on that.)

MostlyHarmless
2007-08-21, 05:40 PM
Ok, which one of us is a self-made millionaire that could finance a fan film/series a la Star Wars: Revelations.

Maybe Josh would write more eps on a pro bono basis and we will just air them on youtube.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-21, 05:59 PM
The problem with that, Harmless, is that he'd have a cast who ain't been paid, a set with parts fallin' off it and, oh yeah, a powerful need to eat sometime this month.

Actually, Joss Whedon could probably afford to spend the rest of his life financing crap like that on Buffy residuals alone. The cast and crew of the show, not so much.

And besides, Fox/Universal/whoever lawyers would be all over it like...lawyers on YouTube. I'd just suggest digging up the three-part Firefly comic mini from somewhere, if you haven't read it. I plan to.

Tengu
2007-08-22, 03:55 AM
That's where the "self-made millionaire" part kicks in, Nerd-o-rama. Enough cash to sponsor the movie and buy your own lawyers.

As for the comic books - they are cool, though short, all three issues added together would probably make one episode. Some characters, most noticeably Simon and Inara, look strange on some panels, but that's more of a quirk than a drawback.

Alyorbase
2007-08-23, 07:05 AM
"Agh, oh God, oh God!"

I gotta continue with one of my favorite Wash quotes:

EDIT (fixing misquote): Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.

Mal: Define "interesting."

Wash: Oh God oh God, we're all gonna die?

TheRiov
2007-08-23, 07:55 AM
I gotta continue with one of my favorite Wash quotes:

Mal: How bad could it be?

Wash: Oh God oh God, we're all gonna die?

Slight misquote:
Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Define "interesting".
Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

followed by:
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: [on the ship's intercom] This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then - explode.

Jayne Cobb: We're gonna explode? I don't wanna explode!

Alyorbase
2007-08-23, 08:52 AM
Slight misquote:
Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Define "interesting".
Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

followed by:
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: [on the ship's intercom] This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then - explode.

Jayne Cobb: We're gonna explode? I don't wanna explode!

Thanks. Couldn't remember what Mal's line was right before Wash's line was. I will fix it now.

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-08-24, 05:50 PM
Well, i just got the new version of serenity (with most excellent packaging) and have heard most of the new commentary, which is quite funny, informative and entertaining. All in all, a good buy. Although, in the commentary, nathan and joss are very talkative, adam holds his own but Ron and Summer tend to not get their say in (or Summer is very, very quiet and Ron is not much of a talker either)

ray53208
2007-08-24, 08:46 PM
According to my knowledge, Whedon did in Serenity what he planned to do in the last 1-2 seasons of Firefly (if the show would be continued...) anyway, so I don't really see the point in calling the movie non-canon or not a continuation of the series...

It's also a great movie. Slightly worse than the series, but only slightly.

i think that if joss had just left in all the stuff that was in the deleted scenes it wouldve been better. dont get me wrong, i was a browncoat from day one. i have done a fair share of recruitment and organizing, i own multiple copies of the dvd sets... i LOVE this gorram show and movie!

but when you see the deleted scenes you just wonder why they were taken out. and then if you imagine them back in the movie it just flows wonderfully.

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-08-25, 12:47 PM
Hmm, in the new commentary Whedon states that the events of the movie would have been a significant section of season 2, with the 2nd season ending with finding Miranda, so i guess the show was only planned for 4 seasons...

UrsielHauke
2011-05-30, 12:30 AM
"Now, if somebody tries to kill you, you kill 'em right back."

--Cpt. Malcom Reynolds

Venctin
2011-05-30, 12:59 AM
Holy Thread Necromancy, Batman!

thorgrim29
2011-05-30, 01:02 AM
That's what, nearly 42 months? Gotta be a record.

Tengu_temp
2011-05-30, 06:12 AM
Old indeed. That was when I still had my old account. And I called Nerdo by his full username.

averagejoe
2011-05-30, 01:53 PM
The Mod They Call Me: Thread necromancy.

Jeesh, this show wasn't even very good. :smalltongue: