PDA

View Full Version : Amulet of Natural Attacks (Throwing)

LairdMaon
2017-06-02, 01:05 PM
Had a fun thought.

Setup: character has a bite attack, maybe it's a warforged with jaws of life. He's been permanently enlarged a size or two. He picks up swallow whole. Gets himself an amulet of natural attacks (throwing).

Does he then throw his entire head? What are the ramifications? How would swallow whole work out?

flappeercraft
2017-06-02, 01:14 PM
I don't know as per RAW but using rule of cool I would just make it so he can throw his mouth only and for swallow whole the mouth drags the person back where he swallows them.

LairdMaon
2017-06-02, 01:21 PM
It'd probably be wise to add returning to that amulet, lol!

Jormengand
2017-06-02, 01:23 PM
It'd probably be wise to add returning to that amulet, lol!

Of course, deliberately not adding returning to their amulets so they can throw their unarmed strikes - and therefore their whole bodies - is a great way for monks to get into combat...

There's probably a way to apply that here.

(Incidentally, there may also be a way to play with triple-throw - I like using it to create two monks which are copies of me, and then they finish their full attacks, and each attack they make causes two more monks to appear... but that's epic and might be difficult to fit in here).

LairdMaon
2017-06-02, 01:35 PM
Alright, I'm with you so far.

A monk who literally throws himself into combat... Add sizing and metaline to the amulet? Now the monk can alter his size at will. And what he's made of.

This is getting messed up. All that's needed is one level of monk.

Oh hell... Give him mongol fluff, let him throw his body parts as attacks, name him Lepr-Khan.

Jormengand
2017-06-02, 03:09 PM
You might be better with IUAS/SUAS than the actual monk level, as you may actually end up with a higher unarmed damage that way.

LairdMaon
2017-06-02, 03:19 PM
IUAS/SUAS?
What is this?

Psyren
2017-06-02, 03:26 PM
IUAS/SUAS?
What is this?

They're feats:

Improved UnArmed Strike
Superior UnArmed Strike

LairdMaon
2017-06-02, 03:28 PM
Gotcha, I'd never seen them abbreviated as such

Necroticplague
2017-06-02, 03:37 PM
Of course, deliberately not adding returning to their amulets so they can throw their unarmed strikes - and therefore their whole bodies - is a great way for monks to get into combat..

Alright, I'm with you so far.

A monk who literally throws himself into combat... Add sizing and metaline to the amulet? Now the monk can alter his size at will. And what he's made of.

That's not how modified unarmed strikes work. An unarmed attack is made with your body, but it isn't physically your body. Making your unarmed strike bigger does not alter your size category, ect. Not sure how people keep coming to these ridiculous conclusions.

LairdMaon
2017-06-02, 03:39 PM
Just being playful, my friend. Keeping it light and fun.

Jormengand
2017-06-02, 03:42 PM
That's not how modified unarmed strikes work. An unarmed attack is made with your body, but it isn't physically your body. Making your unarmed strike bigger does not alter your size category, ect. Not sure how people keep coming to these ridiculous conclusions.

The Necklace of Natural Attacks does specifically endorse adding Throwing (and indeed returning) to your unarmed strike (which can, of course, be made with any part of your body). What else does it mean to throw your unarmed strike if you're not actually throwing your body?

LairdMaon
2017-06-02, 03:45 PM
And I think throwing a bite or gore still sounds like a hilarious visual.

Thurbane
2017-06-02, 03:56 PM
I think the usual go-to for throwing your natural attacks is a combination of Regeneration and Detach abilities, then add in a Necklace of Natural Weapons with throwing and Returning.

@ the OP: be aware that an Amulet of Natural Attacks Mighty Fists has no ability (that I am aware of) to add specific weapon enhancements; you are probably thinking of the Necklace of Natural Weapons (Savage Species).

LairdMaon
2017-06-02, 03:58 PM
You are correct, Thurbane

Necroticplague
2017-06-02, 04:06 PM
The Necklace of Natural Attacks does specifically endorse adding Throwing (and indeed returning) to your unarmed strike (which can, of course, be made with any part of your body). What else does it mean to throw your unarmed strike if you're not actually throwing your body?

Where does it say throwing an unarmed strike moves you?

Deophaun
2017-06-02, 04:22 PM
Where does it say throwing an unarmed strike moves you?
Implication. Your body is the weapon. When you throw a weapon, it winds up in the space you threw it at. It doesn't have to say "your body moves when you throw your unarmed strike" because that's the default behavior for throwing a weapon. If you put throwing on one end of a double weapon, the entire weapon is going to end up in the enemy's square, not just the side that has the throwing property. It's no different here.

Besides, it's cool, so the rule of cool says so. :smalltongue:

Gruftzwerg
2017-06-02, 04:26 PM
A monk who literally throws himself into combat... Add sizing and metaline to the amulet? Now the monk can alter his size at will.

Throwing on Natural Attacks / Unarmed Strikes via necklace is mostly a DM call how he will rule it (if at all).

Sizing doesn't work the way you think. It increases only your weapon size, e.g. the fist, elbow, feet or knee you are using atm for that single attack.
You get dmg & combat modifiers for a colossal weapon, but your range and space stays the same (AC isn't affected either as plus).

LairdMaon
2017-06-02, 04:27 PM
Implication. Your body is the weapon. When you throw a weapon, it winds up in the space you threw it at. It doesn't have to say "your body moves when you throw your unarmed strike" because that's the default behavior for throwing a weapon. If you put throwing on one end of a double weapon, the entire weapon is going to end up in the enemy's square, not just the side that has the throwing property. It's no different here.

Besides, it's cool, so the rule of cool says so. :smalltongue:

All of this is the same reasoning that comes to me when I think about adding Sizing to a monk's unarmed attacks. Makes better sense to say the monk grew larger rather than just his fist.

LairdMaon
2017-06-02, 04:38 PM
Sorry for the double post.

Throwing on Natural Attacks / Unarmed Strikes via necklace is mostly a DM call how he will rule it (if at all).

Sizing doesn't work the way you think. It increases only your weapon size, e.g. the fist, elbow, feet or knee you are using atm for that single attack.
You get dmg & combat modifiers for a colossal weapon, but your range and space stays the same (AC isn't affected either as plus).

To quote the MIC: Activating a sizing weapon changes its size category to any other that you desire.

It says nothing about duration. Assist it's size as you please, as long as you please.
So, is it the fist that shrinks and grows at your pleasure?

Also, neither throwing nor sizing say that it's just the damage that's affected. They specify that it's the weapon itself affected

Deophaun
2017-06-02, 04:46 PM
To quote the MIC: Activating a sizing weapon changes its size category to any other that you desire.
There is a problem in that weapon sizes are not creature/object sizes:

A weapon’s size category isn’t the same as its size as an object. A Medium dagger (one sized for a Medium character), for instance, is a Tiny object (see Table 9–10: Size and Armor Class of Objects, page 166). Instead, a weapon’s size category is keyed to the size of the intended wielder. In general, a light weapon (such as a dagger) is an object two size categories smaller than the wielder, a one-handed weapon (such as a longsword) is an object one size category smaller than the wielder, and a two-handed weapon (such as a greatsword) is an object of the same size category as the wielder.
I'd say since the UAS and NAs are often treated as light weapons, the best you're going to get out of it is an increase to Huge (which is still pretty substantial). Otherwise it's fair (and likely less of a headache, as this would put you at Tiny while Medium) to say that only the limb you're striking with grows.

Besides, going with my double-weapon example, I'm pretty sure only one end is affected there as well.

LairdMaon
2017-06-02, 04:51 PM
Ha ha! How very One Piece!

Necroticplague
2017-06-02, 05:13 PM
The bolded is incorrect. Your body is not the weapon. Your UAS is the weapon. You make it using your body, but it is not your body, just as you cast a spell using spell slots, but your spell is not your spell slots.

DrMotives
2017-06-02, 05:37 PM
This all sounds a lot like making and Evil Dead / Army of Darkness campaign. A corporeal undead monk with reasonable LA throwing body parts sounds amazing.

Deophaun
2017-06-02, 06:55 PM
The bolded is incorrect. Your body is not the weapon. Your UAS is the weapon.
This is exactly why I brought up the double weapon, because of that. Yeah, you don't make the attack with the spear head when you use the +1 throwing axe head on the urgrosh, but the spear head winds up in the enemy's space regardless. It literally does not matter that the spear head is not the weapon.

Necroticplague
2017-06-02, 07:03 PM
This is exactly why I brought up the double weapon, because of that. Yeah, you don't make the attack with the spear head when you use the +1 throwing axe head on the urgrosh, but the spear head winds up in the enemy's space regardless. It literally does not matter that the spear head is not the weapon. You make the assumption that you throw the whole thing when you use Throwing on only one end. Any proof of this? After all, the other end isn't throwable.

LairdMaon
2017-06-02, 07:14 PM
You make the assumption that you throw the whole thing when you use Throwing on only one end. Any proof of this? After all, the other end isn't throwable.

Wouldn't the alternative be the weapon becoming break-apart?

Deophaun
2017-06-02, 07:37 PM
You make the assumption that you throw the whole thing when you use Throwing on only one end. Any proof of this? After all, the other end isn't throwable
It most certainly is. You just take a -4 penalty if you are trying to use it as a thrown weapon and it doesn't have a range increment.

Edit: Which, btw, means you can throw UASs without the throwing property. The throwing property just gets rid of the -4.

Gruftzwerg
2017-06-03, 12:40 AM
There is a problem in that weapon sizes are not creature/object sizes:

I'd say since the UAS and NAs are often treated as light weapons, the best you're going to get out of it is an increase to Huge (which is still pretty substantial). Otherwise it's fair (and likely less of a headache, as this would put you at Tiny while Medium) to say that only the limb you're striking with grows.

Besides, going with my double-weapon example, I'm pretty sure only one end is affected there as well.

"NA & US are always "considered" light weapons"
First, this category aims for the effort needed to wild a weapon. The combat modifiers (sunder, disarm..) are just related to this. So what this sentence means is, that despite the (modified) size of your US/NA, they always count as light weapon for you to wild (e.g. Power Attack gives always 1-1 values).
But if you would compare the size of the weapons for lets say a sunder attempt, it could be a colossal light weapon. Since US/NA always counts as light weapon to wild, the size doesn't affect your ability to wild em (despite their colossal size and that it would be more than 2 size categories difference).

bekeleven
2017-06-03, 02:39 PM
Oh man, can I quote the CaptnQ monk rant?

I want to quote the CaptnQ monk rant.

I'm going to quote the captnQ monk rant.

Talk to your DM.

1. Warn him you are planning on playing a optimized monk. When he gets done laughing, tell him, “I’m serious.” He will wipe a tear away from the corner of his eye and then, giggling, put a hand on your shoulder and tell it, “I think I can handle it.” Take a deep breath and tell him, “Don’ say I didn’t warn you.”

2. Ask him how he views a monk’s unarmed attack. This is important as the view point of your DM on the origin of attacks from a body location perspective is paramount to how you build your monk. If your DM sees it one way, you need to optimize in one direction. If he sees it another, you have other options. One is more broken then the other. Let him choose:

2a) Monks get 9 attack locations (Head, L. Hand, R Hand, Left Elbow, Right Elbow, Left Knee, Right knee, Left foot, right foot.) There is some conjecture as to the reach of the head location. If you are using the only rules that define the head location, your forehead has a reach of 0 feet, which means it is only of use when you are grappling someone. Why is this important? Each location can be enchanted separately.

2b) Some DMs subscribe to the “whole body” approach. I do not think that RAW supports this, but there is some documentation to support this viewpoint. If you subscribe to this view point, The monk’s “whole body” is a weapon. If his whole body is a weapon, then you cannot enchant specific parts separately from other parts. You might think that this is a nerf of the monk’s abilities, but it isn’t. In fact, of the two view points, this is much more broken. If you have a choice, say, your DM says, “Pick one.” You should ALWAYS choose this option. You will see later.

3) Ask him how many weapons one can have ready. Now, official, by the rules, you can have two weapons ready. A primary and a secondary. You can have an unlimited number of natural attacks. You can attack with the same weapon multiple times, but you can’t attack with more then two weapons. This would imply that you have at maximum two weapons at the ready at any time. Even if you don’t attack with it, you are limited to two weapons.

Now, some DMs let you have an unlimited number of weapons at the ready. Boot blades, elbow blades, knee blades, horned helmet, gauntlets, shields, hand held weapons, armor spikes AND armor razors can all be worn by the same person. Many DMs make the mistake of allowing all to be at the ready, and therefore, any enchantment on any given weapon is always on. The actual RAW of the matter is up in the air. But this doesn’t apply to you.

As a monk, you have attacks that are Natural Weapons. That means all nine locations are at the ready no matter what the DM thinks. You can mix and match between all nine locations if you desire. Other classes cannot do that. This is an exploitable loophole. If your DM states that you can have only two locations “at the ready” you need to adjust your build accordingly. It actually isn’t that much of a draw back, but you just need to plan for it.

4a) Is he allowing Dragon Magazine? Specifically #359, Body Alteration. Why? Because you want caps on your knuckles. They gives your hands the same properties as the material you select. You want it to be masterwork, so the base cost is 610 gp plus double the cost of the material. The weight is 1 pound. The material doesn’t have to be the same for each hand. The magazine suggests silver or cold Iron. There is no reason you cannot use it on all nine combat locations. I suggest the following (prices for the material already doubled):
Cold Iron - 40 gp. Might as well get a cold iron elbow, just in case.
Deep Crystal - There are ways to get power points. You can spend 2 pp to increase the damage of deep crystal weapons by 2d6. It holds a charge for 1 minute. Cost 2,000 gp
Gold - Increases the damage by one size class. Unfortunately, the cost is based on damage, so you have to pay for the highest one 14,000 gp. Also, you will need an exotic weapon proficiency, or to enchant it with aptitude or you will have negatives to hit with your heavy hand.
Hizagkuur - Cost 3,000 gp. +1 electrical damage and +1 fire damage on every hit. Can’t beat that with a stick.
Katori Resin - For the x4 critical. There is no price, so you’d need to beat up a katori to make it.
Pandemonic Silver - This one takes some work. You need to take that feat, Versatile strike, that lets your unarmed strike be bludgeoning, slashing, or piercing. If you do, spend the 18,000 gp, your hand can now “unsheath” as a free action (considering that switching from bludgeoning to slashing and back again is a free action). As a DM, I would not allow you to use pandemoic silver’s fear property more then once a combat, but by raw, you can use this every round, at the very least. Why would you care? Well, Look at the section later on titled “It’s Raining Monks” and you’ll see why Pandemonic silver is evil in the hands (no pun intended) of a monk.
Riverine - This is just broken, but by the rules it’s RAW. The weight is one pound. Therefore Riverine feet cost 4,000 gp/each. If you have Riverine feet, your feet cannot be damaged by anything just like a wall of force. Therefore, if you are quick, you can run across lava or what not. Damned if I know how to even adjudicate that, but… ask your DM and watch him twitch.
Solanian true Steel - If you are going for a critical build, this gives you +1 to confirm criticals.
Starmetal - You will get Adamantine strike, sooner or later, but for 10,000 gp, this gives you a +1d6 against Extraplanar creatures. Keep it in mind if you got money to blow, or if you are switching out ki strike (adamantine) for something else.

BUT WAIT! That’s not all!
Why just have metal implanted into your body when you can have them custom made? You need to have those with templates!

Gloryborn: Extra 1,200 gp, but a +1 on a charge. As a monk, you should charge as much as possible.
Hellforged: An expensive 3,000 gp, but you get an extra point of damage for flanking.
Soulforged: 1,600 gp to do +2 damage to anyone who charges you.
Pitspawned: For 2,000 gp, you get +2 to confirm criticals.

Should you get all of these? Don’t know what your build is, but you need to keep them in mind because different builds have different perks.

4b) Under the rules, Clothing is Armor 0. If he isn’t allowing that, you need to know. If he is allowing monks to use AC 0 armor, then there is also implantable armor in the same dragon magazine. Now, unlike the metal knuckles, it specifically states you cannot use other armor with this. It does NOT state it takes up the body slot, so you can still wear magic robes and what not, UNLESS you enchant it. Since the point of getting this is to enchant it, you lose out on magical items for the body slot. Keep that in mind for your build.

It states the cost of the armor is 300 gp x the AC of the armor. So, AC: 0 is 300 gp x 0. +300 gp for masterwork, AC 0 masterwork implantable armor is 300 gp and does not interfere with a monk’s ability to perform monk things. Now, you can also add materials to your AC 0 armor, as well as templates at base cost for such things, as well as Armor Spikes. I’m on the fence about the spikes. I think they look cool and have many options. Your call. Materials are:
Adamantine - 5,000 gp for DR 1/-
Ferroplasm - 1,500 gp gives you a free non-magical +1 EB, but you have to be psionic to use it. Why does this matter? Then you don’t have to put another +1 into your armor. You can go straight to Armor Special Abilities. For example, a +1 EB and +1 ASA normally costs 4,000 gp. A Ferroplasm Subdermal armor with +1 ASA is only 2,500 gp. See? Cost savings. Alas, if you add any EBs later they don’t stack with the ferroplasm, so only do that if you are never going to up your armor’s EB.
Livewood - Run this one by your DM. Implant livewood under your skin. You now qualify for Tree Stride wherever you are. Weird and unique combo? Yes. But might be of use to someone out there. Have a dryad live in your Subdermal armor. What’s that good for? Damned if I know.
Sentira - Emotional Armor. Not a big fan, but vengeful might be cool.
Suslian Chainweave - Very expensive at 28,000 gp, but it’s a DR 3/slashing for light armor. Keep it in mind, if you got money to blow.
Ysgardian heartwire - 1,500 gp to have your AC increased by +2 vrs confirming criticals. Normally I would never bother getting it, except that it’s Heartwire, and in this case it literally is wire around your heart.

Again, Template wise:
Gloryborn: 150 gp for +1 to AC while charging.
Pitspawned: 600 gp Everytime someone strikes you in melee, it does 1 point of unblockable, immune to DR damage to them. Now then, if you wish, for 2,000 gp you could have your Subdermal armor built out of Hizagkuur (gives you a minor 2 points of cold resistance). Since your armor is damaging your targets, it’s acting as a weapon. As a weapon it does 1 point electrical and 1 point fire.

5) IT’S RAINING MONKS!

So, your DM has ruled that a monk’s whole body is a weapon. Great! Buy yourself a necklace of natural weaponry. Take throwing. Get ranged. Now you can throw yourself up to 100 feet as an attack. Oh, don’t worry. You don’t plan on throwing yourself at your enemies. You might miss. No no no. The rules state to hit a specific square is AC 5. You are -2 to hit for every range increment, and your range increment is 20. You will rarely be throwing yourself more then 50 feet to begin with, until you get up to really high levels. So your target number is usually going to be around 11.

Where are you aiming? Above your target, as far as you can safely fall. You see, the slow fall rules are very specific, they say YOU don’t take any damage. They don’t say anything about what you hit. Getting hit with falling objects has nothing to do with how fast it’s falling, only how heavy and how far. Besides, slow fall isn’t like feather fall. You don’t fall 60 feet a round. You fall 150 feet the first round, 300 on the second, etc etc… just like normal falling.

Now wait, you need a wall to fall next to!

No, you need something sturdy. A wall will do, but so will a statue, a strong tree, a really tall giant, an immovable rod, or even the ceiling. You only need to be in contact with it at some point during that fall that round. Nothing in the description of slow fall says it needs to be continuous. You could fall 60 feet and if the wall is only the last 5 feet, that’s fine. If you touch the ceiling at the start of your fall, and your fall is in this round, then that’s fine too. And I would point out it says Arm’s Reach. So if you get your reach up to 40 feet, that gives you a lot more room to maneuver where you are falling. Is this RAI? Hell no. RAW? You betcha.

Why do you want to fall?

Well, the “hit by falling objects rules” are fairly clear. Your average adventurer is about 200 lbs. He does 1d6 points of damage for every 10 feet he falls and hits someone, up to 20d6 damage. There is no saving throw. There is no to hit. There is no dodge, or maneuver, or side step. You fall as a free action, instantly. Wham. You take no damage, your target takes 1d6 for every 5 feet. Or if you hit yourself with enlarge, your weight is now x4, so you do 4d6 damage for the first 10 feet, +1d6 for every 10 feet after that.

You are a monk special weapon. You can throw yourself as many times in a round as your flurry of blows.

Let’s have some fun. 12th level monk. Slow fall 60 feet. 4 attacks, he can throw himself 4 times. He’s enlarged so 9d6 if he can hit AC 11 to target the right square above his enemies heads. He falls as a free action. Wham. Throws himself back up. Wham. Repeat. Wham. Repeat. Wham.

Now out in a wide open area, this won’t work so much. Or it needs some planning, because an immovable rod is a move action to activate. This isn’t a trick you’ll be doing every day, but walking down the street with buildings on either side, oh yeah. And how does the target defend themselves? There is an ASA called impact that halves the damage, but other then that, damned if I know.

He can’t move on your turn. Falling objects hit the target without a to hit roll. You just need to make sure the falling object hits the right square. Hence why I think there is a to hti roll to “hit” the right square to fall from. But that’s conjecture. By RAW, you just throw yourself into the air and you can land in any square you want. No roll. No way to resist, nothing.

Now, if your DM is freaking out about this, I have some sort of rule based suggestion. Now, you have to make a tumbling roll to avoid someone when moving through this square. This is a free action. So I propose, unless the target is flat footed, he gets a tumbling roll vrs your tumbling roll to avoid getting hit by you. That seems fair and is much less likely to get you beaten to death by your DM with a 2nd Edition DMG (those things had some heft to them).

AND that brings us back to pandemic silver. Since your hand can change between bludgeoning, slashing and back again as a free action, you can draw as a free action. So what’s the speed of the air while you are falling? Damned if I know, but it would increase the save DC of the fear effect of “unsheathing” a pandemic silver weapon is you do it dropping out of the sky. Is this one pushing it? Oh yeah. But this is a list of ways to get the DM to want to ban monks, so there you go.

(if this isn’t convincing your DM to consider every body part a separate weapon, I don’t know what will.)

6) If your DM views the whole monk body as a one weapon, then your body is a weapon. Therefore you are a manufactured weapon and a valid target for Hardening spell. Find a 20th level caster. Get this cast on you, because it’s permanent. You now have hardness 10.

Hardness is weird. You subtract hardness from all attacks. Also Double hardness against Fire and Electrical attacks. Multiply it by four for sonic attacks. Multiply it by 2 for ranged attacks. Yeah, you read that right. 10 points of hardness on a monk is 20 points of DR against ranged objects.

Since the spell hardening is Permanent, this is most likely the most broken spell ever for a monk. However, it only interacts this way for a monk. If someone else takes Improved Unarmed Strike, it only gives you use of your fists. Only under the entry of the class feature of monk does it give any inclination that the whole body is a weapon.

7) The WSA Flying is only +1 bonus. Put in a Necklace of natural weapons, if your whole body is a weapon, then you now have the ability to fly 30 feet AS AN ANIMATED OBJECT. In other words, your own body gets to act without you, being about as smart as a skeleton. You have to give it voice commands, but you can order your body to fly 30 feet, then attack someone (at BAB +0), then you can take your full round action. You can even give it a standing order like: If I am ever killed, get away and go back to this church. Your body might not make it, but it will certainly try.

I once worked out that to completely destroy a human body via hit points, you need to inflict somewhere around 300 points of damage. That seems kind of high. I’d put it more around 50, which is the amount to instantly kill someone. That’s just me, however. So if your body is still acting after you are dead, you are beyond raise dead if you take an additional 50 points of damage, or something. There are no rules on this. Again, talk to your DM.

8) Now that we have your base fist, You can put enchantments on that. Your necklace of natural attacks adds WSAs to that, so make sure whatever you select for the two can stack. You can get bracers of striking, but they are expensive. Still, they stack WSAs on your fists. Also, you can get battle gauntlets or ward cestus for your hands. I recommend battle gauntlets. Why?

Because battle gauntlets don’t do anything. They do the exact same damage as your base unarmed attack. So, we can make the battle gauntlets out of some other material, enchant them with WSAs, and everything will stack. Please keep in mind your hands at 16th level are like adamantine. Also, battle gauntlets are one-handed, so you can two hand wield them when fighting. Still, Ward Cestus is a light weapon and has some perks as well. Try this:

So get gold knuckles. Then you get Gold Ward Cestus. Now your hands are two size classes bigger then normal. Hey, they don’t stack! Same Source! Okay, one is gold and one is platinum. Same effect. But But But… Hey! This is RAW, baby. Optimization at it’s finest! You really can’t do this with anyone else and get away with it effectively. Plus we are talking two feats (One for your hand, one for the gold battle gauntlets) just to pull this off, or extra enchantment. This all isn’t cheap. It’s going to cost you. So the knee jerk response to say “no”, is wrong because that’s what happens with monks.

So you can get 4 different sourced of WSAs on the same attack. Some fun combos are: Taking everything that adds energy damage (I figured out how to get 15d6+1 fire or electrical damage) or a whole slew of other interesting WSAs. I happen to have a handbook about that. It’s in my sig file. Go take a look. It’s fairly cheap to get say +15 bonuses on your fists, as compared to the cost for anyone else to get a +15 weapon.

Forrestfire
2017-06-03, 02:48 PM
Wouldn't the alternative be the weapon becoming break-apart?

The weapon doesn't break apart. All that happens is that one side ends up in the square of the target, while the non-thrown side remains in your hands. How does this work, physically? I have no idea. But the rules don't provide an exception to the normal way attacks are made, to cause you to throw the weapon.

Likewise, if you use a throwing unarmed strike, your unarmed strike is then in the square of the target. You do not move, as you are not your unarmed strike. Perhaps this means you threw a part of yourself, or maybe it means it was something like a ki blast. All that matters is that you threw a weapon, rather than taking a move action. It's a place where the rules break real-world logic and result in something quite silly, but that's the rules for you...

noob
2017-06-03, 02:52 PM
Amulet of natural attacks(throwing) is a way to get rid of the weapon named unarmed strike for a monk: he throws it and then he no longer have it.
Then you can sell your unarmed strike to someone else for example sell it to a barbarian you throw it then the barbarian picks it up on the ground.

Deophaun
2017-06-03, 03:54 PM
The weapon doesn't break apart. All that happens is that one side ends up in the square of the target, while the non-thrown side remains in your hands. How does this work, physically? I have no idea. But the rules don't provide an exception to the normal way attacks are made, to cause you to throw the weapon.
What's the exception that needs to be made here? You throw the weapon. It ends up in the square. Since the weapon is attached to the other weapon, that, too, winds up in the square. Where's the rule that things attached to other things do not follow the things they are attached to? If I throw my sword, does the pommel fall off and stay with me? Is that a rule? If I bull rush someone, do they leave their clothes behind? Can I ride in a carriage without losing all the gold in my pocket? What's this rule you are citing that we need an exception from? Because it looks like all the other rules in the game assume the opposite to what you're claiming.

noob
2017-06-03, 04:30 PM
Of course when you bullrush someone his clothes do not stay with him but of course they stay equipped and can still be used.
If you ride in a carriage the gold falls from your pocket(as well as your clothes and your body and your armor) but everything stays in your inventory and you can grab it at any moment no matter how far you are from it.
Also when you bulrush an orc above a pit he falls only when his turn comes and that he takes the free action to fall meanwhile the party ranger can jump on the orc head and shoot another orc(this is an orc monk so his body counts as an item and thus can be used as an improvised weapon) on an orc while on the orc head then by a free action he goes on a random wall in Baator thanks to speed of the zephir.

RedWarlock
2017-06-03, 04:41 PM
My simple ruling? The Throwing property just doesn't work on attached weapons, included natural attacks, unarmed strikes, chained gauntlets, and attached components (like a battlefist). Double weapons are thrown, since it's a distinct item, but it doesn't add a new property, just fixes the penalties to a sub-optimal one.

Now, on the other hand, I have no problem with a separate-but-identically-priced property that 'throws' the kinetic energy of unarmed and natural attacks as a thrown/ranged attack. But that's me enabling the option without the cheese.

Jormengand
2017-06-03, 06:31 PM
My simple ruling? The Throwing property just doesn't work on attached weapons, included natural attacks, unarmed strikes, chained gauntlets, and attached components (like a battlefist).

That's not a "Ruling", it's a house rule - throwing is explicably applicable to natural attacks through the necklace.

noob
2017-06-03, 06:46 PM
Also we are all in a thread about venerating the insane tentacled creature called RAW so if you go there and say "oh I am not a cultist of that creature" then you probably should just not get there it is like going into a convention about climate change and say "I do not believe in climate change"(or going in a school and say I do not listen to teachers) you are going to not give information people wanted in the convention.