PDA

View Full Version : New Avringae Welcomes the Strangers

dmarks
2017-06-02, 02:36 PM
The Royal Hall of Tarrenvine is hardly a great building, and it's stone walls speak of function over form, yet there are the trappings of civilisation, and a carved circular table dominates the far end.

The envoys are met by an assemblage of royalty: the king and queen themselves, surprised and unable to hide their curiosity around their guest. Two women accompany the royal pair: one tall and suspicious, the other almost childlike in size and cautious in her movements.

"Welcome," the king begins, "I apologise that you are met with such a lack of fanfare, but we were not expecting your arrival. I am King Darien, and this is Queen Myrellia and her sister Lady Sorcane. May I also introduce Sylve Truecaller. What brings you to Tarrenvine?"

Viirin
2017-06-02, 11:04 PM
The drider nodded her head respectably. Some of the hair of her bangs fell out of place, but she put it back as she looked up again. "Your majesties. Lady. Madam Truecaller. Queen Morrigan of South Market, adjoining territory of the Swarm, wishes to know the objectives you are willing to disclose, so we might find mutual benefit in each other's close proximity.
If word has yet to reach you, we of the insect nation are pleased to offer education in various fields openly, to any who would choose to make use of such knowledge. We ask nothing in return for this."

A petit man with what at first glance appeared to be bushy eyebrows kneeling just to her side spoke next. "It is as Aliester says. In addition, I am Moonphase, current acting guildmaster of the South Market Exterminators Guild. We were formed to take requests of monster and aberration extermination, but perform a variety of other types of aid as well. If one has goods or service to trade, we will accept it as donation, but payment itself is only appreciated, and not necessary."

There was also a wild-looking woman with twigs and leaves in her hair, and seemed to be wearing some sort of unseen head cover that gave her the appearance of having short horns. She wore a thick gray robe, and didn't speak.

dmarks
2017-06-03, 04:27 AM
Such an array of outsiders was unheard of in Tarrenvine, but the gathered nobles hid their surprise.

"Welcome then, Ambassador Aliester, Ambassador Moonphase, and may good health bless Queen Morrigan. Though we had heard of your people our cities have rarely looked beyond their own lands I admit. It is heartening to welcome you in the spirit of friendship."

"I have sought to unite my people after centuries divided, but only to ensure their safety and prosperity. I make no claim upon your lands, nor the lands of any that do not wish to join our kingdom."

With the formalities done, and assurances given, the queen began: "Your offers of education are truly generous. We know so little of your people, and would welcome the enlightenment. We would of course,
offer suitable exchanges where we could." An offer of a deal, but no specifics: the royals of New Avringae were not about to reveal too much to these strangers.

"Perhaps your queen would allow one of you to stay here in Tarrenvine and let us learn from each other, in an informal way of course." Myrellia's own city had played host to Darien when he was very young: one of the reasons for their early truce. Understanding outsiders was important (though in this Myrellia had ignored the Swarm's propensity to travel as a three).

"Oh yes, a great propsect. Perhaps in time we could send our own ambassador in return to your people's court. We have much you might desire: Raethling steel is good quality and well forged, you'll find none better, or so I've heard, and Baerdine brings trade with the desert peoples and has its own market for wines if they take your fancy? Perhaps when you have seen some of our land we can open such trade routes? Though of course, it would be slow going through the forests between our peoples."

The King and Queen merrily begin listing ways that this could be to their mutual benefit: you get the impression that they are almost excited children (though both are in their mid thirties at least). Their excitement is infectious and soon Lady Sorcane and Sylve are embroiled too. It seems that they find this fun!

Viirin
2017-06-03, 09:40 PM
So you know, when I put stuff in italics, it's telepathic hivemind. You can't detect it. It's also rarely whoever is present- it could be any of my 9,000 psychics.

Only heard of us? What, did they pay no attention while we walked through these lands for the last seven years as we went back and forth between the capitol and Xule?
Be nice.

"It is pleasurable to hear that you do not wish to claim lands of those who differ in view from your objectives." Aliester responded. "The Swarm is much the same. Well, there was one exception."

Moonphase cleared his throat. "In regards to wine, there are especially flavorful beans we have access to for sale in North Market. I will send word to have a stall or two in South Market with the same wares, for ease of access. You might want to experiment with them for various flavors."

Aliester glanced back at him but didn't turn her head. "Be aware that each pod has completely random flavored beans. You can learn to tell which one has what flavor by look alone, though. A personal favorite is pumpkin."

"I like the sweet flame."

"You would. But I am sure that our esteemed potentates can make their own decisions. It is a failure on our end that we did not bring enough of them with us for anything but personal use."

The woman that didn't talk reached into her robe and pulled out a delicately embroidered brown cloth bag, and handed it towards one of the Avringan attendants standing nearby. She seemed to show proper respect, not directly handing anything to Queen Myrellia.

dmarks
2017-06-04, 05:35 AM
The Avringans did not miss Aliester's comment, but they were too polite to dwell.

Myrellia cautiously took the bag, then summoning an attendant with a tray, upended the contents of the bag. A look past between the Avringans and there was a pause before Myrellia asked: "Please do instruct us.
I would hate to be surprised!" The woman to her side eyed each of the ambassadors as though she could divine their purpose with sight alone.

It was then that the small woman, Sylve, piped up. "These are beans you say? Are the plants that grow from them so varied as well?" She seemed genuinely curious about the idea.

Viirin
2017-06-04, 10:07 AM
OOC you read the spoiler? what comment you mean?

Viirin
2017-06-04, 10:12 AM
"They are beans, yes. We have gotten quite a few compliments on them thus far, mostly because of their surprising nature. We have created a plant with our own magic that copies flavors given to it and randomly changes the flavor of every bean in every pod to one of the samples it bears.
If you see the little string coming from the end, you can pull on that and it will gently rip the pod in half longways, so it can be opened and the beans are revealed. Some people choose not to open them, and simply eat the beans along with the pod, giving them even more surprise. You are more than welcome to make whatever choice you will." Aliester gave a gentle nod.

dmarks
2017-06-04, 04:00 PM
Yep, I wasn't referring to the telepathy, I meant the comment about having claimed the lands of those that disagreed with them once before

Myrellia paused. These ambassadors were strange indeed, and her country had had little contact with the outside world, sticking instead to their own communities. These strange beans could well be a trap, poison or worse, and the strangers just assassins. But Darien had sacrificed much to bring them this far. She would not let it be said she would not also do so in the name of working together.

Myrellia boldly took a pod and bit into it, following Aliester's advice and eating the beans along with the pod!

(Assuming your diplomats aren't here to kill the Avringan royalty)

There was a moment of anticipation and then her eyes widened in delight. "It is just as they say!
How marvellous. Honey is in there right? What a beautiful invention."

Darien did not take long joining his wife in sampling the beans: "I'm sure were you to send some of these west to Tarrenvine you would make a small fortune on them," Darien commented, hoping to tempt them.

"I hope you stay a while in Tarrenvine, but when you return to South Market," he paused, not certain that it was a title the way he would refer to his capital, "You may tell Queen Morrigan that she may be reassured of our intentions, and that I hope mutual benefit is managed between our countries. Should you wish to send representatives to our country on a permanent basis I will have rooms set aside for you: I would dearly love to learn more of your nation and you Queen." He would have to see about sending a delegation to this queen Morrigan then. Who could he send, Gyre, Torval, Kleon? Those questions could wait: for now, he would offer the hand of friendship and see what sort of reaction it received.

Viirin
2017-06-04, 10:08 PM
Oh, okay. I was actually expecting them to say something about that,
but that's fine too.

Aliester smiled brightly. "Honey beans are one of the possibilities. The sweet flame Moonphase mentioned are flavored of sugar and spiced pepper. Some other possibilities are pumpkin, apple, turnip, peppermint, smoked fish, rose hip, temple mushroom, and many others.
In regards to your offer to stay for mutual diplomatic gain in the city of Tarrenvarine-" she was interrupted.

"Tarren vine", Moonphase corrected her.

"Humblest of apologies. Tarrenvine, we graciously accept."

dmarks
2017-06-05, 03:43 PM
That would be tactless! :smallbiggrin: There going to want to find out much more about that though don't you worry.

Also, this seems like a good point to finish the first meeting You now have a fledgling embassy in New Avringae's capital. Expect them to send ambassadors of there own in the coming months!

Viirin
2017-06-07, 02:49 AM
OOC looking forward to it. Want me to post the collab?

dmarks
2017-06-07, 11:42 AM
OOC looking forward to it. Want me to post the collab?

Sure! More letters

Viirin
2017-06-15, 01:03 PM
Sorry, I didn't see your response before I moved. I'll post it right now! (checking to see if you posted it already before I do, then if not I'll do it ASAP)

Viirin
2017-06-15, 04:05 PM
What color codes did you use for the text? I need to know that so I can post it colorful.

dmarks
2017-06-15, 05:15 PM
Sorry, I didn't see your response before I moved. I'll post it right now! (checking to see if you posted it already before I do, then if not I'll do it ASAP)

Not to worry! Thanks for doing it.

What color codes did you use for the text? I need to know that so I can post it colorful.

Green is #008000

Silver is #A9A9A9

Blue is #0000FF