PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Artifacts in 3.PF

AOKost
2017-06-02, 03:08 PM
Going over some of the Marvel Universes comics, I started wondering: We know from Dieties and Demigods what Thor's statistics are, and that of his weapon, but what of other items in the Marvel Universe?

What of Wonder Woman's sword? In Kingdom's Come comic, it has the ability to 'shave electrons off atoms' effectively naturally forming electricity with each swing, let alone being to cut through literally anything other than possibly Force effects...

What of her Lasso? A rope that can be be made into a lasso as a free action and upon successfully grappling with it, there's an irresistible zone of truth cast on the subject?

What of the Infinity Stones and the Infinity Gauntlet?

What about the Lantern Corps rings? (DC I know... but in this thread, I feel that since there are crossovers now and then, it works)

Any artifacts anyone else would like to see? Lets PEACH some things if they haven't already lol

rferries
2017-06-04, 11:07 AM
There's a wealth of possible items, but given the tangle that is comic continuity they have wildly varying power levels (the Infinity Stones are a good example; some are much more powerful than others and in combination they make you more powerful than most deities).

Wonder Woman's lasso is a nice starting point as you say (DC rather than Marvel but who cares? :D) - unbreakable save by special means (a standard feature of artifacts), compelling bound parties to tell the truth...not too overpowered.

The Mandarin's rings are something I've always wanted to see. Not as powerful as the Infinity Stones so they're something you might let your party have.

The Talismans from Jackie Chan Adventures too! I think I'm a fan of any collectible artifact set :D

Starbuck_II
2017-06-04, 12:36 PM
Going over some of the Marvel Universes comics, I started wondering: We know from Dieties and Demigods what Thor's statistics are, and that of his weapon, but what of other items in the Marvel Universe?

What of Wonder Woman's sword? In Kingdom's Come comic, it has the ability to 'shave electrons off atoms' effectively naturally forming electricity with each swing, let alone being to cut through literally anything other than possibly Force effects...

Shatterspike was written in 3.0 and brung to 3.5 without an update.
We know this due to this text: "Shatterspike can damage weapons with an enhancement bonus of +4 or lower. "
In 3.5 D&D, all weapons can harm weapons, doesn't matter the enhancement, so we know they didn't actually convert it.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#shatterspike
If actually converted and updated, it should then cut anything even force.

So a +1 Shocking Shatterspike would be appropriate to emulate Wonder Woman's sword.

What of her Lasso? A rope that can be be made into a lasso as a free action and upon successfully grappling with it, there's an irresistible zone of truth cast on the subject?

Actually, some individuals can and DID resist it.
So it just has a high save.

Well, they only work in own plane as Wish, but if attempted to use outside plane they risk unsafe wish limits (usually breaking).

What about the Lantern Corps rings? (DC I know... but in this thread, I feel that since there are crossovers now and then, it works)

Rings that grant magic spells.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-06-04, 05:22 PM

It doesn't particularly generate electricity, though, it's just unspecifiedly sharp. If you want to get fancy, I'd say an improved version of Brilliant Energy that always targets touch AC, but it could also just be a magic weapon.

A decent start; my feeling is that you usually have no choice but to answer the questions, though, while Zone of Truth still lets you stay silent. It also seems to need a helpless target, rather than one that's just grappled.

Going by my recent reading of the original Infinity Gauntlet and Infinity Watch series...
The Gauntlet as a whole would pretty much give you Divine Rank 21+.
The Reality Stone was stated to not be usable without the other gems to back it up. If it was... probably at-will Wish.
The Mind Stone gave Moondragon crazy-strong telekinesis, but she already had high-level telepathy. Pick a couple high-level psion powers and get them at will, I guess. Mmm... maybe all the stuff on the Telepath disicpline, plus Greater Psionic Fabricate, Control Object, Telekinetic Force, Telekinetic Thrust, and Telekinetic Maneuver. That should cover most of it.
The Space Stone gives you at-will Greater Teleport. Possibly more, depending on attunement, I guess, but Pip never used it for more than teleporting.
The Power Stone would massively buff your Strength, Constitution, and damage effects, and maybe throw in some Fast Healing/Regeneration and extra spell slots/caster level type stuff.. It generally seems to augment your natural powers, rather than granting new ones.
The Time Stone... again, never did much on its own, by my memory. Gamora got arbitrary visions-- Divination 1/day automatically, perhaps?
The Soul Stone would have to be a sentient magic item, and probably has the vaguest powers. You could probably use Enervation, Finger of Death, and Wail of the Banshee, with the caveat that the killed creatures' souls go to the Soul World. That... covers most of the common uses, I think.

Gotcha covered (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?222500-The-Ringslinger-%28AKA-the-Green-Red-Orange-Yellow-Blue-Indigo-Violet-Lantern%29-PEACH&p=12209683#post12209683).

Or if you want something simpler, I'd say at-will untyped energy blasts (a la Warlock), with options for single-target or all of the options from Shape Spell, plus Wall of Force, Forcecage, Astral Construct, Telekinetic Force, Telekinetic Thrust, and Telekinetic Maneuver at-will.

Vogie
2017-06-05, 01:16 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?524325-Yondu-s-Whistling-Arrow-(Special-Item)&highlight=arrow+whistleSling Ring would be an artifact that allows you to use Gate once/day (just the dimension-hopping power, not the summoning half).

I love Grod's Ringslinger drilldown - It's a calling more than a simple artifact, so having it as a class makes sense. I would love to see an orange lantern, although it would probably be an artifact rather than a wonderous item, as there's only one.

I've also been toying with the idea of making a 5e Warlock Patron based on Ion/Guardians of the Universe to make a Lanturn Corps... maybe I'll bring it here.

If you are looking for the MCU Infinity Stones, here are some ideas:

Tesseract / Space Stone - At-Will Dimension door, Gate (both travel and summoning) 1/day. Will melt steel and other metals on contact. Also generates it's own energy, so maybe it can recharge magic items?
Scepter / Mind Stone - Intelligent Object that calls for the wielder to protect it, as Suggestion. At-will Telepathy. Mythic Dominate Person/Monster/Animal 2/Day, Contact other plane or Astral Projection Once/Week. Gives two rituals - you can give a person a random spell-like ability; also, if placed in a Golem's head, the intelligence within the stone controls the golem and gives it special abilities.
The Aether / Reality Stone - At-will Altar Self and reverse Gravity. Gives massive regeneration, but bestows negative levels. True Polymorph once/ day and Wish Once/week.
Orb / Power Stone - Massive boosts to strength and constitution and multiple damage resistances, as well as Control Weather Once/Day. I would base it on the hammer Ronan wields containing the stone, based on a Frost-Thunder Hammer (http://archivesofnethys.com/MagicWeaponsDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Frost-Thunder Hammer), but based on Forcecage rather than Icy Prison, then expanded to ridiculous proportions.
Eye of Agamotto / Time Stone - At-Will Haste and Slow. Borrowed Time, Legends Lore and Sands of Time once/day, and Once/Week Time Stop.
Soul Stone - While we haven't seen it in the MCU yet, I think the coolest thing that it has is a Demiplane that is contained within. At-will Locate Creature and a Create Soul Gem variant that keeps the souls inside the stone, and an at-will Speak with Dead. Dispel Magic once/Day, and The wielder can enter into that demiplane as well, as though it was a Rod of Security.

There's a metric ton of iterations of Cap's shield, and the Hammer of Thunderbolts is basically Mjolnir.

For Iron Man or War Machine Armor, I've seen both a Faceless Enforcer/Warlock build with Folding Plate Armor and an Aegis/Crystal Warrior build.

For Antman, a set of leather armor with at-will Reduce person and shrink item, then also once/week enlarge person.

Yondo's Whistling Arrow (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?524325-Yondu-s-Whistling-Arrow-(Special-Item)&highlight=arrow+whistle)

Grod_The_Giant
2017-06-06, 08:19 AM
I love Grod's Ringslinger drilldown - It's a calling more than a simple artifact, so having it as a class makes sense. I would love to see an orange lantern, although it would probably be an artifact rather than a wonderous item, as there's only one.
Thanks! The Orange Lantern would definitely be a unique artifact, I think. Larfleeze would be a standard Ringslinger, but his ring would create Construct-copies of everything he kills with his ring, and everything they kill, while messing with his mind in the process.

Vogie
2017-06-06, 02:43 PM
Thanks! The Orange Lantern would definitely be a unique artifact, I think. Larfleeze would be a standard Ringslinger, but his ring would create Construct-copies of everything he kills with his ring, and everything they kill, while messing with his mind in the process.

That's a good point - It would be good for a BBEG as an Agent Smith/The Borg Variant... but less so for a PC.

AOKost
2017-06-06, 03:01 PM
These are some great ideas! I really love the ringslinger class you devised! I'm working on some quick and dirty write ups from the suggestions given, but I'm on my way to work atm.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-06-06, 03:18 PM
These are some great ideas! I really love the ringslinger class you devised! I'm working on some quick and dirty write ups from the suggestions given, but I'm on my way to work atm.
Thanks! I also have a super-speed class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?216746-The-Speedster-3-5-base-class-PEACH&p=11922343#post11922343) for the Flashes and Quicksilvers of the world, though that's not exactly an artifact.