PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Handling Some Player Feedback

Madara
2017-06-02, 04:11 PM
Started up a new campaign a week ago. We're shooting for the long haul. Part of that includes getting regular feedback from players and adjusting the game. I'm currently mulling over the following comment:

Yes, no level capping was good. I would like to see some of the organizational build up that a pre existing world should have. Everything and one we encountered seemed to have a "me" complex.

So I'm wondering what are some good strategies for making the world seem "organized?" (Not even sure if that's the right word). It feels alive but it doesn't feel connected enough? Anyway, help with utilizing this feedback to improve my game would be great! :smallbiggrin:

Gildedragon
2017-06-02, 04:15 PM
I'm not too sure what your player means tbh. Do they mean that no one feels like they're working towards some bigger thing? Perhaps establishing organizations the PCs can join?
Have different factions give out quests to interfere or aid other factions

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-02, 04:19 PM
Add history to the organizations. Even if the history is not accurate and has nothing to do with the plot, sprinkle it in.

Have conflicts and events that the players can't affect. Guild wars, assassinations, wars, banditry, etc. The players can't be everywhere at once and make it clear if certain dangers are way too high level for them. But make sure these events have some affect on the players.

Sir Roderick the Red was supposedly assassinated by his rival, Lady Morgena, but the courts couldn't find evidence. However, she seeks to rebuild the shipwright's guild, temporarily driving up prices as merchants adjust to the news and worry about what this will do. Then due to her leadership, ships are built faster and better, leading to prosperity and more goods being available then before, including foreign mercenaries looking to get a piece of the action and edging in on the PC's turf just as an example.

Madara
2017-06-02, 04:25 PM
I'm not too sure what your player means tbh. Do they mean that no one feels like they're working towards some bigger thing? Perhaps establishing organizations the PCs can join?
Have different factions give out quests to interfere or aid other factions

TBH, I myself am not really sure what they mean. He's gone camping for the next two weeks, so I can't ask him. Use whatever interpretation you want. All info and suggestions could help me, even if it's not in an area he's looking for.

Add history to the organizations. Even if the history is not accurate and has nothing to do with the plot, sprinkle it in.

Have conflicts and events that the players can't affect. Guild wars, assassinations, wars, banditry, etc. The players can't be everywhere at once and make it clear if certain dangers are way too high level for them. But make sure these events have some affect on the players.

Sir Roderick the Red was supposedly assassinated by his rival, Lady Morgena, but the courts couldn't find evidence. However, she seeks to rebuild the shipwright's guild, temporarily driving up prices as merchants adjust to the news and worry about what this will do. Then due to her leadership, ships are built faster and better, leading to prosperity and more goods being available then before, including foreign mercenaries looking to get a piece of the action and edging in on the PC's turf just as an example.

Would you suggest creating the conflicts first and then figuring out the history behind it? Or would you suggest creating organizations and their history and seeing what comes out of it? Basically, how would you recommend the planning process be done?

Gildedragon
2017-06-02, 04:53 PM
I'd say events and back construct some history.

Have tables for plots

<assoc A> <events> <assoc B>

For events
Allies itself with
Dishonors treaty with
Seeks to end feud with
Assasinates member of
's scion marries member of
Conspires with B against (roll again for C)
Conspires against B (roll again for a possible C)
Feuds with
Insults
Attacks stronghold of

denthor
2017-06-02, 05:02 PM
Describe what some of the events were. Is there a chance they can work for the wrong side/losing side?

You could have a young 9 year old king an ambitious lord that wants the throne. The kings forces are weaker, the kings advisers want to stay in power in the end they will invite the Lord to dinner where a black boar head is served that means treason has been suspected the Lord is executed. This really happened in Scottish history replay on Game of Thrones.

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-02, 05:24 PM
Would you suggest creating the conflicts first and then figuring out the history behind it? Or would you suggest creating organizations and their history and seeing what comes out of it? Basically, how would you recommend the planning process be done?

Either works, so it depends. If you are really good and comfortable with improv, you could start with the conflict and tack on the history later. But in most cases, I'd have a few large and small events in the history planned out and make up the rest. It really depends on your style, and the way the campaign is going.

But if you have a character with high history ranks, prepare more or less. Prepare more as they'll want to know the history of EVERYTHING...Unless you hint to them that perhaps they could make up some details. Some players like collaborative settings, so there's no reason to tap that resource if it works for your table.

Gildedragon
2017-06-02, 06:16 PM
Either works, so it depends. If you are really good and comfortable with improv, you could start with the conflict and tack on the history later. But in most cases, I'd have a few large and small events in the history planned out and make up the rest. It really depends on your style, and the way the campaign is going.

But if you have a character with high history ranks, prepare more or less. Prepare more as they'll want to know the history of EVERYTHING...Unless you hint to them that perhaps they could make up some details. Some players like collaborative settings, so there's no reason to tap that resource if it works for your table.

In the case of the latter: put some of the onus of history on the PCs asking the questions. The Speak Authoritatively rules here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?201014-3-5-Remix-The-joy-of-skills!) are pretty handy.