PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Samurai [PEACH]

Llama513
2017-06-02, 07:24 PM
I designed this based around the legends of samurai and the incredible feats that they accomplished, I got the general idea that I am going for in this class, but I feel like the abilities should be worked differently, and that it is lacking something.

Samurai (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H171530xg)

Rerem115
2017-06-02, 11:22 PM
It all looks pretty good, except for Decisive Strike (DEMACIAAAA :smalltongue:). I understand what you're going for; it looks like it's based off Quivering Palm. The problem is, it's a LOT stronger. Quivering Palm, while only costing 3 Ki points, requires an action to activate, and can only target one person at a time. Without Action Surge or Haste, the most a normal monk can do is do normal attacks, and then activate Quivering Palm the next turn. Your samurai, on the other hand, can effectively force 3 (admittedly weaker) Quivering Palms (4 with Haste) on one target in a single round, or instagib a handful of people all at once. Forcing crits can also break things; any rider effects (spells, magic weapon bonuses, Half-Orcs, etc) on the strike get multiplied, and would cause major silliness if the DM used a critical hit table.

Now, you might argue that the high Ki cost and lower damage on a success balances it out, but the immediacy of the ability more than makes up for it. Oh, the boss made his save? Here's another one straight to the noggin. Also, nothing's stopping you from making all of these Stunning Strikes.

Long story short, (somewhat) spammable save-or-dies play havoc with the action economy.

Llama513
2017-06-02, 11:45 PM
It all looks pretty good, except for Decisive Strike (DEMACIAAAA :smalltongue:). I understand what you're going for; it looks like it's based off Quivering Palm. The problem is, it's a LOT stronger. Quivering Palm, while only costing 3 Ki points, requires an action to activate, and can only target one person at a time. Without Action Surge or Haste, the most a normal monk can do is do normal attacks, and then activate Quivering Palm the next turn. Your samurai, on the other hand, can effectively force 3 (admittedly weaker) Quivering Palms (4 with Haste) on one target in a single round, or instagib a handful of people all at once. Forcing crits can also break things; any rider effects (spells, magic weapon bonuses, Half-Orcs, etc) on the strike get multiplied, and would cause major silliness if the DM used a critical hit table.

Now, you might argue that the high Ki cost and lower damage on a success balances it out, but the immediacy of the ability more than makes up for it. Oh, the boss made his save? Here's another one straight to the noggin. Also, nothing's stopping you from making all of these Stunning Strikes.

Long story short, (somewhat) spammable save-or-dies play havoc with the action economy.

Thank you for pointing that out, I will take a look at that and fix it.

What do you think about removing the auto crit, and save portion and simply raising the extra damage to 10d10, ignoring resistance and immunity

polymphus
2017-06-05, 12:32 AM
Overall it feels pretty underpowered. I mean yeah you're always gonna strike first (which is definitely a Samurai thing) but past a point all that pumping to initiative feels redundant.

To clarify, it's intentional that you're losing the benefit of Unarmored Defence? If so that's fine -- it's pretty unique that a subclass would actually nerf your character, but the 'add wis to AC for ki' ability would be crazy OP otherwise.

See, I'd almost be tempted to make this a Fighter subclass, who gets limited use of monk abilities. The Way of the Kensei already covers weaponmonks pretty well (especially with the recent update) but there's room for a fighter with monk-like abilities. Instead of a Monk who nerfs himself by putting on armor, consider a Fighter with movement buffs and high speed/low armor.

Llama513
2017-06-05, 08:26 PM
Overall it feels pretty underpowered. I mean yeah you're always gonna strike first (which is definitely a Samurai thing) but past a point all that pumping to initiative feels redundant.

To clarify, it's intentional that you're losing the benefit of Unarmored Defence? If so that's fine -- it's pretty unique that a subclass would actually nerf your character, but the 'add wis to AC for ki' ability would be crazy OP otherwise.

See, I'd almost be tempted to make this a Fighter subclass, who gets limited use of monk abilities. The Way of the Kensei already covers weaponmonks pretty well (especially with the recent update) but there's room for a fighter with monk-like abilities. Instead of a Monk who nerfs himself by putting on armor, consider a Fighter with movement buffs and high speed/low armor.

I think that changing this to a fighter archetype makes a lot of sense

Iaijitsu speed: At 3rd level while wearing light or medium armor, and wielding a just a longsword (katana) your movement speed is increased by 5ft, this increases by 5ft each time you gain a feature, you can use your dexterity modifier for your attack and damage rolls made with a katana

Strike from the Void: At 7th level, You can exchange your extra attacks to make one powerful strike, make one melee attack with advantage, this attack deals an extra 2d6 damage, this damage increases by 2d6 at 10th, 15th and 18th

Split Arrows: At 10th level, like deflect missiles accept you add half you fighter level, and when you reduce the damage to zero you can not catch the arrow/bolt, you split it in half destroying it, can only be used while you are wielding a katana

One Strike Two Cuts: At 15th level your strikes are made with such force and speed that they create a blade of wind that can other opponents, when you make a successful melee attack against a creature you can deal your wisdom modifier slashing damage to an creature within 5ft of the opponent you attacked.

Strike with No Thought: At 18th level when a creature comes within 5ft of you can make an attack of opportunity against the creature, this attack of opportunity as well as other attacks of opportunity you no longer use your reaction. In addition if you begin combat within 5ft of an enemy you gain a surprise round during which you may only take the attack action

Llama513
2017-06-28, 04:15 PM
I haven't heard anything on my new version of the samurai, and want to make sure that it is okay before I change the original, or create a new version, feedback would be greatly appreciated